We stayed at Glenfinnan House Hotel for 2 days and found it an absolutely fantastic place to stay. We enjoyed sunny days and warm nights and this good weather may have contributed to our thoughts on this hotel, but not so much. Situated beside Loch Shiel and a short distant from the Glenfinnan monument this hotel is considerably better than excellent. The main lawn leading down to the lake had deer grazing on it when we arrived and walking into the high entrance porch you are greeted with reminders of the origins of this building - for the privledged few in a time when life for most was much harder. Enter the entrance hall with its huge fireplace and magnificent staircase and you are greeted as though you are the owner of such a grand building. Our bedroom - the size of a tennis court (or so it seemed) looked over the loch and the hills towards Ben Nevis. The bathroom was bigger than most peoples lounges with efficient plumbing. Dinner was in keeping with the building with almost faultless cooking that should warrant a one Michelin star - the ambiance of the restaurant was enhanced by a large window overlooking the lake and joy of joys a reasonably priced wine list. The bar here - also used by the 'locals' - stocks far more different whiskeys than anyone could sample not only in two night but in a week.
In summary a quite, enchanting, hotel oozing with charm that is close to being the definitive Country House Hotel. Will I return - absolutely yes (just hope they find a room for me!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Scottish Highlands, Glenfinnan House Hotel is a beautiful 18th century pine-panelled mansion house situated in its own grounds overloooking Loch Shiel, Ben Nevis and the Glenfinnan Monument.This award-winning establishment, renowned for its fine cuisine and hospitality, has something to offer everyone; from a quiet retreat or romatic break, a walking/cycling/sightseeing holiday,the celebration of an idyllic wedding or the simple enjoyment of a delicious meal.Four poster suite, four poster bedroom, family suites are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Glenfinnan House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glenfinnan Hotel Fort William
- Glenfinnan House Hotel Scotland