“Missing it already!”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Cheshire
“Missing it already!”
Reviewed 2 August 2008

A good place to stay. On a par with a good continental business hotel. We had a superior room on the 3rd floor (sea view but no balcony). Service was good, whether we were at reception, in the restaurant, or ordering a drink in the outside bar. No complaints at all on that front, in fact. Our stay there was scandalously lazy, and thoroughly enjoyable. Isn't it amazing how tired one can get doing nothing at all?

Our comfortable, air conditioned room had twin beds, a wardrobe, a desk, a tv (snowy picture on all channels. They reportedly have BBC1 & 2 though I couldn't decipher them). The bathroom had a bath (with shower head) and a separate shower, loo & sink. There was a safe that was free to use, and a minibar in which I stored my little tins of beer bought from the supermarket (over the road to the left from the main rear entrance).

Food - we ate breakfast on the deck overlooking the sea. It was really really pleasant there with views of the sea, the mountains, the boats - wonderful! It meant trotting back across the main pathway into the air conditioned dining room to collect our food from the breakfast buffet but it was a price well worth paying. Why some diners preferred to breakfast in the chilled dining room itself was unfathomable to me.

Breakfast featured a modest selection of cereals, plenty of fresh fruit (occasionally there appeared to be tinned fruit in amongst the choices), cooked breakfast, breads, sweet breads, preserves, cheese, meats, nuts and freshly squeezed orange juice (I know it was freshly squeezed because I saw the oranges going in!), and tea and coffee.

Dinner, served between 19.30 and 10.00 consisted of 3 courses followed by dessert (complementary bottle of wine&water on our first night).

The first course was usually a choice of soup or juice though one night I remember seeing ham&melon offered.

The second course was something along the lines of paella or a noodle dish.

The third was a choice of a fish, meat dish or carvery. You could substitute any of the first three courses with a visit to the salad bar (the usual core components plus a few nightly variations).

Dessert - a choice of 2, or ice cream.

As our stay was half board I wasn't able to compare the food with that of other restaurants in the area. My feeling is that breakfast, which kept us full all day, was good. The (certainly filling) evening meal was on a par with good canteen food (quite acceptable, but not really restaurant-quality).

Location - yes, you can walk from the entrance to the hotel to the clear, warm sea in about (ooh) 10 seconds, which was marvellous, of course, though you are somewhat off the beaten track. The hotel is situated close to the military base so you can't really stroll more than a few dozen metres north (We didn't find the base obtrusive - the three occasions we saw a sea plane take off offered quite a pleasant 15 minute distraction). Hence the only way to walk really is south, along the Pine Walk, into the main drag. But the main drag just seems that much tattier, noisier and more crowded than the northern part of the bay so we inevitably curtailed our visits there to retrace our steps to the sanctuary of the Illa D'Or.

Our trip was in the first week of the school holidays. The clientele was a mix of families and couples, with one or two single travellers. There was next to no grey hair on show.

Things I'd do differently next time - get a balcony. What, honestly, is the point of a sea view without one? I'd buy my newspaper from the supermarket too (the hotel was charging a 50 cent premium). And I'd go bed and breakfast only.

Would I go back? It was certainly relaxing, but apart from swimming and lazing, there's not a great deal else to do in the immediate vicinity. So probably not, no, though I certainly enjoyed the week very much.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location(!!)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Squarebear99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We have stayed in several hotels in Port de Pollensa and always been happy. This year we tried the best in town - the Illa D'Or and were not disapponted. The standard of service and quality of accommodation were exceptional.

The food in the evenings (4 courses) was excellent with plenty of choice.

The location by the sea - nothing between you and the water is amazing - but the beach at this point is not as good as some locations in the town - it is a bit weedy and there are small boats anchored off shore, but the water quality is good and there are fish and crabs to spot. The hotel is situated at the end of the Pine walk so it is a longish walk into town, with only a few buses (to and from Formentor) passing by each day, but if you are fit it is a pleasant walk.

There are 2 pools indoor and out - relatively small but lovely - not the place for kids on lilos and throwing balls about - that would not be allowed.

some may find the hotel formal and perhaps therefore not to their taste but we loved it - so did our 14 year old.

• Liked — Quality of service and meals
  • Disliked — Beach ( compared to other spots in town)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank CathYorkshire
London, UK
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Had a great stay at this very nice hotel. Nothing to fault really; room was nice and bright with a great sea-view from the 4th floor. Bathroom was more than adequate and, like the bedroom, spotlessly clean on arrival and after each room service.
Great breakfast - lovely to sit out on the terrace in the morning sunshine next to the sea. Evening meals were varied and of good quality, served by friendly and efficient staff. Hotel guests were mostly middle aged or older which is a big plus in my opinion. There were a few younger couples around, but no children - I don't think this hotel would appeal to young families as there appear to be no facilities for children as such - better to stay at one of the bigger hotels nearer the centre of the resort (we used to stay at the Puerto Azul Aparthotel with ours).
General atmosphere within the hotel is quiet and relaxing, and not at all stuffy and formal as I had somewhat worryingly anticipated! Smart-casual minimum is the dress code for dinner, but otherwise it's usual holiday gear, shorts and T-shirts etc. Nice to sit outside at the bar in the evening and watch the occasional entertainment and chat to other guests. Have a great time!

• Liked — Staff, location, cleanliness, quiet atmosphere
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OriginalScreenName
Surrey
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We have just returned from our first visit to the Hotel Illa D’or which is situated in an excellent location at the end of the promenade away from the hustle and bustle of Port de Pollenca.

Our first floor room was rather on the small side but we had an enormous balcony complete with table, chairs and sun loungers overlooking the sea. The air conditioning in the room and all public areas worked very well and was quiet. No tea or coffee making facilities are provided in the rooms so bring your own kettle etc if you want an early morning cuppa To make the most of your holiday I would definitely recommend that you book a room with either side sea view with balcony or preferably front sea view with balcony! There is also a very handy mini mart two minutes from the hotel which is open seven days a week. This is particularly useful for buying water as our rep suggested we didn’t drink the tap water in the rooms, even if boiled, as it had a strange taste. It just smelt very chlorinated to me.

A very good hot/cold buffet breakfast is served with lots of variety. Breakfast can also be taken on the terrace by the sea shore.

The evening meal is served in a large dining room which does not have much atmosphere. Others have complained about the slow service in the dining room. It was the opposite for us with the four courses being served in rapid succession. The quality of the food was OK as mass catering goes but we were not impressed by tinned vegetables! Dining room staff were polite and friendly.There are plenty of restaurants just a 10 minute walk along the promenade so a bed and breakfast tariff rather than half board would be a better bet if you don’t want to sit in a large dining room with a hundred or so other guests every evening.

La Terrassa (Illa D’or’s a la carte restaurant) is situated opposite the hotel by the water’s edge and is very good although rather pricey. An 11 Euro discount per person per evening meal is given if you choose to dine at La Terrassa rather than in the main dining room. Bear in mind 11 Euros doesn’t go far as most of the starters cost more than this. Well worth dining there though if you are looking for a special meal.

The sun terrace is inadequate for the size of the hotel and at busy times you will find yourself touching toes with your neighbours! The swimming pool is very small and not in a particularly attractive setting. The sun terrace and pool area were not in our opinion worthy of a 4 star hotel. People mainly swam in the sea, which was very clear and warm.

Others have complained about the noise of the seaplanes circling the bay. We didn’t find them at all intrusive. Perhaps we were lucky as we only saw them over three or four days for half an hour at the most. It was quite interesting watching them undertake their fire fighting exercises: scooping the water out of the sea and then dumping it over the mountains!

Overall we had a very enjoyable holiday and would probably return to the Illa D’Or but on a bed and breakfast tariff.

• Liked — Stunning views across the bay
  • Disliked — Lack of space around pool and sun terrace and tinned vegetables!
4 Thank Sharrie7
Hexham Northumberland
Reviewed 6 July 2008

The lasting impression of this hotel is that it is expensive and does not live up to what I expected bearing in mind on my booking confirmation it was described as an elite 4 star hotel.

On the plus side the hotel is situated in a lovely location on the bay is a beautiful building, clean and the staff were helpful and provided a good service throughout our stay.

However even though we had only booked a standard room although they offerred an upgrade for 30 euros a day extra which declined as we thought this to pricy the room allocated was small and the en suite facilties extremely small and the bath appeared only about half the normal size and we could only use the shower above it.

Breakfasts were fine but the evening meal in my opinion were not up to standard especially the main courses which I would describe as bland not very exciting and nothing better than poor canteen food.

The swimming pool is very small and a large part of it is in the shade for alot of the day and the sun terrace opposite the hotel again is small and can only take up to about 60 people with little space between the sun beds when full.

One of my main disappointments was that you could not use the outside terrace restuarant in the evening unless you were prepared to to order a la carte and the allowance towards the meal if you were booked half board in the hotel was only 11 euros per person hardly enough to buy a starter.

Take care using the path to the main part of the resort it is very uneven and a nightmare walking back to the hotel in the dark as it is badly lit.

Would I return probably not.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The quality of the evening meal
4 Thank johnturnbull1
Leicester
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Absolutely amazing- not the just the hotel, but some of the reviews I have just read.
My wife and I have visited Illa Dor many times over the past few years and know most of the staff well. We cannot speak highly enough of the standards at this 4 star hotel- It is the best value for money residence in this part of the island. Indeed as part of our stay in North East Mallorca last year we stayed at Formentor hotel- 5 star deluxe- and could not wait to transfer to this favourite of ours. The room we had at Formentor was truly shabby, and the food well below acceptable.
To put matters into context we are not "elderly" as suggested is common place by some contributors in their reviews. Anyway, such comments are a little "ageist", as most guests of the older generation we have found to be delightful conversationalists when you greet them.
All rooms described as "sea view" give you what they promise. The odd tree can partially obscure a full view- but for it to be otherwise would require the renaming of the "pine walk". This is quite normal for many apartments and hotels in this area.
As for the seaplane exercise- we did not find this in anyway intrusive on the odd occasion it passed by !
Most of the reviews contradict each other- e.g. no food left at breakfast- to the opposite end of the spectrum where it is noted that breakfasts were plentiful and varied.
We would endorse the majority of excellent reviews set out on tripadvisor. On balance I truly believe that any individuals enjoyment of a holiday at Illa Dor is a reflection of their own view on life.
This is an excellent well run hotel run, with many efficient and hardworking staff. We spend around 30 days abroad each year on various trips to cities and ski resorts, but this is the one place we feel truly at home during the summer.

• Liked — Very comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank MarkLeicester
Manchester
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I have recently returned from just one week's stay at the best hotel in Puerta Pollenca, obviously a sweeping statement considering I haven't stayed at them all...but! We booked Thomson 'A la carte' because it was the only brochure we could find the hotel in, and it offered the taxi transfer which we firmly believe is a must if travelling to the north of the island. None of that extra travelling in a hot and sweaty bus down twisting, mind numbing 'drops' adding ever more to your tiring journey, use an air conditioned taxi, it makes sense. Our room had a sea-view as requested, but if you are willing to go that extra mile, opt for a balcony, they are large and add something to the relatively small rooms. I didn't get off to the best of starts wearing shorts to our evening meal, (it states nothing in the brochure) and Jose, the head waiter, who was a cross between Danny La Rue and Tommy the Toreador, discreetly advised me otherwise. After that our relationship improved somewhat, he runs a tight ship and his well trained staff were always extremely attentive. The food was excellent with great alternatives available at all times, well cooked and extremely fresh. The pool is, as previously stated in other reviews, partly shaded for half the day, I found this wonderful for a pale skinned englishman petrified of the hot sun, working my way around the sun beds daily as my skin turned more and more pinkish; all hotels should be positioned thus. The hotel rooms were spotless, and whilst at dinner our beds were turned down by staff, with a note advising us of tomorrow's weather, and a couple of chocolates to sweeten the evening. I highly recommend this hotel to all, added to it's excellent service, Puerta Pollensa is a wonderful resort. Although this may be spoilt in the future due to the fact that whilst on my usual morning sojourn for a Latte Macchiatto and a bout of people watching I espied a couple of timeshare touts. Still the local Police did move them on eventually, and hopefully eternally!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of balcony
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family