“A very pleasant mix”

Formentor, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Staying at the Barcelo Formentor can be likened to staying at Brown's (Mayfair) planted in Eden by the sea.
Of course, a refurbishment is urgently needed and,I believe may occur in a year or two.
In the meantime,I must say it was a joy to spend seven nights there and would recommend a stay to anyone looking for some pure relaxation and pampereing.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter G
There are newer reviews for Formentor, a Royal Hideaway Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed as a family here for 5 nights in the cheaper rooms and the stay exceeded our expectations. The rooms were lovely with delightful views over the wonderful gardens and a partial sea view. We were on half board and the food was very good including the lobster even though it was a buffet. The hotel has a truly outstanding location although the drive over the hills is not easy. Do not be put off by some of the reviews, it has real old world charm. The beds are incredibly comfortable and staff attentive. A real place to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: Go for mountain view room!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 690RichardH
DirBFormentor, Director General at Formentor, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear guest,
I appreciate very much your confidence and support in this forum. I am really glad to read that you really enjoyed your stay in our Barceló Formentor.
I do not normally answer every positive comment as I do not want just to post a mechanic answer or to let somebody to write in my name. I thank from the bottom of my heart, every guest who takes the time to share his view about our hotel, as it gives us the opportunity to dare ourselves to improve our services.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in future in our Barceló Formentor.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Formentor is absolutely beautiful. And the hotel set-up is great: beach is incredible, the pool is good, the gardens are lovely, there are tennis courts and a horse riding centre. It should be the perfect 5 star family holiday - but it really disappoints.

The hotel needs a refurb. The decor is tired, the carpets are threadbare (and totally worn away in some places), and the plaster on the walls is crumbling at the corners. The rooms are comfortable, and clean, but the common areas are dismal.

The food is pretty average, the a la carte menus are limited, and the buffets are extremely repetitive. Also the kitchens aren't open between 4pm and 8pm, which makes life difficult with children. We had several toddlers in our party and trying to feed them lunch before 1pm or dinner before 8pm was almost impossible. The hotel initially suggested we give them the same three items from the room service menu - every day for two weeks. They eventually managed to accommodate us but only after several days of complaining.

In general the service across the hotel is poor - individual staff are nice but they are slow and nobody seems to be in charge. I never saw anyone who resembled a manager (or any evidence that the staff were being actively managed). The one exception is housekeeping - there was an excellent housekeeper who oversees a very well run, helpful and efficient team.

Overall we were disappointed, and certainly would not recommend it. A real shame because it could be paradise with some more investment and much better management.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise get a room at the back. The nightly entertainment at the restaurant go...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank GeorgieJo79

Dear guest,
First of all I thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel, its potential and our housekeeper.
I thank you even for your negative comments, although I have to admit I your valuation regarding the hotel management has especially reached me. I think those comments are quite unfair towards the work of my team and the head of departments who are completely dedicated to the guests. But I personally assume that if you perceived there was a lack of management it is my responsibility. I apologize for that and assure you that I take note and will work on turning my presence into “less discreet” and on dedicating as much time as possible to our guests.
I am sorry for not having met your expectations, but I assure you that we work continuously to adapt our services to the requirements of our guests. It is truth that the opening-time in our Restaurants were set following our Mediterranean standards due to the climate that allow our guests to remain on the beach or at the pool till almost around 7pm, so that starting dinner at 8pm was just a way to enjoy the fantastic weather and light at Formentor. Nevertheless, as we realized this summer, we were having more families with toddlers or small kids, we have re-organized the staff shifts and I can confirm for you that right now our Restaurant is open for dinner at 7pm.
I regret that it took us more time as desired to adapt our structure in the middle of the high season.

I am at your disposal in case you may believe that this paradise should deserve another visit to ascertain that your comments have helped us to improve our services.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

While the property is undeniably gorgeous - white sandy beaches with crystal clear water and expansive, well manicured gardens - that is arguably all the Barcelo Formentor has going for it. The rooms looked like they had seen better days and the food was over priced and virtually inedible. The beautiful beach was over crowded with residents and tourists pouring in from across the island, who did not pay the formentors exorbitant prices for sun beds and drinks. With all the activities, the resort had a Club Med feel, making it a great choice for families, but not the ideal spot for a young couple.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Laleh H
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Whilst I travel a lot I never write reviews.
In this case I'm writing one and doing it from the hotel itself... Here for 7 days and after 4 I really had enough...

1) the hotel has been built in 1929 and refurbished once I think since. It is run down, the furniture is tacky and the painting coming off my door and walls
2) the rooms are tiny
3) the hotel and towels are clean but never spotless. I find spots on most of the items : towels, robes and sheets
4) the hotel is ONE HOUR from the airport..... Or HUNDRED euros..... Also the city is close to the airport so you basically are stuck in the hotel and will never leave it (unless you want to spend 100 euros there and 100 back)
5) there is a port nearby (17 euros away). Avoid it - nothing to see or do unless you like burgers, pizzas and fish and chips
6) a seat ON THE HOTEL beach will cost you 16 euros per day per person AS A RESIDENT of the hotel - the biggest joke on the planet!!!!!
What type of hotel charges its residents to access its beach?! Seriously?!
7) as they have the restaurant monopoly: there is nothing around - a salad will cost you 18 euros......... An espresso is 4.5 euros...... Seriously?!
I am actually surprised they don't charge us for breathing
8) the hotel buffet is 55 euros per head... Before drinks of course
9) and avoid high season it is FULL of screaming children... To be perfectly clear: I have never seen as many children in my life.....

Positives: great breakfast served until 11am and great garden

Overall - an overpriced, overrated 4 star hotel full of kids which charges you 4.5 euros for an espresso

• Stayed: August 2014
10  Thank uktraveller_md
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Without doubt, the hotel occupies an almost unrivalled location – the views and tranquillity are wonderful. But if you are looking for a five star service and an experience that presents value for money, go elsewhere.
We arrived for our six night stay and were shown to a room that was smaller and less impressive than various low budget business hotels I have used in the UK. As we approached reception to voice our concerns, the staff pre-empted our complaints, apologising for the size and lack of sea view before we even opened our mouths. Although we were moved to a better room the next day, no hotel should be trying their luck with sub standard rooms. The fact that this hotel has an almost eerie excess of space available (many many unused rooms and facilities), they would do well to rethink how their rooms can start to compete with legitimate five star hotels.
Also, its worth noting, that although you may pay for a sea view, this will be mostly interrupted by the dense vegetation of the site (nice, but not a sea view), and there are no balconies unless you are resident in a suite, something I haven’t come across for many many years – and a great shame.
There were many scenes of frustration from guests throughout our stay – and we were equally irritated by an almost daily disappointment - no option of a turn down service, a kettle in the room but only decaff coffee (staff couldn’t explain why this was the case). Requests to housekeeping to provide clean cups were ignored and the hotel beach area (EURO 40 for guests to use a hotel sunbed ) is subject to a constant flow of traffic from the local carpark. In isolation, this likely sounds like a list of petty complaints, but compounded we were left with the feeling that this is most definitely not a five star experience and certainly not good value. Mallorca is increasingly able to offer seriously luxuriant hotel options – Formentor is not one of them at present.
So, whilst an enjoyable enough stay, the pleasure comes from the location. If you are expecting luxury, exclusivity or value go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank MACKIERATS
DirBFormentor, Director General at Formentor, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for sharing your feedback and your compliments regarding the location, views and tranquility of our Barceló Formentor hotel. I appreciate your comments and regret that your overall experience was not up to your expectations.
Barceló Formentor is a hotel built in 1929 with a bright history situated in the most beautiful natural-area of Mallorca, but for that reason it is not easy to get the permission to renew or update our facilities. In fact, our company is already 4 years dealing with the local and island authorities to get the final authorization to develop a complete refurbishment project, which would allow us to offer our guests brighter rooms, all overlooking the sea and with a nice terrace.
Nevertheless, we actually have plenty of guests and regular customers who love Formentor as it is and you can be sure that our front office staff always try to offer our guests the best possible available room. Sadly, when the hotel is fully booked it is not always possible to fulfill everyones expectations, that is why our reception directly apologized and arranged a room-change for you the next day, once a better room was available.
I will send you a mail to try to recover your confidence regarding our services, but I apologize for not having been capable of offering you what you could understand as a luxury experience, as we always aim.
You can be sure we have taken your comments into consideration and they will help us to improve our services.

Best regards

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just spent a week at the Barcelo Formentor. Had a mountain view room which was a bit small and the shower was too low for my 6ft husband to fit under. Those 2 issues aside the hotel was great. Location stunning, staff incredibly helpful, pool area beautiful. Gardens were stunning. Thought breakfast was excellent as was the food and service in the El Pi restaurant. Eating out in Puerto Pollensa was superb. Prices were expensive. Had a great massage in the spa. Also hired good quality bike from hotel. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view if you can afford. Avoid room 126
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 28 in Port de Pollenca
Hotel Pure Salt Garonda
Hotel Pure Salt Garonda
#2 of 78 in Playa de Palma

Been to Formentor, a Royal Hideaway Hotel? Share your experiences!