“Another wonderful stay..........” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
welwyn garden city
“Another wonderful stay..........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have just returned from another week at this hotel and it was as good as the first. Rooms haven't changed (still a little dated), but more than adequate for what we needed. Again, we moved one bed from the living area into the bedroom so my mum could have a bit of privacy. Food was again ok, something for everyone but by no means a gourmet feast. We travelled with 2 children, so something for everyone is no mean feat! We paid to rent a kettle and have the fridge switched on which was only a couple of euros a day and worth it.
The pool area is fantastic, with enough sun beds for everyone. The boys had freedom of the resort again as it is really quite small and feels secure. This year there was the addition of a sandpit and 'astroturf' area, which was a huge hit with my 2. This is fenced off a few steps away from the pool, so in no way infringes on anyone relaxing by the pool.
We found the entertainment this year was a little more subdued during the day. We really enjoyed last years pool quizzes and the boys enjoyed the water polo that was held everyday. This year the one water polo match was adults and kids which is not suitable for my 2 at all. And what's happened to Aquaflash, the water aerobics that everyone could join in? We all really missed that! All in all, the daytime entertainment changes are what made me only rate this 4 and not 5 stars. Having said that, we loved chicken bingo and the boys really enjoyed the kids club and of course the nightly kids disco. Very relaxed and Paddy and Taylor were great.
We also missed the evening entertainment being held outside, but that could have been due to the inclement weather. I hope so, because we are definitely booking for next year and would like to see it outside if the weather is better! Being held inside was a bit claustrophobic and although of a high quality, didn't make me want to hang around as much.
The location of this hotel cannot be bettered in my opinion. A few minutes walk from the beach, the pine walk and loads of fabulous restaurants. Wonderful for a stroll after dinner or a nice lunch out. The spar shop just over the road is well priced and very well stocked and I found an amazing ensaimada shop just another block on!
So, once again, we are already looking to book next year as this is probably the most relaxing place we have ever stayed as a family. High praise for all the staff, but especially the entertainment team who were so friendly and so hard working.
But please.....more quizzes, bring back aquaflash and kids water polo!!

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We are a family of 5 (children aged 7, 4 and 13 months) and we stayed for 11 nights, returning 30th May. We had a fantastic time and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The first week we were there it was mainly older couples and families with pre-school children (we took our son out of school for the last week of the half-term), but for our last few days it was the UK school holidays so there were a lot more families around. There were several guests with wheel chairs (manual and powered) so I'm guessing the hotel is quite good for those with accessibility issues. We certainly found it easy to get around the hotel and grounds with a pushchair.
We had room C114, away from the pool and on the ground floor (as I had requested via Thomson Holidays when we booked). It got the sun from late afternoon onwards - this was not a problem because the sun didn't shine much anyway when we were there, but in high summer I think the room might get a bit hot at teatime and not cool down in time for bedtime. The room was smaller than I was expecting from the pictures, but we didn't find it cramped. There is a kitchenette, but as previous reviewers have mentioned it isn't really in use and is not mentioned on their website or in tour operator brochures. We paid 27.50 euros to have the fridge turned on for 11 days. I knew about the kitchen facilities because my brother and his family had visited the hotel in September 2012 - I took plastic plates, bowls and cutlery, washing up liquid, tea towel etc and that meant that we had real flexibility for lunches/snacks which is vital when you have small children with you. We could make picnics for lunch and give the children a snack to keep them going until we could get our evening meal (the dining room does not open until 18:30, which is much later than my children usually have their tea and I could not expect my 13 month old to wait that long for her evening meal). In fact some days we ate out at lunch then fed the children sandwiches in the room for their tea and put them to bed for 7pm as they were shattered after one too many mini-discos (more about the entertainment later!). We then took it in turns to go and get our evening meal alone.
The pool area was lovely, I think another reviewer was moaning about the fact it was just a pool and there were no slides etc, but I think it was brilliant. Adults could have a proper swim if they wanted the exercise, and the kids were happy just running in and out of the baby pool and the shallower section of the main pool. There is a lot of space around the pool, and plenty of sun loungers. There is a shaded section, and there are a few trees to give shade too.
The food was lovely, obviously not like a posh restaurant but on the other hand we know there are loads of nice restaurants in Puerto Pollensa and we didn't feel 'cheated' by having to stay in the hotel every night. The breakfast buffet has 'full english', cereals, loads of fresh and dried fruit, bread rolls, ham and cheese, pastries and also bread for toasting. The coffee is not great (it's only from a machine at breakfast, at other times you can get really nice fresh coffee from the bars) and the fruit juice is not fresh (it too is from a machine, and tastes more like squash, but it's drinkable). There was always loads of choice at dinner, I was a bit afraid my kids would be eating chicken nuggets and horrible 'kiddie' food but there was none of that! There were always two pasta dishes, grilled meat and fish, vegetables, and something Spanish as well as curry a couple of times. There were always two soups for starters and loads of salad and bread rolls. Most of it was home-made, there was ravioli one night that was straight from a tin but that was the only time in 11 nights.
The kids entertainment was a bit hit and miss, but we were not looking for a hotel with proper organised childcare so it was not a problem for us. Other recent reviews have mentioned the kids club staff - to me Simone and Taylor looked like they were being forced into entertaining the children and were not enthusiastic at all! Paddy on the other hand was brilliant. There is a kids club most afternoons between 3 and 5pm, mostly this consisted of one of the girls turning up and asking the kids if they wanted to do any colouring. If they didn't then the kids were left to go mad in the little soft play area (which was supposed to be for under 5's) or play football indoors. There was no real organisation, and although you can leave your children there unsupervised you cannot leave the hotel and your children need to know where you are going to be as they are free to leave the kids club by themselves at any point. Some days (the days when Paddy was in charge!) there was more going on - one day the children put on a circus show on the little stage by the pool. But as I said, we just wanted to go to a hotel where there would be other children for ours to play with around the pool so the fact that the kids entertainment wasn't the best didn't bother us. None of the tour operators run kids clubs at the hotel so if you want proper, organised childcare then you need to go elsewhere.
There was also a mini disco each evening for the kids at 8:30. It was fun, and my older two enjoyed it, but it could have done with starting at 8pm. After staying up until almost 10 for a couple of nights and not lying in the next morning (at what age do kids start to understand the concept of a lie-in?!) my older two were shattered and having massive meltdowns. We had a nightmare journey home today as of course they wanted to go to the mini disco on their last night but we had to be up at 7 to get back to the airport. Also, be warned that for 10 euros you can buy a CD of the mini disco songs - we are now the proud owner of said CD and had to put up with an hour of cheesy Eurovision-style pop on the drive back home from East Midlands airport!
Overall summery - loved the hotel. I'd like to say we'd go back (and we met many guests who were on repeat visits) but next year we will have three children over 2 (obviously this year my 13 month old was counted as an infant in a cot) and I'm not sure the rooms can accommodate us all.

Room Tip: Block A is above the bar and restaurant, so could be noisy. Block B is furthest from the bar, Block...
Peebles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I love this place! We decided to return after a lovely break last June and were not disappointed. The ambiance is relaxed and friendly therefore no surprise to discover when chatting to other holiday makers that this is a place they return to time and again.
The staff are extremely hard working and enhance the whole holiday experience - nothing is too much trouble. On our first visit, the girl on Reception managed to trace a cardigan belonging to my friend which had been left on the coach and had it delivered back to the apartments. A family staying next door lost their passports and cash on the coach too and all items were fully recovered and delivered safely to them.
Natalia in the restaurant is marvellous with young children and always takes time out of her hectic schedule to make them feel special and Jose at the Bar is a cheeky chappy who always has a kind word.
The pool area is clean and the surrounding garden area is well maintained and cheery. There was never any problem sourcing a sun lounger and no need to reserve with a towel either.
The food was pleasant - varied with something for everybody. It wasn't a fine dining experience, but still fantastic value for money.
Puerto Azul has a great location only being minutes walk to the beach and shops and a short stroll to the bus stop. There are a few nice shops too stocking labels such as Belstaff, Ganesh, Gant and DKNY and I didn't see a "Kiss me quick" hat once!
The rooms are due to start a refurbishment programme soon so I'm sure that will be another feather in their cap when completed in Spring 2014.
Will most certainly return and imagine this will be my destination of choice in Majorca from now on. Don't know if I can wait 'til next year though - this place is beckoning me back already!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank clermont1
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

My husband and myself returned from a weeks stay at the Puerto Azul yesterday and loved every second of our holiday. It was our first time in Majorca never mind Puerto Pollensa so arrived with no idea of what to expect...we were not disappointed. When we arrived the hotel looked smart and tidy and the receptionist was curtious and professional with genuine warmth. OK the decor of the rooms are currently a little tired but we felt they are adequate with a good TV, bathroom and comfy bed (we were in B204 so overlooked the beautiful mountains). After a wander around the hotel and the pine walk we had our lunch in the snack back which was delicious and inexpensive.
We have read a few complaints on this site and really can't understand it! The pool and pool area were lovely and the maintenance man didn't stop, he kept the area clean and tidy., which we felt was a lovely setting. With regards to the food we were really happy and enjoyed every meal without any complaints whatsoever, we also felt the drinks were reasonably priced in the bar with a jug of Sangria for 6 euros and cocktails at 4.50. The kitchen, dining room and bar staff worked incredibly hard and we got on like a house on fire....they were all great - won't name our favourites!!
What can I say about Paddy, Simone and Taylor. They are little treasures and although we didn't have children with us they were great fun with the mini club and we had such a laugh with them and it was a sad time when we had to say good bye (or in Paddys words hasta la pasta).
In the main the hotel seemed to attract lovely people who we got on really well with and thanks to the staff we had a chilled out, wonderful week and we are currently looking at booking for the same time but for longer next year.

A few visit tips - Palma (the cathedral and surrounding area are like a Majorcan Covent Garden with street entertainers and lovely little shops and stalls). 12.50 euro return on public transport from Puerto Pollensa. For good half day visits try Pollensa old town and Alcudia old town, both 3 euros return on public bus. We took a ferry to Formentor and then the bus back down the winding roads. Our final day we went on the Island Trip excursion with the No Frills Tour Co and although it was 59 euro each it seemed a little expensive but was worth every penny, being an absolutely amazing trip with thanks to our Majorcan George Clooney...Juan:) On the trip we went to the Port of Soller which was like the south of France and the town of Soller was beautiful.

A note of caution: This has not put us off but my purse was stolen while getting on a bus in Alcudia on market day. This can happen anywhere but as it was so busy at the bus queue thieves have lots of opportunities. Thankfully I kept cards in safe and only took enough cash for each day so the thieves must have been so disappointed when they only made 30 euros out of us. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS PUT YOU OFF WE JUST WANT YOU TO BE CAUTIOUS AT THE BUS STOPS.

Majorca and Puerto Azul has a warmth and ambience that we have never experienced anywhere like it before....for us the best place ever with the help of the staff and stay at the Puerto Azul Hotel......see you next May!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mandy C
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Came home on Tuesday after spending two weeks at this hotel.The food wasn't,t as good as on previous visits but spoke to the manager about it and it did improve on the second week that we were there. The rooms are being upgraded as we asked to see the one that was already finished. Beautiful! The manager said that all the rooms will be finished by March 2014.All the staff are brilliant.

Room Tip: We like B block odd numbers
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rita H
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Just got back from the Puerto Azul. I don't agree with the moaners, why expect a 5 star hotel when you pay 2 star price? Pay 3 times the price and go elsewhere if you want 'proper orange juice' or make your own!

This hotel is damn good value for the money you pay and our safe cost 14 euros for the week (plus 3 euros deposit we got back) and our fridge was invaluable at 17 euros for the week. NOT 30!!!

We read reviews before going so took our own kettle, tea n coffee and bought mugs and milk from the local supermarket.

Of course the rooms are looking tired this year, why would they have started a refurbishment program if they didn't need doing?

Absolutely brilliant staff. Couldn't fault any of them from the bar staff, Maria on reception to the very talented Paddy, Simone and Taylor on the entertainment team.

Be aware you might have to lug your suitcase up a flight or two of stairs, but I did see a member of staff do it for someone less able.

The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, which for me is more important than the hotel looking a bit dated. Beds very comfy.

On a wet day, we got the bus from the port to Palma, then instead of paying 17 euros for the open top bus, paid 1 euro 50 each way on the number 3 bus outside Palma bus station and went to the shopping centre at Porto pí. This was a very cheap way to see the city as Porto Pí is about the 19th stop away!

The seafront is only about 5 minutes away from the hotel and has a good selection of bars and restaurants. Sunbeds and parasols cost about 6 euros each on the beach.

We all had a brilliant holiday at super cheap price with Thomson and wouldn't hesitate to come here again.

6 Thank Sanbria
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

This complex is great for a family holiday, and had this vibe throughout our stay. Lots of other families with young children were there too as well as senior citizens. This may be due to the off peak timing, but provided for an excellent blend of energies! The food was of a high quality for a buffet setting, and always had a good offering of fish and meats. The staff were fantastic, and great with kids, which is always heart warming. The rooms were spotlessly clean, and the staff were again lovely in this dept - however, there was a kitchenette in the rooms - fridge, hobs and sink, which would of been great with young children for warming & storing milk, smoothies etc, but there was a charge to use the fridge, of 2.50 Euro per day! I found this most confusing, and the hobs were shut off with no supply. I heard they were refurbishing soon, but i dont see what the issue would of been to let the guests use the facilities if they were already there - and not be charged extra! I would definitely recommend management to review this, as everything else is so family friendly. Great location, will certainly consider returning next year.

Room Tip: Younger families may be better suited facing the back - less noise from the entertainment at night
2 Thank PiliPala30