“impossible to fault”
Review of Habitat Garden

Habitat Garden
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A great apartment, clean, very well equipped and just a short 20 minute walk to the lovely sea front. Excellent aircon made the very hot weather (for me!) absolutely OK. Helpful staff. We had a top floor apartment and there are no lifts so specify lower if you find stairs a problem. All in all though I'd certainly recommend Habitat Apartments!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank greensnapper05

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I travelled here for a 4 day visit to Majorca with my wife and baby. Staff were helpful and very quick to comminicate when asking about cots and other questions before our trip, and were able to help in all areas.

We travelled in late May outside of school holidays. This place was perfect for our needs as it only had about 3 or four other families present so it was nice and quiet - exactly what we wanted. It has two decent sized swimming pools and a small childrens pool in addition, which were kept clean and tidy.

The apartment was better than we expected for the money as it had two bedrooms (when we were only expecting 1) and they even changed the bedding mid way during our trip which we wern't expecting.

Slightly dissappointing choice of food and minimal staffing in the cafe / bar area - although this didn't bother us as we either ate out or cooked in our apartment, however I would imagine during the main holiday seasons this would be fully staffed and in which case would be fine.

Small food store accross the road which did most products - includiung baby food which we appreciated, however this was quite expensive, although just down the road towards Port de Pollenca there is a large supermarket which is best to use!

Easy to find and plenty of parking when you get there. It is under 1 mile walk to the beach, although we drove in....lots of easy parking around out of season along the beach.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor (top floor) which we liked a lot. There is no lift which didn'...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Visited this hotel last year as a family holiday and it really was horrific. We usually go to 4 star hotels so this was a real step down. The room was not clean and was rather shabby. My younger brother had a sofa bed like myself to sleep on and it had a FOUL odour of urine. Luckily we came with another family so he was able to use their sofa bed to sleep on as the one in our room was just awful. The next big problem was the lack of umbrellas to use for shade during the day, in fact I say lack there actually were not ANY so we resorted to hiding under trees and any form of shade we could find when it got really hot. The pool water was filthy and the general area around the pool was not nice. We had paid to have our breakfast at the hotel every morning which was an error, there was absolutely no choice or any type of buffet, simply a small table with a few boiled eggs, bread rolls (often with flies on them) and some ham and cheese. Overall the hotel was dirty and certainly not a 'three key' hotel, i'd say more 2 star or even 1!

4  Thank kateclaire1991
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Like everyone else who read these reviews before going, we were worried, but ended up having a lovely holiday. Most of the things people were complaining about were a bonus for us...where the Habitat is by the main road, the Habitat Garden was further along, bordering a field with sheep with bells round their necks making a lovely wind chime-like sound, and mountains beyond. We had a ground floor room which opened directly onto the swimming pool, so the kids could run in and out at will, and as there's no life guard, there were no restrictions on use of the pool, no closing time. The pool was dominated by the kids, but obviously this was no bother for us as three of them were ours! It was easy for them to make friends.
The rooms are fairly basic; we had just two rings to cook on, and the ice box in the fridge had no door so we couldn't buy any frozen food. There was no coffee maker (take one if you're bothered), and the shower was pretty bad (though I know that other apartments had decent showers...matter of luck). But the beds were really comfortable and windows had black-out curtains so you could sleep as long as you wanted.
The staff were wonderful, the receptionist really helpful and friendly, in contrast to the Habitat, where on the last day, whilst waiting for the transfer which was late, I asked for help to contact the office from a really rude, sour-faced woman who tutted and moaned.
The only thing that disturbed the peace was the entertainment from the Duma next door which wafted over...we prefered the sound of the sheep bells to Agadu. It did make me question the notion of stars...the Duma was a four star, based on a bigger pool, the 'entertainment' and a bar.
Puerto de Pollensa was beautiful and the scenery roundabout was stunning. we had a car for a week, which I think made all the difference, to be able to get about and see the area we were in.
We had a great holiday...if you like quiet and being left to your own devices, you'll enjoy Habitat Garden.

2  Thank RosTyler
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Recently returned from a weeks holiday staying at the Habitat Garden apartments, I would not recommend this hotel, for the following reasons:
On arrival 3.30pm we were told we were at the wrong place and had to march down the road with our luggage to the next block, only to find a hut (reception), with all the shutters down and no one to greet us. A piece of paper was stuck to the window telling us to ring a number to find out where we were staying, just as well we had a mobile phone with us!! After retrieving the key from a box, we had been instructed to read a map on the wall to work out where our apartment was. There was no lifts so we had to carry our luggage up 4 flights of stairs to the top level.

We opened the door to find a very basic looking apartment, however this appeared to be clean with clean fresh towels on the table. We were not impressed with the kitchen area, looked old and worn, with rusty looking pans, utensils etc. and a table top hot oven which fell to bits when we tried to use the grill. A door led to a drying area which seemed to be already occupied by the local ants. Lights did not work in the bathroom and a puddle of water was behind the sink, this was confirmed as a leak from somewhere every time we used the sink, shower or flushed the toilet. The cleaners seemed to be very hit and miss replacing the towels which we left on the floor obviously for them to take. We only returned once to find the beds had been changed and the floor mopped.

The most distressing part of the holiday was to find a man walk in to our apartment using his so called key. (Bearing in mind our daughter of 17 was in the room alone 10 mins earlier than us having a shower after spending time at the pool). After checking with other holiday makers we found that all their keys opened our door and our key opened their doors, this set alarm bells ringing making us frightened to leave the apartment to go any where. We complained to the reception, a woman came to see us and another couple and apologised saying unfortunately their was nothing they could do because it was Sunday and the locks would have to be looked at by a lock smith. This was an absolutely unbelievable reaction to something that must obviously have been going on for some time, how can this be overlooked!! Where is the Security. We were even more annoyed because we were going home early on the following morning, so could not witness them changing any locks. My stomach turns to think we were unaware of this key farce until two days before we went home, HAD ANY BODY BEEN IN OUR APARTMENT WHEN WE WERE SLEEPING!!)

If you do stay here please ask to check your key in other peoples doors and vice versa to make sure they have addressed this problem.
As we wont be returning and have now made a formal complaint, I will be checking these reviews to see if any body else has similar problems.

4  Thank KKMAGPIE
Reviewed 5 October 2009

After reading many reviews i wondered what id let my family into, but you know what? we had a fab time. Myself, hubby n 3 little uns, 8,6 3 yrs old. We paid £1800 incl transfers for a wk in august, with ulookubook.

We arrived in the daytime so "reception" was open and after reading the reviews i knew we were down the road in the habitat gardens, not the habitat. The reception were very helpful and rang for taxis for us etc.

We got a first floor 2 bed apartment, it was fine, balcony, flat screen tv (limited channels, but did include disney channel!), small basic kitchen, 4 piece bathroom with over bath shower, 2 bedrooms, amble storage in the main room, security box u had to pay for, and a outside sink/utility area at the back which was handy for cleaning sand out of trollies and for storing lilos etc air con worked a treat and had to be turned off in the evening as it was too cold!

The cleaners were there most days and we had amble towels changed every other day, 5 bath 5 hand towels. Cleaners were lovely too.

The pool was relatively quiet (i think people preferred the habitat and hotel duva and used their facitliities) great for us a quieter pool, we thought we got the short straw, but no, we had loads of sun beds and pool to ourselves some times! The man came and cleaned and filtered and whatever he did every night about 8pm and the pool was always clean, but cold! The gardens were very dry and straw like unlike the other gardens around, the gardener/pool cleaner/handyman did water it a few times.

We used the facitilies at habitat and duva at night (disco for kiddies, food etc), but we also went into puerto pollensa at night to eat and got a taxi back, about 8 euros for 5 of us.

It is a good walk to puerto pollensa at leas 20/30 mins with little ones, there is a paved area on one side of the road so you dont have to walk on the road but lots of people seemed to. You can also get to another part of the beach by going over the road by the spar and following that road down about 15/20 min walk.

Avoid the spar, its a big rip off, the euorski supermarket is just down at the next roundabout (on the way into the port) and half the price of the spar.

The water park in alcudia is a must for the kids, cost 12 euros by taxi, cant remember entrance but for 5 of us about 50 euros. the kids loved it.

Food and eating out is expensive so come prepared, i did bring cereal,coffee, tea, sugar, pasta, pasta sauce, tuna n baked beans! We spent about 60 euros for a meal and one drink each in the evenings. But also got some nuggets chips type meals for about 35 euros. Burger king on the front in puerto pollensa is good but at 30/35 euros is a tad more expensive than the uk.

We had a fab holiday and the kids loved the pool, so relaxing for me and dad. Yes, the apartments are out of the way a bit and yes a bit basic, but you generally get what you pay for, so if you get it cheap you'll think you've done allright.

Puerto pollensa, the mountains, the beaches and the surrounding areas are beautiful. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Where to begin!!! This is one holiday I will never forget for all the wrong reasons. Before I go on don't let this put you off Puerto Pollensa as it is a fabulous resort for a family holiday and one I have been to several times and enjoyed immensely.
I booked the Garden Habitat after being misled on a website which had pictures of the Habitat Apartments. I was expecting some issues after reading other people's experiences and boy did I get them.
There are 3 hotels in this area, the Habitat, The Duva and the Garden Habitat. I was told at one time all 3 were owned by the same company but the Garden Habitat (as it is now) was sold on to the Garden Hotel chain which has several Balearic Hotels. This Garden Habitat has no connection with the other 2 properties but as I mentioned travel companies are still selling the Garden habitat using pictures of the Habitat (I hope you are still following). I don't want to name the travel agent I booked it through as I am in the process of trying to get some compensation but they booked the room through Hotels4U, and I know of some other people who were there at the same time who had also booked it through them.
When we arrived at the Garden Habitat we went to the office which doubles as the reception and were met by a very rude and unhelpful lady who showed us to our very tatty room. There is nothing more at the Garden Habitat, no bar, no restaurant, no shop and the reception only opens during office hours and closes early on a Wednesday. The fridge was rusty and leaking and the bathroom was somewhat fragrant (and I don't mean that in a good way). Also the back bedroom light was not working which was a blow as it had no natural light. The only positive was the air con which in August was needed. The bedrooms were ok but nothing special. When I looked at the pool area from my balcony it looked nothing like the pictures that had been used to advertise the property when I booked. I also noticed the depth of the pool was too deep for my 7/6 yr olds. I immediatley rang my travel agent and got her to confirm that the pictures on their website did not match what I was seeing from my balcony but she was unable to get me into any other accomodation. We were told by the receptionist that we were not allowed to use the Habitat pools as they were not part of the same chain of hotels. We decided that we had no choice but to use the Habitat's pool regardless, which we felt guilty about and has to be said we felt a little uneasy doing so.
We used the Habitat's pool which the kids enjoyed and it seemed to be a nice enough place and went to the Duva for the evening entertainment which had a kids disco on and other entertainment which we all enjoyed.
On the fourth day I discovered that we had had nearly £400 pounds taken from our suitcase even though there was no sign of forced entry. We did have a safety deposit box in the room but since we were not offered one when we arrived we wrongly assumed that like most of the apartment block it was not working. My partner was obviously distraut and when she reported it to the lady in reception she was met by a shrug of the shoulders even when we informed that someone must have used a key. She did say that she had reported it to the police but we had to go to the police station in Pollenca town (about 4 miles away) rather than the one in Puerto Pollenca, which we went to as I had just hired a car, only to be told that he had no idea why we had gone there and should report it in Puerto Pollensa. To cut a long story short we gave up trying to file a report as our insurance would not have paid as we had a safe.
We were still uncomfortable with the fact that someone had used a key to enter our room as the door and patio were both locked whenever we went out and we were on the second floor!! The only people who had been in were the cleaners and the man who replaced the blown bulb.
We decided to make the best of the rest of our time and did have a good time. (The kids enjoyed the Alcudia Water Park and also I had booked a trip to see Pirates in Magaluf which I have to see was out of this world and would recommend this).
A colleague from work had also booked the same apartments (unknown to each other) and he ran into the same problem as many others when arriving outside office hours and finding no way of getting into his room. He went to the Duva reception and even though they are not part of the same hotel group the receptionist gave him the code to the small black box on the side of the reception at the Garden habitat so he could retrieve his key. He told my friend that this happened all the time (no idea why he would have the code!!!). About 4 days from the end of the holiday, and after my friend had returned home, I was sat on my balcony about 2330 and saw a lady with 3 children and her mother arrive, again unable to get into her apartment. She was obviously very upset and I went down and helped her get her key after going to the Duva reception. I helped her with her cases to her room and the first comment I heard was that the back bedroom light wasn't working. I informed her that the same had happened to me and it wasn't until later did this coincidence start to concern me. The same room which had no natural light not working on the first day of someones holiday. We certainly did start to get suspicious about this and why we were not offered a safe key when we first arrived as is easy money for the hotel. Only when we got back home did I speak to my friend who unbelievably said the exact same things had happened to him, not offered a safe key and his back bedroom light not working. He said he was in when the repair guy sorted his light unlike ourselves. Maybe I am reading too much into this but it is one hell of a coincidence and one I would not have found out about but for an exceptional set of circumstances. We have since written to Garden Hotels asking if is their company policy to offer a safe key on arrival but as yet we still haven't received a reply.
I hope this has been of some use to people thinking of travelling to these apartments as I would not want people to go through the same experiences. I would recommend Puerto Pollensa but would advise you give the Garden Habitat an extremely wide berth and if you are thinking of booking the Habitat please ensure you are going there and not being conned and put somewhere you did not book.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family