“Great location, very basic rooms”

Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location, very basic rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visited this hotel in June and had a great holiday, due to the location of the hotel more than the actual hotel itself. The location is 5 minutes walk from the Pine Walk and a good 20 minutes to the centre where there is a great choice of restaurants. We loved Puerto Pollensa and would definitely recommend it for families. I found the apartments at Playa Mar very basic if you want the option to eat in and in need of upgrading. The kitchenette had two electric rings and a smelly microwave, which the cleaner did her best with but it really needed replaced. We were travelling as a family of 4 with a 5 year old and 8 month old. We had pre booked a high chair and cot which were supplied and of a good standard. The Playa Mar is very family orientated with lots going on for kids and the Thomson reps work very hard to make sure they have a good time. The staff; Tricky Nicky, Coco Pops, Jelly Bean and the team are the reason people want to return to this hotel. The cleaning staff are also very good, the apartments are cleaned to a high standard daily. My daughter went to the kids club a few times and had a good time. There is also a nice park and the pool and slides are good. I did have a look at the spa but chose not to use it as there was a charge to use the pool. All in all, I would give the staff 5*, resort 2* and location 5*.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have been home a week now and I have been reading other peoples comments on this Aparthotel to see if they agreed with, and strangely they have only touched on my grievances. if you like rooms that have not been updated from the 80's, that are so small and so dirty you spend all your time in there cleaning it yourself, the beds do not have mattress covers so you can only imagine what the has soaked through to the mattress, and by the way even after asking for one they do not supply one, I personally asked for a new mattress and although they tried they couldn't supply. the pull out bed in the "living room" is an absolute disgrace, and your / our poor children have to sleep on it. The pool area........here goes. I have never in my life seen a dirtier pool / sun lounger, I have attached photos, and there not just one off photos of a bad day they are like this and never cleaned, there was 5 children with ear infections (while I was there) off the cleanliness of the pool. the area around the pool never once got cleaned of an evening so there is stagnant water lying everywhere and IT SMELLS, This place lacks in quality on every level, the entertainment team were very poor day and night and are to young and to inexperienced, but I will say Joe and Emily the Reps will bend over backwards to help you with your guaranteed problems if you go to this place . this is certainty a Aparthotel to avoid.

19 Thank danny c
Wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just arrived back from a lovely family holiday at the Playa Mar hotel in Port de Pollensa. The hotel itself was very clean and the rooms were of a good size. The spare bed not so comfy though and the air con was very weak. You however had everything you needed and the regular maid service was lovely. We had a good view of the pool area and the bar. The entertainment only went on till 11-11.30pm so it didn't keep us awake. Some of the entertainment was good and other times a bit boring although the kids entertainment and the Thomson team were very good. The restaurant food was ok but could have done with a bit more variety because it got a bit samey but was of good quality. The surrounding areas were always kept clean and were covered in lovely flowers. Their were a few pool tables and a table tennis table. The pool area was very pleasant with a pool for everyone and one with slides in for the children which went down very well. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend that people arriving on the night flights should be left with a drink and a snack because there was nothing for us when we got there. We booked a excursion to the water park which I felt wasn't run very well. You need to give out more information on the way to the park for example : where the lockers can be located, where you can hire a rubber ring, where your eating place is. This could have saved a lot of time had it been explained.
The location of the hotel was excellent. Just across the road was the Pine Walk which was beautiful. A lovely pleasant walk along the side of the sea with the boats in the bay. The centre had a good choice of restaurants where you could eat outside looking at the view. We didn't eat out but their was plenty of choice if you're going self catering. The old town Pollensa was beautiful reminding be of the streets of York and the market on a Sunday is good for a mooch about. We met some great friends and have some brilliant memories. Overall I would return to this hotel because my children loved the pool area. You know how the saying goes. If your kids are happy, you're happy. and they were very happy.

Room Tip: Send an email before requesting a viewpool view. We were in room 3314 which was a great view.
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just returned from Playa Mar and had a great holiday but this was more due to the fantastic location in Puerto Pollensa rather than the hotel itself. Whilst the grounds, pool area, restaurant and reception are all very nice, the rooms themselves are so very tired.

Rooms

We had an ant invasion pretty much for the whole week - they were marching into the lounge via a gap between the floor and patio doors, not the end of the world but sleeping on the pull out bed meant that ants had easy access to my face. The room also has a bit of a damp smell, Light fittings were loose, the furniture looked like it had been directly imported from the 70's, the hair dryer was broken and the patio doors would not lock without opening and ramming shut about 4 times. The rooms are also very small and the coffee table had to be temporarily removed to the balcony for a bit of extra space. The 'kitchen' is not a kitchen but a corner with a fridge and cooking ring but to be fair we expected this from the holiday brochure.

However, the air-con was fine, room was very quiet (as mountain side, not pool side), shower was excellent and the maid service brilliant. Apart from making friends with a colony of ants and eating a few in my sleep the rooms are ok for a week but could not in a million years be described as the official 4* rating.

Sun Bed Reserving

I've never seen anything quite like it! You have to be up at 6:30 - 7:00 am to reserve a sun bed or you will have little or more likely no choice which is not ideal when you want to keep an eye on young children. A couple of people just left their towels there all day and overnight, effectively reserving the sun beds for the duration of their holiday! If you can't beat them, join them and despite signs displayed around the hotel everybody accepts it and gets on with it.

Pool Area

Great, kids loved it. Although it does get very busy so don't imagine you will be spending your time relaxing reading a book whilst you children quietly play in the pool. Picture Lady Ga Ga blaring, children at war with each other with long range water pistols, adult water polo getting a bit feisty and the entertainment staff dancing to £1 fishy.

Restaurant

A welcome sanctuary from the hectic pool area and never too busy during our week. Food was good quality with a fair amount to choose from. The restaurant staff are really really good and recognised you, made an effort to say hello and make a fuss of the kids. We booked self catering but upgraded to half board on arrival. (Thomson wanted £500+ but it's much cheaper direct with the hotel, I think it was about 430 Euros for 2 adults and 2 children for a week) and you can do it on a daily basis if you wish, although you get a 15% discount when booking 5 or more days.

My youngest also has a strong allergy to nuts and when we explained to the restaurant manager on the first night he took us around and explained what each food was and what she could or couldn't have - to her (and our) great relief, the delicious ice-cream was ok! (although there were open bowls of nuts dotted around). First class and put our minds at rest.

Staff

Both the hotel staff and Thompson staff we met were very friendly and helpful. My oldest needed to see a doctor and we asked for directions to the nearest medical facility - reception kindly organised a taxi and rang ahead to say we would be coming.

However, the Playa Mar receives a visit from a local doctor most days at 10:45 so reception should have told us to wait, particular as the doctor they sent us to in town to see was the same one coming to Playa Mar!

Note that there is a standard 80 Euro charge, payable in cash, to see the hotel doctor (we saw her for about 5 minutes) with the cost of medication on-top which requires collection from the local pharmacy (walk to the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Store along the Pine Walk and just turn right).

Puerto Pollensa

Breathtaking - a beautiful place to visit during the day for the beach or during the evening to enjoy the surroundings. If you visit please don't miss the Pine Walk, it's only 15 minutes and there is nothing nicer to sit having a beer at a nice beach front restaurant, enjoying the spectacular view in the warm evening sun.

Overall

If you are after a peaceful, relaxing or luxurious break then you may not enjoy coming to Playa Mar but then I am not sure it's designed to be any of these things. If you want a fun packed holiday in the sun (perfect weather, blue skies with a breeze) for all the family and don't mind too much on the quality of the room then you will love it - I talked to plenty of people who return year after year. If the accommodation had been better quality and a little less busy then personally I would have enjoyed it a little better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank WayPort33
County Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Playa Mar between the 20th of July and the 3rd of August. We had a great holiday and found the hotel very safe for our boys aged 8 and 10. The cleanliness of the rooms, restaurant , bar and spa areas were excellent and couldn't be faulted. One thing we did notice was the same cleaning standards were not given around the pool area. On one occasion we chose seats between the main pool area the childrens slides. We had not realised that there may of been a problem with the drains , as the tiles around here were very slimy and looked liked they had not been given a good clean for some time. I thought that this must of been a bad day but noticed to be the same throughout our stay , so stayed away from those beds for the rest of the holiday. I did mention this on a Mar hotel questionaire given out to guests during the first week of our stay.

Good points: Our boys had a great time at the hotel , and the thomson team of entertainers, and childcare staff were fantastic with them. They all worked very hard and cannot believe the previous guest comments. Some staff we spoke to worked six days a week from eight in the morning till midnight. They all had endless energy, and tried really hard doing their jobs. A special mention goes out to Tricky Nicky who our children loved. On our last night we bumped into her in a restaurant on the pine walk, on her night off. She came straight over to our table to see the children and we all got a hug off her and a great send off.

Room; We had a pool view just above the snack bar which was lovely. This was room 214 in block 2. The air conditioning worked fine as soon as we got another room card from reception that allowed us to keep it on all the time ( apart from when the cleaners pulled it out). Yes the rooms are not the biggest but you don't go on holiday to stay in your room. We managed fine with two children. They were cleaned every day and towels were changed daily also.

Restaurant; We stayed on a self catering basis , as we enjoy eating out along the pine walk and the square. we did eat at the restaurant on a couple of occasions and found the food nice with a lot of choice. I think if we had paid for all inclusive I would of been a bit disappointed as the restaurant was quite warm with no seating outside. For a special treat for the children we upgraded to all inclusive for one day and got a good deal from Sebastian on reception as it was near the end of our holiday. We enjoyed having the freedom of the bar and ice creams but was disappointed that we had to go to the main restaurant on the dinner time as the snack bar was only for paying guests.
All in all we ad a great holiday and would consider this hotel again in the future .

Room Tip: Blocks 1 and 2 facing the pool get the sun on a morning . 3 and 4 facing the pool get evening sun.
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed in Playamar at the beginning of july and we had a great holiday.

They definitely need to update the aircon & the rooms but neither would put me off going back.

From the moment we arrived till we left the staff were more than helpful. They couldnt do enough for you and were very entertaining to my 15 month old girl.

We went all inclusive as i didnt want any hassle as regards cooking/drinks etc. We found the food very nice, it changed every night and also there was plenty of favourites that were available every night if you wanted them (pizza,salads etc).

Just a mention to all the staff at reception and in the restaurant, they were absolutely brilliant all the time and i couldnt find fault in them at all.

Entertainment was very good for children, in particular my baby loved Thomson the dog!!

Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Macers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have just returned from our second holiday ( myself, hubby and boy 7yrs, girl 9yrs old) at the Playa Mar which was every bit as fun as the first visit. Everything I hoped was still there was; the fantastic pool layout to keep the kids entertained all day, they love the crab slide and playing in the fountains. Thomson entertainment crew were busy too and the kids had fun in several of the clubs and parties making new friends.
This was our second visit and we booked again because our first stay was so good and we loved the peaceful location! Yet 5 minutes walk along the prettiest coastline I've seen ( including places like the Caribbean and Norway) and you reach a good selection of restaurants and shops.On this occasion the hotel really showed it's high level of commitment and service to our family as at the present time I am following an extremely strict eating plan for health reasons. This means for a period of a few months I pretty much can only eat fish, vegetables and fruit ( no potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, corn, tomatoes, sauces, vinegar, sugar, honey, dairy, soya, eggs, wheat). Having a healthy appetite I was worried there would be nothing for me to eat and I would be hungry during my holiday. The Playa Mar dinning room had a stunning selection of dishes every night but many included the things I could not have. However, thanks to the care of Sebastian, Toro, Ange and the talented chefs I was made a personal meal every night to meet my requirements! The food was fresh, varied, tasty and presented beautifully within minutes of being seated. The choice for my family to eat too was first class, especially the themed nights, cheff's griddle, Spanish section, children's choice, and daily chocolate fountain. Breakfast and lunch too were a pleasure for my family to attend and made the holiday so much more relaxing being able to eat wonderful food so conveniently. We even celebrated our wedding anniversary with a surprise bottle of champagne (water for me this year). The staff in general all took time to chat and to have fun with the children. I remember when mine were in high chairs feeling uncomfortable if they made a mess but at the Playa Mar there were several young children and the staff were extremely welcoming and attentive.
If you are thinking of booking this hotel and would love your family to relax and have fun in a part of Mallorca then you won't be disappointed. The hotel team will really look after you.

• Stayed July 2014
#1 of 32 in Port de Pollenca
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
Viva Zafiro Alcudia & Spa
#6 of 48 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa? Share your experiences!