“Unbelievably rude staff and uncooked shellfish ” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Can Pescador

Can Pescador
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, UK
“Unbelievably rude staff and uncooked shellfish ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this restaurant with friends and the meal began well with friendly service and tasty tapas and Rosé wine. Unfortunately when the mains came the two tunas were overlooked as was the steak (asked for medium rare and got well done) but they all tasted fine so we decided not to bother sending back but one dish did need to go back because the prawns on the prawn and monkfish skewer were uncooked.

The dish took ages to return and had to be chased for twice and by the time it came out again the rest of us had finished our food.

We decided we would have dessert and the friendly female waitress took our order and whilst my ice cream was very good, the same friend who had endured the inedible seafood was served a cold crepe that must have been cooked earlier and refrigerated which was disappointing.

When we got the bill we noted that the seafood meal had been charged for as had everything else. In my experience, if you are served up something that is potentially going to make you quite ill then it is the norm to have that dish taken off the bill or at the very least have the drinks or desserts comped. We pointed this out to one of the waiters who said that because my friend ate the meal (the second one) then it should be paid for. We explained what had happened, assuming he might not be fully aware of the situation that had occurred. He defended the kitchen by saying that mistakes happen and when we pointed out how ill our friend could have got from eating poorly cooked shellfish he just said he too had food poisoning once.. And so began a ridiculously painful encounter with this waiter who confirmed he was also the manager, when asked. He was adamant that he would not amend our bill and I'm afraid we became increasingly adamant he should. Eventually after several minutes of discussion and trying to reason with the waiter and pointing out the disappointments with our other dishes he relented and returned the bill without the culprit dish on it.

Except then one of the other waiters came over and asked if everything was ok. I explained that we had endured a particularly unpleasant discussion with a colleague of his. Instead of perhaps apologising he then started hassling us about needing to pay for what we had eaten. He obviously already knew what had happened and just came out to make things more unpleasant and to goad us in some way. We already had our wallets out and always intended to pay the remainder of the bill but now this waiter seemed set on finishing our evening off in a particularly sour way. I had to ask him to leave us alone twice because he was harassing us. I genuinely can not believe I had to use those words to him, a waiter in the restaurant where he worked, it truly was quite unbelievable. I have not sought to retell the two conversations with the two waiters but suffice to say we all thought our treatment as paying customers was quite unacceptable.

We walked away in stunned silence at what had just unfolded in the previous 10 minutes.

I know that restaurants can vary depending on which staff are working and how busy things get but I would seriously urge anyone considering dining at Can Pescador to think twice. I have only rated it 1/5 because although some elements of our meal were good or fine, the parts that were bad were horrid. I would hate anyone else to have to share our experience.

2 Thank Melanie F

“Satisfactory experience let down by cold food and no apology”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited this restaurant as a party of five. The initial meet and greet was great and we soon selected our meals. Four of the meals were fine but the fifth, a lamb shoulder, was stone cold. This was taken away after we complained. The meal was not provided for such a long time we assumed that it was being replaced. However it was eventually delivered back to the table, reheated, well after the rest of our party had finished their meals. When it was returned the meal was literally plonked down and no apology was offered either for the cold food in the first place or the long delay in returning the food. That said the four other courses were well presented and tasty.
This is a nice restaurant situated in a good location overlooking Pollensa Bay. However we didn't leave a tip. This was just because the staff were not bothered when there was a problem and almost made us feel like it was our fault. No apology or refund offered was poor and we will not eat there again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Treoesman
Bristol
“Lovely food amazing staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a fortnight in the resort and this was the only restaurant we went to twice. It's hard to find a bad restaurant in port de pollenca but it's the staff and service that make this one! Can't wait for our next holiday

• Visited June 2014
Liverpool
“Great food, great staff,amazin location!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Me n boyfriend have just returned from a week in puerto pollensa stayin self catering and what can I say other then what a truelly amazing place!!! We went self catering so we could sample the local cuisine and ate out in other restaurants n even had Chinese take out, but the restaurant that stood out for us by far an had us returning each day for lunch and evening meal,was the can pescador! From the lunch snack menus of freshly made sandwiches, fish n even spag Bol to our evening meals of half chicken roast , fresh fish paella and mixed fish grill with all the fish caught fresh and local.....what can I say other then AMAZING!! The paella was the best we had both ever tasted , plenty of fish and full of flavour too the point there was that much of it they offered to put it In a doggy bag for us to take home and finish later,which we did! Couldn't waste amazing food! And the mixed grill fish was Another favourite of ours along with the half chicken roast that my boyfriend found himself craving all the time! Lol.the staff here went out their way everyday to provide a top class service,in particular Jose with hair,haha, ( as there is another Jose there bald) who built a friendship up with us and bent over backwards for us.everyone was more then friendly,always laughing and smiling and interacting with us, very efficient and fast.also the location on the beach front....perfect! As a result of this and gorgeous puerto pollensa me and my boyfriend are returning this September with my daughter to show her how amazing it all is.cannot wait to return!!

england
“our dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

this was the only duff meal we had in Pollenca. I ordered pork which came with a tomato sauce. I didn't realise until I had eaten a fair amount of it that the red round it was not sauce but blood.....

Visited June 2014