“Perfect choice for relaxed family vacation”

Apartments Oro Playa
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Perfect choice for relaxed family vacation”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed here for a week with my husband and two girls aged 11 and 15 and we enjoyed it very much. It was exactly what I had hoped it would be.

I was looking for a no-frills, clean, decent family oriented hotel as a basis for exploring Puerto de Pollenca and Mallorca. I had read some of the more dismal reviews here on Tripadvisor, but had chosen it anyway due to the location, a hunch, and decent reviews at the travel agent. I was a little anxious seeing as the cool people on the forum seem to really dislike it, but as it turned out, I had nothing to worry about.

The apartment is basic and clean and with daily maid service, we had no issues. The facilities for cooking yourself seemed quite insufficient, but we had no intention of cooking ourselves when there are so many great and affordable eating options within 5 minutes of the hotel. As a simple tea/coffee kitchen it works fine. The bathroom was nice, well-equipped and the shower was very fine - we tend to get fussy about water pressure and how it is dispensed, and we had no complaints on that account.

The food and drinks at the hotel is as can be expected. We used the bar quite a bit, both for the shade and for the wi-fi (which is only available in the lobby area - but free) and the drinks service was impeccable. Decent beer, sangria and options for the kids. Nothing fancy, but it got the job done. We only ate at the hotel once (for lunch) and it was very mediocre. I thoroughly recommend just popping across the street to Coral Bar for a fast snack, if needed. It looked like the hotel had an all-inclusive option, but it did not seem to be used a lot and again, it would seem a waste with so many good eating options around town.

The hotel of course has the inevitable "evening entertainment" but it is what it is. At least it went quiet before midnight - and so did the entertainment at the similar, neighbouring hotels.

The pool was great - varying depths and seemed to never be over-filled. There is some competition for sunbeds, but you can always find extra and we never had trouble, even when hitting the pool later in the day. Manuel provides entertainment for the kids - very non-intrusive and he was really great from what we saw, so that should not deter you at all.

The location is perfect. So close to the beach, Pine Walk and all the restaurants - and we did not have a bad meal at all. I recommend the Coral for a quick bite and just five minutes walk down the Carrer de Formentor (the road that the hotel is on) brings you to very nice [url=http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1028722-d2283206-Reviews-Restaurante_Ambrosia-Port_de_Pollenca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html]Restaurante Ambrosia[/url], where we had breakfast every day. Solid English breakfast, and divine yoghurt with fruit and muesli. They also do pancakes even if it is not on the menu :) The best evening meal we had was at the (url=http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1028722-d3369499-Reviews-Centric-Port_de_Pollenca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html]Centric[/url]. Really excellent taste for the same amount that you pay elsewhere.

1 Thank Kamilla W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was the second time me and my family arrived to Port de Pollensa and oro playa. Last year we hade a great experianse when we came to the hotel, so we needed to travel back again this year.
This time was so greatful to, Music- new and international, show- for kids and adults och the Bingo its saved the evnings !
Even this year Manuel did an fantastic work to keep this hotel happy, familyfun, and full of activities ! that is what make this hotel so fantastic!
We lived in one of the new rooms and they were fresh and have new and nice and Clean furnitures inside!
I will be back again! and a big tribute to manuel! APLAUSE!
thanks a lot! Tack så mycket

1 Thank SwedishElin
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have just returned from a week stay at Oro Playa with two of my friends.

All in all a nice hotel, very family based with entertainment all night and day but a few problems.

Was a little disappointed when we arrived to find we had been allocated a ground floor apartment at the back of the hotel. Being 3 young girls this was not very safe (with a public carpark to the rear of the hotel it felt like anyone could gain access to our room). When we asked to be moved at reception we were informed there was no where to move to so we had to make do.

We stayed in one of the new modern apartments which was lovely however it seems they have not thought about some very basic things during the refurb - No towel rail in the bathroom or anywhere at all! Also no shelf in the shower for toiletries so everything had to be kept on the floor. I would also agree with some other reviews I have seen that the shower although very nice and modern has 4 nobs to turn and your guess is as good as mine! No labels to say which one does what and my daily shower consisted of 5 mins turning different nobs until you eventually got it right!

Reception told us to leave towels on the floor if we wanted them changing however one day the maids took them all away but didnt replace them. Nor did they give us any more toilet roll so we had to go to Reception to ask for some. I was also very disappointed one day when I nipped back from the beach for a quick shower at approx 4pm when a maid knocked on the door to clean the room. It was clear I had just hopped out of the shower as I stood there in just a towel and asked the maid if she could come back in 5 minutes. She shouted to her colleague next door who just shouted back 'no! no!' so basically it was we clean now or not at all. I had to say ok don't clean then. I thought this was very unflexible and unaccommodating considering I was stood there in a towel and only asked for 5 minutes not half an hour! And considering we had been out of the room all day, they chose the 10 mins that I had nipped back for a shower!

Also, the maids don't seem to have much consideration for guests when it comes to noise. We were unfortunately located right next to the maids cupboard to which they liked to bang around in and chat from 6am every morning! One morning I was awoken by them chatting outside our balcony and piling up fresh towels for the day on our wall!

Pool area is nice but it's a fight for a sunbed every morning! All staff (besides the maids!) were very friendly especially Carolina (I think) on the bar.

Besides the hotel itself, it is a great location just 2 mins from the beach and all the restaurants. Be sure to visit the market on the square on a Wednesday or Sunday!

Room Tip: My reccommendation is to ask for a high floor room away from the stairs - on the ground floor you he...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been to Oro Playa six times now and every time i go it just keeps getting better and better. This year when i went it changed my whole life and its due to the fact that the staff, entertainment/entertainment and bar staff all made it perfect and easy to enjoy. I want to personally thank Manuel for being such a great part of me and everyones holiday and also all the bar staff like andreas and carolina also made the experience perfect for me. Everyone is so friendly and seem genuinely caring by trying to always, everyday, make you feel like your in heaven. I cant wait to go again next and see what more this amazing hotel, staff and location have to offer.

• Stayed June 2014
Cardiff
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Second time here and even better this time round. Manuel was great with Kids and had a great dry sense of humour which we felt hilarious.
Location is superb and facilitates very good for the price. Staff friendly and rooms fine. Would definitely recommend

Stayed July 2014
Sunderland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked a last minute holiday and chose Oro Playa because it was cheap and close to the beach. Based on the price and some of the reviews I was very dubious about staying here.

On arrival the receptionist was lovely and very helpful, our apartment although basic was clean, a good size and had everything we needed. The air con does work, you just need to ensure the doors and windows are closed. The pool area is nice, the pools a good size and our girls loved it. The apartments are literally a 2 minute walk to the beach, excellent restaurants (La Roc over the road and down a street to the left is great) and shops. Location wise I don't think there is anywhere I would rather have stayed, especially for the price!

The apartments that have not been renovated are dated but perfectly ok and ours was cleaned daily and spotless. There is free wifi around the pool but not in the rooms, unless you're near the reception and pool area.

The highlight of our holiday as far as our daughters were concerned was Oro Playas entertainer Manuel. He is amazing with the kids and they all loved him. He does games throughout the day around the pool area if they want to join in and then a kids disco on the evening followed by some child friendly adult entertainment. I usually hate that kind of thing but even I enjoyed it!

If we go back to Puerto and want to stay in a complex I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Gillh78
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Three adults stayed in a one bedroom apartment at this Hotel for 7 nights last week of June 2014.

The apartments are clean and were ok for three of us, could of been a bit cramped for 4.The rooms are cleaned everyday and towels changed without fail, the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel- no complaints here.

The Tv,s in the room are a joke if i wanted to be picky but hey we didnt go away to watch the tele.The pool area is kept clean but a lot of the sunbeds are broken. We went to the beach everyday and came back each teatime around the pool for a few beers- reasonable prices.

The hotel is situated in a quite positiont just 100yards from the lovely beach and pinewalk area , actually you are not far from most places within the resort if you stay here.

Again if you want to be picky as you look around the apartments a coat of paint and some new furniture would brighten it up but i have no major issues and would go back.

7/10 Great location,Food /Beer good and staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends