“Single-room shame”

Hoposa Pollentia Hotel
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I booked this hotel because, after a dire British summer, it seemed to offer a means to get some much-needed sun at a competitive price. It was obvious from reading its own blurb and the reviews of others that it was a place used by the big package holiday groups, situated in a resort, rather than a town. But as long as the sun was shining nothing else mattered, I thought.
I made my reservation through a well-known website for booking rooms late and was surprised to see that the room offered, for an unbeatable €38 per night, had a sea view. But there it was in black and white. I even added, in the notes on the booking form, that I was hoping for a sea view as per the description. Once I arrived, however, I fell back to earth. No sea view. When I enquired I was given the familiar story for single travellers, that the individuales are all at the back (my note, which had obviously been ignored, drew a blank). Having journeyed extensively around Spain, I would have expected this outcome. But since I had been led to believe otherwise, I felt deceived. The room was the size of a prison cell: bed with noisy springs, a low armchair whose legs were not of equal length and a desk. The bathroom was tiny, requiring a two-step manoeuvre to enter, with the toilet so close to the wall that you needed to sit on it sideways. The view took in the back yard and, to the right, the Pollenca Park, which, with a lick of grey paint, would be indistinguishable from one of Britain’s finest inner-city council blocks.
As far as noise was concerned there is some sort of air conditioning machine or possibly a large generator at the back which makes the thin walls vibrate. But sleep was possible using the Travis Perkins workmen’s earplugs that are ever-present in my travel kit.
Having said all that, I don't really want to give the place a hard time. All hotels offer up pictures of their best rooms for the websites: the wide open spaces and the beautiful Mediterranean outside. But I suppose I'm just offering up some advice for any kindred-spirit single travellers. Ignore the pics on the website and take a look at what you get.
But the hotel is very well run. By and large, the staff, all uniformed and English-speaking, were polite, professional and conscientious and it was clear that some of the guests, possibly from repeat visits, had a good relationship with them. I heard no complaints from other guests. You might find the barman a bit smarmy, especially if you want to talk to him in your imperfect but perfectly understandable Spanish. One night he charged me €3.50 for a small beer and two nights later it had changed to €2.35. It's not really the kind of discrepancy that can occur accidentally, for a barman, and it rather soured the rest of the stay.
But on the whole I got what I paid for. The receptionist when I arrived kindly found me chair so that I could actually sit at the desk in my room, and had it delivered the next morning. Though the décor in the room was dated, it was kept immaculately clean. The hotel itself is separated from the beach by a road, though set back far enough for it not to be too intrusive, about 15 minutes walk from the “centre” of the resort, which makes for a much more relaxed location. The rooms at the front must have really good, unhindered views (though beware that road).
Of course, it depends largely on what your idea of a holiday is. If all you want, literally, is beach and bars then Puerto Pollensa will be worth a visit. If you want anything other than those things then you might want to think again. There are bus stops 20m from the hotel but Pollensa and Alcudia (which has an interesting excavated Roman settlement), the nearest towns, won't keep you occupied for more than a few hours each. Lluc is worth a visit but buses are limited. Palma is over an hour away.
I'm guessing that a lot of the people who were there had been there before and will go again. I can't blame them since the hotel clearly does its best to give them what they want and if they get a room with enough space to swing a cat then all would be well. Equally, I won't be returning. I knew there wasn’t going to be much to see in Puerto Pollensa so I was relying on having a comfortable room to retreat to when required. While the hotel as whole may be worth its three stars, you couldn’t seriously put that rating on the room I had.

Places to go: La Goleta and Los Faroles served excellent food; Cafe 1919 (inside) serves coffee the way it's served in the more traditional joints of Barcelona and Madrid, and Neptune does a good line in "beer and tapas" if you're fed up with all those eateries trying to serve up some candle-lit Isla Bonita paradise. Places to avoid: these are mostly obvious.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
12  Thank Plasticbackpacker

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Staff were lovely but the food was excrutriatingly bad. Even the breakfast was not nice: scrambled egg floating in yellow water or grease. All "cooked breakfast" was stone cold. Although we had paid for food at the hotel, we had to go out to restaurants every night. I took my 85 year old mother for a spot of sunshine and we were given a double bed for 2 nights until they moved us onto a room with twin beds. Hotel was clean although very basic (old furniture, no cushions on balconies, no parasols), bed clothes and towels changed daily. It was just the food that let the whole holiday down. Beware: the picture of the hotel does not reveal that there is a main road between the hotel and beach. Area was lovely but I would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PatKohn
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The Pollentia Hotel was not our first choice hotel, as we had decided, based upon reviews, to try and stay at the Miramar but it was fully booked for our planned holiday dates. The Pollentia Hotel has had a number of mixed reviews mostly concerning the rooms and food standard so we went partly forewarned but with a fairly open mind.
LOCATION: Close to beach but separated by a main road that might be an issue if you are a light sleeper but the location is generally fairly quiet compared to being nearer to the resort centre. Excellent views from from front porch veranda. Sun beds to front of hotel in own grounds (garden & patio)
MAIN BUILDING : Excellent public rooms & bar. Light and airy. Plenty of comfortable seating.
FOOD: Excellent choice of 4/5 main hot dishes plus excellent choice of salad ingredients.The quality of cooked food was probably fair to good depending upon what you are used to but there was always at least one/two hot dishes that suited us just fine and you still had the excellent salad opportunity as an alternative main course or starter. Sweet choice excellent but might have looked better than some tasted. Some nights had cheese selection and there was always a soup.The bottom line is that unless you have a nitpicking problem you WILL have something nice to eat and you definately will not starve. Good choice at breakfast as well. Hot items, cold meats, cheese, yogs, fruit and cereals Etc.
STAFF: Overall, a high standard throughout the hotel with excellent room cleaning service.There were plenty of hugs and kisses in evidence between regular visitors and staff for hotel patrons just arriving or leaving. We met one couple on 17th. yearly visit. They come back as know what to expect, like the staff and the devil you know etc
BEDROOMS : Basically, ( Based on room 214) fairly basic, not too disimilar to some Greek appartments I have stayed in. The beds are firm, as others have described but that suited us.
Bathroom had a bidet which was useful but made space cramped. You could sit on the toilet and use the hand basin at the same time if you were keen. We fell into the trap of forgetting to aim for a top floor room so as to avoid noisy neighbours above so had two nights poor sleep until action taken by tour rep that we happened to bump into. Not sure who was up there but playing musical beds or chair scraping at 3.00am (Possibly a toddler or older person with an issue) was unbelievably loud due to tiled floors that can be an issue in Spanish & Greek establishments. The other five nights were very quiet.
ENTERTAINMENT: Not normally our thing but combination of musical acts either at the Pollentia or sister hotel was actually very good and included tribute acts such as Abba & Rod SStewart Etc.
THINGS TO DO : When you have walked the pine walk and swam enough, visit the other town markets, take the ferry to Formentor and spend the day there swimming Etc. Explore other venues by bus and if you can afford 100 Euros for Two, have a trip on "Tudor Dawn". Check their web site for details.
Port de Pollenca is a lovelly resort but it is about 90 minutes from Palma airport if transferring by coach. It was nearly two hours on our return due to slow pick up from other hotels. If I was to go again I would either opt for a taxi transfer or stop for two weeks to minimise the airport hassles and transfer times. On our return we were picked up at 4.30pm and boarded our aircraft, on time, at 8.20pm. The almost 4 hours was travelling to the airport, queing at check in and security with just time for a quick bathroon visit and straight through to the departure gate. No time to shop or obtain refreshment.

Room Tip: Full sea view, not side or rear.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Puerto Pollensa is a lovely place to visit - lovely sandy beach, cafe bars, marina, quiet and friendly. Usually my husband and I opt for 4* or above but took a chance on the Pollentia. The location is excellent - just across from the beach and a short walk from bars, etc. The staff are excellent and the food is very nice. But unfortunately the room was in desperate need of an update. The twin beds were uncomfortable. The shower was a very old, white plastic handheld one above the bath. The furniture was old and had badly fitting drawers. We were given a side room with no balcony and the view was awful - looked out over tatty buildings. So we won't go 3* again. Such a shame as everyone we spoke to returns to Puerto Pollensa year after year - one couple were on their 18th year at this hotel! There was no pool but use of the the sister hotel pool was available. 18 euros for the safe was a bit expensive and also it cost 11 euros a day for the sunbeds/parasol on the beach.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony and get confirmation as we heard some people who did not get what they...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzecorn
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed for a week half board. Buffet food choice was good, staff excellent and views from both balcony and frint of hotel beautiful. Will be back.

Room Tip: sea view only choice
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denis_McQuade
Reviewed 5 September 2011

An amazing hotel. Staff very polite and friendly, great setting, facing the long beach. Food lovely and lots of choice. Only problem really was that we booked a seaview room and ended up with a corner room facing a yellow building. If you looked to the far right you could see electricity things and lots of grass, Look to the far right, (you have to lean over the balcony) you can see the sea. Not very impressed but didn't complain because they would probably say we did have a seaview. Not a very good seaview though. If you want a proper seaview, then book full seaview room! Overall a great little hotel!

Room Tip: make sure to book a full seaview room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank HolidayHun22
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Just returned from a weeks stay and can't recommend this hotel highly enough!!
Our transfer from the airport was a bit of a nightmare and we arrived too late for dinner, the staff at the hotel were very welcoming and after settling into our rooms we were served drinks, salads and fresh fruit in the comfy reception/bar area. This was very welcome after a long journey. The hotel is perfectly positioned directly accross from the beach in the quieter end of the Pine Walk which was ideal for us. There is a large terrace with comfy seats where you can sit and watch the world go by (feels like a different era sitting there just perfect) and during the day the lower bar area has outdoor seating where you can have snacks/drinks. Breakfast and dinner are buffet style and we enjoyed the variety of each meal throughout our stay with helpful and friendly restuarant staff. The bedrooms are fairly basic but comfortable and spotlessly cleaned every day with all you need in way of storage, showering/bathing and the most important of all air conditioning. We arrived to temperatures in the 30's with high humidity every day. A leisurely stroll along the Pine Walk (approx 15/20min in the heat) takes you into the busier Marina area where there are shops, bars, restaurants etc and a lovely walk as it takes you along the beachfront. If your more energetic you can hire bikes.
As we had an evening flight and had to be checked out by 11:30am we had asked if we could keep one of our rooms on; this is not necessary as the Hotel keep a room free for such instances either in the Pollentia or the sister Uyal Hotel next door and its a complimentary service to their guests. This was another welcome touch and allowed us extra time on the beach!!
We visited Pollensa which is beautifully quaint with narrow streets and also went to the market in Alcudia, both visited using the public buses which run regularly from outside the Hotel. Getting the bus back from Alcudia is a bit of a free-for-all as its very busy. There was also a market in Puerto Pollensa on Wednesdays a few streets back off the main marina area, again very busy but worth a look. We had a fantastic time which flew by making us wish that we had booked for two weeks.

Room Tip: book a room with a sea-view and balcony as you get the heat in the morning and a lovely breeze late...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family