“Return Trip”

GreenLeadersGold level
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Return Trip”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our second visit to the hotel Mar Calma & we weren't disappointed, the standard of service, quality & friendliness of the staff hasn't slipped, they're still second to none. This small hotel is ideally located, almost on the town square & approximately 100m from the beach. The roof terrace has loungers & jacuzzi, ideal place to read & soak up the sun. The breakfast is excellent & the service too. We will return again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Carlos C, Director de Recepción at Mar Calma Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your review, hope to see you again soon at The Mar Calma Hotel.

Carlos Capllonch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is different than the photos, if you have a room booked, do
yourself a favor and cancel it. I stayed there last week and we had a terrible
experience. I filed a complaint at the hotel, as it is standard practice
in Spain with the OMIC.

I read the reviews and requested a room on a high floor away from the Irish Pub.
This was confirmed in an email from booking.com, but when I arrived the manager said
they had no record of my request and said later the email strictly said "quiet
room". I was placed in room 202 directly above the Irish Bar on the second
floor. I was very upset and felt deceived, I was assured by the manager that
this was a quiet room which I suspected and found out was not true. In truth,
half of the hotel faces this street with bars and restaurants that plays loud
music until 1 am.

The room itself is of low quality furnishings. The rug and chair in the photo
are not in the room we received. There was one small photo and all else blank
white walls. The door is hollow core, you could easily kick it in. There was no
coffee maker, no iron and the hair dryer was broken. The sink did not drain, the
toilet ran and when you showered the entire bathroom got wet, including the
door. We called to have someone fix the sink but we were told no staff was on
hand in the evening for repairs and it would have to wait until the next day.
From any room on the side with the bars you could hear noise, and the thin walls
and hollow does meant we heard the neighbors slamming their doors shut and the
street noise. The rooftop hot tub was cold at the first day and the second it
was warm but the jets were broken and was full of sand. No one cleaned the tub
throughout the day.

For the breakfast area, we observed the staff greeting the spanish speaking people
quickly and would order hot food from them and make them coffee using the
espresso barista style machine. We were treated differently and were only made
coffees after asking several times using a pod machine similar to what you would
find inside a hotel room. We were not greeted on either day and had to get up
several times to make our own coffee or request service. I told the hotel staff
I wanted a cappuccino using the espresso machine and the said they don't make
them and then refused to even use the machine for me, insisting that the coffee
was the same from both machines! Everyone knows these machines makes different
coffee using a pod versus grinding beans and using a proper restaurant quality
machine. The staff scoffed at my requests and suggestion that we were not
treated as though we were welcome in the breakfast area.

We have stayed at a four star hotel in Mallorca during this trip and do not fool
yourselves, this hotel is not four stars. It is not three stars, it is not two
stars. I was worse than a Howard Johnson or Econolodge. For what you get this
room is very expensive. When I made my complaints, the manager told me that on
our second day, he offered my room guest to switch rooms. He said this when my
guest was not present once my guest went to the car and was not able to protest.
I asked my boyfriend and he said they never offered any accommodation to him to
switch rooms. Mar Calma treated me terribly and I hope that other travelers
avoid situations like this, staying at this hotel was the worst part of our trip
to Spain and Mallorca.

4 Thank JVRittenhouse
Carlos C, Director de Recepción at Mar Calma Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear guest,

We are very sorry to hear you did not like Mar Calma Hotel; however we disagree with some points that you mention.
We are not surprised to receive such a negative review. From the first minute after check in it seemed that everything was a problem.
Regarding the complaint form that you asked us, you were given a downloaded form from the official website of the CAIB. Photocopied or downloaded complaint forms are totally valid.
You requested a quiet room away from the Irish Bar and where allocated in room 202, a room that we consider to be quiet as we have had no complaints before from other guests.
The morning after you arrived, and following our premise to always seek our customers satisfaction, I personally asked your partner if you had a good night sleep and offered if you both wished to change to a higher room as we had one available, your partner refused kindly saying that it was a short stay of two nights and that it was not necessary.
The rooftop hot tub the week prior to you arrival was, as the weather was very hot, between 24º and 27º a very pleasant temperature that enjoyed all our guests, following your request we set the hot tub at 34º and we received complaints from other guests, so after you left the temperature is back to 24º and 27º. We feel these parameters are quite adequate for this time of year, and we do not appear to have had any disputes whatsoever from other guests.
The hot tub is cleaned and checked daily.
About the incident with the coffee I will not answer as I found it to be comic.
We regret that you did not enjoy the service of our staff that strives to give the best service to our customers, as seen in the comments of other users of Tripadvisor , we can assure you that we treat our guests the best way we can independently of their nationality.

Nor do we consider correct you proposal of economical compensation made via an Online travel agent.

It is your opinion and we respect it, we will try to improve some aspects but the reviews of so many other guests, voting as a positive experience their stay at the Mar Calma Hotel, is as respectable as yours and we feel that advising other guests to cancel their stay with us is unfair and malicious.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay here for a week in June. Very comfortable, beautifully decorated and peaceful. Ideally situated in the centre of Puerto Pollensa within walking distance of bars, shops and restaurants. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The rooftop terrace with hot tub was amazing !!!
Would recommend without hesitation and would definitely like to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked Mar Calma based on tripadvisor reviews and did not regret our choice for a second! I was a little nervous coming into the Port and seeing some of the other accommodations on offer, but when our coach dropped us outside of Mar Calma, we were immediately impressed by its modernity and cleanliness. I cannot stress enough how friendly and helpful the staff are; they will do anything to assist you and helped us with bus schedules/pillows/irons/plasters and so on.
The breakfast included is of an excellent quality with fresh fruits, continental options, meats, cheeses and you can order hot options alongside this (though most of us didn't need it!) What I liked was breakfast was served until 10.30am, which was perfect for a holiday booked purely for relaxation purposes.
They kindly gave us quieter rooms on request, although the music from the downstairs bar can be a little noisy (though does stop at a decent time). The rooftop terrace with hot tub was one of the best parts and is a real sun trap. As other reviewers have pointed out there is a stunning view down to the Port and when the sun sets, it is really a quiet and stunning place to be.
Location is excellent and a mere 1 min walk to the front. If you turn left you reach the nicer restaurants along the front of the Port. Good ice cream available from the corner near the hotel too!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel are quieter.
3 Thank RLA94
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Seems to look good, but quality is poor.
doors noisy, in highseason lots of noise from the street.
staff breakfast area had his preferences.
Was not friendly at all.
Location not on the boulevard, but street behind.

3 Thank ineke1000
Carlos C, Director de Recepción at Mar Calma Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us.
I am sorry that your experience at Mar Calma Hotel did not live up to your expectations.

As you and other Tripadvisor users can see Mar Calma is rated very, very highly by other users. Every guest who has stayed with us in May, apart from your review, has left excellent reviews after their stay with us. I am therefore a little surprised that you did not experience the same excellent level of service as other guests enjoyed staying at the same time.
I can assure you that our team are trained to the highest standards and I feel that your comment "not friendly at all" is not justified and a little unfair.

Kind regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very pleasantly surprised by Mar Calma. Having stayed at a few...delapidated hotels in Port de Pollenca before, I was a bit nervous about this one, but it's fantastic. Everything is immaculate, from the guy at the front desk who speaks at least 4 languages, to the free champagne delivered to our room (seriously, I didn't even ask!). They had a late checkout time as standard, and even though we arrived 5hrs early, we were still able to check in after a long journey from Scotland. Breakfast was included, which I didn't realise, and it was excellent. Stuffed my face full of pastries and cheese first thing in the morning, which is the correct way to start a holiday.

Plus...the roof terrace and hot tub are brilliant, what a nice touch. The view down the marina is something I'd never seen in all my years visiting the Port.

Loved it, will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: At the weekend, try for the 3rd floor, there's music noise from downstairs, but it was muffled a...
3 Thank DuskyHusky
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights from 15th April. Walked past it twice before realising it was our hotel. Very boutique style and trendy. Staff were excellent, very helpful. After the first morning my pot of tea was waiting for me as I entered the breakfast room, the waiter couldn't do anymore for us. Plenty of choice for breakfast. The hot tub on the roof terrace was the surprise treat for me. After a days walking there was nothing better than relaxing in the tub. The hotel is very central and lots of nice restaurants and bars close by, but not too busy as only early in the season. The hotel is really well sound proofed but there was some noise from the bar next door in the early hours, not sure what it would be like in the high season, but it hasn't put us off as it was of a very high standard. Look forward to going back to Pollensa and this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 102 overlooks the side road leading up to the square best to choose higher up room 304.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple