Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
US$50
US$259
US$226
Cancelon
Plaza Real Resort(Juan Dolio)
US$40
US$35
Orbitz.com
US$218
Hotels.com
Hotel River View(La Romana)
US$64
Emotions by Hodelpa(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$175
  • Breakfast included
US$204
US$151
  • Breakfast included
Hodelpa Garden Suites(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$103
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
4,551 results
All reviewsla romanapool barbad reviewsseafooda la carte restaurantssanto domingoanimation teamcatalina islandgrand bahiabuffet restaurantrecommend this resortan excursionnight showsmichael jackson showbeefnightly entertainmentwater aerobics
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The water at the beach was nice and warm but it was brown!! The service was slow but they were nice. The resort sits on a small slab of a beach still under lots of construction. So the trip was good because of the value but not blown away.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Pool:Average
Beach: Above Average
Ocean: Horrid
Staff: Entertainment Above Average the rest were Average
For the price it was decent. The Ocean was a major let down. If you have ever been to the Jersey shore the waier there is better.This hotel sits on a cove and has a river that empties not far from the resort so the water is very cloudy and filled with seaweed. The rooms were ok the bathroom dooors in all 3 rooms we booked did not shut fully. The food was OK BUFFET Is the best bet. The staff as far as entertainment was amazing, The maids always forgot something mainly towels. Due to this resort being so cheap you get a lot of locals that stay from friday to saturday and the come in droves take over the entire resort. It's a shame as they have some talented staff members in all areas but can't get passed the ocean and how dark it was. I go to teh Carib I expect to see the ocean bottom not at this resort. as always a $5 tip at the bar gets you ibn the bartenders good graces(meaning less chance you will pay extra for top shelf) I have been to many places an dunfortunately La Romana will not be a return visit. Going to teh Occidental in Punta Cana but I still think Excellence Punta Cana was the best so far

Room Tip: If you want clear water do the snorkel trip. Go with teh guys on teh beach as they get the best prices! Do not use the jet skis unless you see them working properly. Bring cash I heard too many complaints about ATM and then not being able to get good deals if you used your credit or ATM card. Had a great tiem with chocaltey and Juan but sorry boys I won't be back there the ocean killed it for me
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fasteddieNy
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was recently at the Grand Bahia November 14-18th with a group of co-worker's for a girls trip. Like most people, before heading to the resort, I scoured tripadvisor looking to the reviews to give me a general idea of what to expect. Needless to say, I was a little nervous. I have been to many all inclusives before, so I was worried when the reviews I read had headlines like "Stay Away", "Bad Food", "Awful Beach", among the throngs of others. However, the trip was booked so I was on my way regardless (with fingers crossed).
We arrived to the Santo Domingo airport, and with little trouble, we were on our way to the Resort with transportation through CheapCarribean. The drive was about 45 minutes away and was an adventure within itself! Upon reaching the hotel, we were warmly greeted with dancers outside, and our bags were whisked away promptly. We checked in privately, and Stephanie made the brocess a breeze (as a side note, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Gold Club membership - throughout our stay we were treated like royalty!), recieved a great welcome cocktail, and were taken to our rooms on a golf cart ride. Although the rooms are not chic and modern, they are clean, spacious and ours was situated beautifully with views of the beach.
The pool is HUGE. It is very well maintained with an awesome swim up bar that is staffed with the one and only Santiago. He may be the world's best bartender :-) He was always friendly, dancing, and you could tell he loved his job. Ruddy was also fantastic! The drinks were good and the atmosphere can't be beat. Although I spent most of my time at the pool, the beach is also gorgeous. It is true that the water isn't the crystal clear blue you expect out of the carribean, but that is because the river flows into it. We went on the Saona Island tour (which is a must - thanks Elias for getting us to go!) The excursion is unbelievable and the beauty of the beach/water/people is unsurpassed. Our tour guide Nelson was fantastic, as was our photographer, Michael. If you take nothing else from this review, take this - GO TO SAONA ISLAND.
The buffet at the Resort was plentiful with tons of variety. I can't imagine how reviews on here say that is was awful and unedible - it's great. The same goes with the restaurants on site. The French, Italian, and Seafood restaurants all require a reservation that must be made a day in advance, and they are all delicious with wonderful staff.
As far as the reviews that say it's impossible to communicate with the staff due to their lack of English? For the most part, staff was able to communicate in English enough for the non-spanish speaking (like me) to understand. However, it is easier if you learn a few key words/phrases in Spanish regardless, since you are travelling to a spanish-speaking country.
The nightly entertainment at the hotel is also great. The Michael Jackson Tribute is a must see!
For the price, this hotel is an UNBELIEVABLE deal. The people are great (Michael, Santiago, Israel, Ruddy, Stephanie, Franklin, Elias, just to name a few), the atmosphere is great, and the views can't be beat. I'm convinced that all the bad reviews were just written so they could have the resort all to themselves :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank ehcmarie24
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Loved the Resort, the service, the food!!Grand Bahia Principe went out of their way to make our trip comfortable. From Santiago at the bar, to Israel at the restaurant, to Michael on our catamaran excursion, it was fantastic. I didn't mind the minor power outages, nor the tepid, warm water. When on the Islands, enjoy the great service, food, drink and the beautiful view!

Room Tip: Expect temporary power outages and tepid showers, it's 80 to 90 degrees!! If the remote doesn't work, get out of the room!!! Really, the villa on the beach had an awesome view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TerryMoma
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The grounds are gorgeous. The staff is well over 90 percent extremely friendly. Our room and balcony were spacious and clean. If you want something then ask someone as they are willing to help.
Do not go near or talk to the sales people positioned near the main buffett restaurant.
I found the food adequate but she disliked it.
Do not have the water, drinks with ice or brush your teeth with tap water as we both got sick. If you want a doctor it is $100 for the visit plus any extras.
The beach water has jellyfish which stung 3 people while we were their.
We did hang out at the pool which was very large and very clean surrounded by Thatch beach umbrellas which a 5 minute downpour of rain could not penetrate.
Absolutely gorgeous.
The A La Carte restaurants had fabulous wine menus. The food was a challenge ( she did not like it and actually lost weight while there) and they allowed me to send mine back one night. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I will not return.