“a touch of class”
Review of Hotel Illa d'Or

Hotel Illa d'Or
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Idilic location at the end of the Pine walk,excellent choice of good food and friendly service with
a smile.
We would love to return and repeat our very enjoyable first time visit to this hotel in its beautiful setting at the waters edge overlooking the bay with its all round panorama of rugged mountains.
We have just two criticisms which could affect health and safety of hotel guests:-
(a) walk in shower in the bedroom en suite , would be safer than the bath with shower over which is not safe for older guests.
(b)All the holiday brochures advise guests to use bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth,
if it is unsafe to use tap water then we feel that a daily delivery of bottled water should be supplied by the hotel .

There are newer reviews for Hotel Illa d'Or

Reviewed 17 May 2012

location and views superb. This was our third stay and we hope to return next year. Weather was good and sea warm enough to swim. Room and terrace excellent and spacious. Staff friendly. Decor fine. The food was very good with unusual combinations of flavors and plenty of choice, especially at breakfast and salad buffet (optional). Not a lot of evening entertainment so will probably not appeal to youngsters. We appreciated the quiet location and rooms.
victor

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victor I
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed in a lovely superior room with balcony and sea view and also overlooked the pool. The hotel location is excellent the food is superb and staff both in reception and in bars/restuarants are very friendly and helpful..
I would recommend this hotel to all and can understand why people return year after year

Room Tip: higher the better as the views of the sea are lovely
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our sixth annual stay at the Illa D'Or hotel in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca and once again we were not disappointed. We always book a full sea facing room with balcony which, although costly, ensures that we have a lovely view over the bay. The rooms are pretty small but we are used to that. The best rooms are also the first ones to be snapped up by those who are willing to pay the hefty premium. We have witnessed guests who have attempted to upgrade on arrival at the hotel by which time it is usually too late and they are undoubtedly disappointed as some rooms face the rear of the hotel and the mountains with no sea view at all. Others have partial sea views but we are not prepared to arrive to find that those are already allocated, hence the policy of booking and paying upfront from the UK. The hotel guests are mainly mature or very mature people and mostly from the UK, many of whom are repeat visitors. The food is excellent, the staff very helpful and friendly and the cleanliness of all areas in and around the hotel grounds is very good. This is a fairly expensive hotel and whether it is value for money is a personal view. We have lived and worked all over the world and stayed in many 5 star hotels but for us the short flight to Majorca from Edinburgh, the pre selected seats on the flight, the Merc transfers and the unique ambience of the Illa D'Or tick all the boxes we now need. There are other less expensive hotels in Puerto Pollensa but they are just not for us. Need I say more.

Room Tip: First floor bedrooms at the front of the hotel have larger balconies with the addition of sun lounge...
2  Thank arturoFife
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I had only read the other reviews regarding this hotel after I had booked and was a little concerned as there seemed to be more adverse ones as the trip came nearer. As everyone says the hotel is situated in a wonderful spot and the views are stunning. We booked a superior room with a sea view and the room was fairly small and whilst the view was great we did not want to spend time in the room so unless you get a balcony the sea view on level 4 is not worth paying for. I understand other people's comments about the reception area the response you get is very dependent on who was on the desk. We found the bar staff very good and attentive. The restaurant works on an allocated table basis and you have the same table for your whole stay. This felt really outdated and we noticed that couples who had been before often changed their tables to ones they preferred. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to move people around the restaurant and at breakfast it shouldn't matter where people sit. We found the food a bit 'hit and miss' some nights very good and others average.The prices that others have commented on for tea and drinks are the going rate at the resort for better hotels so they seemed fair. The hotel has a loyal customer base but it felt tired and in need of not just some decor being updated but the way the hotel is being run we felt that they were going through the motions and we were a bit of a nuisance! I have come home disappointed and felt that the hotel was not good value for money

Room Tip: The rooms on the 4th floor with a sea view were quiet but not very big!
3  Thank Birdman44
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was our fifth visit to this hotel in eight years and, I'm sorry to say, looks like our last. But first the positive - the food in the restaurant is superb and the location is excellent.
But.....the place is tired and the furniture in our room this time should have been put on a skip years ago. On arrival , there was no flicker of welcome as returning guests and we were expected to carry our own baggage to our room. The hotel was quieter than we have ever seen , yet, on speaking to others, at least four couples had asked to be moved for various, understandable reasons. One couple's balcony only overlooked the bins ( yes they tried to give us that one last year!) Service in the restaurant can be slow and indifferent. The evening "entertainment" hasn't changed in all the time we've been there- we preferred a stroll to a local bar than to fall asleep in front of an out- of- tune violinist. If the weather is bad there is nothing to do - our Scrabble board on one stormy Sunday was being eyed jealously by other couples in the lounge! In the end we took our chance with the storm! As for the air con in the rooms- well there isn't any! This wasn't a cheap holiday , and we paid the supplements for a balcony and sea view - but a "superior" room it was not. This hotel will need a room makeover and a change in attitude by the staff if it wants to survive in today's market..

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for a balcony AND sea view- don't bother going - people on floors t...
5  Thank goodvintij
Reviewed 8 May 2012

In a wonderful position on the sea front, the Pine Walk which takes you around part of the bay into Port Pollenca runs through the hotel grounds.
The outside bar cafe which serves snacks and drinks is friendly and efficiently run by very attentive bar staff. There are sunbeds with umbrellas available overlooking the bay.
The public rooms have many chairs and sofas which are very comfortable, if a little low, the rooms are spacious and spotless. The views across the bay are spectacular, the marina in the distace, yachts and small boats moored off shore all provide interest with the occassional boats with water skiers providing a moving lively scene.
The dining room overlooks the bay and service is at times rather slow, I noticed that couples who came in after me were served and finished their meal long before I was served with my main course. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice but the evening meal was rather boring with small portions of vegetables.
The bedroom that I was first offered was room 130 on the first floor, little more than a cupboard, the outside space was a "balcony" with four white walls within about 12 feet of the door onto the "balcony". The view was of blue sky if you craned your neck and looked up for about three floors. It was like being at the bottom of a chimney.
I went straight back to the desk and said that the room was unacceptable and that as a (on this trip) solo traveller paying a hefty supplement it was appalling. The reaction was a shrug of the shoulders and I was told that I did not pay the same as two people and so was not to expect much better.
Next I given the key - not shown the room, to another room on the second floor, this time the door, which was in wood panels was damaged. The top panel had a vertical opening (which showed signs of previously being filled with wood finish pollyfilla) which was about a quarter of an inch wide. When I returned to the desk and complained that this would compromise my safety and security I was told that they would repair it quickly - more pollyfilla? - and I could move in. I said "No thank you" and was then asked to wait until another room became available.
Bearing in mind that I had left the UK at 6am, checked in at 4am and been up since 3am I was by now exhausted but had to wait until after 12.00 midday to get into my bedroom. This room was small but at least I had a view - over the back of the hotel and able to see the swimming pool of the apartments on the other side of the road. I saw three bedrooms, all with dark furniture, a mattress which "pinged" when I moved and which was placed on a solid subframe. No comfort there!
Two couples who changed rooms said they were too small and claustrophobic. The hotel makes much of its history but be aware this does mean some small rooms with small windows and no balcony.
I asked the front desk to find out why the air con blew out hot air only, as I had a very swollen ankle, (due to a previous injury) and needed the air conditioning to help the swelling go down. When I asked for this to be done I was told that the Manager decided when to put on the AC and it was not hot enough! I asked my Thomson rep but she had no luck either. That meant that I had to spend a full day confined to the hotel as I was unable to walk anywhere.
Some of us booked tickets with our rep to go to an evening show, one couple received a fax saying the show was cancelled and another message to say to meet at 7.20 rather that 6.45, this was after they had booked a lunch rather than an evening meal. I received no message at all until I came downstairs to meet the rep who did not know about the trip being cancelled. This was Thomson's fault, but the hotel had not given me my fax until 6.45, this despite the fact that I had been confined to the hotel all day. The rep did some fast phoning and found that the trip had not been cancelled -Thomson's mistake but the hotel did not help by giving me a fax timed at 10.20 until nearly 7pm.
Overall the hotel is as I've said in a fantastic position, the bedrooms leave a lot to be desired in some cases, lack of AC which was advertised was very uncomfortable and I had to sleep with the door open (no security which was a worry) the men on the front desk were helpful at times but leave a lot to be desired. I do not think that it should be rated as a 4 star hotel, it relies too much on its history, this does not make up for poor quality bedrooms, lack of AC especially when requested, and poor desk staff. Returned on May 1st 2012.

Room Tip: Beware of some front rooms with small windows, also solo rooms, say no to room 130.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo