“Sorry, not 4 star”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
UK
“Sorry, not 4 star”
Reviewed 20 September 2007

We stayed for one week at Apathotel Duva, and although it was advertised as 4 star, in our opinion it was only worth 3 stars. We had stayed last year at a 5star all incl in Hammamet Tunisia and the difference between the two hotels (bearing in mind that there was only 1 star difference) was enormous. We were all incl as well, but there were conditions with this. First;ly be aware, that if you like us arrive late, there is nowhere to get anything to eat or drink, We arrived at 1am, starving hungry and thirsty. We asked if there was any water and was shown to a vending machine. There was nothing left in our room, not even a bottle of water in the fridge. I found it very strange that although we were all incl and certain drinks were included at no point was that to include water!! A strange thing was that whilst the restaurant was open you had to pay for things like crisps 1 euro, when it was shut, they were free. Also the all incl drinks were different than those you paid for. The Pina Colada came in a strange looking white bottle already made up and the alchohol content was minimal.

Maybe unkindly we nicknamed the apartments as Prison Cell Block H and to our amusement noticed that someone previously had scrawled a large H on one of the pillars. There is no maid service at all on Sunday and although the food was edible and plentiful, you could usually work out what had been recycled from the previous day.

We are used to travelling around ourselves, catching buses here and there, but there were few places to go to, Pollensa didnt look inviting, Alcudia, well that was ok ish, Palma is shut on Sundays even down to the Cathedral and Inca is ok on a Thursday as the local market is there. The other major problem is that the buses are very infrequent, sometimes 2 hours apart and others 4 hours apart, so be aware that if like us you enjoy doing the travelling around yourselves, then be sure that you know where to get the return bus or it will be a long wait.

All in all, a reasonable holiday, always take my video camera to record our jaunts, hotel etc, but for one weeks stay only recorded six minutes! To sum up a cheap, clean friendly hotel in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Charnock Richard
Reviewed 10 September 2007

We have just returned from a week at the DUVA myself wife and our 20 yr old daughter,
We booked this via teletext holidays and what a bargain it was.
The Apartment was very clean and comfortable over looking the mountains, with only the sheeps bells to listen too in the evening.
We were all inclusive and the choice of food was unbelievable, The staff were extremely friendly, Christiana working the outside bar next to the pool could not do enough for you. always laughing and the energy she had was emense.
The pool area was clean and you could get a sun bed any time of the day, We had hired a car so we used to go out in the mornings exploring the island and returned early afternoon and lazed around the pool.
The entertainment at night was not too bad but we used to have a walk down too the harbour after our evening meal, Work was very nce not too far away and we found the main round not too scary, Went different ways into Port Pollensa.
Did not have enough time to try out the gym and spa but they looks as good as the rest of the place,
We will be going again early next year,
Many thanks too all at the DUVA for an excellent weeks holiday.

• Liked — Very Friedly and clean
  • Disliked — Could not find anything that we did ot enjoy
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
essex
Reviewed 10 September 2007

Stayed at the Duva hotel for 10 days 20-30 Aug with my partner and 4 children aged 10-18years. Hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and efficient. We were all inclusive and had no problems with ordering drinks from the bar, you could also help yourself to wine, beer sangria plus soft drinks during lunch and dinner. The food was basic but enough choice for everyone to find something they liked. I do think the bar should be free until midnight though as it was an all inclusive holiday.

The one problem with the hotel is the sun bed situation not enough beds and hardly any umbrellas and people putting towels down for their whole family including young children who hardly ever sat on the beds. We used the indoor pool a lot because it was always empty and we had it to ourselves which was great.

They could also do with getting some better evening entertainment and varying it a bit, ie not bingo every night!!

Puerto Pollensa is great, the beach is lovely but a long walk from the hotel with lilos/dingy to carry!! The pine walk is beautiful during the day but gets busy at night but is still romantic, shame we had 4 kids with us!!

Would definately go back to Pollensa its lovely

• Liked — having the indoor pool, kids loved it
  • Disliked — the entertainment
1 Thank //////
manchester, uk
Reviewed 7 September 2007

To say I'm surprised at the previous two reviews would be somewhat of an understatement! My daughter (28) my husband and myself have just returned after a week's stay there and couldn't have found a better standard of accomodation.

We have travelled all over the world so are quite aware of what standards we like to adhere to.

We were in the 'premium' apartments which were just lovely. Two large bedrooms beautiful large lounge with dining table and all the facillities of a modern kitchen at hand and as our week went into sept i can only presume this is why we only paid 115 euro per night for the three of us. there were offers online at the duva's website also if you want to take advantage of upgrading to all incl for example

Beautiful balcony which had gorgeous views of the mountains and overlooked the tennis courts. We will seriously miss the late nights on our balcony with a glass of wine and the sound of the gentle tinkling of the sheep bells as they grazed late into the darkness

The air con throughout worked wonderfully and any request we had at reception was dealt with quickly and efficiently and always by wonderfully helpful and friendly staff.

We aren't into hotel 'entertainment' so never experienced that, and also didn't eat at the hotel. We did have a peek though, and although there looked to be plenty of food at dinner it did look a tad basic for our style.

As we had a car the trip into pollenca took minutes, but i would imagine walking into town might get a bit tiresome especially along the busy road. One didn't actually walk on the road as the footpath (like a cycle path in the UK) was clearly defined and there didn't appear to be any danger (although this might be an issue at night)

the swimming pool round the premium apts was lovely and getting a bed or a brolly was never an issue apart from when a group of people seemed tohave taken over one of the ground floor apts and considered the pool to be there own private domain. Thankfully they were only there for two of our days. i would advise though that there are at least three swimming pools around the complex and one can use any of them including the pools of the habitat apts. It's seems us Brits are terrified of using other hotels facilities....take a leaf out of the Germans books....you have paid to have a nice holiday nobody is going to mind if you swim in their pool!!

I can't recommend the Duva highly enough but only if you get a premium apt i suspect.

• Liked — the standard of the accomodation and the spa centre
  • Disliked — bit of a way from town
1 Thank huggies79
Manchester
Reviewed 22 August 2007

I booked this hotel direct for a ten day stay at the beginning of August for myself, wife, son (17) and daughter (15). It is advertised as a 4 star but I am not quite sure how it gets this rating. I can only assume that the leisure facilities including an indoor pool is the reason. The accommodation is quite definitely 3 star. It was probably too much to expect a 4 star at 125 Euros per night for 4 of us at the height of the season. So taking that into account we couldn't complain with what we finished up with. The apartment was clean but not spotless, facilities were adequate for breakfast ( fridge, toaster, microwave, kettle and a 2 ring burner) and there was adequate space for 4 of us without feeling cramped (2 rooms to the apartment). Air conditioning worked very well. Son and daughter were not happy that the single couch beds were too short and too hard.

A large number of guests were on all inclusive packages possibly because the hotel is not central. It is approx 1 kilometre from the centre of Puerto Pollensa which is not a problem if you have a car otherwise its a taxi or walk should you wish to venture forth. The first part of the walk is along a busy road. The nearest supermarket is at the end of this section of road (approx 0.5 Kilometre). A Spar is much closer but much more expensive.

Pollensa itself is great with plenty of places to eat and very relaxed and the long stretches of beach were not over crowded even in August.

If you base yourself at the hotel sunbeds disappear quickly in the morning and are lined up with no room in between. The resident host plays kiddies games throughout the day in the pool. The evenings have a full "entertainment "schedule based around the pool bar ranging from karaoke to quizzes to dancers and to say it was amateurish is being as kind as I can put it. This goes on until midnight . For the rooms within earshot of the pool bar this means no peace and quiet until well after nidnight. Luckily we were sufficiently far enough away thanks to some good advice from a trip adviser member. The hotel is in blocks and we had requested a block at the back with a mountain view. In summary we got what we paid for so no real grumbles but when we return to Pollensa (as we will as we really enjoyed the resort) we will book one of the lovely hotels on the sea front. The Hotel ILLA D'Or is a proper 4 star hotel at the end of the Pine Walk and guests we spoke to were very impressed. Also well recommended by guests was the 3 star Hotel Uyal.

• Liked — Could accommodate 4 of us under one roof
  • Disliked — Sunbeds not available for all guests
2 Thank Mac41
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2007

Please do not let this review put anyone off booking this particular hotel - this is our personal opinion and may highlight areas to be aware of.
A group of 21 of us stayed at this hotel between 29/07 - 12/08/07 on an all inclusive basis.
This report is written from my families point of view. and not all of the group. On arrival at the hotel we were quite impressed, the reception was clean and the reception staff were efficient and very friendly. However it soon became clear that we had made a mistake booking this particular hotel.
We checked into our room, which we found very basic and not as clean as previous hotels in which we have stayed. Our room was overlooking the bar, we did not find it pleasant to sit on the balcony for an early evening drink. Maid service was inadequate, during our stay, I had to approach reception and ask for clean towels and toilet rolls as the room had not been cleaned for three days. When the maids did clean, they did not sweep or clean the floors - there were ants crawling all over the bathroom, in the bath and kitchen areas - I understand that this is due to warm weather and they are not going to cause you any harm. I personally did not find getting ready in the evening relaxing - the shower was not very strong and the shower head was not working properly. Getting out of the bath, the floor was constantly dirty. The air conditioning was poor - we did report this and the staff tried their best to fix it but advised that they were unable to do so. Comparing this hotel to previous hotels (please check out my previous reviews) I feel that we could have got better value for money.
The restaurant was clean, however the food tended to be repetative and unappetising - please note that we are not fussy eaters - there were a couple of days that the food was better than others.
I also found the evening bar staff very rude - on one occasion a member of our group had a small amount of wine left in her glass from her evening meal - three of us asked for Amaretto however were told we could not have this until she had finished her drink, therefore 2 of us were left without a drink. The bar staff were insistent that it was one drink per person - as a group this is not feasible, and if you take into consideration the amount of money spent (approx £850 per person excluding flights) you would think that you would be able to get a drink when you wanted one. I must stress that the day bar staff were excellent and there were not restrictions during the day. One particular day I asked for a glass of slush and was told that this was not included on all inclusive - However I could of asked for a Gin & Tonic. I further noticed that people who were self catering and paying for meals at the Duva seemed to have a better choice and more well presented meal.
There were insufficient sunbeds and parasols and of course the usual towel brigade were insitu - in fact one rude lady approached my husband and I and accused us of moving her towels - she walked further down the row to find that they had actually put them on other beds - some 3 hours earlier.
I found it poor that you also had to pay 35 Euros for use of the safe - at all the hotels we have ever stayed this has been provided free of charge. I also found it poor that the bar closed at 11pm (however you could purchase drinks until 12pm)- again most all inclusives mean all inclusive and usually 24hrs. When paying for drinks after the bar closed, they tended to be very expensive, hence cross the road or get a taxi into Pollenca and purchase there.
The hotel was not close to the beach - this is not usually a problem, unfortunately there was not much activity close by - a spar across the road and the White Rose Pub (which actually provided a good Karaoke night)
Entertainment - if you have small children this is excellent, to be fair we did join in and have a "laugh" - the songs will remain with me for the rest of my life.
The indoor spa was excellent and I think this is the reason that the hotel has 4 stars.
Had I realised that the time of booking that this hotel had been booked from Medinland I would have chosen alternative accommodation - We have had a bad experience in Crete before with this company. when you work hard and save for a holiday you expect good value for money - with this hotel I did not feel that we got that.
Please be aware that this is our opinion, and although it was not what we expected it was a holiday and we made the most of it and looking back we enjoyed ourselves. I should add that Puerto Pollensa is beautiful, the restaurants in the centre were fantastic, taxi drivers were friendly and cheap, approx 4-5 Euros to go into the centre. If you get a chance visit LLuc Monastery, Port Soller. We also went to the beach at Cala San Vincenc - this was a beautiful beach and car hire was quite reasonable from the hotel.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — The bedroom
  • Stayed July 2007
5 Thank natnif
Birmingham
Reviewed 2 August 2007

We have just arrived back this afternoon from a fabulous 10 day break at Duva in Pollenca....just wish we were still there!! Usually after 10 days, you're about ready to come home.....not on this holiday...even my little boy was crying in bed last night, as he wanted to stay!
Immaculate rooms, kept in pristine condition by the freindly and considerate team of cleaners. Lots of space, and air conditioning that worked!! We were self-catering, so I can't comment on the food, but use the supermarket further down the road (Caprabo) for supplies rather than the Spar across the road...it's far cheaper.
We ate out in the port on 2 occasions....neither a good experience....but found a gem of a restaurant, run by the warmest couple ever, it's called 'Modesto' and is situated on a quiet side road in Cala Sant Vicenc. A simple menu...beautifully cooked, and at reasonable prices.....most of all the hospitality made it special for all of us....couldn't find anywhere to beat it....we will be going back, I hope next year. If you get the chance to go to a fiesta....GO! Fantasic fun....even though they go on until all hours! L'Aup restaurant (also in Cala Sant Vicenc) did great food, but had a terrible problem with flies and ants...which made us rush our otherwise lovely food before they ate it all!!
It's really worth hiring a car to enjoy the beauty of this island...we found Formentor beach the best by far...especially as the sea was so good for our young kids to play in......Cala Sant Vicenc was stunning too, but the sea bed was rather rocky making it difficult under foot for less skilled swimmers/ paddlers.
The hotel had a good variety of evening entertainment, even though it's not really my thing (I sulked the first time I was forced to go down there!)... but found myself laughing at the magician, he was excellent fun.....my kids loved all of it......need I say more?!
Go and check this hotel.....you won't want to leave!

• Liked — The peaceful location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family