“Not a 4 star”

Aparthotel Duva & Spa
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 22 August 2007

I booked this hotel direct for a ten day stay at the beginning of August for myself, wife, son (17) and daughter (15). It is advertised as a 4 star but I am not quite sure how it gets this rating. I can only assume that the leisure facilities including an indoor pool is the reason. The accommodation is quite definitely 3 star. It was probably too much to expect a 4 star at 125 Euros per night for 4 of us at the height of the season. So taking that into account we couldn't complain with what we finished up with. The apartment was clean but not spotless, facilities were adequate for breakfast ( fridge, toaster, microwave, kettle and a 2 ring burner) and there was adequate space for 4 of us without feeling cramped (2 rooms to the apartment). Air conditioning worked very well. Son and daughter were not happy that the single couch beds were too short and too hard.

A large number of guests were on all inclusive packages possibly because the hotel is not central. It is approx 1 kilometre from the centre of Puerto Pollensa which is not a problem if you have a car otherwise its a taxi or walk should you wish to venture forth. The first part of the walk is along a busy road. The nearest supermarket is at the end of this section of road (approx 0.5 Kilometre). A Spar is much closer but much more expensive.

Pollensa itself is great with plenty of places to eat and very relaxed and the long stretches of beach were not over crowded even in August.

If you base yourself at the hotel sunbeds disappear quickly in the morning and are lined up with no room in between. The resident host plays kiddies games throughout the day in the pool. The evenings have a full "entertainment "schedule based around the pool bar ranging from karaoke to quizzes to dancers and to say it was amateurish is being as kind as I can put it. This goes on until midnight . For the rooms within earshot of the pool bar this means no peace and quiet until well after nidnight. Luckily we were sufficiently far enough away thanks to some good advice from a trip adviser member. The hotel is in blocks and we had requested a block at the back with a mountain view. In summary we got what we paid for so no real grumbles but when we return to Pollensa (as we will as we really enjoyed the resort) we will book one of the lovely hotels on the sea front. The Hotel ILLA D'Or is a proper 4 star hotel at the end of the Pine Walk and guests we spoke to were very impressed. Also well recommended by guests was the 3 star Hotel Uyal.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Mac41

Reviewed 18 August 2007

Please do not let this review put anyone off booking this particular hotel - this is our personal opinion and may highlight areas to be aware of.
A group of 21 of us stayed at this hotel between 29/07 - 12/08/07 on an all inclusive basis.
This report is written from my families point of view. and not all of the group. On arrival at the hotel we were quite impressed, the reception was clean and the reception staff were efficient and very friendly. However it soon became clear that we had made a mistake booking this particular hotel.
We checked into our room, which we found very basic and not as clean as previous hotels in which we have stayed. Our room was overlooking the bar, we did not find it pleasant to sit on the balcony for an early evening drink. Maid service was inadequate, during our stay, I had to approach reception and ask for clean towels and toilet rolls as the room had not been cleaned for three days. When the maids did clean, they did not sweep or clean the floors - there were ants crawling all over the bathroom, in the bath and kitchen areas - I understand that this is due to warm weather and they are not going to cause you any harm. I personally did not find getting ready in the evening relaxing - the shower was not very strong and the shower head was not working properly. Getting out of the bath, the floor was constantly dirty. The air conditioning was poor - we did report this and the staff tried their best to fix it but advised that they were unable to do so. Comparing this hotel to previous hotels (please check out my previous reviews) I feel that we could have got better value for money.
The restaurant was clean, however the food tended to be repetative and unappetising - please note that we are not fussy eaters - there were a couple of days that the food was better than others.
I also found the evening bar staff very rude - on one occasion a member of our group had a small amount of wine left in her glass from her evening meal - three of us asked for Amaretto however were told we could not have this until she had finished her drink, therefore 2 of us were left without a drink. The bar staff were insistent that it was one drink per person - as a group this is not feasible, and if you take into consideration the amount of money spent (approx £850 per person excluding flights) you would think that you would be able to get a drink when you wanted one. I must stress that the day bar staff were excellent and there were not restrictions during the day. One particular day I asked for a glass of slush and was told that this was not included on all inclusive - However I could of asked for a Gin & Tonic. I further noticed that people who were self catering and paying for meals at the Duva seemed to have a better choice and more well presented meal.
There were insufficient sunbeds and parasols and of course the usual towel brigade were insitu - in fact one rude lady approached my husband and I and accused us of moving her towels - she walked further down the row to find that they had actually put them on other beds - some 3 hours earlier.
I found it poor that you also had to pay 35 Euros for use of the safe - at all the hotels we have ever stayed this has been provided free of charge. I also found it poor that the bar closed at 11pm (however you could purchase drinks until 12pm)- again most all inclusives mean all inclusive and usually 24hrs. When paying for drinks after the bar closed, they tended to be very expensive, hence cross the road or get a taxi into Pollenca and purchase there.
The hotel was not close to the beach - this is not usually a problem, unfortunately there was not much activity close by - a spar across the road and the White Rose Pub (which actually provided a good Karaoke night)
Entertainment - if you have small children this is excellent, to be fair we did join in and have a "laugh" - the songs will remain with me for the rest of my life.
The indoor spa was excellent and I think this is the reason that the hotel has 4 stars.
Had I realised that the time of booking that this hotel had been booked from Medinland I would have chosen alternative accommodation - We have had a bad experience in Crete before with this company. when you work hard and save for a holiday you expect good value for money - with this hotel I did not feel that we got that.
Please be aware that this is our opinion, and although it was not what we expected it was a holiday and we made the most of it and looking back we enjoyed ourselves. I should add that Puerto Pollensa is beautiful, the restaurants in the centre were fantastic, taxi drivers were friendly and cheap, approx 4-5 Euros to go into the centre. If you get a chance visit LLuc Monastery, Port Soller. We also went to the beach at Cala San Vincenc - this was a beautiful beach and car hire was quite reasonable from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank natnif
Reviewed 2 August 2007

We have just arrived back this afternoon from a fabulous 10 day break at Duva in Pollenca....just wish we were still there!! Usually after 10 days, you're about ready to come home.....not on this holiday...even my little boy was crying in bed last night, as he wanted to stay!
Immaculate rooms, kept in pristine condition by the freindly and considerate team of cleaners. Lots of space, and air conditioning that worked!! We were self-catering, so I can't comment on the food, but use the supermarket further down the road (Caprabo) for supplies rather than the Spar across the road...it's far cheaper.
We ate out in the port on 2 occasions....neither a good experience....but found a gem of a restaurant, run by the warmest couple ever, it's called 'Modesto' and is situated on a quiet side road in Cala Sant Vicenc. A simple menu...beautifully cooked, and at reasonable prices.....most of all the hospitality made it special for all of us....couldn't find anywhere to beat it....we will be going back, I hope next year. If you get the chance to go to a fiesta....GO! Fantasic fun....even though they go on until all hours! L'Aup restaurant (also in Cala Sant Vicenc) did great food, but had a terrible problem with flies and ants...which made us rush our otherwise lovely food before they ate it all!!
It's really worth hiring a car to enjoy the beauty of this island...we found Formentor beach the best by far...especially as the sea was so good for our young kids to play in......Cala Sant Vicenc was stunning too, but the sea bed was rather rocky making it difficult under foot for less skilled swimmers/ paddlers.
The hotel had a good variety of evening entertainment, even though it's not really my thing (I sulked the first time I was forced to go down there!)... but found myself laughing at the magician, he was excellent fun.....my kids loved all of it......need I say more?!
Go and check this hotel.....you won't want to leave!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Just got back from the Aparthotel Duva Pollensa & I have honestly never said this before, but I can't wait to go back (I go abroad 2-3 times a year). It's spot on for families young & old. This was our 1st time in Majorca as a family & I had checked numerous review sites before I went because I'm a bit of a worrier when we have the kids with us. No need to worry at all with the Duva.
When we arrived, on the surface everything looked good, nice hotel frontage, nice airy & clean reception, happy looking holiday makers. The usual sort of 1st impression, you know the feeling, then you are shown to your room & things start to go downhill. Except at the Duva this didn't happen. Don't get me wrong it wasn't the Ritz but then that's not what we paid for, but it was everything that it was meant to be. The rooms were spacious & SPOTLESSLY clean & we had a handy kitchenette even though we were all inclusive, which was great for the kids snacks ect.
Next day we got to sample our all-inclusive deal & again we were pleasantly surprised. The food was basic but plentiful, well presented & always fresh & piping hot. Best of all, no matter what time you arrived there were never any queues for food or the feeling that you were eating what was left over if you arrived near to the end of the sitting. Again the restuarant was spotless.
The pool area was always quite busy & the only fault I can say is that parasols were a bit limited if you werent quick to put your towel down in the morning(which is supposed to be against Duva rules!!)
The entertainment was a wee bit.... well lets be kind & say amateurish! The 2 hosts, Tony & David are very young & I think will improve with experience but our kids loved them so what else matters? They both worked extremely hard day & night & were great fun around the pool during the day so long as you went with the flow. The evening entertainment finishes at around 11 -11.30pm so nice to get the kids off to bed (even if a bit later than normal) without them feeling they were missing out.
Puerta Pollensa was around a 10 minute walk from the hotel along a busy road but it's only 4 Euro in a taxi so no problem. It's a lovely little town with gorgeous, clean little bay beaches or a huge stretch of beach along at the end with fewer shops. The town has a real traditional spanish feel to it with very few 'tacky' shops & lots of lovely traditional restuarants to choose from if like us you want to go your own way a few times.
Overall, I would say this was an excellent value for money holiday. You get exactly what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 June 2007

We were originally booked into the Oro Playa but read a lot of bad reviews so we changed to the Duva. We were very glad we did we were impressed when we arrived. The reception staff helped with our bags and showed us to our room. The apartment was an adequate size for 2 adults and 2 young children and was spotlessly clean. On arrival we discovered that the balcony light wasn't working and we didn't have enough towels. By the time we came back from dinner all of these were resolved. The pool was lovely as were the gardens and we found the spar up the road very handy. His bread and pastries were delicious.

The only gripe about the accommodation was that it was a bit of a walk to the beach and the centre but it wasn't a major problem. The beach there is lovely and there are some lovely shallow coves if you walk down the pine walk end of town.

We found eating out to be quite expensive and the service in some of the restaurants on the square was awful, they seemed to have the attitude that it didn't matter how long you waited or how rude they were there were plenty more customers around. At La Piazza we had our starter and our main course arrive together and they were rude when I asked them to take the mains back as we couldn't eat both together- they actually asked why not? We also found the food at Dakotas awful. We ordered Fajitas and they came with mustard and brown sauce instead of the usual salsa,guacamole and sour cream, in fact they passed off greek tzatziki as sour cream. We found Makassar on the square really friendly, reasonable prices and good food. We also liked the cafe next to Tiberi Restaurant - I think it was called Font. The lunches there were fantastic.

We would definitely go back to Puerto Pollensa again it's so pretty and we would stay at the Duva, even though they were a bit of a way out there were worth it!!

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank MichelleCambridge_UK
Reviewed 5 June 2007

The Duva Pollensa was great for a weeks family holiday. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and the food is of a good standard. The rooms could stand a little updating, but are prefectly adequate. The entertainment is low key, mainly quizzes and ends early (11.00-11.30pm) but that suited us as we don't want to be kept awake by a disco 'till dawn. You can walk to the beach in about 15 minutes with children in tow and you don't have to go down the main road, there is an alternative route along a wide pathway past the houses and hotels across the road.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank Liz_Jim
Reviewed 19 May 2007

Hotel facilities actually okay. Great pool facilities and a smashing pool for small children and a superb gymanasium/health club. Location a bit out of the way, walking into the town a bit treacherous along a main busy road with no pathway.

Sadly the staff were probably the most obnoxious I've ever dealt with. God help you if you need to complain to the reception staff because they will make your life hell. Certain bar staff an absolute pain in the b@t and after complaining the Hotel manager showed absolutely no interest in dealing with any complaints.

Shame because the place has potential if it was run properly and the customer treated with a bit respect.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Rocco_BRFC