“Great treatments and room to grow”

The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Bourget B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Great treatments and room to grow”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We learned a new family recently took over the inn and the spa. First, I'd like to say that the spa treatments were great. When you arrive, you'll be given a schedule and read it carefully if you stay overnight. It says everywhere at the inn that breakfast is at 8:30am, but your schedule may say different. For such a small family run business, you quickly fall into a bureaucracy where no one is quite sure what your schedule is. It seems they are just getting familiar with it too. You are provided with a perfunctory tour and you are shown your room. You will be told to come down to the spa at a certain time, but you will also be told to take your time. Many oddly contradictory statements are made at times to provide flexibility to the guests, but if you take them up on it, you might cause some problems...The family is obviously trying to find the balance between customer service and order. One is often sacrificed for the other.

You should be prepared to wait between treatments and there is not enough staff to properly offer you tea, fruits or something while you wait as you might be accustomed. The family does offer to set up the sauna and hot tub for use if you like. Sundia, part of the owners' family, has a natural talent and a lovely warm smile. The mud wrap and head message she gave were lovely, although you have to wash off in a tub that you then soak in. I was under the impression that one usually showers after a wrap, then immerses in a tub. There is no shower in the treatment room which might account for this. If your friend is doing the mud wrap after you, the tub takes ages to drain and sundia is diligent about hygiene. Do it together!
The spa brings in extra professionals of top quality when needed.

My sister and I stayed overnight. There are definite areas for improvement for the inn in terms of expectations that most have regarding food and decor. The hearty country style breakfast is a standard 2 eggs, toast and bacon deal with juice from concrntrate. The meals are good, but nothing too special, possibly pre-cooked or from a box or bottle. Strange becuase it's so easy to create lovely, healthy gourmet meals these days as we've all been educated and our standards raised by food shows! Poor them! But this family is learning the business of hospitality faithfully. Not sure how aware they are about how spoiled we are now and how high our expectations are. Cutting corners has to be done in the most subtle of ways...there are so many ways to make clients feel special that cost next to nothing. i respect knowing one's profit margins, but no glass of wine included in dinner? My sister and i got a pretty good deal, but i can't say that wholeheartedly. We got a lot of treatments, but in the end, we still paid over $500 each tax in for a one-night stay, 4 treatments, one kind of bland dinner and breakfast. The inn and the spa are impeccable in terms of cleanliness. I just can't say i walked away feeling like i'd had a pampering experience...my skin looks great however.

Honestly, I would love to see the family embrace their origin from a mystical and fabled country and turn it into a retreat that provides an Eastern philosophy experience and a traditional menu with exotic teas offered to serve oneself in the dining room. I see a large clientele from montreal in that case, especially because of its proximity to the city. Just 90 min from kirkland. Anyway, if the family continues to try to provide a similar experience to the previous owners, i wish them the best of luck. My sister and i would definitely go back for the treatments. If we stay overnight, we would probably bring plusher robes, softer slippers instead of the pastic men's garden slippers i got. I would also specify which treatments you would want to do together.This place could really provide a unique Eastern retreat experience instead of competing in a market where other businesses have a lot more experience than they do. I wish them great things because they are definitely a very kind, hard working family.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BorderlessEarth
BourgetSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear BorderlessEarth,

Thank you for your very insightful comments and suggestions. We are happy that you enjoyed our spa services and want to take your suggestions seriously and implement some of your ideas. We would love to host you for your next visit.

Have a beautiful Day !!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Cari J has written a review of our stay at the Bourget Inn and I can only echo her comments -all was such a positive experience--the warm greeting - the comfortable room --meals and service "superb" -the lovely surroundings. I would not only recommend the Bourget to anyone, it is my intention to return next year with both of my daughters.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank 500marie1234
BourgetSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear 500marie1234,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Bourget Inn & Spa, your comments are very much valued. We are pleased to hear that you agree with your daughter about the positive experience in the Inn & Spa resort. We are greatly touched by your high recommendations and the decision to return next year. We will definitely try to make your next stay with us similar if not better next time.

Have a fantastic day!!!
Melocheville, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My mother treated me to a 2 day spa get-a-way for my 50th birthday this past September. We were greeted warmly and shown to our room which was very welcoming and comfortable. Meals and service was superb. Our massages and pedicures surpassed an hour and we were pampered. Quiet, beautiful surroundings. Warm, pleasant and very hospitable staff. I would recommend The Bourget to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cari J
BourgetSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Hi Cari J,

Thank you for choosing Bourget Inn and Spa and leaving your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and felt pampered. It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2013

great staff and the owner has a very positive and personalize approach to her business, the food was very good ,lot's of choice, the owner created a very serine and zen place , it's my third time and plan to bring employees next for a nice retreat .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
BourgetSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi Alain A,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed the food and the serenity of this country style Inn and spa. We look forward to welcoming you back soon with your employees.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I spent 2 days with 2 girlfriends and had a wonderful time. The service was excellent, owners & staff were friendly & very courteous. The food was delicious, enjoyed my pedicure & massage and got a receipt. I was very happy with our stay at the Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Mary F,

Thank you for taking your time to comment. We are happy that you had a wonderful time at the Inn and Spa Resort and enjoyed your pedicure and massage. We look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriends back again.

Have a fabulous day!!!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I don't normally share but my experience here was so unbelievably terrible that it is worth sharing and warning people to NEVER EVER go to this spa. My husband purchased the "Le Classique" spa package for my first birthday after having our daughter. I was so looking forward to a nice relaxing day at the spa and got the complete opposite, so I am writing this review to warn others. I was called at 7pm the night before going to tell me to come in 2 hours earlier because a staff member's aunt had passed away and they had to reschedule. I was fine with this and completely understood that it was an unfortunate situation and that things happen. I was told I would have my massage at 10:15 for an hour, then facial at 11:30 for an hour, then a pedicure at 12:45 for an hour. Afterwards, I would have lunch from 130-230 and then finally my 45 minute manicure and that I would be ready to leave by 330. The first disappointment was that I could not get a receipt as the masseuse was not an RMT. I was very surprised that they charge far more for this massage when she is not even registered. Then I went to the facial room. The facial treatment was good but did not seem like 1 hour. I did not have my watch or a clock so I cannot guarantee. My pedicure however, was at most 30 minutes when it clearly states in the package that it is a 60 minute pedicure. I was really hoping my feet would really get scrubbed and even asked the girl if she would but I was disappointed. She was very friendly however. I was also a little surprised when the masseuse came into the treatment room to ask if I was having lunch. Nothing was clear to me and I assumed the employees would know more than me. Clearly they did not.
At 1:05 I went upstairs for lunch where I had to ask a man where to sit and how my lunch worked. Would I be ordering off a menu or were there a few options to choose from. I was told it was a soup and probably a salad or sandwich and even at that he didn’t seem certain. He also told me I was supposed to come for lunch at 130 and it was only 1:10 so it would be a while. I thought it was strange that there was no choice of food and that it was not posted anywhere what was being served. I am not a picky eater but the meal was embarrassing. It was a ham sandwich on sliced white bread with mayo and mustard, tomato and cucumber that I would make myself for lunch to go to work. The bread was stale. It had clearly been left out, and was so stale that at first I thought it was lightly toasted…but it wasn’t. I believe the soup was squash soup with maybe some curry powder? Not even sure but because of how runny it was, and because I’ve had it before, I knew it was a boxed soup, like from Campbell’s or V8, and it must have been no name or low sodium because it tasted like nothing. I never salt my food and had to ask the man (Who I’m still not even sure was a waiter) for salt and pepper. Then underneath my warm soup and sandwich was a few leaves of spring mix with a raspberry vinaigrette that I have in my refrigerator at home. It was ok but not restaurant worthy. And certainly NOT worth 18 $. Dessert was Chapman’s sorbet with a dribble of Nesquick chocolate syrup and 2 grapes. I don’t think chocolate goes with sorbet but that may be just me.
Sitting behind me was a group of ladies who enjoyed their “lunch” while laughing at how pathetic it was. After 45 minutes at their table they had to ask the man if they could order drinks. Around 230 (when I was supposed to go for my manicure, the lady who had done my facial and pedicure came up. She said she would take another client and that I would be next. After the woman’s 1 hour pedicure! I had already been sitting by myself in the small dining room for over an hour and a half and was told I would get my manicure in 1 more hour. This was unacceptable. Now had I been offered to use the hot tub or sauna, I wouldn’t have minded so much, but when I asked what I could do in the meantime she said I could sit in the dining room, or go back downstairs to the waiting room or go outside. (It was 15 degrees). I finally told her that I was meeting my husband around 330 so I could not wait until almost 4 for my manicure. And I asked for a refund. She was reluctant but I was persistent in not being able to stay so she said she would refund the portion or the manicure which was 46$. I find that exorbitant for a standard manicure, no paraffin, nothing special. I asked her for a receipt proving the refund and I did get it luckily.
When I asked about speaking with the manager or owners, I was told they live in France. This makes me wonder how they can ensure great customer service at their spa in Canada when they are not even in the same country. Very strange.
I was so upset that this was my birthday present and felt terrible for my husband who wanted to do something extra special for me this year and decided to splurge on this spa package instead of another spa in the city which most likely would have cost less and been a much better experience.
I hope NO ONE EVER goes to this spa and loses their money like I did. I don’t mind paying for something if it’s quality and enjoyable but I can’t stop thinking about how I just wasted 250$ for nothing, that I could have spent spoiling my daughter and my family with instead of throwing it away! I WILL NEVER BE GOING HERE AGAIN and will do everything I can to make sure they understand that they cannot take advantage of people like they did to me and many other people!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank CW1232013
BourgetSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Hi CW1232013,

We regret of your disappointment. While we have served over two thousand people in the last three months yet we are always looking for ways to improve and share our Classy Country Bourget Inn & Spa experience.

We do our best to make experiences for our guests as sunny as we can.

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a Beautiful Bright day !
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just spent two nights at the Bourget Inn and Spa with two girlfriends I would like to say that I had a wonderful time!!! The inn was clean and the food was great. The spa services were excellent and I had no problem obtaining a receipt for my massage treatment. The owners were very attentive and even gave me a slice of cake with a candle for my birthday on Saturday night!! I would definitely recommend the the Bourget Inn and Spa Resort.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank OhCanadaEh2008
Hi OhCanadaEh2008,

Thank you for celebrating your special day with us. We are pleased that you had a wonderful time at the Inn and Spa and that you enjoyed your spa services. We look forward to welcoming you in near future and many more Birthdays to come.

Have a wonderful day!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourget
Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
#1 of 1 in Rockland
Auberge Montebello
Auberge Montebello
#5 of 5 in Montebello

Been to The Bourget Inn & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!