“Mixed feelings on Villa Concha”

Hoposa Hotel & Apartments Villaconcha
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Hi All,
just got back from 2 weeks at Villa Concha and have to report mixed feelings on our stay there. I've been following these reviews from December and have seen the hotel slip from 8th to its current 14th position, and can appreciate why.

I completely agree with previous comments on the sunbed situation - way too close, all reserved by stupid o'clock in the morning but abandoned for hours on end. My husband says the management should leave tickets on these beds and if they're undisturbed within the next hour then chuck them off. (Unfortunately we found the same selfish behaviour on the glass bottomed boat - the best seats bagsied with towels and inflatables.) Irritating! And I suppose it encourages people who wouldn't normally dream of doing it to actually start doing it just to get a sunbed (we DIDN'T by the way, honest)

My disappointments were with:
- the lack of things for children over the age of 8. A family orientated hotel should consider the needs of older children too. The mini disco is only for tiddlers, and there is a solitary pool table which is often very busy and at 2 euros a game must be a nice little earner. The website states "OUR ENTERTAINER TEAM does activities for our kids and adults during all day" which is just not true.
- the new pool at the back of the hotel needs a definite re-think. 2 or 3 swimmers a day does not warrant the waste of such a resource. Why not open it up in the afternoons for scuba sessions/inflatables/swimming lessons/water polo?? Our children (10 and 12) would really have appreciated some age appropriate organised activity. In high season this pool needs to be used more effectively.
- the evening entertainment programme doesn't really work - except for Mariano the guitarist who is simply EXCELLENT. The Blues Brothers were quite funny but the solo singers and the flamenco dancers were just poor.
- the rooms are in quite urgent need of a spruce up. Ours (Room 216) had no ventilation in the bathroom hence black mould on the ceiling; cracked tiles; peeling wardrobe doors; dodgy kitchen cupboards and patio door. A brush would have been useful for the 4 days of the week when the cleaners aren't in.
- the free wifi is rubbish
- the meals get a little samey after a few days and would benefit from the occasional theme day just to vary it for those on half board. The BBQ on Fridays was nice for a change (hint: make friends with Luiz the chef)
- the cleaning was basic, lots of bleach fumes but a quick inspection of lamps, corners, underside of bathroom bits etc showed another story.

On the plus side, we appreciated the air conditioning; the hardworking staff (David, Roberto, Alana, Jemima, Daniel, Luiz and co); the sheer amount of food presented morning and night; the free gym; the pleasant situation of the hotel and its handiness for the beach, buses, supermarket, etc.

So if you have small children, just want to sunbathe by the pool all day, don't mind a dawn raid down to the sunbeds, and want your meals on-site too then the Villa Concha is fine. If your children are over 8 years old however this probably isn't the place for you.

We had a good holiday - walked, used the buses, visited the markets, went to the amazing La Patrona festival in Pollenca, saw the Pirates show in Magaluf with No Frills Excursions, went on the pedalos and the inflatable water park thingy, and our children really enjoyed their 2 hour horse ride up a mountain with Ranxo ses Roques. I chose this hotel based on previous reviews and hoping it would be similar to the Kefalos Beach Village in Paphos, but sadly not. PP is a lovely resort but if we went again we wouldn't return to Villa Concha.

Room Tip: Email ahead and request a high, quiet room away from the bar area
5  Thank Clarabelle999
HOPOSAHOTELS, Public Relations Manager at Hoposa Hotel & Apartments Villaconcha, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest,

thanks a lot for taking the time to write this explicit review about our establishment. It is always important and interesting for us to know more about the opinions and experiences they have made with us.
For your information our cleaning staff cleans all apartments and studios three times a week. Our animation team takes care of all children, but the activities of course depend sometimes of the average age they have. We count with three pools for kids and therefore the new 25m pool is for people who like to swim.
But we are glad to read, that you "had a good holiday" and hope to see you soon back in one of our establishments in Puerto Pollensa.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Hoposa Hotel & Apartments Villaconcha

Reviewed 19 August 2014

First I must clarify my motivations and the situation that put us in Villa concha. We went on the 8th of August after going to the travel agency on the 6th, so it was a vacation pretty much on a whim. There wasn´t anything to choose from so we decided to accept the offer of ´´El corte ingles´´ travel agency. We are a married couple in our early fifties. I love to fish and we both like driving around to see the sights, so we rarely used anything in the hotel except for the spa. The hotel is situated about 500 meters from the beach which kept the road noise from being a factor. It is a hotel that caters to people with children. They have three pools that are no more than knee deep. If i was a kid I imagine I would have enjoyed the slides and kiddy pool. There was another adult pool but with an extra 4 euro an hour charge. We tried the spa which costs 6 euros per person for the whole day. We paid our 12 euros only to find that some of the spa´s jets didn´t work, or the humidity sauna and one of the over head waterfall massage jets. The water was neither cold or hot in either of the cold and ´´supposedly hot´´ spa. Basically it was not in conditions to rent. The gym was free of charge and was very well equipped and clean.
They did have a service attendant available wearing a red cross type uniform. He was very helpful as were most of the employees throughout the hotel.
The breakfast was okay. There were a few drawbacks in the freshness of some of the fruit like the watermelon. Again i can´t reiterate the servitud given by the workers in the cafeteria.
The guy doing the eggs and bacon was a joy to talk to. He also did the skillet during dinner also.
An overview of the staff gives the hotel a 4 star feel, but I gave it three stars because our room was set up by a person without vision. There were no reading lights on the bed. The air conditioner rattled when in operation. I fixed that problem by jamming maps of Mallorca between the plastic plate covering and the unit. Okay, maybe there are other rooms that were in better condition, but my 3 stars still stands. There were some food issues that dragged it down to 3 stars also. Some of the desserts were clearly pre-frozen. Some were presented with the outside luke warm and the inside still very cold, rendering the dessert undesirable.
The dinner hours were a big drawback also. From 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. It obviously catered to northern europeans and not anyone used to late dinners like we are in Spain. Coming from Barcelona left us flipping out at how everything is geared towards everyone except us spainards. It would have been nice to see some catalan-spanish cuisine at the forefront, but then when we did our visits around the island we realized that in some places they only speak German with a little spanish peppered in there for good measure.
The hotel was too expensive for what we got which leads me to the next phase of my review. I don´t smoke or drink, I fish and snorkel. The hotel doesn´t have anything to do with the fact that every stretch of beach is covered with boats going to and fro with jet skiis tearing up any and all chances of finding a sense of solitude.
I will never return to Mallorca(baleares) during the tourist season. It´s pretty but august makes the place a misery, and may I add that applies to the whole island!! Port de Pollença is a neat place except for the reason for me being there which is fishing and snorkeling. I did some good snorkeling but always had the the thought that I could be chppoed up like hamburger at any minute. For me, despite the good things about Villa concha, will most undoubtedly never return to the baleares. That´s my deal, and I feel it´s important that people know things about going there. Villa concha is great for couples with kids. It´s also real good for people who like to ride bikes into the mountains seeing they have a bike rental place incorporated in the hotel. The bikes are not your average bikes, but high quality ones for the serious biking enthusiasts.
Another point I might add about the clients it seemed to attracts: I saw maybe one person smoking there. I like that. I hate tobacco with a passion!!
And the last point I may add is the fact that we were the few people without kids. There is another affiliated hotel just across the street run by Villa concha called ´´Montelino´´. We went by there a few times. Too quiet. Nice, but very boring without the littles kids running amuck. It actually became a great selling point to have the kids there. They made the place vibrant and fun. The nightly entertainment was also geared for families. It was a great experience but it still needs some work. The first thing they´ll have to do is put tourist limits on the island. Oh my word, what a ecolgical disaster Mallorca has become with so many people clammering all over it. I do take my hat off to all the staff. They were quality people that were well chosen. Maybe one time when someone was filling in for my skillet man did I see someone not qualified for their job. That´s not an issue. Congrats to to the staff for their professional service and kindness. Ron from Barcelona

Room Tip: Get something on the second floor to have a view of what´s outside. The view is better the higher yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ron R
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We recently enjoyed a Wonderful Holiday at Villa Concha.. Yes the rooms are dated, but the beds are among The most comfortable We've slept in, in any Hotel (dbl beds are actually 2 singles pushed together, but are very comfortable, as are the two single sofa beds which Our children slept on in the living room) The staff are extremely customer focused+nothing was a problem.. A particular mention to the night receptionist Juan Ramon who was constantly joking+friendly, also to Alanna, Juan+David in the bar, They clearly work very hard, to be fair to the other staff though they are all so pleasant+helpful, particularly on reception....The public areas are newly renovated+to a very nice standard, if the rooms are renovated to the same standard then this really will be a perfect Family hotel.. The lifeguards were again very customer focused+ were on duty constantly+kept the pool area very clean..(there were a cpl of days however where people had obviously been to the beach+brought sand into the pool though) We were half board, We found breakfast to be excellent, Jésus on the hot counter had a smile for everyone..Dinner was not so good, We did eat in some nights but We found the selection very limited+as We don't eat meat We were quite restricted when it came to hot food.. Having said this, there are so many very good restaurants in Puerto Pollença it would be a shame to eat at the hotel every night.... While it's no 5 star property, the hotel has so much going for it, it seems to attract many like minded people who want to enjoy the Beauty of Pollença but don't want to rent a private apartment, Our Children had an absolutely fantastic Holiday, there were so many friendly children of all ages, with whom they made great holiday friendships.. Besides the plentiful choice of pools,there is a small area for playing football which Our son was thrilled to have.. The children also loved Marga+Lydia, the animation team, they were great with them....One big negative for Us was the tiny number of way too big parasols around the pool, a larger number of smaller parasols would make much more sense!!!! Overall We had a wonderful holiday+plan on returning, renovated rooms would really be the icing on the cake at this already Fantastic hotel.... Thank You Hoposa....

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank boyle4
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We only stayed at Villa Concha one night in August, so this review is based on first impressions. We had booked for a 5 night stay in a studio with balcony, but Travel Republic had completely messed up our booking, and we arrived at 3am in the morning only to find that Travel Republic had not reserved our room, even though all our paperwork from them had confirmed our stay there. The hotel was full, but the very kind evening receptionist found us a room to stay for a few hours and we had to leave at breakfast time. Tip, do not book your holiday with Travel Republic! In the short time we had there, our impression was that the outdoor facilities were fabulous. Lovely pools, designated training/fitness pool. Our room was tired and old fashioned but the bed was comfortable with nice sheets and plenty luxurious white fluffy towels. Good balcony with chairs overlooking the pool. Shame travel republic messed up our planned holiday. We found out they had booked us into the Pollensa Park but had omitted to tell us!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine C
HOPOSAHOTELS, Guest Relations Manager at Hoposa Hotel & Apartments Villaconcha, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Christine,

thank you very much for this review of our hotel Villaconcha. We always appreciate it, to hear about the experiences our guests made with us. We are sorry for these inconvienience, but we are glad that we could help you. However we hope you had a nice stay in Puerto Pollensa and would like to welcome you once in our establishment for a few more days.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just back from a weeks family at Villaconcha. We arrived early morning, to a very friendly welcome and the holiday started from there.

Very customer focussed staff, and great facilities. Our 7 year old really enjoyed the pools, that made our holiday so much easier :-).

10 minutes walk into town, and 2 minutes from the beach.

Room Tip: Great for families
2  Thank Josepie101
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We got back last week after a lovely 7 days staying at Montelin across from Villa Concha. Our apartment was clean, modern and fairly quiet although we could hear the evening entertainment over the road with our windows open. We had full use of Villa Concha pools and ate there as we were half board but the accommodation at Montelin is definitely a better standard. We had a free safe and air con, hair dryer, fridge, microwave and hob, flat screen TV with a number of UK channels, walk in shower and balcony overlooking a quiet pool. The only negatives would be the fact our 2 year old could open the front door and balcony door, lack of storage/wardrobe space, intermittent wi-fi and that we didn't really notice if cleaners had been in.

Overall we had use of 6 pools - the quiet one at Montelin, 2 big pools, a baby pool, the slide pool and a private one near the gym, like a lanes pool you get in leisure centres but for this there was a charge. Didn't use the spa but apparently there is one too.

Food was fine for a week. Plentiful for breakfast - fruit, yoghurt, omelettes, egg and bacon, beans, sausages, pastries, juices etc. Evening meals - meat, fish, veg, lovely salads, pizza, chips, BBQ one night, nice puds! It was enough for us.

Staff were lovely and friendly and the complex was spotless. Lifeguards check the pool water twice a day and are always litter picking. We had no trouble getting sun beds round the pools even during the busy school hols but we were up by 8am with our little one.

Evening entertainment was limited. Mini disco was great for our toddler but only lasted half an hour and we weren't bothered about singers or flamenco dancers. This is an area that could be improved as is facilities for older kids as apart from the pool table there wasn't much to occupy them. The bouncy castle is a bonus but is only up at limited times.

Puerto de Pollensa is pretty with a lovely gently shelving beach literally 5 minutes away, nice bars and restaurants and a picturesque marina. Again the whole resort was spotless. The supermarket at the end of the road was cheap and handy for daily supplies.

Overall for a 2 hour flight from Gatwick and a 50 minute transfer, beautiful weather, a clean and tidy complex, a pretty and friendly resort and a lovely apartment, we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stay at Montelin rather than Villa Concha. It's over the road but quieter at night and brand new...
1  Thank nikjcook
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just returned from Villa Concha with my wife and 2 children. We had a fantastic holiday in a truly beautiful resort. I will keep it short and to the point. The Villa Concha is. . . .
* Is very clean. I've never seen a team that clean and maintain so often. The pool water is checked 4 to 5 times a day. It has a robot hoover which cleans the bottom a few times a week. The buildings are spotless. The gym is awesome and looks brand new ( and its FREE ). The spa and its facilities and spotless and brand new.

* The staff. Polite,well mannered,spotless in appearance and very knowledgeable. Nothing is too much trouble.

* The rooms. Perfect clean and enough for what its used for. Dont get me wrong,you wont be cooking 3 course meals in there but then again you ARE on holiday and the choice of restaurants is obscene. Our room had the very best mattresses ive ever experienced on holiday which appeared to be brand new. Cleaners came every other day.

* The food. Top notch. The breakfast is fresh and made in front of you,the snack menu would put many UK restaurants to shame. Fresh and tasty and plenty of it.

* Location. Stunning.

* Overall. Clean,well maintained,safe,child and family friendly,perfectly located. Loved every minute.

Room Tip: I hear most rooms are getting a make over in the next few months,so i would imagine next year will b...
2  Thank am72jam2016