“Amazing child friendly holiday”

Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Ayr
“Amazing child friendly holiday”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is fabulous..Clean rooms . Excellent friendly staff and great variety of food..brilliant for children of all ages. Will return as the resort was also clean and not overly commercialised..beach nearby was close and clean.. October is the new summer holiday of choice if you get the weather we did..

3 Thank Starsky C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My family stayed at this hotel in October 2013. We were travelling with our 2 year old son Toby.
From the moment we arrived you were made to feel special. You was greeted with a glass of bubbly and check-in was a breeze.

Every aspect of this hotel is absolutely perfect. Staff, cleanliness, food etc. Toby had a great time!

The only things worth mentioning is be careful what block you choose, ours was to the side of the stage and next to the external football club, so if you have young children be mine full of this.

Also with toddlers and babies in mind, it is a fair walk to the shops roughly 20-25 minutes, so make sure you take a buggy.

I would go back myself and recommend to a friend.

IMPORTANT; My review is based on a stay in low season, so how the hotel copes in busy times you should get an op[inon from other reviews

Room Tip: block 1 maybe?
5 Thank puddy50
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The resort is lovely I have been here many times, but this was the first with my boys 3 year old and 2 year old. The staff were very polite and courteous and the hotel grounds clean and lots to do for the children. The kids clubs and the creche were fantastic, both boys came out very happy and night time entertainment was good. We were self catering but we did eat in the restaurant a couple of nights and again very good choice of food and very tasty.
I was very disappointed with our room, it felt very dated. The bathroom had black hairs on the floor and the toilet bowl looked dirty, but I think this was due to the bowl being marked but clean. We always seemed to end up with ants in the room, when I followed the line of ants to the back of the curtain there was a some plasters covering, what I can only presume the ants entrance hole! The microwave was dirty so was the fridge. We had to get the mattress changed after the first night as it was so lumpy! But the staff did this straight away. We would come back mainly due to the resort being so lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hr19802014
Carshalton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I went here the 2nd week in Sept 2013(just after the kids went back to school) and got a fantastic deal as well as having a great holiday. The hotel is keep up to a high standard and I would most definitely go back again this year or anytime in the future.
The staff worked their backsides off and I can not praise them enough. The entertainment was better then a Holiday Village I went to in June last year in Lanzarote as what I liked about here, is they went outside of the resort to get outside entertainment as well as inside which the Holiday Village in Lanzarote did once whilst there last year in June.
The reps work so hard and are fantastic with the kids, I can not praise them enough!
The swiming pools with the slides are absolutely fantastic and your children would not be dissapointed.

We went to Playa Mar a week after the kids went back to school so at nights it wasn't as busy as I am sure it is in the peak Aug/July months but myself and my son had a lovely time and I can not fault this place.
The rooms are modern and I am a very very fussy person, I found it very very clean and maintained very well. Rooms cleaned everyday, floors cleaned everyday and beds made everyday as well which I thought was great.

The food was fine but did get a little repetitive and boring so I did tend to eat out alot. The only thing that I would say was better at the Holiday Village in Lanzarote was the food which was outstanding(7 restaurants).
Here we went Self Catering which I think is the best option to do as you can upgrade to all Inclusive or half board for as many days you like and for what days/evenings you like.
The beach is a 5 min walk away although the main port is about a 15 min walk and me being lazy always took a cab but found the main port lovely.
We also took a bus into Alcudia where we holidayed last year and that only took 20 mins so not far at all. The bus journey alone was lovely as you go along the beach front and you can just take in such lovely surrounding and views.

We met some lovely people and even a family that have been going back there every year for 5 years(I think it was 5, maybe more). The bar staff and even the reception staff were very friendly and made our holiday one to remember.

I am not one to get up early in the morning in general so not one of those that get up early and put a towel on a bed and then go back to bed in our rooms but seriously, if you are going to moan about this then you need to get a life as it happens everywhere and on every holiday I have been on in the last 10 years so you can not hold the hotel at fault. Overall, a great holiday and I would definitely go back again!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The public areas of the hotel are beautiful and spotlessly clean. The layout is also very pleasant with the 4 apartment buildings surrounding the pool area.

What lets it down are the hotel rooms as they could really do with an update. Our first room had terrible damp which became more apparent after a few days stay and our 2 year old developed a cough.

There were a few other cosmetic and cleanliness issues with the room - the toilet bowl was badly marked so although it was clean it looked awful, there were marks on the curtains, a full ashtray was left on our terrace and the cushions on the bed had an awful damp smell.

The reception staff were genuinely apologetic about the damp and were unable to move us right away as every room was filled so arranged for us to be moved the following morning. There ended up being a delay as they hadn't realised the room we were moving to wouldn't be ready until 5pm due to a late checkout. This was just an innocent mistake but rather annoying nonetheless as we felt we ended out wasting a day of the holiday sorting out and waiting for a room change. We'd packed expecting to be moving in the morning and it was just rather inconvenient.

We ended up insisting the manager came to see the condition of the room and he agreed it wasn't acceptable and gave us meal vouchers for the restaurant effectively upgrading us to half board for 3 days. So we did appreciate the attempt to make up for it. The staff and manager are all really nice and certainly can't be faulted for their efforts to put things right. I don't think the room should have been in that condition at all and it certainly isn't what you'd expect for a four star resort.

The maid service was a bit lacking too. One day all the maid did was empty the bin and not a thing else. The new room we moved to was certainly nicer and if we'd been there all week then my review would probably have had a 4 star rating. It was also a bit tired in condition and still not four star but a vast improvement on the first room.

The meals in the restaurant were nice. It's buffet style and there is a good selection. The restaurant is spotless and the staff are very attentive and pleasant. The bar staff were also nice and the drinks were a bit pricey but probably to be expected. One improvement would be to offer cartons of fruit juice or similar as the orange juice we purchased for the kids was served in glassware which isn't practical for a 4 and 2 year old!

The nightly entertainment for the kids was decent enough. The kids reps worked hard. We didn't use the kids clubs or the crèche. We did use the soft play area and the kids park. Both were good although I felt the park could have been better lit. It would appear it's meant to close at 8pm but it was left with the gate wide open so kids obviously still went in. If it's not meant to be open after that time then a padlock on the gate would be a good idea. If the hours are deliberately extended then a few more lights in that area would be a good idea.

We only used the pool once and thought it was good. It was certainly very busy most days which you'd notice as you passed it whenever you went to your apartment. So I can see why people complain about overcrowding. We preferred the nearby sandy coves so it wasn't an issue for us.

The resort itself is absolutely beautiful. A few minutes walk takes you to the start of the pine walk and there are numerous lovely little coves and larger patches of sand along the way. There are a couple of larger beach areas with sun beds to hire too. There are plenty of eating places along the way and a few places to stock up on essentials if you're self catering or just want some snacks back at your room. Prices seem a bit high but then the £ isn't going far against the €. It's about a 25/30 minute walk right along to where the bus station is. There's a Burger King just a little further on and a good sized supermarket at this area. Bear in mind we were travelling with a 4 year old walking and a 2 year old in the buggy so we were a little slower than some people will be. It's such a beautiful walk that you don't really mind the distance.

We stayed at another Thomson Family Resort last year - Golden Avenida Suites in Salou. Puerto Pollensa is certainly the prettier of the resorts but accommodation is a lot better at the Golden Avenida. Both have a 4 star rating.

If the rooms were thoroughly done up with maid service improved then this hotel would be really lovely as it does have a lot going for it in other ways.

6 Thank JCLMC82
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This could be a fabulous report in the truely amazing location of puerto pollensa which is a fabulous town for families. Very poor accomodation made this stay poor, the kitchenette is very poor especially when its good to self cater or part self cater with kids. Room was musty and very tired. Broken light fittings, cracked tiles etc. Most worringly during our stay in September we saw a drunken family becoming threatenning to other guests in front of children, this is an all British resort with many parents drinking heavily in the family entertainment area at night time and unfortunately this resort attracts a mixed crowd from the UK. The hotel manager gave the gastly family the equivelent of a hotel ASBO. Despite 2 compliaints and one official complaint to Thomson who's resort this is, the family did not get moved...disgraceful. One of the Thomson reps told me there had also been a scuffle in the entertainment area during the summer where some buggys had been knocked over...truely shocking. My advice, take your children to a resort where there are families from all across Europe. Such a shame as wanted to find somewhere to go each each year with our lovely little boy and we thought the Play Mar would be it. I have decided to write this review as we complained to Thomson and almost 3 months later...still no response. Please aslo note, this was not a cheap holiday!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank Jojop76
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 5 December 2013

All in all a very nice hotel,the kids loved the pools & Thomson the dog.The night entertainment was also very good & we won €107 euros on the bingo. The kids have asked us to book again so will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013