“Really enjoyed our stay”

Puerto Azul Suite Hotel
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We spent 11 days here in July with our 2 year old daughter & grandparents & all had a super time. Rooms were fine & food was lovely. I do agree with the other reviews about paying for fridge & no kitchen utensils I don't see the point in having them in the room with no way of using them but I do believe once the refurb takes place the rooms will be changed so they are more like a hotel. Not a pool lover so cant comment on that we went to the beach everyday which is fantastic for kids with shallow warm water & little fishes swimming at the shore. Only 5 min away from hotel which is a great bonus. Mini disco is great for the kids & I looked forward to it every night too & I'm 37! Entertainment staff great. All other staff really polite & friendly. Love pollensa & this was my 3rd trip to the resort & first to this hotel. Would definitely go back for another visit.

Room Tip: Mountain view top floor quietest & sun on balcony in the day
1  Thank helencf
Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel last September and had a fantastic time.

Unfortunately this year the hotel is under new management and we had a huge problem with our air conditioning. We had two technicans and the manager to our room who performed minor adjustments and tried to convince us that this is how the aircon worked. Well last September it was working considerably better! It was absolutely useless this year. For this reason alone we would not return to the hotel.

On a positive note the rooms were still ok, clean and functional. Food as good as last year, many of the same staff were still at the hotel and remembered us.

The entertainment is geared for children and no adult timetables were adhered to on this visit which disappointed my husband as he had really enjoyed the adult darts, water polo etc last year.

Puerto Pollensa is beautiful and we will hopefully return again another year but not to this hotel.

It would be advisable to hire a fan for your room or buy a small one at home and take it with you as the room was unbearably hot and we could not sleep.

It is always a huge disappointment when a return visit does not live up to your expectations but we certainly did not allow it to spoil our holiday. Just find yourself a hotel with working aircon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days starting 6th July this year. When we arrived we were given our key and told it was on Block A room 513. This was on the 3rd floor we could not see a lift so a kindly gentleman helped us up the stairs with our cases. My husband is 72 and I am 68 so the stairs were a bit much with cases. We later found a lift but still had to walk some stairs every time we went out. I was really surprised to see a kitchen with no cups,plates pots or pans. Since this is aparthotel I expected to have these as I have been to an Aparthotel before and these items were there for your use. You also had to rent out a fridge. However we did have a nice view looking out at the front of the hotel. The food was quite good and well presented and you could set out in the garden and have your meals which was nice. Did enyoy most of the entainment at night. There was a Michael Jackson tribute very good. One night there was a firework display as there was a festival on at the time we were there. The last time we stayed in Port Pollenca was 18 years ago so we noticed it has got bigger with more shops than before. The hotel is only 5 minutes away from the beach and they are really nice and the water is warm for swimming would go back but maybe a different hotel.Forgot to mention the bar staff at night were really good as was the waitresses at meal times.

Room Tip: Liked our room facing the front or some rooms facing the mountain.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruby-stars-finlay-do
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I reviewed this hotel in 2012 and feel I should update my opinion for 2013. There were six of us in our party this time and two people found the food so bad that they ate elsewhere most days. Do not stay here if you are vegetarian, you will not be catered for. The air conditioning, in July is ineffective. However, on the plus side, the children's entertainment was first class and the two children (aged 6 and 12) had a great time. Unfortunately the pool was closed three times in the one week due to a child being allowed into the water without a swim nappy, with predictable results. The staff at the pool Bar at lunch time were run off their feet which resulted in very grumpy faces and a few mistakes.

2  Thank Kay256
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just returned from a 10 night stay with husband and 3 kids. We had a brilliant holiday here in the hotel and in Puerto Pollensa itself. Would definitely return to the area and the hotel while my kids are still young. Food great, pool area great, service great, location great. Would perhaps like a mountain view next time just for if we wanted a quiet night one night. Our air con worked fine (negatives here say it didn't work well). Agree that adult entertainment is not good but all you need to do is go out a walk along the pine walk or to the seafront area or go to the square for a lovely night out and then return an hour or so later. Bar and restaurant staff fantastic. Apparently rooms being refurbished later this year so would love to return again soon. Thank you Puerto Azul for a great family holiday!!

Room Tip: pool view was great for having young kids although quite noisy til midnight.
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just back from a two week stay at this hotel with the wife and two girls (2 yr old and 7 months)

From the start it's clear that the new management have taken steps to cut costs by implementing a few ideas to make more money and keep costs down. Charging for the use of the fridge and kettle whilst I have not seen this anywhere in my travels is obviously so they can recoup the costs of running items that are heavy on the electricity. Still, within 20 minutes of my holiday starting I had spent nearly 100 euros on a fridge, kettle and safe. As a place clearly aimed at families they are onto a sure thing as people will need a fridge and possibly a kettle if they haven't brought one. I guess other places may factor these costs into the price of your stay so if you added that onto our initial price it wouldn't seem so noticeable.

A slight let down came in the fact that there is zero kitchenware in the kitchenette. Again as a family oriented place they must expect that people will need somewhere to store food or milk etc, something to serve or prepare food for the kids during the day or late at night and a way for them to wash any plates or cutlery etc.

The Air Con was also a casualty to the cost saving. On our arrival we asked for two room keys but they refused. My guesses are so that you cannot leave one key plugged in to allow the AC and plug points to be running all the time. Makes sense I suppose if you are the owner but a bit annoying from a service point of view.
Being from Scotland I, and definitely my girls, are not equipped to handling any level of heat especially at night time. When the AC was on it was not exactly blowing us away with its lacklustre fan and therefore could take a while to bring the temp down. A problem when you would be coming in at night and putting the kids straight to bed. Being on the ground floor we couldn't leave windows open whilst we were out. For the first few days our AC would go down to 18 degress but after that it somehow changed so it wouldn't go under 21 which made it more difficult to get the room to cool down. When we asked about it they said something about stopping viruses breaking out by rooms being kept below 21. Seems a bit strange and more likely that it's cheaper for them run on the AC at a max of 21 degress than say 17.

What was strange was that when we pointed these failings out to our Rep they had no idea about the lack of plates/cutlery. There seemed to be a few changes made by the hotel that thomsons rep was not aware of or had very recently picked up on. Worried that they are sending people out there without full knowledge of what they are heading out to, which was the case for us as we were then unable to prepare other than what we had read here on TA.

Although these were minor problems I wouldn't say they detracted from the fun we had. We managed to get some cutlery and plates from somewhere very very nearby and after a quick look managed to find a way to keep the AC on all the time (without breaking it), sorry but it was just too hot and if it meant allowing my little girls to sleep comfortably then it had to be done.

We had requested a ground floor room away from the pool after some reading on this site. Had a lovely, quiet room C116 which looked onto the mountains. Had a little terrace and a great stretch of grass that my daughter and pals could run about on and wife could sunbathe whilst the girls had an afternoon nap (just beware the sprinklers come on around midnight!) The entertainment was quite loud especially on the nights external acts came in as they often brought their own equipment. It was too loud for me to even bring the littlest one down in the pram and sleep whilst I enjoyed my evening so I can only imagine that it would be very difficult if you had a room facing the pool with little ones who can't stay up till midnight. Ground floors on C and B block are perfect if you have prams to shunt around. Some people who stayed off the ground floor or in A block found it so difficult at time they just left prams downstairs which is a problem if the little one is fast asleep.

There are some comments about the rooms being outdated but I think they were very typical of apartments you find in Mallorca. Maybe I haven't been to some nice places but there was a place to sit and a table in the sitting area, a small table to have lunch or prepare dinner, a couple of beds and a cot (that must be said was nicer than cots I have been given in better places) combined with a few wardrobes and drawers and your standard bathroom of course it was perfectly acceptable for a 3 star hotel. I would like to add that they did have a nice Samsung TV in the room which has a little media player built in. This means you can fire any movies or music onto a USB drive/stick and plug it straight into the USB slot on the side of the TV. It came in handy for me when the little one was having a nap in the bedroom or when we had to put her to bed in the room because it was too hot or noisy for her to stay asleep outside. It does have some English channels and Cbeebies for the kids. I know TV shouldn't be that big a feature when going on holiday but it shows there are some things that are up to date and again more so than some other places I have stayed. There was also free wifi throughout the hotel although it did seem to be erratic at times but you can't complain when it's free.

The pool was a good size with a separate area for the little ones. The main pool was closed about 4 times during our trip for about half a day each time due to kids pooing in the pool. It was a pain but it's not the hotels fault. They can only reiterate the need for parents to ensure their kids are dressed accordingly, they can't enforce it. As many people have said there was the typical game of sourcing the sunbeds. Some people must have been getting their towels down as they were going to bed in the wee hours or getting up at 6am. With the little ones getting us up at around 7am we never had bother finding a couple of beds in the shade and one in the sun. It does get busy and if you are a late riser it may be difficult but to me that whole game is part of being on holiday, at least it always has been for as long as I have been going on family holidays to spain. On one occasion they were cleaning the outside area so stacked and padlocked all the sunbeds away until 9am the next morning. This, to me, seemed more chaotic as people seemed to panic at 9am. Some people had put chairs down where they wanted to have beds, some were even sitting in the spaces they wanted in preparation to the releasing of the beds. Once 9am came around there was a manic rush to grab beds and get them where you wanted which seemed worse in some ways.

The entertainment seem to be taking a bit of stick on here but I will say they work very hard and long days and always have something on for the kids. Mine were a bit too young but I could tell the other kids there were enjoying the activities and the mini disco seemed to go down a treat. The night time acts after that aren't amazing but it's hardly the final of Britain's Got Talent is it. You are not forced to endure it so if it's rubbish take a walk down to the beach front. As much as some say it wasn't worth watching the place still seemed busy late into the night, every night so it can't have been that bad.

As for the food it was pretty much what I expect from buffet style meals at hotels. The breakfast was the same each morning. Hot stuff like sausages, eggs and beans (someone should tell them fried bread in a deep fat fryer is very wrong) and then your cereals, fruit, cakes and bread etc (and that toaster contraption that everyone stands at whilst there bread slowly passes through then guess which one is yours as it drops out the bottom sometimes toasted sometimes not bizarrely) so no problems there.

I was expecting the dinner food to be repeated on a weekly basis but found that there was always something different available over the two weeks. I will admit I probably found it a lot easier as a meat eater with plenty of beef, chicken and pork dishes served up than my wife who only eats veg and fish. She was limited a few times to the veg pasta and salad although they did a few nights with salmon fillets and usually had some sort of fish on it just wasn't always that nice. Before we travelled I wondered how the kids would deal with not getting dinner till after 630 which is quite late for them but they dealt with it well and a wee afternoon ice cream helped no end. We also ate out a few times as it would be daft to not experience the lovely restaurants pollensa has to offer but overall I was happy with the food they had on offer.

The location of the hotel is great. It's less than 5 mins from the beach and in a quiet area. Once you get down to the beach front you can either head down the range of lovely restaurants and a few shops or head along Pine walk which has less shops but is a nice walk all the same. The square which is a couple of streets back from the bus station is very lively and has a nice little market in the evening. We took a walk to Playa Mar where some friends had stayed and whilst it was a much nicer looking complex, for us, it was too far if you wanted to head out for the evening. It was probably about a 30min walk to get the start of the busy area. I would also suggest a taxi trip to old pollensa which has a lovely square where you can have a nice meal and the kids can run about. A few people we spoke to had made the decision to go towards the end of their stay and wished they had done it sooner so they could go again.

Overall I would say pollensa is a lovely place and we had a great time at the Puerto Azul. I would definitely go back to Puerto Pollensa although I am not sure I would pick the same hotel (there would only have to be a few minor changes and I probably would). I would definitely like to stay around the same area or at least close to the beach front. The Puerto Azul is most definitely for the kids so I would not suggest staying if you are looking for peace and quiet by the pool.

Room Tip: We had the two young kids and a double pram so C block on the ground was ideal for ease of access an...
4  Thank steve4bs
Reviewed 21 July 2013

just returned from a 7 night stay with my husband and teenage son .The hotel is in a good central location its a 5 min stroll from the beach and the centre of puerto pollensa. The hotel restaraunt and pool area are lovely but our room was very disapointing we were directly under a staircase and the noise of people clattering up and down at all hours was awful the room was very dated with a cracked window damaged door and rusty fridge it was however very clean . The entertainment team were fantastic for the kids and worked very very hard . The adult entertainment was good some nights not so much on others.... Pool area was great and as others have said got very busy if you didnt have a towel on a bed by at least 9am you may not get one. Food was good quite a varied choice and plenty of it .On the whole it is a good 3 star hotel great for young children just the rooms could be a little better to match the rest of the hotel couldnt fault the staff .

Room Tip: probably a top room not over looking the pool if you want it a little quieter .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family