“Location Good, Value for money - Excellent”

Apartments Oro Playa
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Location Good, Value for money - Excellent”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

It is easy to see why so many people have registered a positive review of the Oro Playa. I will admit that when we went I was not expecting much because of the pice we were paying, but in truth the experience was one that can be summed up with "Value for Money".
The location is a very short walk to the main neaches with their selection of restaurants.
I didn't like the bed I was sleeping in.
The bathroom was "old and tired"
The kitchen facility was also old and tired.
In fact the whole place is a little old and tired.
I didn't like the road noise
BUT the staff were very pleasant and we had clean towles and sheets on a regular basis.
AND
it still represents good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed recently in the Oro Playa Apartments June 2012. I am a huge fan of Puerto Pollenca as a resort and have been coming here for over 18 years now. I chose the Oro Playa as I wanted a last minute cheapie week away to my favourite place and did so by booking through an internet site and got a very reasonable deal indeed. The apartments themselves are in a great location only a street away from the infamous Pine Walk and a short walk from the town itself. They are very basic and for a week are bearable- but no more than a week. It has everything you need yet the one thing that let them down terribly was the standard of hygiene. It was absolutely horrendous. We had to ask the maid to clean our floors as our feet were grubby every time we walked on them. Some days the maids did not come at all and our bathroom walls were streaked with dirt, once you had a shower the steam ran dirty condensation like they had not been cleaned prior to our arrival. The balcony had clearly not been cleaned at all. The doors were thick with dirt and we ended up going to our local supermarket to buy cleaning products to clean the living area and kitchen ourselves as it would not have been safe to eat there. The day before we were leaving I realised that I had a very strange sensation on my right foot when I got up in the morning, to my horror I had been eaten alive by bed bugs! This was due to no mattress covers being used. Oh dear Oro Playa you almost ruined my holiday! Knowing quite a few of the locals I asked their thoughts and they informed me that it had only reopened for the season a few days before we arrived so that it was very likely our rooms had not been revisited prior to our arrival to be checked or dusted down...... Yuck! What a shame, as it could be so good?! Don't understand why some form of senior member of management from the Mar chain of hotels does not come and have a good look at this ? A really good deep clean and a few inexpensive touch ups would really go far here. The key thing for me is ,whilst we got a very cheap deal, cleanliness and hygiene is business as usual and is just a given in my book ..... If there had been some sign of standards here I would have returned but the lack of management follow up is very, very evident and is costing the company dearly and I will never be back. I did not mention earlier that the pool was another very worrying scenario , no cleaning from day to day only rising oils from sun cream , sand and parts of tree branches floating in it daily. Such a pity as the pools could be really lovely. I couldnt swim in it at all. For what it's worth the reception colleague is a lovely lady and shows great welcome to guests.
Do not consider this hotel until they have cleaned it up, it will only annoy you and holidays aren't for that. Some great nearby places to consider. Playa d'Azul , Flora if you're looking for cheaper options. If you are ok paying a little extra then consider the Miramar hotel apartments ( Maricel 1&2) these are fab. Daina also excellent.
Puerto P is a magical place and I love it, but I have had my first poor experience here in nearly 19 years with the Oro Playa , so that's not too bad I suppose!

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side get very little sun if you wish to sit on your balcony. Pool side looked a l...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank looper_9
Liverpool
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed at the Oro with my wife and kids numerous times, could never fault, staff are fantastic!!
Location superb, just one minute from pine walk (beach).
Stayed many places in Puerto pollenca, this one beats the lot! Total value for money!
Ok little tired but very clean, book Oro Playa, you wont be sorry...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Derek G
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We were here last july (2011) and really enjoyed our stay, the apartments are in a good location, and the entertainer, coco, was really friendly and great with both activities for kids and adults. possibly going to return next year and really hoping coco will still be there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ryan m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

before i write my review on this hotel, please note it is a 3 star apartment hotel, so the rating reflects the services and standards.

the hotel location is good just few minutes from the town center and easy access to transport... you should not miss going to fermantor beach.. it is a great day out and it is about 10 minutes by bus from Pollenca bus stop... the apartment is great for what it is. bathroom is clean and the apartment is will furnished. yes the hotel may need a lick of paint but nothing about the kitchen area, bathroom or bedroom is not clean... the maid used to clean on daily basis, and the apartment was spotless.... the entertainment is good and the animation team could not do anymore for you and keeping busy all the time we were on self catering so i can not really comment on food quality, but had some snacks and the food was good...

i would recommend the hotel is you are going on a medium range budget and wishes to go out and have fun

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank loaalosha
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I came here with my mum,dad & sister and I must say,what a holiday, loads of stuff going on day and night, overall a brill holiday! RECOMENDED

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Dom100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

For a start, if you are looking for a five star hotel, or are even used to staying in them or whatever then under no circumstances should you think that I am saying Oro Playa is in competition with them.

However for the money my girlfriend and I paid i was more than satisfied.
Double Bed; Check
Air Con; Check
Decent pool; Check (though why you wouldn't go to the beach I don't know)
Great location; Check
Polite Staff; Check
Entertainment; Check (the highly talked about Coco was very charming)
Nice, not expensive bar; Check

There are of course negatives that I'd have to really nit pick in order for them to be worth talking about but for what my girlfriend and I wanted (i'm 20 and shes 19) we found ourselves in a spot of luck. People who complain about the small details really get me down. This place is dated, sure! But then again you're paying (once you've minused the flight price from a package holiday) maybe 200 for a week in a prime location. Please find me a better deal or place than Oro Playa. We had a great relaxing time, had dinner with a couple 40 years our senior and were just as complimentary about it, so the snotty reviewers can really shove it!

Make sure you visit Formentor, x

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple