“The great, the good and the could do a bit better”

Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Derby, United Kingdom
“The great, the good and the could do a bit better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

My wife, our 3 year old daughter and I have returned home today from a 2 week stay at Playa Mar - we've been to the Pollenca region previously - 2 times in villas (no children) and once in an apartment when our daughter was a few months old, and this was the first time that we've stayed in an hotel as a family. I researched 'to death' before booking with Thomson - deciding that the quality of Trip Advisor reviews, Thomson (as a tour operator) and the hotels own website all seemed to point in the right direction. One of the main reasons for staying in a hotel was that, in my wife's words - we would all get an holiday.

I think it's fair to distinguish that this review aims to highlight positives/negatives for both Thomson and for the "Mar" chain of hotels.

As you'd expect the flight over from East Mids was good on a fairly new 737-800, transfers were smooth as you'd expect - Playa Mar is situated at the far end of the Port of Pollenca, so I suspected that we'd be the last drop off, none the less it was all done and dusted in about an hour.

On arrival at Playa Mar my expectations were exceeded by the quality and cleanliness of the hotel reception, walkways and landscaping - this created a very pleasant low rise set up of the site, with no buildings exceeding 3 storeys. We had to wait an hour for the room to be ready and as noted by other reviewers I was surprised that the hotel and Thomson can't make this a bit more seamless. This must be an easy hit for the hotel management considering that there is a 3-4 hour gap between room departures and arrivals. I noted a few people during our stay doing as we did - and that was to sweat it out as new arrivals in the bar area... when all you want to do is unpack and get in the pool!

I pre-registered with the hotel and requested a quiet, refurbished room with a view. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth while pre-booking on the hotels website - the check in procedure seemed the same for everybody. We were allocated a room at the rear of the ground floor of block 1 (1109) and I wasn't disappointed - any 'rear' room in any of the 4 blocks of accommodation will be quieter than the front facing blocks. Only minor grumble is that there its a service footpath at the rear of blocks 1 and 2 - so at 8/9am in the morning they wheel the supplies for the bar etc along on shopping trollies - lets say the concrete path isn't very smooth and theres a fair bit of noise - sounds petty perhaps but for a hotel that seems to strive for customer satisfaction - why not just go a buy a soft wheeled goods trolley? Unless you are particularly fussy about noise I would suggest that there isn't a great deal between front or rear - the entertainment ends at 11pm prompt every night - most people seems to stay up till at least this time. If I were to avoid any rooms - it would be the ground floor front facing units - as they all have paths running close by (no privacy?) and the front facing apartments at the top end of block 3 - these all overlook the kids play area - I'll come on to that shortly....

Sticking with the rooms for a moment - forget the kitchen if you're intent on self catering that doesn't involve anything more complex than making a; brew, toast, sandwich, warming baby milk/food. It's small and there's very little storage space. I was actually pleased with the rooms - really decent flat screen TV with BBC & ITV in english only (which seems weird as its Brit only hotel), average beds (can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a night in my own bed tonight), reasonable patio/balcony and decent bathroom/shower room. Our cleaner was very good and in fact we turned her down a couple of times - so all credit due here. Our 'aircon' wasn't working one day - sorted out within the hour.

We originally booked for half board, but decided to upgrade to AI on arrival - 19 euros per adult and 9 for children - all considered I thought this was a fair deal and I'm happy that we got our value over the period of the stay. I cannot fault the bar and restaurant staff - all very friendly and extremely hardworking. We have stayed AI in some very nice locations previously and whilst the restaurant was not up to those standards it was a close runner - when I consider the cost then it puts the Playa Mar on a parallel. Breakfast is outstanding - absolutely top notch, lunch time is a more limited service and evening meals are varied enough. If I were to suggest an improvement it would be for some international styled food - again this is an all Brit hotel - so why not treat us to our national dishes - curry, chinese etc :-) I would suggest that the average person at Playa Mar doesn't eat as well when at home and it's the routine of eating so well that drags more so than the actual quality. My tip is to ask for the Cava - we were joined by some friends and were often just given a bottle for our table.

Entertainment was a mixed bag - depends on what you fancy - a mix of Thomson staff and hired in entertainment - the Kenian Boys last night were great. The Thomson team seems to comprise of day time children's team and the mainly evening team of Chloeoke, Cha Cha Charly and the brilliant Gee Whizz. Our daughter didn't gel with the day time 2 hour slots, well described by Tim W below - these seemed to lack some imagination - however she loved the dancing and adored the 3 main Thomson dancers - and that was fine by me. I thought the day time 'tots' session were akin to her typical indoor nursery activities. Chaos reigns in the children's play area and Thomson need to have a think about this - it got out of control some times - if they suggest with their signs that no more than 10 children should be in the play area and also state an age limit then who manages this when there's 15-20 or so kids tearing around? It was pretty wild sometimes!

The pool side beds and umbrellas are a running sore - and there wasn't a german in sight - problem is we all do it as if you can't beat them you join them. This morning as we were leaving (6.30am) there were numerous towels out and people turning up to place theirs. The hotel say that this shouldn't happen until 9am but make no effort to enforce. Thomson say they raise it with the hotel team but 'their hands are tied'... come on Thomson... you expect us to believe that??

A small negative in agreement with Tim W is the effort of the pool side cleaning team at the end of the day is not aligned with the other hard working hotel staff I mention. Resulting in some slippy floors etc. A good cleaning season would sort this out. It would be nice if the hotel got another dozen or so umbrellas - shade is so needed with younger kids.

One day we caught the bus to a sister hotel in Alcudia - Condesa De Bahia (i think thats about right) - whilst this hotel has the fantastic Playa Muro beach and is the same star rating - it is a long way off the standard that we experienced at Playa Mar.

I was seriously impressed with the quality of the entertainment building finished for this season and the subterranean spa. WOW. Well done.

The main area of Port de Pollenca is a good 20/30 minutes walk away across the very nice pine walk. When it's a heat wave like we (thankfully) had in the first week the pine walk is a rather sweaty affair - even late at night. Wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis, but if the weather is cooler then thats all good. Otherwise just pay 5 euro for the taxi and know that you're doing your bit for the local economy! I stress that Playa Mar is on the edge of the Port of Pollenca.

Overall we had a great holiday and loved the hotel - problem is is that when you do something really well it highlights the trivial points even more. Thank you to those that cared and made the effort!

Room Tip: Avoid front facing ground floor rooms and front facing block 3
8 Thank Grandpa-Merkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We visited the Playa Mar Apartments for one week from the 12th June and sadly our experiences of this accommodation are mixed. We chose to visit the Playa Mar based on its excellent reviews and its suitability for families.

Staff - all of the staff we encountered which included those working for the hotel on reception and poolside bar/restaurant, and the Thomson reps and Creche staff were polite and helpful. We placed our 9 month old daughter in the Creche for 3, 2 hour sessions over the week and although there was the odd tear the staff were extremely attentive to our daughter and she appeared to have a good time.

Pool - the pool area is excellent for children with many slides and fountains to entertain them as well as a larger pool which adults can enjoy. There are many sunbeds and umbrellas, however in my opinion not enough for everyone in the hotel. Sunbeds would also be reserved with towels very early, between 6am to 7am meaning a lot of the time you would struggle to get one. It was apparent that some people would reserve sunbeds with an umbrella and leave the hotel for the day only to use them in the afternoon. There are signs clearly stating that any towels placed prior to 9am would be removed but the hotel did not enforce this.

Room – we stayed in a 1 bedroom self-catering apartment and overall were disappointed. The kitchen was extremely small and basic and although we did not cook, you would struggle to do so. The cleanliness of the rooms was appalling with the room for the first 3 days not being cleaned. We were fortunate enough to watch the room being cleaned on the second to last day and in the 10 minutes it took the beds were made, toilet cleaned, rubbish taken out and a mop run over the floor. None of the surfaces were cleaned in any of the rooms and the room just felt dirty. The beds were by far the worst beds I have ever slept in due to the old mattresses, however I am convinced the management has acknowledged this as I saw the cleaners room by room replacing the mattresses with brand new ones. Unfortunately they hadn’t reached our room by the time we left. The furniture and bathroom suite is old and could do with replacing.

Food and Drink – as we were self-catering we did not make use of the half/full board restaurants but did have lunch at the poolside restaurant. The food was basic but reasonably priced as were the drinks.

Location – the Playa Mar is at the far end of the bay from the main harbour. It is only a couple of minutes walk to PineWalk which is a picturesque walk along the seafront past many apartments, villas, shops and restaurant’s into the main town (which takes about 20 minutes). For us this was ideal and made a nice morning/evening walk to the areas restaurants. On the doorstep of the Playa Mar is a small convenience store or about 10 minutes walk up the road is a small supermarket.

Spa – the Playa Mar has a fairly new spa consisting of an indoor pool (long enough for swimming lengths), Jacuzzi, hot tub, cold plunge pool, showers, sauna and steam room. Children are only allowed in between 12pm and 4pm. Overall it was very clean, relaxing and probably the best part of the Playa Mar.

Room Tip: The apartments are in 4 blocks. For those with babies/young children a high floor room that is not...
2 Thank James C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week stay at the playa mar in the beautiful resort of peurto pollenca. Really great holiday but in truth this was more to do with the resorts very scenic setting and fabulous weather than the accommodation. Having read many of the reviews before setting off my husband and I had reasonably high expectations (although we had noted some comments about cleanliness of apartments). Obviously everyone has different experiences but for what it's worth here is our opinion...

Travelling with our 6 year old daughter and 1 year old son we booked a one bedroom apartment on a self catering basis. On arrival in the reception area of the hotel our first impressions were good. Our apartment was slightly less impressive however. The furniture is very dated, the bathroom was rather dark and very well worn, the kitchen area cramped and very basic. Most importantly however was the fact that the floors throughout were far from clean - this was an ongoing issue throughout our stay. The cleaners visited 4 times during our first week and 5 during our second but their efforts were minimal. We concluded that the extent of their cleaning was to take out the rubbish (which was bagged for them) and make the beds (which were often only half done). When our 1 year old got sick we bought bleach and cloths to clean the floors. We also used cleaning materials to wipe a spill from the bed settee. Still damp we decided to turn the mattress over to dry - only to discover a large patch of dried vomit from a previous guest. In our opinion these are not the hallmarks of four star accommodation.

Whilst the pools are excellent for children (our daughter particularly loved the crab pool) the surrounding area is not particularly clean either. Rubbish is left below sunbeds and rarely moved by staff from one day to the next (I spotted a drinks tray sitting on a bin for 4 days before it was lifted). Unemptied bins also led to the smell of dirty nappies filling the balmy air come the evening! The overspill from the splash pools can mean the ground gets very slippy too so little ones are best wearing pool shoes to avoid falls. The only other issue with this area is the old one of people bagging beds by laying towels out in advance. There are signs saying staff would remove towels left out before 9am but this is not the case. To get a sunned with umbrella you need to ensure you are out with your towels before 7am!!

The other thing we were disappointed with was the entertainment team. The kids clubs had to be booked the night before and with one or two exceptions the staff couldnt of been more disinterested. My daughter was looking forward to kids club but in the event only went twice. Evening entertainment was chaotic and often used as an opportunity for the Thompson team to sell their merchandise.

On a plus note we did have a corner room in block 1 which enabled us to use the hotels wifi without going into reception. We did also try the restaurant for breakfast and dinner on a few occassions and found the food to be of reasonable quality with plenty of variety. It wasnt necessarily restaurant standard but certainly good enough to ensure no one went hungry. The hotel staff are largely helpful (particularly on reception) and its proximity to the beautiful pine walk is wonderful. The pool bar is also very reasonably priced as is the mini market directly outside the hotel.

Overall we would definitely return to the resort but sadly not to the playa mar.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Tim W
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

This was our third stay at the Playa Mar and another brilliant holiday. Since our last stay the hotel has made some improvements including a brilliant childrens pool/slides, an entertainment building and the rooms have been refurbished. The hotel and room were lovely and clean. The staff were all helpful and very friendly. The entertainment staff and Kids Club staff had endless energy and my little boy loved Kids Club and the kids disco. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for families.

Room Tip: request a room with a pool view
1 Thank stoneyroses
East Kilbride
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Myself, my husband, our 5 year old and 2 year old all went on this family holiday. Travelling from Glasgow to the resort went without a hitch, 50 minute transfer from Palma was ideal. On arriving at the hotel, our rooms weren't ready for us and so we were asked to keep ourselves occupied for 2 hours whilst they were cleaned - not great when you have 2 excited little girls wanting to join in a the pool area! We decided to go for lunch whilst waiting and the restaurant staff were excellent. Chap with glasses on showed us round and told us about all inclusive and what it involved, which was great..That afternoon we decided to go along the 'pine walk' to explore for shops and restaurants as it was our 1st visit to Puerto Pollensa but after walking for 20 minutes we gave up!!! We went to the welcome meeting the following day where we were advised that if we had walked a little farther then we would've got to the 'main' area - a bit far out for us especially as on previous holidays abroad we have been used to having everything on our doorstep!! At the meeting we booked to go to Marineland and found out about local bus services.. Girls delivering the meeting were very giggly and unsure of themselves and for Thomsons, we expected something a bit more professional! We went to Alcudia market by local bus service which was great and the market was fabulous..and so was Alcudia beach. Marineland was also fabulous and my 2 little girls are still talking about it and watching the DVD constantly!! My eldest never went to the kids club as she preferred the pool but the queue outside was enough to put you off. There was a booking in opportunity the evening before but if you didn't know your plans, you couldn't take advantage!! There were 2 entertainers in addition to the club who we're to come round during the day to invite you to play games etc but they tended to stick to the 'regulars' - we were never asked to take part in anything!! Apar from Chloe karaoke who was exceptionally friendly!
The snack bar where the drinks and ice creams for all inclusive were kept was always busy and I sometimes felt that if we visited often, we were frowned upon. there were sandwiches available in the afternoon as snacks and as people never returned the cling film to them, the bread went hard.. On one occasion I asked for the sandwich to be toasted because of this and was told no we don't toast them!!! Am I just used to the British being more accommodating??!
I am making this review sound like we didnt enjoy ourselves which couldnt be further from the truth but having read previous reviews, i was expecting perfection!!!!
All in the all we made the holiday fantastic. It was hot and sunny, the pool area was great, the food was great and the hotel was clean, apart from the odd incidentals..

2 Thank Quinny74
Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our first holiday abroad just the four of us. My husband and I and our 4yr old and 2yr old. Up till now we have holidayed in the uk with either set of our parents. This was a slightly nervous stressful experience for us both and a big deal, as we had saved for a long time to afford it.

Loads of Thomson staff around, but no-one on the coach to speak to. The coach took us straight to puerto pollensa which was an hour away and didn't take long to drop us off. First impression of the property was really impressed. Checked in quickly and given a map to our room. I had emailed a quiet room request which they had noted (although it wasnt that quiet as above staff entrance and next to road which gave some noise, but manageable) Rear of block 4, top floor. The only major disturbance was horrid neighbours in the next room for the last few nights, who didn't have any respect for keeping their voices down in middle of the night.

Good points - Kids club was brilliant, once my daughter got used to it, she loved it and made loads of friends. Staff in the restaurant, perfect english and interacted well with the children. Bumpy walk into town with the buggies (1 of which we hired) but nice along the front, kids loved looking for fish. My 2yr old spent hours playing in the shallow end of the pool. Lovely food and staff in the restaurant, although got a bit repetative by the end of two weeks. Kids loved the evening entertainment which started at 8.15 and the entertainment team were great with the kids (couldn't fault them). That finished at 9 so we didn't stay up for the bingo and shows after that. The staff at Palma airport were fantastic, we needed special assistance. They explained our needs to locals and they then fast tracked us through no problem. Much easier than Gatwick on the way out.

Bad points - No shade in the play park so boiled while waiting for kids club. Cleanliness of room left a lot to be desired. Hot tub in the spa had badly fitted parts and my daughter cut her foot open. Lack of information relating the creche services, and unless you asked reps or hotel staff you weren't aware of half the stuff available for hire or use. The sunbed situation was a joke, there are signs up everywhere saying that if your towels are out before 9 they will be removed, but no-one did. We were having to set an alarm for 7 on the days we stayed at the property, and then still had limited choice on a sunbed near shallow end of pool, where we could watch our kids. On the day we left at 6am there were hardly any beds left near pool, so think that people were putting towels down at night as they went to bed. If you dont need to be next to pool, there are beds further away. Our suggestion was to get the men who clean the pool area to remove the towels and put them next to life guard and people have to claim them back or restrict each family to 2, which someone dishes out (like another holiday which had a pool attendant). We noted one family took 7 beds one day. Also some people abandoned all sorts around the pool (inflatables, clothes etc) Why can't people tidy up after themselves.

Not so sure about the creche, had a hiccup getting our 2yr old into a session, and at 11 euros for 2 hours a bit steep. We needed to book these sessions early to get them into clubs at the same time but weren't warned this so she only got 1 session at the last minute. This left us unable to plan anything for this time.

The market in Alcudia was worth a visit. We used the local buses which were cheap and easy to use. You can pick up lots of bargains and barter well. The local market in port pollensa was less impressive as they wouldn't barter, so on principle refused to buy anything.

On the whole we all loved the holiday and it was a perfect induction to holidaying abroad. We would consider returning but a few improvements are needed which would have made it perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for block 1 or 2 mountain view if you want a quiet room. Block 4 was ok, but staff entrance beh...
4 Thank Helen R
Newport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have just returned from a one week all inclusive stay at this fantastic resort. Neither of us had been to this part of the island before but we will almost certainly be returning. It is beautiful and great for the little ones as well.
We have a three year old daughter and the daily clubs and entertainment along with the fantastic pools kept her very happy indeed. This in turn made our holiday a very relaxing time. The photos at the time of booking last year did not do the resort any justice at all but looking at the photos currently on the Thomson website we can see they have now updated them. The kids slides are amazing. The only advice is not to run along side the pools as it does get a little slippery and we saw a few people slip (but nothing serious). Also the usual towels on the sunbeds to reserve them occured daily. There is a sign asking you not to do this and that all towels would be removed but we never saw anyone remove any towels. Never the less there always seemed to be plenty of room for everyone.
Our room was cleaned daily and was lovely. The beds were a little uncomfortable but not horrendous. Plenty of clean towels. We had no real need for the small kitchen area but it did seem adequate. Maybe not for cooking a three course meal on but clean, tidy and well stocked with all essentail crockery etc.
Whilst the thought of the Spa was brilliant we never got to use any of these facilities. However it does look beautiful and if we do a return visit it will be on the to do list.
We went to one of the many sandy coves along the pinetree walk a few times in the afternoon. Again beautiful. Fantastic for the little ones again as shade could be found if needed and the gentle slope of the seabed meant no nasty drop in depth. You actually had to walk a far way out before you found a suitable swimming depth for adults.
The restaurant at the hotel was also excellent. The staff were all very helpful and took the time on your first visit to show you around and tell you how everything works. they even have a section just for the children. They can help themselves to food and a few sweets as a treat for afters. Choices were always plentiful and they were always replenishing items that were obviously popular. Pizza and pasta cooked fresh to order. Plenty for everyones taste.
A little shop outside the hotel sold all that you would need. Not overpriced either. But plenty of shops and restaurants on the walk into the main resort of Pollensa.
We truly could not fault the resort and are already seriously considering rebooking for next year. A big thumbs up from The Martin clan.
Well done to all the staff at The Playa Mar for a fantastic holiday.

3 Thank NewportMartins
#1 of 32 in Port de Pollenca
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
#6 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa? Share your experiences!