“Service as bad as the sausages!”

FERGUS Style Pollensa Park SPA
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
“Service as bad as the sausages!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have just returned from a weeks stay in Pollensa Park Hotel and whilst I can say that I would wholeheartedly recommend and return to Pollensa I can only say the opposite for Pollensa Park Hotel.

The good bit - it was clean, the room was of a reasonable standard and although a bit of a walk to town the location suited us fine.

Sadly the above represents the full extent of anything good I have to say about the hotel and I shall therefore continue onto the bad.

1) Breakfast - Basic, extremely poor quality and the same every day. In addition the sausages were truly hideous, I cannot fathom having now read a ream of reports saying the same why they have not changed them!! The 1st evidence this hotel does not listen to it's customers.
2) Coffee - Again truly hideous, don't get me wrong I'm not fussy I'd usually be happy with any old rubbish (same applies to sausages) but this stuff was rank! The cappuccino tastes like chocolate (not in a good way) and the rest are just equally awful . I didn't raise the complaint on site but was somewhat amused when I overheard other customers complaining about it, to be told yes our cappuccino tastes of chocolate. In addition I now see a few reports saying the same but again no change. 2nd evidence it does not listen to it's customers.
3) The Service - One evening I decided to visit the Pool bar, my first (and only) attempt to use the hotel services aside from the hideous breakfasts. I entered the bar and politely asked "hi are you still serving" the barman shrugged and replied "what do you want", I replied "I would like a mojito please", on hearing this the barman displayed agitation, shook some things around, looked very angry and told me to go to the top bar, it was actually only 17:45 in the evening. Several customers witnessed it, visibly confirmed he was totally out of order and left with me. I was somewhat embarrassed but mainly didn't feel he represented the hotel well, being a General Manager myself of a customer orientated company I thought it was best mentioned to management. I approached the reception desk and asked for a manager, there wasn't one around so the girl asked what my issue was. I informed her I had issue with one of the staff being rude and embarrassing me somewhat and she grabbed a piece of paper (good sign) and proceeded to ask what he looked like, I replied the older gentleman with grey hair, on hearing this she put the paper away and told me he was the bar manager and that maybe I had misunderstood. I informed her that there was no misunderstanding he just didn't want to make a mojito and that he was rude, she responded "he must be having a bad day", I basically left it at this point simply saying its not good enough is it and she just nodded. The 3rd evidence this hotel does not care for customer feedback.
4) A bit trivial but would it really be too much trouble to have some Irons around for customer use?

The review aside and as mentioned above Pollensa as a destination is fabulous, the town is a perfect base to explore the island and the restaurants at the top end of town offer superb food and amazing views of the bay etc.

The biggest frustration about the Pollensa Park Hotel is that it's small tweaks that would make a huge difference; not costly ones. They can obviously manage, the cleaning team are testament to this and do a fantastic job. Simply train the frontline staff to put their customers first regardless of the day they are personally having and increase the breakfast and coffee quality (only slightly) and reviews like this would easily be 4 out of 5. Sadly my guess is they won't listen.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank James B
Joan S, Director General at FERGUS Style Pollensa Park SPA, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear James B

We thank you for your extended review and we want to apologize for all the inconveniencies you had in your stay with us.
Perhaps you don’t know that since the first of March the hotel is managed by Fergus Hotels. It takes some time to know exactly how everything and everyone works. And after that period, we are introducing changes. Some of them are big ones, as the new General Manager, myself, the new Kitchen Chef or the new Front Office Manager, all of them from the 9th of June. And some of them, as you say, small tweaks that make a huge difference.
We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and to change your opinion about our hotel.

Have a lovely summer

Yours sincerely
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a very good hotel. I have stayed in worse 4 star hotels. We were B&B but majority were all inclusive. Cannot comment on food other than breakfast which was very good. Usual hot and cold selection. Fresh bread, cereals, fruit, full English. Dining room busy but no great waiting times and very nicely furnished. Looks recently refurb.

PLUS POINTS
Fantastic view on NE side higher floors. We were in 805. Lovely balcony big enough for 4.
Clean room and lovely tiled refurbished en suite. Plenty of clean towels.
Comfy bed
TV had BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, ITV4, Sky News, Disney channel.
Free wi fi throughout. Speed deteriorated in day but varied from 5meg download first thing to 0.2 meg tea time. Streaming video ok in mornings. Ok for slow downloads.
Clean pool and garden area. Plenty of sun beds all times of day.
Polite staff
2 mins to lovely beach

MINUS POINTS
15/20 mins walk to Marina and main prom.
Loud Music from bars opposite till midnight.
Mediocre evening entertainment.

Altogether good value for money with lots going for it.

Room Tip: High room on NE side for views.
5 Thank Stevegould9
Dear Stevegould9

Thank you very much for such a great Review!
We are glad we´ve reached your expectations, sorry if entertainment didn’t make you happy.
We are working on that issue to make all guests happy.
We do hope to welcome you very soon for you to enjoy all the improvements
Have a Lovely summer

Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Have been going to Puerto Pollensa for many years, and stayed in the Miramar on many occasions, the Sis Pins and the Duva, we opted to book a holiday in the Pollensa Park Hotel & Spa on an all inclusive basis. The reason being my wife spoke to a lady who was staying there last October when we were staying at the Miramar and said it was really good and the food was excellent. That was before Fergus Hotels took over.
What a mistake.
Firstly let me say that the Hotel itself is ok, clean and well layed out, large outdoor pool, great for kids and excellent for those who are disabled. The animacion team worked their butts off and most of the staff were pleasant and friendly. Special thanks to Ariadna who helped us with our room problem. That was the start of what you could say, a bad experience. Checked in at 13:15 by 13:45 had finally settled into our third room. We had booked a sea view room but were allocated a room on the 3rd floor and were looking onto a side street, no sea view. We were then given the key to another room on the same side but on floor eight, you could see the Marina but also the side street, no sun, very dull and the wind would have cut you in two. So we were given the option of paying a supplement of €5 per day for a pool and sea view room on the 8th floor room No.840 this we duly accepted.
FOOD : What a disaster. would just like to reiterate what some of the other reviewers have stated.
Breakfast: Cornflakes you can only describe as pressed sawdust, scrambled egg made from powdered egg, processed or reconstituted meat for bacon (never came or been near a pig) no omelettes, no crepes, sausages? don't no what they were made from, thank goodness for fried or boiled eggs.
Orange juice undrinkable, made from powder, white coffee undrinkable ( a tip, use black coffee and add milk ) Queuing up to make toast having to put bread through the toaster two or three times.
Lunch: To be fair sometimes not too bad but everything was tasteless and bland. On one occasion there was supposed to be beef burgers, on looking at them being cooked the meat actually looked grey. If you are a salad eater ok you can get by.
Evening Meal: Consists on 1 meat, 1 fish and 1 Pasts dish, 1 choice of vegetable excluding potatoes which were inedible lying in oil and hard. The pasta had 1 sauce each night very this and tasteless, and never a carvery. the list is endless.
We complained to our Jet2 rep and filled out an official complaints form, she also advised us to complain directly to the hotel management direct. This we did.
Response:
Explained concerns about the food and were told that there was a problem with the staff and suppliers and this would be sorted out in a couple of weeks and were told that that unfortunately we would not see any improvements. When Fergus took over they must have sent out Tenders for the catering contract and it is obviously clear that they opted for the very cheapest. We responded by saying it was not the staff but the poor quality of food, the staff can only cook with what they are given. You have also to pay for bottled water, half the normal price but still twice as dear as supermarket prices, When you ask for a coffee at the pool bar you are told you are all inclusive you have to use the machine with a polystyrene cup. The manager said no you can get any coffee from the bar service. (try it). Let's face it you are there for a week, 10 days or maybe a fortnight they are giving everyone the same excuse. they have your money and that's all they are caring about.
If you are going on holiday in the near future and are not happy with the service complain directly to the management, a lot of people moan but do nothing about it and nothing gets done.
On a last note, you have to pay for the spa and indoor pool €5 for slippers,€2 for a bathing cap €2 for a towel plus €10 returnable deposit for each towel.
Never again will we return to this hotel.
I have noticed that the management have never replied and gave an explanation to any of the problems and comments made by any of the clients. This just shows you the contempt they have for you as a holiday maker.

Room Tip: Pool and sea view room above the sixth floor
7 Thank Raymond M
Joan S, Director General at FERGUS Style Pollensa Park SPA, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Raymond M

Thank you for your comments, we are very sorry the Restaurant did not meet your expectations, we have improved on that matter, and we really apologize about that and has spoilt all your holiday.
We allocate guests according to the Booking, we have different Rooms at the FERGUS Pollensa Park & Spa, and any upgrade is under charge.
The Spa has Rules that need to be followed, as they are for a reason, and for health and safety reasons you need to were flip flops and a cap, if guest don´t have them, we give the opportunity at the Spa to purchase them.
We will really like to ask you to give us a second opportunity because we are sure that we can make you enjoy a fantastic holiday in the future,

Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Returned on the 6th June after a 5 night stay. If you have children you want entertaining day and night this is the holiday for you! We are middle aged and wanted some adult entertainment in the evening and there wasn't any. One night we had a 'quiz' where the Animacion Team mimed the answers and on another we had 'bingo' where they morphed themselves into the numbers! One night they ran around daubing us all with paint of some sort? Not sure what that was about? Great for the kids who thoroughly enjoyed it and ran amok everywhere. Sadly even when the professional acts were on. I felt so sorry for the acts as they were shown no respect whatsoever! Kids ran around them, people walked across them, they were fighting a losing battle!
Maybe if it was advertised what sort of act was on - the people who obviously weren't interested would have a choice to do something else? It would be nice if the kids were kept off of the dance floor after 9.30pm -maybe they could go to another venue in the hotel, which is massive, to be entertained?
It is a great value holiday, no arguing about that - just probably not for middle aged couples? It is the third time I've been to Pollensa Park and it is a shame because it was the evening entertainment that kept me coming back. Fortunately across the road from the hotel there are several bars that do offer adult entertainment which saw many escape-es from Pollensa Park!

Room Tip: Been in several rooms over the years - I have found them all to be fine. The second floor is standar...
2 Thank pauline_fox
Dear pauline_fox

FERGUS Pollensa Park & Spa team want to thank you for the time spent reviewing our Hotel,
We are sorry you felt uncomfortable with our entertainment team, they work very hard to make every single guest happy, and we are sorry you weren’t.
We will note down your comments and will do our best to improve on that matter and we wish to welcome you very soon.

Kind Regards
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights from the 23rd - 30th May with my family on an all inclusive basis. The hotel was very clean as were the rooms which had a safe to use, but you have to pay extra for use of the safe a couple of euros a day plus a deposit. The bathroom had a hair dryer for use too. The hotel itself is very nice it's located in a great spot for the beach and just a short walk to local amenities. The reception staff were very welcoming and helpfull and the restaurant and bar staff were equally as friendly. The spa was lovely I highly recommend a visit if you have time very relaxing! The entertainment team, Mauro, Virginia and Benji were fantastic and always informed us as to what was going on throughout the day and just really good fun!! The food unfortunately wasn't great we ate out a couple of times! There are two pools a baby pool and a main larger pool which is quite big, plenty of sun beds and a pool side bar. There was building work going on in a street next to the hotel which was annoying and noisy at times especially when your sat relaxing by the pool, but other than that I would recommend the hotel and enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jane F
Dear Jane F

We want to thank you for the time spend reviewing our Hotel, we are very happy and satisfied that we met your expectations, and we will let all Staff, and the Spa professionals about the level of satisfaction you have.
This helps us to find extra motivation to continue to please all guest at the same level as you.
Hope to welcome you very soon.

Yours sincerely...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just returned from 7 night stay in Pollensa Park. The hotel is large with good facilities including the spa which was very relaxing when the weather was poor. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room was a bit basic but a good size however the view from our balcony was the roof of the dining room and air conditioning unit. The location of the hotel was excellent only 2 minute walk to the beach and ten minute walk to the resort centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors and be aware sound proofing pretty poor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsO071
Dear MrsO071

To begin with, thank you for your time writing this comment.
I am very glad to see that you enjoyed our hotel and our location, it is wonderful.
Sorry your room did not meet your expectations, but we allocate guests according to the booking.
Finally, thank you again for the comment about staff, I will congratulate them, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at the Pollensa Park Hotel from the 15th May until the 22nd May 2014. The Hotel Staff, without exception, were friendly, courteous and extremely. The Hotel was spotlessly clean in all areas and the food was excellent. We had a wonderful holiday and look forward to a revisit in May 2015. Highly recommended for a fabulous "all inclusive" holiday

Room Tip: 7th or 8th floor Pool & sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Arnold L
Dear Arnold L

Thank you very much for choosing the Fergus Pollensa Park for this year and next year too! We really appreciate your comments and we will love to welcome you again in 2015.
Have a great summer