“Best hotel - MUST SEE”

Casa Andina Select Zorritos Tumbes
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Tumbes
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I absolutely LOVED this hotel. I highly recommend you get the bungalow as it shares no common walls with anyone. The rooms are large, spacious, and clean. Everyone is very helpful for any of your needs within the hotel or helping you travel around the surrounding area. The whole layout is in one word, a resort.

Room Tip: Get the bungalow. You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rionadvisor

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We arrived through a third-party website (despegar.com).

The hotel is beautiful and well-appointed. It is relevant to mention that is located a few kilometers from Zorritos, and that is basically isolated.

Not that you will want for anything: the bungalows are great, the food service (breakfast and lunch/dinner) is abundant and quite convenient, the pool is great and the beach, although not fully private is isolated and we never saw anyone not from the hotel there.

They have a zero entry pool with a pool bar. It is a great place for rest and reading. If you want to party or have a more active vacation, the options are limited, but for a family of 4, with a 2 and 4 year old, the options available were great.

The service offered is first class, from all the staff from housekeeping, pool personnel, restaurant and managers, which were easily available to solve and help us with anything we needed.

Great stay, heartily reccommend it, specially if you can book in advance to get good prices.

Room Tip: Bungalows are great value for money.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We went with the all family enjoy the place the food was awesome can't wait to go back on the 25 with friends if you are looking for a place to relax enjoy food the sun the beach this is the place to be with friends or family you will enjoy to the fullest with their awesome pool and spa

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Couple of friends and I, we went to this resort to rest and relax. It was a great decision.
The swimming pool is perfect, warm, clean water, few people and nice drink at the bar inside the pool.
This little oasis in the middle of nowhere is a perfect option if you visit the North of Peru.
The hotel has a new managment and Casa Andina very soon will have a new option in this region.
We have tried as well the restaurant: the food is very good and local specialities are great.
Try frozen maracuya juice and majariscos.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank marcinart
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful but from the moment we arrived there have been problems...our booking.com reservation "hadn't come to them" because "the system was down". After a 5 hour bus ride this wast what I wanted to hear. We had to email them our confirmation. They offered us 2 twin beds... On our honeymoon! My reservation explicitly outlined that this was a honeymoon and asked for a queen bed. We were told we could wait an hour for our room. I explained we'd passed plenty of lovely places along the way and wouldn't be waiting an hour. The manager, a really young and casually dressed guy finally got us lemonade when I asked what he was going to offer us for the delay. We sat down and decided to,order dinner... At 6pm. Each item we asked for we were told wasn't available... Pages of options. We settled on peru's go-to easy dish.... Grilled chicken witm! Within 2 hours I was doubled over with cramps and ill from dinner. It's now almost 7am and I am hoping for a better day... So far, the air conditioning and the aesthetic view from the pan American is all I can say is good here....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chosencrm
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Well, the place is nice, beautiful Swimming pool, but the rooms are too small !!!! the food I did not tried too expensive, the personnel are novice for the job, it needs a experience personnel .
P.S beside this Hotel another experience happened to me and tell everyone that goes to Lima Airport be careful with your Baggage.I took the fly on Lan Peru to Tumbes on the fly 2033,and i put the trip Advisor badge on my baggage with all my Information written in case it get lost?? when i arrived at the Tumbes Airport the badge was gone, that must be stolen at the Jorge Chaves airport because it couldn't happen at Tumbes airport.well that was another experience!!!!

Room Tip: Corners Suits are large and sunny
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alberto A
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Well, to start, this hotel has a promising façade. The hotel has a beautiful construction and the view of the beach, from the lobby, is quite breathtaking.

Upon check-in there were problems. My wife and I did a last-minute-booking on a Peruvian version of Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.., named Despeger.com. We thought about staying at the Royal Decamerones, at Punta Sal, but as we just spent a ton of money on our wedding, we decided to find a more economical, but still romantic locale to spend our 5 day honeymoon. The price we found online seemed worth it and the pictures sure made it seem worth it. But I digress. The staff at the front desk did not have a copy of the reservation, and my wife does not have a printer at her place, so we had taken a picture of the reservation, with the reservation number and price(which was well below the prices listed on their counter), but, hey, I live in the US and I travel a lot for work, so what do I know about these things. I let my wife handle the staff as she is a Peruvian resident and travels a lot as well. They still did not seem to want to accept that the price we had shown them on the reservation, but we decided to deal with that upon check-out, figuring by then they would have a copy of the reservation through Despegar.

The room was nice(not a bungalow), yet very sterile to the eyes. Only a bed, a dresser, a couple of nightstands, and a TV, oh, and a noisy A/C unit. White-painted concrete walls and no artwork to divert your eyes to for breaking the monotony. Yes, we had a sliding glass-door with a patio, but our only view was the building in front of us. At least we had a couple of mosquitoes to keep us company at night... The third day, the hot-water went out, and a visit to the front desk resolved the problem immediately. Literally within 3 minutes we had a maintenance man at our room working on the water.

To get to the beach, you walk across a walkway and you notice that the waves are rather strong. We hung out on the beach the first morning we were there, and saw some people playing in the water, but I was doubtful that you would really want to swim out more than 10 meters. The area immediately North of the walkway was fenced-off private property, and the stretch to the South was vacant and maybe a little more than .5km to walk. There were a few shaded areas to lay back and relax at, but no other accommodations or services. If you wanted a drink you had to head back to the resort to get one for yourself.

We decided that hanging out by the pool was the better area to hang out at. At least we could get food and drinks there. I'm a beer guy and that is what I wanted. My wife ordered a beer for both of us. The service staff outside, is comprised of 3 or 4 underage people that work 12+ hours a day and apparently only used to serving Peruvians, as they seemingly walk in slow motion. Our first beers arrived in about 10 minutes after ordering, and the caps were still on them. Even at the restaurants(non-4 star resorts), they have mastered the art of bottle-opening. However, I am a man, a beer drinking man, and I have never let a bottle cap get in the way of me enjoying a beer. Slight annoyance, as my hands were greasy with suntan lotion(did I mention they were twist-off), but again, I am higher up on the food-chain than my beer! We ordered a 3 course lunch(appetizer, main-course, dessert)as well. We were sitting in sun-chairs and had a little table between us, and the girl serving us looked at the table and seemed puzzled as to how all 3-courses would fit. We assured the girl serving us that it would be preferable not to get all 3-courses at the same time anyway.

You probably do not want to order a mixed drink outside, because their poolside "bar" is really for serving sodas, or beer. They do not make drinks pool-side. If you ask for a mixed drink, they need to walk inside and have the bartender make you one, then they have to go back inside to get it. If you order food, it will take that much longer as they prefer to give both food and drink to you at the same time.

The breakfast was a buffet that served the traditional Desayuno Americano. Runny scrambled eggs, bread, butter, and jam. Sometimes there was juice, most of the time there was not. At least there was coffee. That is truly all I really need to be happy in the morning.

For lunch/dinner the food menu was 5 or 6 pages full of food that all looked wonderful. I must say that the menu items were the highlight of the stay. All the food we had was good, maybe the spaghetti bolognese was a little average, but my wife swore that the Lomo Saltado was WITHOUT a doubt the best she ever had. I agreed. It was very delicious. The mixed drinks were pretty tasty too. As I said, I am a beer guy, but I do like a fine mixed drink every now and then. The Pina Colada was powerful. Down two of those and good night. Same with the mojito that I had. Muy rico! But again, you need to specify that you want your drinks before your food, or you will sit there dying of thirst until your food is done. Sadly, several of the items that we wanted, off of the menu, were not available. When you are in Peru, you drink Chicha Morada, at this hotel, it was on the menu, but not available! Same with other fruit juices.

This is where they could mostly improve their reputation. In the states, the server asks you what you want to drink, they bring you your drinks, then you order your food. That way you can whet your palette, order your food, and order your next drink that will arrive with the food(or just before). Think,"making money through excellent service..." This is why some of us Gringos tip so well. We reward for service. This is how you earn your 4 star rating.

There is no nightlife in walking distance from the hotel. If you walk to the closet town, it would be at your own peril, and I would have to advise against it. Do not take a taxi that the hotel uses. They wanted to charge us S./50(about $20USD) to Tumbes. Granted it is probably safe, but if you are comfortable with your Spanish, or have a Peruvian partner, better to take a Motocab to Zorritos and get a shared taxi that'll cost you 7% of the hotel sanctioned cab.

Upon check out, we were given a different price than the one we reserved. They did not "under any circumstance" want to give us that price. There was another guest, checking out at the same time with the same situation, but with his reservation printed out. My wife argued with the staff for about a half hour and then we found out that their Master Card scanner wasn't functional at the moment. I reluctantly ended up letting them make a copy of my passport, and wrote down my Credit Card number, and they scanned my wife's DNI. We assured them that we would pay. We ended up going to Punta Sal and found another hotel with better accommodations, for a fraction of the price, but that is a different review. On our way back to Tumbes, we stopped back at Terrazas de Bocapan hoping that the Master Card reader was operational, and that we could hang out for a couple of hours there, enjoying the food and drinks. But the scanner was working and they now wanted to charge us a different price than was agreed on last time!!!! My wife was livid and they told her that because she was a Peruvian citizen, that we would have to pay a 18% tax. She did not think we should have to, nor do I, but she had made the reservation with her credit card, so that was their only leverage that they really had, and a very weak point, at that. We just wanted to be done and away from there, so I just paid the fine, er, bill. Now the copies that they had made several days ago. When we asked for those, they said they were going to hold on to them for their records, and we assured them that they were not going to retain a copy of my passport and the other page that had my credit card number written on it. They actually raised their voices at us and said it was within their right to retain those copies, and that is when I decided to practice my negotiating skills, in Spanish, for the first time throughout the negotiations. I assured them that there would be problems if them if they held on to those copies and they immediately gave me my passport copy back, but they wanted to hold on to the other paper with my wife's DNI and my credit card number written on it. The manager at the desk finally relented and angrily scratched out my cc number and made another copy of it to keep, and gave us back the original copy.

This is not the type of service I would expect from a resort that claims to be 4 star and the only plus about the place was the food. I would not go back to the there, and I will be disputing the charge as it was more than $125 the reserved price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jon E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumbes
Royal Decameron Punta Sal
#17 of 18 in Tumbes
Hotel Smiling Crab
Hotel Smiling Crab
#8 of 18 in Tumbes

Been to Casa Andina Select Zorritos Tumbes? Share your experiences!