“perfect for bicycle holiday, friendly service, great food and good rooms”

Hoposa Pollentia Hotel
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Leuven, Belgium
“perfect for bicycle holiday, friendly service, great food and good rooms”
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We went early September. We cuold hire really good bikes (Huerzeler bike store) within the hotel grounds. Reasonably priced and well maintained. Friendly service too.
Upon arrival we were allowed to change our room to a room with sea view (much appreciated) without extra costs. We were quite a long way from the pool so really quiet and calm (excellent). The food (breakfast and diner) was very good, fresh, varied and an enormous choice. No long waiting cues and anyone to fault this totally has to be a grumpy bore. We skipped the poolfacilities and also the beach facilities simply because it's not our thing. We explored the surrounding villages by bike and were pleasantly surprised that the island is really well adapted for cyclists. Drivers also tend to give right of way on the many roundabouts and on the whole good roads for cyclists.
On the whole we like it so much we already booked a week in May of this year (hopefully to repeat this pleasant experience). We are not in the habit of going over and over to the same place so this really means we absolutely liked it a lot and would recommend it 100%. Also the people in the hotel were very helpfull and friendly.
The gardens were well maintained and lovely.
On the whole the place gave also a very secure feeling.
Ok the road in front of the hotel is a busy one. But if you pay the same attention you would to traffic at home there's no problem.
And yes the traffic starts early in the morning but that way you don't sleep away half of the lovely time you could be having there.
I hope this comment has been helpful for other people in their late forties thinking about cycling in Mallorca and has convinced them that there's more to do than just lay on the beach in Mallorca. Have fun.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NiqueDeKelver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
armley
Reviewed 20 October 2010

How I sympathise with the previous reviewer. I stayed here a while ago with another singleton and both rooms overlooked scrap land at the back and the service areas. The biting insects in the room - despite it being late in the year - resulted in miserable sleepless nights. We ate out most evenings because the food was not great, although plentiful, and the practice of keeping the same seats at dinner was irksome. As the holiday was a cheapie I didn't expect luxury, but a good night's sleep is a basic requirement.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank zzloxley
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I chose the hotel for its location which is right on the beach. However my experience was poor because I was alone in a single room at the back of the hotel. This agency does not give you the opportunity to book a sea view room as a single and when I rang the hotel to try to upgrade they told me that there was absolutely no possibility without my paying effectively more than double my online booking cost. The staff told me that they have constant problems on this subject with Alpharooms clients.

Its either brilliant or poor depending on your room location. The front rooms have beach/coast and sunrise and balconies. It makes a huge difference. At the back its not a mountain view - its a backyard view, with regular visits by delivery vehicles and staff access. Every morning by 0700 my room was filled with kitchen smells. I was regularly woken throughout the night and early in the morning by noisy service activity outside. Had I been able to keep the window closed the problem would have been eased, but the air conditioning was non-functional. The first few days (70s outside) it was only blowing heated air. Last few days (reaching 80) the heat was turned off, but no cooling took place. Iasked repeatedly for a solution. Apparently all the back rooms were the same and the air con is uselessly inflexible. The back of the hotel faces west, so heats up incredibly throughout the afternoon and stays hot until the early hours of the morning.

There are mosquitos and no way of excuding them because of the a/c situation so I have come home with many itchy bites.

My room was very small and spartan - it felt like a nun's cell. The bathroom was so 'compact' that the door hit the loo as you entered and I had to manoeuvre round it to get in.

I went for half board as uncomfortable with eating out alone. The food was very ordinary, the hot stuff was stewed and over-salted. Salads OK. Generally an experience to be got through quickly for me. I was insensitively seated literally in the middle of the room where I felt extremely conspicuous sitting reading my book amongst couples and groups.
You have to stay where you are put for the week.

I felt really sad about beng unable to change my situation. I am not fussy, I can usually relax anywhere, but I left 2 days early.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank Pollywollydoodah
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I stayed at Pollentia Hotel for 3 days with a large number of my family for a wedding. Some of the staff at the reception were extremely helpful and tried their best to do as much as they could for us. The rooms were very clean, bright and tidy, and although we all had rooms at the back of the hotel, we had amazing views of the mountains. The maid service was very good as rooms were cleaned every day as well as clean towels and bedding every other day. The bathroom was spotless and very spacious.

Breakfast was lovely with a wide choice of food and drinks. You also have the choice whether you want to sit inside or outside. Dinner was also very nice however I didn't think there was much variety and there were no vegetarian meals. The prices of drinks and snacks weren't too bad.

The location of the hotel was perfect and is right across the road from the beach. The beach has lovely golden soft sand and amazing clear sea. The cost of sun loungers and parasols weren't too bad either. The hotel is quite a distance from the town but there are always plenty of buses and taxis to catch if you don't fancy the walk.

We all had a very pleasant stay at Pollentia Hotel and were sad to leave but will probably stay here again and would definitely recomend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SophSunSea
Scotland
Reviewed 21 September 2010

we visit with family in two rooms. The rooms are basic, but then you don't need to spend much time there, but the hotel and its situation just perfect. Lovey family run, so friendly staff, meal times ideal, wonderful selction of food and helpful staff. Right across road from beach and away from busiest bits (still a lot of people!). Hotel building well kept, lovely comfy areas for bar and terrace

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I booked this hotel well over a month before I arrived for a long weekend with my girlfriend in August. I chose the hotel on account of the nice looking sea views and balconies looking over Pollenca bay. I booked through Expedia and specified a 'Sea-View' room (which of course cost more). When I turned up I was told the hotel was over booked and was led to a tiny, dingy room at the back with a tiny window looking into the back yard, basically a room you would not want to spend any time in. I was offered a free lunch as compensation. The hotel reception lied to me for over 2 hours about the whereabouts of the manager and I had to spend over an hour on the telephone with Expedia to cancel the booking. I spent one night in another hotel in Pollencia and then moved to Alcudia the next day, which was a far nicer resort any way. Overall I found Pollenca quite grotty with just one decent place to eat, Alcudia is much nicer.
In summary if you book a sea view room in this hotel there is no guarantee you will actually get one and the staff are dishonest.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tomlwright
Manchester
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed in this hotel for the last week in July and first in August. The room we were allocated was excellent with a breathtaking view (we paid extra for the sea view). I was informed by some though that if you are not allocated one of the rooms on the front your room does not include a balcony or sea view, so paying extra was worth it. Rooms were cleaned every day to a high standard and the whole hotel was very clean. The air conditioning was also a god-send for this time of year. The hotel is located on the front which is excellent in comparison to those located further inland. The service from a majority of the staff was consistently of an impeccable standard, particularly the bar manager (Juan-Jo I think) and Alfonso. The food was also generally very good with a wide range of dishes on offer each evening. Regarding value, all of the hotels in Puerto Pollensa are fairly expensive compared to other resorts but the resort is so beautiful that we would now not consider staying in other areas of Majorca if we were to return. The only other hotel we saw whilst there that rivalled this hotel was the Illa D'or but I believe there is a significant increase in cost if you decide for that one. Overall the resort is amazing (for couples in particular) and this hotel offers a very high standard for reasonable cost during high season - highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple