Hotel Illa d'Or
FERGUS Style Pollensa Park SPA(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$212
  • Pool
Hoposa Daina Hotel(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$155
  • Breakfast included
Puerto Azul Suite Hotel(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$1,117
US$189
US$411
Hoposa Uyal Hotel(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$173
Hotel Romantic(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$202
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Sis Pins(Port de Pollenca)
US$158
US$153
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Hoposa Hotel & Apartments Villaconcha(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$121
Aparthotel Club del Sol Resort & SPA(Port de Pollenca)(Great Value!)
US$207
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Playa Mar & Spa Aparthotel(Port de Pollenca)
TripAdvisor
1,224 results
All reviewssea viewpine walkterrace restaurantbeautiful hotelhalf boarda la carte restaurantgin tonicwaters edgewaiter servicepuerto pollensaagatha christiesalad baroutdoor poolpublic roomssun terracesuperior roomevening meal
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Having read some earlier reviews we weren't expecting a decent room, service or food but have now come to the conclusion that many people who write a review have an axe to grind and are the complaing kind.
We have high standards and seek out the best hotels and restaurants and rest assured the Ila d'Or is high standard without any shadow of doubt. We paid in advance for a room with a sea view and were pleased with a standard central 4th floor room with a beautiful vista over the bay. It was well furnished and spotlessly clean, with a welcome basket of fruit and a well stocked mini bar (but no tea and coffee making). The TV had BBC1&2 and a hotel film channel. A balcony would have been a bonus but we didn't expect one and it wasn't necessary as we could easily sit or lie out immediately in front of the hotel and on the seafront. Even at the end of October it was warm enough to swim in the sea and dine outside on the seafront at lunch time and one breakfast time (which was a real treat watching the fish in the sea including an octopus)).
There was a vast and varied buffet spread for breakfast with nice hot coffee and endless freshly squeezed orange juice. It catered for all tastes, including local Mallorcan specialities. The 4 course dinners provided a good choice - there was always a fish dish and a carvery selection and good helpings. It bore no resemblance to my school dinners (which were in fact excellent). Especially impressive was the attentive and personal service to everyone and there was never significant waiting for anybody. We were fearing poor service having read reviews and we made sure we were in the dining room for 7.30 on the first night, but there was no need. It may be that we were there at a quieter time and the terrace restaurant wasn't open, but we have nothing but praise for the attentive barmen and restaurant staff and this was our first visit so we didn't pull any special favours.
The place is beautifully furnished with lots of modern artworks, antiques and loads of big new sofas in the lounges. What really makes it special though is the quiet setting and the fabulous views across the bay and the little beach and terrace in front.
There was some good entertainment in the lounge bar including an afternoon pianist, a jazz group, Spanish dancing and a free trip to a concert in a church in Pollensa whilst we were there.
All in all an excellent hotel.
If I had to criticise anything it would only be to say the indoor pool is very small indeed and hardly possible to swim in; there's no gym and the man at reception had so little to say when we left it seemed like he was very unthankful for our custom and we had to try and make pleasant conversation as he thrust our bill at us with no explanation of the contents.
Clearly it attracts many regulars and particularly at this time an older crowd and we can well see why as it surely is very high class.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank noryorkie
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We returned to the Illa d'Or after an absence of eight years. Not much has changed in the intervening period other than a lick of paint in the bedrooms. However, it was like meeting an old friend after an absence of time. The position of the Hotel is superb, the staff are wonderful, and there can be few more relaxing places to pass a few days. The Illa d'or seems to cater very much for middle aged and retired Brits (three tiered cake stands for afternoon tea being very much in evidence) and the place exudes an almost colonial atmosphere (it has been in business since 1929)
There will certainly be downsides. Our room was classed as "superior." The very basic furnishings certainly bely any pretensions to such a description, but apparently, all rooms with a sea view are described as such. Reading other review comments, the more basic rooms, particularly on the upper floors, really do appear to be basic.
The sea is accessed directly in front of the Hotel, across the sun lounger and bar area, and there is also a very nice outdoor swimming pool (and apparently an indoor one too)
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and only dined in the Hotel restaurant on our last night when it was raining. Past experience when we stayed on demi pension had shown that the food was indifferent, but our last dinner was a very pleasant surprise, and of excellent quality. The terrace restaurant on the edge of the sea is quite lovely, with quality of food and service to match.
In summary, the place is not perfect, but does have a warmth and charm all of its own, as witnessed by the number of guests who return year after year. As a place to chill out for a week,despite its shortcomings , it takes some beating.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Mullion
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I am only giving this hotel a rating or two instead of one as the location is beautiful and the reception staff were very helpful and the breakfast was good. However the negatives outway the positives. When we arrived we were offered a dreadfully dark crampt room in the eaves of the top floor of the hotel. We decided to pay a supplement for a very standard room with a seaview which was fairly small. The worst thing about the hotel is the evening meal - very poor and unappetising. Very tasteless food which wasn't always hot-think canteenfood/ school dinners! We wouldn't say we were particularly fussy people but finished up having to eat out as we couldn't face the food. The managers attitude was that a lot of people liked the food but we spoke to a lot of people who were unhappy with it. Unfortunately because of this we were very disappointed with the hotel. I certainly would not recommend it.

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank travelto
Reviewed 16 September 2008

What can I say after looking forward to our stay here since booking in January. Lovely hotel in a nice location. Upon arrival we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room from one at the back of the hotel with not much of an outlook apart from other peoples balconys and alot of white paint to a large balcony room at the front of the hotel which we decided to upgrade to for a price (approx £130 for the 7 nights).

The first two nights restaurant service was terrible, we were still eating our evening meal at 9.45pm after sitting down at our table at 7.45pm and us both eating only 3 courses, on the second morning at breakfast we were totally ignored by the waiter serving coffee for 15 minutes, on the third night we complained to the manager who seemed to have his meal in the restuarant each night and he totally disagreed with what we were telling him, and found his manner to be rather rude, we found out that quite a few guests were not happy with the service and they had complained to their reps. After this the service did seem to improve and we decided from there on we would go down for our meal as soon as the restuarant opened (7.30pm) it seemed by going at this time the staff could cope with the amount of people's food orders!

We were located at a table at the rear of the restaurant, we got the impression the more times you stayed at the hotel the better table you got towards the front of the restaurant overlooking the bay, I overheard a waiter say to some new guests "Tonight not good table but tomorrow night you get good table because people will be leaving" . The staff were rather friendly towards repeat customers, it seemed they got preferential treatment.

The sunbeds on the hotel front were so uncomfortable we did not stay on them for long! you had to be down early in a morning to reserve one along with the regulars which I think is really sad but nevermind.

Overall I don't think the hotel was worth the money we had paid, and we will not return to the Illa D'or.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank ErnieCOne
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I arrived at the hotel with my 2 children to be told that the room rate arranged via expedia was incorrect and that I would have to pay the hotel a further £1200 approx for our 2 week stay. I was kept in reception for an hour just going round in circles with them. When I called Expedia they said the rate I was given was correct but the hotel said no it was not and that if I was not prepared to pay the difference I should leave! The man at reception was very rude and just kept saying we have nothing to do with Expedia, even though many people stay at their hotel via Expedia. I had no choice but to sign for the higher fee for the night and sort it out in the morning.
Things were no better in morning as they had checked their paper work over night and had found that they had informed their agent Lux of the error and had asked them to contact Expedia to let the clients know. (As it turned out later Lux only informed Expedia about the other client and not about us, hence we had not been notified). Again I found the staff to be very off hand and they had little sympathy and not much interest in helping me sort out the situation.
Anyway to cut a long story short, (however I would just like to say at one time we were going to be moved by Expedia, packing our cases, and then unpacking when they could not find a suitable hotel)!! - a week later Expedia paid up the difference. Yes, Expedia did get the price wrong. Lux the hotels agent had also made mistakes but at the end of the day I felt my holiday was spoiled. My children and I felt very uncomfortable with the hotel staff. Although when the matter was settled they sent champagne and fruit to our room, it could not take away the way we had been treated particularly on arrival and being flippantly told, why are you so worried, it is only money!! I look back and think they clearly thought I had been informed of the error and was trying it on, as when it became apparented that I had not been informed they were a little more helpful.
The hotel itself is not very child friendly. No floats in the pool and a beach attendant to stop anyone jumping in the pool. No splashing allowed!!! No straws in the kids drinks etc. It is very much an adults hotel. I spoke to a couple with 2 children. They had booked 2 standard rooms but on arrival found they were on different floors and were then made to pay for 2 superior rooms so they could be next door to one another!
We did have a lovely room and were lucky to have a balcony and the hotel is in a fantastic position but the staff do play an important role on holiday and that feel good factor went the moment we walked in the door.
I shall not be returning to this hotel obviously and I certainly to not think it suitable for families.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family