“lovley family holiday”

FERGUS Style Pollensa Park SPA
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We returned from the Pollensa Park on the the 9th of August. We were a party of four, two forty somethings and 10 and 13 year old girls. We were very unsure about this holiday because for the past two years we had gone on very expensive holidays, but due to moving we had to budget!!! We Emailed in advance and got a supa room on the 7th floor. My teenager daughters room was on the ground floor and more than ok for her needs. The food was ok, not 5* but what most families would eat and we ate out a couple of time when we fancied something a little more speacial. The pool was lovely and spent most days relaxing around it while the girls played with their newly made friends. After dinner most nights we took slow walk into pollensa to get a jug of sangria and cocktail in one of the many lovely sea front bars. We got back to the Hotel most night in time to watch the various late night shows, whigh my not have been broadway level but were just as enjoyable in their own riight. The Holiday came to an end all to soon with none of us wanting to go home, and promicing to return again next year to the same hotel.

Having exprienced holidays at the very top end of the market, my two daughters both said this was the best holiday they had ever had, saying they loved the relaxed and friendly atmosphere of the hotel. My husband and i also had a wonderful time and are seriously considering returning there again next year.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxed and enjoyable holiday with good quality family time and no stresses

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank spiking

Reviewed 3 August 2008

As you will appreciate these comments are as a result of my experiences, which were I feel a little unlucky, but do reflect (on some points), the hotel management.
However, I do recognise these are unique points, and I would probably stay here again.
I travelled with my two daughters aged 6 and 9yrs both having special educational needs and therefore are very vulnerable.
You may not want to read all of this,(I do tend to waffle), so I'll just make some quick tips:
- Always carry a lot of water.
- Take a small (50ml is ideal) bottle of anti-bacterial Hand-Gel.
- Take moisturising/baby wipes to mop those brows and necks!
- Take a packet of anti-bacterial D-T-OX wipes - just habit...
- E-mail ahead for a good room. Ask for a 7-8th floor room overlooking the pool, (or even better the front), of this Y-Shaped hotel.The views are stunning.
- If, god help you, you do need the services of a Doctor, make sure that you ask to be seen by a state Doctor and not one of the many private doctors operating from the medical centres in the Puerto Pollensa. You will not be able to access medical care via your EHIC card.
-Hire a fridge
-Hire a room safe.
- Beware of the ice-cubes

I, as do most, did my homework via Tripadvisor and others, re the hotels, in the resort (Pre-chosen).and decided on the P.P.
In spite of the many, fantastic reports, I couldn't get excited about the hotel's exterior shown in the brochures -1970's package holiday deal.
Journey from Palma good - travelled with a family who were familiar with the hotel and were pleased to be returning - reassuring.Having stopped at the other hotels first, I felt we had made the right choice.
Foyer, a bit dated, but welcoming. A large board showed entertainment and activites for the week - a quick glance suggested hotel geared for English clientele. Check in - staff friendly,smart,helpful and most spoke VG english, - except for the Manager, I think. Get a room safe, essential but pricey .
Rep meeting 10am next morning, and breakfast 7.30am - 10 am(sharp)! nb reps were always available VG.& they always walked down and ensured that you got on the bus - which was nice.

Two lifts,quick and efficient. To our great pleaure, we had been allocated a wonderful room on the 8th floor (833).Obviously recently renovated the passageways were tasteful and carpetted (no noisy passerbys) - very pleasing.
Our room was on the curve of the Y shape, with a super, double sized balcony, and enabling stunning views of the pool/entertainment area and further out to the mountains,sea and beach.Since the skyline is mostly smaller chalet apartments
this affords the guests with the best views of the bay.

Room basic,spotless and fine for us .A/C was silent, efficient and very welcome, but there was no essential fridge and electric sockets were hard to find and loose fitting.
My daughter was violently sick during the night and I needed help for new laundry.Took nearly an hour for a response from the (24hr!) front desk. He came straight up, but the poor chap had no idea what to do & poor english.Finally got fresh sheets & pillows and I was left to get on with it... I felt I should warn the maids of the soiled sheets still left in my room - they were brilliant ladies and the housekeeping was always faultless.
Due to being up a lot of the night, we missed breakfast time by minutes(no allowances..), but just in time for the Reps talk. Very informative - did not do the hard sell - we did 3 trips, but they were very expensive. Do not miss the Pirates and I would say that it is worth paying the extra for the quarterdeck, for a guaranteed good view. NB free drinks all night... In the heat it is probable you will want to visit a water park .We did a 2 centre Marineland/Aqualand day. I would give Marineland a miss, apart from the short dolphin show, there is nothing more there, than a good zoo in the UK. Aqualand, we (Except me, see later) all found this to be fantastic.good facilities, lovely pools for all ages and exciting rides.
Third trip was beautiful and definately not to be missed (Soller mountain trip)- coach/boat/tram/train/coach. Rep from TUI called Celia, was fantastic.She informed us more about the island than any other.
As all have said, hotel was constantly cleaned and the poolside was done last , enforcing a nice no-go for the poolside brigade before 9am. but, residents of other hotels were allowed to use the pool and joined in the rush for a place...

However the gardens provided a wonderful place to catch sun/shade and breeze. My girls loved the playground, however part of the wooden bridge broke, through use, and although management was informed, we didn't see it repaired. There were mostly younger children (due to term-time, but older children would certainly be well catered for).and at this time it was not over-crowded, considering the size of the hotel, ideal.
The pool was the centre of all attention and was beautiful.It has disabled access and previous residents had left inflatables for everyone's use - great fun. However you are minutes from the most beautiful beach.Pure,white (hot) sand and the clearest blue sea. Sun -beds pricey.
Food - mixed feelings - 'restaurant manager' on the door, was abrupt/rude - Tables set out cramptly, but smart..
At height of season, I could forsee problems of dreadful, and unbearable overcrowding. Buffet style, or 'like a canteen' is correct. Food, although good selection, some looked a bit dodgy and only just kept warm. As soon as cutlery hit the plate, it was whisked away by the over-efficient staff - in fact I had to ask for my plate back..!
The only time we got tummy upsets was after having eaten there...
Consequently, I took my girls down the beautiful short stroll towards the marina and on the palm walk to the town square where there are countless lovely restaurants. We were extremely lucky to be visiting during the week of the Fiesta, when particular carnival activities and dancing take place, ending spectacularly on Sunday evening by a fantastic procession of 'firework adorned men' (really !!) followed by a band and the crowd down to start the main fantastic firework display which lit up the whole skies over the water...
Then, I lost a daughter. She walked off, suddenly frightened by one of the fireworks.Amongst the hundreds of people, all I could do was return quickly to the hotel, in the hope that she could remember where we were staying and at lthe very least, her name... She wasn't there and the management refused to do anything, saying that she is older & making friends with other nice children..Despite my try, in Spanish to explain her special needs and this being very unlikely. He said that he would give after 30 minutes then call police.He was about to do so as she was brought in distraught, by an older couple staying at another hotel, to whom I am deeply indebted.Racked with guilt...
I also found a cockroach (just one...?), which I didn't flinch at, but it scared the life out of my girls.. (I told reception for their interest mainly for the next residents of the room). The man at reception didn't seem neither surprised, nor worried. Am I to expect this in hot countries? I was told that if I found another then they would come up...
Eventful heh?
Well, the worst was my going down with tonsillitis (not pleasant...) on the third day and getting more and more run down, whilst trying not to show it and ruining the childrens time.By the fourth day, my experience of tonsilitis told me that these were classic symptoms and having felt too ill and therefore missing the benefit of Aqualand , I had to accept the need for a doctor.
I told the rep who arranged for a doctor to come to my room.Immediate diagnosis was a very severe case and immediate treatment needed. The doctor required 85 Euros (call-out fee) and gave me brief directions. You have to take the prescription to the chemist, get the medicine and take it to the medical centre in town for the injection. (nb keep all receipts).
He had never seen an EHIC card ! (and later it was explained to me by the health care people in the UK, that he probably wouldn't do , as he sounded like a private doctor... so you must ask for a state doctor if you want to be reimbursed) - and he waived it off... Injection done,+ a few hours, I felt fine and dandy!
They also said that If I had asked the hotel front desk, rather than the rep, it is very likely that I would have received treatment from a state doctor - just for your info...

Puerto Pollensa is an absolutely marvellous resort, especially for families and at this time of year.
All in all, I would probably stay at the Pollensa Park again, but again, not in high season, as the facilities would be far too crowded for the size of the hotel.
I sound like I am really fussy, but I am just a normal mum, with normal practical concerns and I hope that my comments may be of use to someone (if they have got this far...)

4  Thank rosey001
Reviewed 3 August 2008

I booked this hotel following good reviews on this website. I was not disappointed! E mailed to request 3 high floor rooms and were allocated 3 on 7th floor. It was breathtaking when opening the curtains each day.

Our party included 2 x 17year olds, a 19 year old and a 21 year old as well as us 50 somethings. The family loved the pool, the pool games, boules, the bingo and most of the entertainment, especially the Beatles tribute band. My neice who is a very picky eater was always able to find something to eat at breakfast and dinner. Due to the size of the hotel and the number of people catered for, dinner was not a relaxing affair. Hewever if you left the table with your drinks there was always somewhere relaxing to sit in the lounge areas. I loved the food - there was a lot of choice and always local dishes to try as well as the chips. Breakfast included continental with fresh rolls, cakes, croissants, cheeses and cold meats as well as cereals, dried fruits and a selection of fresh fruit and full English breakfast. Dinner, served as a buffet included soup, rolls, salads, vegetables, potatoes, pasta rice, chips and usually two different meats and fish, cheese and biscuits, fruit, creme caramel, rice pudding, mousses, cakes and ice cream. The staff in the dining room were always immaculate, efficient and friendly.

My husband and I explored using the very efficient and inexpensive local buses and trains. We especially enjoyed a visit to Pollensa and to Alcudia with its walls and bullring. We enjoyed the fireworks on the beach on the last night of the town's fiesta and the kids enjoyed a party on the beach the previous night.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel for a wonderful family holiday.

1  Thank SusannaM
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I can't agree that this terrific hotel is redolent of a 1970 holiday camp. On the contrary, it is a well-run establishment with great facilities, good food, an excellent situation, and excellent and friendly management.

My wife and I had a splendid holiday and were impressed by the standard and variety of the food. We have travelled all over the world and been lucky enough to stay at some top-class hotels, and we will happily recommend the Pollensa Park to anyone. Certainly, you would need to dine there more than twice before dismissing the restaurant as some kind of canteen!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We have just returned from a week at The Pollensa Park Hotel, Majorca"3 July 2008) Having not been to Majorca(Alcudia) for 20 years we had remembed that Pollensa was a nice resort, and booked this Hotel on a late booking for 7 day break through Thomas Cook. When we arrived outside I was very a little underwelmed, mind you it was 5am in the morning... but we we welcomed and sent off to our room 805 which clearly had been refurbished with electronic key cards to access(some of the hotel had big steel weights with the key) and although not huge the room was adequate for 3 (two adults and 15 year old) for 7 days, the big suprise was when we opend the curtains to the veranda later in the morning to see the most beautiful panoramic view of the mountains and Pollensa harbour... one of the nicest hotel room views we have ever stayed in. The meals are self serve buffet style with a good (if not basic) choice, as I mainly eat fish and white meat and my family mixed there was always a reasonable choice to select, good basic family food. Hotel staff from management to support staff were excellent, probable the most friendly and unassuming we have met, the animation programme was very good , including archery, rifle shooting, french boules, water polo, volley ball, football so great for 15 to 50 year olds, evening entertainment was ok but not much more, but then most folk (as we did) tend to take the pleasant walk along the lovely promenade to the cafe culture area near the harbour which has an excellent choice for all. On Sunday evening(20th July) we experienced the most spectacular Firework Display along the beach front as part of the Virgen del Carmen celebrations(an annual event across Spain) and well worth seeing if you visit in July next year. I was most impressed with the cleanliness on this hotel....it seemed the cleaners never stopped!! Every morning busy washing the sun loungers....chairs...floors etc, and not allowing the "Towel Brigade" on to the terrace before 9am, this hotel is very clean, maids attended the rooms daily(although we never actually saw one the beds were always made and rooms left spotless.
The pool area was a little overcrowded but very clean...and relaxing, with two tree lined garden areas offering shade and relaxarion away from the pool area..

Travel is easy with an excellent choice of public transport along the coast and to main areas such as Palma, Inca etc.

Overall ....excellent budget break...I would definatly reccommend this hotel, to those who want to relax and enjoy the sights.

If I was staying in Pollensa again, I would stay at this hotel...no doubt and many of the other folks we talked to had been every year for upto 10 years and one couple had returned having been 8 weeks previously!

Enjoy!! .........

Reviewed 23 July 2008

Just got back from a weeks holiday, and had the best time ever! On first impresssions, you may think "Gosh this looks a bit old fashioned, and a bit like a Cruise liner!", however the place was always always clean and tidy, with excellent friendly staff.
The food is good, although some things on there are a bit dodgy to say the least, and sometimes not hot enough for my liking! Nevertheless, there was a great choice for breakfast and supper, and the staff were really efficient.
Outside was our favourite bit. There were plenty of sunloungers around, and we really enjoyed sun bathing in the garden, which was slightly away from the fantastic olympic sized pool!
Entertainment was provided every night, some were shockingly hurrendous (which was funny in its self), and even though I've never played bingo in my life, we tried one night and won 120 euros!!!!
From reading all the other reviews on this, it was recommended that we should email them directly to request a room on the 8th floor. That's what I did (only 3 days prior because it was a late deal), and low and behond we checked in and got keys for room 809!! The view was absoultely stunning, and couldnt have asked for a better room (although there was no fridge!). I think emailing them directly is well worth it because I spoke with a couple who had booked nearly 8 months in advance, and they got a room on the very 1st floor!! Neadless to say, they were very jealous that I's managed to get a room on the 8th floor, and only booked 3 days prior.
Puerto Pollensa is gorgoeus, and I'd definately recommend te TIBIRI restaurant which is near the square. The Palm tree walk is also nice. The market is also good, and you really can haggle the prices down. Not annoying touts there either saying "come here to my restuarnat etc", and no annoing drunken bums and hen/stagg doos!
All in all, it is a great family and couple holiday, and I will definately go back again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2008

This was the second week of a Cruise/Stay and rounded up a fabulous holiday. This hotel is lovely inside and the pool area was great for my 2 kids with plenty of sunbeds even in July. Our room was ample enough for our needs and the bathroom was extremely big and obviously refurbished.
The best thing about this site is other peoples' comments and I took on board someone who had been in room 522 and emailed the hotel to ask for it. We got room 522 which is at the end of the hotel with glass windows and a balcony the whole way round with a 180o panoramic view of the sea, formentor, harbour and the swimming pool. So anyone going please ask for room 522/622/722/822 - its glorious!
Food was very nice (the excellent food on the cruise had spoilt us from the week before) and the restaurant was always busy but staff are efficient and altho' you had to queue for food, this moved very quickly and wasn't a problem.
This is a very civilized hotel - no lager louts or rowdies - and remember to bring long trousers for the restaurant if you're a man (for the evenings).
Excellent entertainment at night - we seen a Freddie Mercury/Beatles/Rod Stewart tribute - there were plenty of seats available - but please see the Elvis tribute in the pub across the road - he's hilarious (for all the wrong reasons!) he made our holiday!! Also, the Lionel Ritchie tribute at the pub(Monday evening) was brilliant!!
All-in-all - this is a lovely hotel, ideal for families and couples of all ages - the resort is still relatively upmarket and the wednesday market at Puerto pollensa was well worth a visit. But ask for rooms 522/622/722/822 - the large balcony and the views will blow you away! If you're planning a cruise/stay (we were on the Island Escape the week before) pick this hotel for your second week - this was the best holiday I've ever had!!

2  Thank ustupidwoman