“Good hotel”
Review of Hoposa Uyal Hotel

Hoposa Uyal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed in Hoposa Uyal in Port de Pollenca and ultimately we were satisfied with it.
The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
We had breakfast every morning and that service is one of the best I ever had in restaurants: great selection of food, some are prepared there. Many tables and places to sit, including the terrace too.

The Internet (wifi) was however disappointing. Very poor signal, slow internet and the phones could not even connect sometimes.

It's good to know that the hotel has 2 buildings. The main building and there is a newer building (we've stayed in this as on arrival we were offered to choose where we would like to stay) across side road. It is just next to the other building, so not an issue at all, but good to know that this building doesn't have a receiption.

We've stayed in a room with side-sea view from the balcony, but that was also good as we had a great view.

The beach was just across the road, which is absolutely fantastic. (There are also facilities there, like toilets, bar and lifeguards)

The hotel was not the cheapest by far, but taking everything into consideration, I can recommend it to everyone

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel953
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family for 1 week in October half term.

Firstly, the location of the hotel is great. Right across the road is a beautiful beach with clear blue water. 20 minute walk into town to get to the main shops / restaurants.

The room was excellent. We paid for a junior suite with a sea view which was very spacious and the view was breathtaking. In addition to this the room was very clean and the cleaning service did a fab job.

The food was ok. As I fussy eater I struggled to find a main meal to eat on a couple of nights but filled up on breads, cheeses and desserts. However my parents didn't have a problem with the food and found it to be delicious.

Service from all staff was excellent, all very friendly and very prompt with taking orders / taking dishes and drinks away.

Only downside to the hotel would be the pool and pool area. The pool is very small and there isn't a lot of room around it. This didn't bother us as we used the beach across the road most days.

Overall excellent hotel that's kept some of it's Majorcan characteristics, would definitely return in the future. This hotel appears to be for older adults and seems to be a good hotel for cyclists.

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Sunworshiper456
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel. Great location, opposite the beach and short walk into the centre. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms fabulous, best room i've ever stayed In abroad spacious, clean, modern, brilliant balcony with beautiful view. Food was great, really good choice at breakfast and dinner. Lots of variety each day and could feed my 1 and 3 year olds no problem. Will definitely visit this hotel again

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Lindsay C
Reviewed 6 November 2013

First visit to the Uyal last week (but by no means first visit to Port de Pollensa). Here are some thoughts:

Location. Ideal; just across the road from the beach, at the southern end of town, perhaps a mile and a half to Gin and Tonic Corner, on the Pine Walk. Bus stop outside hotel, two bar restaurants within a biscuit’s toss.

Building. Fine, solid building; dating perhaps to the 1930s? Spacious and airy public areas, nice outdoor terraces and pool with waitress service and a bar(where one can breakfast, or eat dinner, which is nice).

Rooms. We had a junior suite, with a sea view. Lots of space; two televisions, fridge, hair dryer, ironing board, free safe, etc. All well up to four star standards. The bed was enormous, and very comfortable. Bathroom was modern and very well equipped; there were good towels every day and complimentary fluffy bathrobes to lounge about in. (To give some idea of the quality of the hotel’s construction, our room’s door was attached with four stainless steel hinges and thirty two screws- that’s solidity!) I would recommend these suites, and as a nice touch, the seats on the balcony were whicker, with comfy cushions, not your usual plastic affairs.

Service. Judging from previous reviews, some guests had issues with the service, but we found all of the staff, including the domestics, very friendly, attentive, and good at their jobs. Absolutely no complaints.

Food. Breakfasts at the Uyal were excellent. A huge assortment of just about everything, hot and cold. I counted twelve different types of bread and eight or nine cakes alone, plus the usual cereals, fresh fruits and juices, cheeses, cold meats etc and a full English, if you wanted one.
I have had my rant about buffet meals in 4* hotels elsewhere on Tripadvisor, so I won’t go there. Suffice to say that the same sort of range, and attention to detail was paid to the evening buffet as to breakfast. Lots of choice (including Spanish or Mallorcan specialities) ; usually four or five different salads, and starters, and the same number of mains. Plenty of pudding choices, too.
Now many folk raved about the evening meals; but for me, they were, ultimately, unsatisfying Nothing would offend anyone, but neither would it delight; and I always had the impression that it was food cooked with people who had few of their own teeth in mind. This is a very personal gripe, so don’t be put off (My wife loved them). Needless to say: three days in and I was craving, at the very least, a lamb Vindaloo.

Clientelle. In the week in which we stayed, last one of the season and schools’ half term holidays; the hotel was by no means full (which is why we didn’t encounter the two sittings for dinner model, which some folk complained about), but had a goodly number of guests. 85% of these were white British retirees, ranging from the sprightly walkers to the more doddery. There was a smattering of German couples, and a few families with small children. This is emphatically not a hotel (or indeed a resort) for teenagers or club goers. Judging by the visitors book in the lounge, many people were multiple returnees, including one couple who had holidayed at the Uyal for thirty-five consecutive years!

Would we go again? Tomorrow. There is really very little to complain about at all, and very much to recommend the Hotel Uyal about, except perhaps.. the hotel’s Wi-Fi set up. Now I know that we are all supposed to go on holiday to get away from it all, but, in reality, a lot of us want, and sometimes need, to be connected for various reasons. Sad creatures that we are, my wife and I arrived with two smartphones, a tablet and two kindles, all requiring Wi-Fi; and the Uyal’s set up, apart from being slow, was unreliable and only available in certain location around the hotel. There is, theoretically, the option to hire a Wi-Fi hub for about 8 Euros a day, which might or might not have been available when we where there, (we never got to the bottom of this) but I do feel that The Uyal could spend a few hundred quid for a better system. If I knew it was going to work, I’d even pay a few Euros a day for it.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sea view every time.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank RayattheBay
HOPOSAHOTELS, Gerente at Hoposa Uyal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much on behalf of Hoposa Uyal staff and myself for your extended and good writting review. We are very glad to know that you would come tomorrow if that was possible and we wish it was. We take good note of your suggestion about wi-fi and for sure we will have a better system for next year. We hope to see you again in a near future.Best wishes.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We chose this property because we love the beach at Port de Pollenca. We had a third floor room in the annex next door. It was comfortable and clean and very quiet. The weather is so wonderful, we spent most of the time on our balcony which had a beautiful view of the bay, beach, mountains and some of the town. The breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of selections. It is an easy walk into town and nearby restaurants and shops. For a refundable deposit, you can get large towels to use on the beach and they are refreshed daily. We had very little interaction with the staff but they seemed friendly.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MMM54
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Location wise, the pictures do not do this hotel justice. It was so scenic, down the quiet side of the town and at the widest part of the beach along the port. Ideal for our young family.

The staff were superb and so friendly. I was really worried at our half term break that the kids (2 and 6 years old) wouldn't suit the dining hall of mainly adults, but the staff put us at ease straight away and the children reacted in behaving (hopefully) well.

Food was excellent and beyond what we were expecting.

Prices were expensive for drinks etc, but what you would expect from a hotel.

If I visit Majorca again (which I hope we will) this would be the only place I'd stay as looking around at other towns (Soller was lovely) and hotels we felt this was just the pick of the bunch.

Room Tip: The junior suites are great as they offer a bit more private space on the balcony first floor. If yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I literally have no idea what the previous reviewer means about the meals, so it seems a good place to start. I too am a solo traveller, and was booked into the Hotel Pollentia next door, which had already closed for the year, so I was upgraded for free to the Hotel Uyal. Bear this in mind when reading this review as I paid around £38 a night including half board. But let me just say I would have been happy paying £50 or £55 a night for this hotel. It was truly brilliant. Here's why:
Food:
The food selection was quite simple expansive. Around 4 or 5 main meals in the evening to choose from. Always cold meat, cheeses, salads, breads and a soup option. Pudding: Always fresh fruit, then a cake/tart kind of option, as well as yoghurts and usually another mousse or alternative 'main' pudding. Breakfast simply cannot be explained in words. Every morning, bacon, beans, eggs(cooked to order), omelettes (cooked to order), continental breakfast (patisserie items), cereals (4 to choose from), fresh fruit, cold meats, cheeses. I have not eaten this well or this much in many years. To complain about the food would mean only one thing; you are an extremely fussy eater. The best thing: buffet self service = return as many times as you like. Never, ever left feeling like I was not satisfied.
The waiting staff were simply exceptional. Obviously bring drinks to the table, charge to the room if you like, once done with one course simply put your knife and fork together and within 40 seconds the plate would be gone from in front of you. Needless to say everyone in the hotel I spoke to spoke brilliant English. The chefs who I spoke to were clearly passionate about their job and the food they cook, and appreciated all of the good feedback.
The room:
I paid for a single room. I received a twin room with rear racing shared balcony. Every room had a mini bar, large television, excellent bathroom. Just cannot praise highly enough. My only complaint about the room (or hotel in general) is that the WiFi could have been a lot quicker. The signal was acceptable in most places, but the general speed was quite poor (under 0.5MB at all times, often did not work at all). Not a problem for all, but worth mentioning if you're there working etc. I got onto a free WiFi at a cafe up the road and it was much quicker, so not a limitation of the area.
The area:
Every time I walked to town, It was a fairly long way (700m or so). But this did mean that when you got back to the hotel, it was very quiet in comparison with the Hotel Daina or others that are in the town centre. I was relieved by this as I never heard any music or loud noise from the Uyal. The beach outside was stunning at all times of the day, needless to say.
Cycling:
I came alone on a post summer training trip, so brought my own bike. The hotel had a garage with a washer/drier, water, workstands and a pump. There were 75 hooks available for bikes. If I had to be really picky the hooks in one room did not stick out enough for my 38mm rims to fit through, but that is really quite picky! The other room was fine. Would recommend bringing a lock just in case, however. The garage was locked and a key was at reception. Reception staff always happy to give the key to me, was never any hassle.
One thing I would say as I have not been riding alone before of this nature, is that having a wonderful hotel with a brilliant shower and amazing room to come back to is such a pleasant thought after a day riding in the mountains. Also knowing that whatever was on the menu, I would be eating well that evening, just takes one thing off your mind when you are riding. I cannot stress enough that the food was simply exceptional, in my eyes.
Some meal examples for those who are interested:
Simple items such as spaghetti bolognese or spaghetti carbonara. More interesting stuff such as a veal hunters stew, or a tongue stew. Down to simple items like veal steak cooked to order in front of you, or chicken escalopes. Sides would be boiled carrots, mixed veg, potato wedges, chips, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes etc etc. Very edible stuff. Nothing michelin star, this Hotel is designed to make you as comfortable as possible.
I will add that every member of staff I spoke to was polite, helpful and very friendly. Definitely got the impression that people enjoyed working here and enjoyed good customer satisfaction.
To sum up (and I have probably missed a lot of excellent things), an amazing hotel with excellent food and excellent staff.
My points to improve: WiFi speed. Pint of San Miguel was 3.65EUR but a pint of lemonade was 4.60EUR. Nonsensical to me! Also hotel could benefit from a masseuse during the spring period as will be busy with Cyclists.
Quite funny reading these reviews as many of them are for the week I went and obviously the same people I ate with each evening and morning. I never got the impression anyone was unhappy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank William F
HOPOSAHOTELS, Gerente at Hoposa Uyal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear William, such a great review deserve a big big thank you from Hopasa Uyal and all staff. Your detailed comments about the hotel describes the feeling of the main part of our customers. We worked hard all summer to do our job as better as we can ,and I can´t imagine a better present for end of season that your review. Thank you very much and best regards