“Good holiday ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Fife, Scotland
“Good holiday ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We have recently returned from a 2 week holiday returning 12th July. We went with 2 other families so there was 12 of us altogether. 6 adults and 6 children ages from 8 to 13. Overall we had a great time - Weather was lovely, Puerto Pollensa stunning and hotel was ok however little changes could have made it better.

The hotel has 6 apartment blocks which are 3 stories high - we were located on the ground floor in block 6 next to the quiet pool in the select apartments. The apartment was nice and spacious with 1 bedroom with 2 single beds pushed together, a kitchenette with most utilities although there was no iron. The living area had a flat screen TV with BBC channels and the Disney channel that my 12 year old enjoyed. The couches are used as 2 further beds. The apartment for us was fine however I agree with other comments on here regarding an upgrade needed as we did see damp patches and mould in the bathroom. The beds are not exactly comfortable either however the shower was good with plenty of hot water. The patio doors led directly to the quiet pool surrounded by a grassy area which was lovely and where we spent most of our time. The main pool and the kids splash area looked lovely too although can't comment further as we spent little time there - it did look busy with lots of activities going on led by the reps. A football area was situated next to the quiet pool, our boys made good use of this throughout our holiday - it was free to use however required a 5 euro deposit. Table tennis and a games room also proved popular with our kids although some of it a rip off at 2 euros for a game of pool where in other hotels it's 1 euro. Evening entertainment aimed at younger kids and our kids were not interested - the reps looked like they tried however was not for us. It was brilliant that we arranged to go with 2 other families with kids all similar in age or my kids would have become very bored very quickly.

The hotel location is fine - it is a bit far out situated on a main road and directly across from a pebble beach which was great for fishing and our men enjoyed the walks into Puerto Pollensa. Bus service good so easy to get around.

The hotel is extremely safe - I was comfortable to give my kids the freedom they needed to go around the complex without mum and dad hanging around to close - any parent with young teenagers will understand that this is a difficult balance to give however this was not an issue here.

Food was ok - lunches not great, sometimes dinner was poor quality however there is plenty choice and there was always something that would suit us. Breakfast was ok too with all the usual stuff you would expect. I am not convinced however that the food is 4 star quality particularly if we compared it to other 4 star hotels we have holidayed on previous years. Drinks fine and ice cream available throughout the day but again a cheap option.

Some silly rules in place that we did not understand - only little cups given for juice during the day and you are not allowed to take dinner away however you can take lunch away. The Cleaners are not to wash your kitchen dishes, this did not bother me as I am capable of doing my own however, I would have expected a cloth, tea towel and detergent to be provided in an all inclusive room if this is not a service they provide.

Communication was not great - all the leaflets and info given in the rooms said different things, for example, timings of meals, opening times of the pools. We also did not know there was a kids area for dinner where there was pizza and burgers - we discovered this after our first week. However, I expect if you asked a member of staff they would be happy to let you know the correct version as the staff really are lovely.

No beach towels issued and to rent them is pretty expensive - last year at a 4 star hotel they were provided. No iron in room nor is there a laundrette on site. Clearer came 5 days out of 7 and most of the time the room was left spotless however a couple of days the bins were not emptied.

Overall we did have a fantastic time however I expect that has more to do with the company we had rather than the hotel itself. We would however have no problem going back or recommending it to others however for me it would have to be at a lot cheaper price as this holiday I feel was pretty expensive for what it was and is def not a 4 star in my humble opinion.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank LJAY76

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Waterford,Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is our second year at Club Del sol, we were a bit worried that it would not be as good as last year. But, it was fantastic we have 2 kids aged 11(boy) and 7 (girl) due to the excellent return rate for families to this hotel our kids met friends that they had made last year and their holidays started there and then. We stayed in block 4 last year and block 3 this year both great.

The same bar staff are in the hotel, Ale, Xisco, Tony, these guys are so friendly and yet so professional really helped to make our holiday special and the endless world cup banter was great and my son Niall and Ale the bar man stood together in the quest for Argentina to win....

The food is plentyfull and lovely, There is so much to choose from plenty of salad and vegetables loads of variety of meats fish chicken. I would be a little bit fussy with meat but I have to say I always found something. The pool side snack bar also operates at dinner time and they has lovely lasagne or pizza every evening.The restaurant staff are brilliant with special mention to Carmen, who arranged a beautiful bottle of champagne and a gorgeous birthday cake for me as a surprise..Sightly embarrassed but secretly thrilled.

The Entertainment staff Andre and Adam were great, they work very hard to make it a good fun holiday for everyone, I like getting involved in the boules and darts neither of which I can play, but as a family we met loads of people playing these games and we had great fun laughing at each other. The professional shows were great loved the comedian he was really funny. Elvis show was brilliant even though we would not be Elvis fans you could not help but sing along and get involved. Bingo is great fun and we won 160 euro which was brilliant.. Andre is a great guy but we felt there was too much expected of one person, it was hard for him to please adults kids teeenagers all at the same time, but he worked very hard trying.

The rooms were lovely and clean and spacious. The reception staff are brilliant Jean is very funny.

First choice kids club was great my daughter attended a good few times and loved it.

The pools are beautiful and clean the grounds are kept immaculate. The bins are always emptied.

Buses are great five minutes to Port Pollenca, and Five Mins to Alcudia, both are worth a visit. Pollenca was beautiful in the night time with the streets linded with little market stalls and the amazing sandcastles all lit up at night was beautiful.

Over all this was a massive success we were delighted to meet up with friends from last year and definitely will return next year, this hotel ticks all the boxes for us. It is safe, the area around the hotel is safe, So a huge thanks to all the other families new and old that we met for making this a very wonderful and memorable holiday for us..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Emma G
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a week here. This was our first holiday with our 1 year old and I was quite anxious about how it would be. I needed have worried, the hotel and it's location were perfect for what we needed.

We were in a studio in block 2, overlooking the splash pool. The room was bigger than I expected, 2 singles pushed together with a dining table and kitchenette. A large wardrobe separated the main room from another single bed and space for a cot. The bathroom was large with a powerful shower and plenty of hot water. Rooms are cleaned and towels are changed 5 days a week.

The pools are great. The splash pool is fab for the children although a little cold as it is in the shade first thing in the morning. The main pool is lovely and big with plenty of sunbeds, even with people reserving sunbeds first thing we always managed to get some when we went to the pool. The quieter pool is behind the well-stocked and reasonably priced shop and is surrounded by grass - perfect for my little one to play on in the shade when tired of being in the pool.

The food was nice and although there was plenty, it did get a bit repetitive towards the end of the week. We would have liked more themed nights like the Mexican night but I can understand that the hotel are catering for so many people of different nationalities and tastes. Lunch is only served from the snack bar by the pool which was the only time we had to queue.

The staff really make the hotel. They are all friendly, clearly enjoy what they do and couldn't do enough for us. My son was a very messy eater and the staff wouldn't even let me clear up the bits he had dropped on the floor. My little one loved the cheesy but fun mini disco run by the entertainment team in the evening.

The hotel's location is great. It is opposite a pebbly beach and is just outside of town so it didn't feel too touristy. The bus to Pollenca stops right outside and took us to a lovely sandy beach.

I would definitely return to this hotel. We didn't explore the island as much as we wanted to and feel that this hotel would be a good base to do that.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma H
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a fabulous family holiday you won't go wrong with Club del Sol. Excellent from start to finish. This is our 2nd visit here which worried me because in 25 years of going to Majorca its the first time I have ever returned to same place! Welcoming reception. Reception staff are lovely nothing too much trouble.I had planned to go to chemist the receptionist told me to go to Dr instead with my E111 card as this provides free Dr treatment welcome advice. Restaurant and bar staff excellent. Place in excellent order. Rooms adequate and clean. Food is plentiful and cooked to a good standard I am extremely fussy. Kids club well run. Entertainment great craic. I would like to stress this is a perfect family and couple hotel as a young couple arrived created bit of noise if you want that type of holiday Magaluff is south of the island. This is a superb friendly hotel and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Kabelfast
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I took our two small children (3,1) here in the second week of June. I was very dubious of the very mixed reviews attributed to this hotel and had quite low expectations on arrival. However, as we pulled in, the resort looks really well kept with a beautiful reception area. A smiling rep was on hand to help with our luggage and check in was quick and efficient. The rooms are immaculately kept (basic for 4 star) and cleaned 5 days a week. We were in block 3, top floor. All the staff on resort were faultlessly helpful, smiling and friendly. The whole resort was spotlessly clean. The food was plentiful and fresh but definitely lacked in flavour. No concerns re the soft drinks or alcohol.

Pools were lovely and clean, a bit cold. Quiet pool favoured in our family. Would not fancy coming here in school holidays, as hotel clearly not full during our stay. A little competition for queuing for food and potential for sunbed wars and general space. Outdoor entertainment had also only just started on our last two nights- it was LOUD and inescapable from our block.

Did not use kids club but others reported it was enjoyable. Kids disco in the evening was fun for them... Would definitely go back if it was not in peak season. Yes there is definitely a walk into pollenca but pleasant for the most part and a way to burn off the excesses. Easy to catch the bus.
We paid for wifi which was good in the morning and evening but not at lunchtime when kids are sleeping!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dixonlj3
plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

A nice, clean, adequately presented hotel however……… we arrived on Saturday afternoon to be informed that the lunch was served by the pool. A bit basic – a lot of chips, pizzas and cheap spaghetti – not what you expect from 4*. In 4* hotels usually all meals are served in the restaurant during designated meal times and for the rest of the day snacks are offered by the pool. This was not the case here – shame as I really do not like eating my meals looking at half-dressed people ‘spilling’ out of their swimming trunks!
No style at dinner either with men wearing shorts and not usually compulsory long trousers.
The food although was cooked well was of a very poor variety unless you like…. chips, pizzas and cheap spaghetti [here we go again]. There were some freshly cooked meats and at least one fish dish – but the variety was poor. At breakfast unless you like ‘full English’ or cereal the choice of meats and cheeses was very limited and the meats were of poor quality [no parma ham here!]. Free white wine was drinkable although rose was always warm and red was truly awful with underlying metallic taste and sediment – yuk! Definitely ‘NIL POINT’ here!
....Another thing we have noticed was that although this is Spain the country of citrus fruits when I reached for a lemon for my tea I realized that the lemons were plastic!...PLASTIC LEMONS IN SPAIN? OMG!
Another issue we and other couples who were childless on this holiday was that the majority of guests were with very young children and babies. On one occasion I counted 33 kids in a relatively small pool.
The room itself was fine although decorating was on the odd side as all wall lightings and towel rails were at a ‘strange’ angle [and that’s before I had too much wine!] The kitchenette was adequate however as the suite comprised of one room only I found myself sleeping next to a very noisy fridge.
Staff?!...you couldn’t fault them! They were all very polite, friendly and very informative – truly lovely people.
Will we go back to Puerto Pollensa? – definitely!...will we go back to Club del Sol – I don’t thinks so

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anita-anna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here from 30th June for a week and it was brilliant cannot fault the hotel or staff and we will definitely be back again, our room was spacious and very clean, staff very helpful and friendly. The entertainment was really good something everyday and night, our son loved the kids club even though he was quite shy to start with they made him feel comfortable and got him wanting to join in with everything. well done club del sol!

• Stayed July 2014