All reviews at home south africa addo elephant park great place would highly recommend staying here within walking distance three days golf course bushman sands golfing weekend eli accommodation shamwari
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed with Eli and John in March, and were treated to fantastic hospitality with lovely accommodation. We have been visiting Alicedale for the past 10 years - normally staying at Bushman Sands Hotel, but Addo Reach is a much more friendly and more comfortable. We didn't want to leave. Eli and John are the perfect hosts and lovely people.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My boyfriend, Peter and I, stayed at Addo Reach from 24 to 26 Feb 2014, so that we could visit the Addo Elephant Park. We were blown away by the great hospitality of John and Eli, who made sure that we felt at home there. The bed was so comfortable that we didn't feel like leaving it. The bath in the bathroom was lovely. The breakfast and dinner prepared by Eli were sumptuous and of generous portions! Peter and I were very delighted with the picnic lunch thoughtfully assembled by Eli, for our 1-day visit of Addo Elephant Park. We were also surprised that the food and drinks were very reasonably charged. Coupled with the great service, it was definitely a value-for-money B&B to stay in.

I'm a Singaporean, and was glad to be able to share snippets of Singapore with John, Eli and Gran, who had stayed in Singapore for a short while. We had lots of fun chatting over drinks. I was sad to leave Addo Reach, but will definitely go back there again to stay and catch up with them!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy L
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Whilst travelling in South Africa last month with a friend I was lucky enough to stay in Alicedale at Eli & Johns place. Lucky for me because my friend had stayed there before and knew we would be in good hands - however nothing had prepared me for the level of care and hospitality which I was to experience. The welcome we received was both warm and genuine and from that first moment we were looked after as though we were V.I.P's (something I could easily get used to!!). Nothing was too much trouble and both Eli and John went over and above the call of duty to ensure our visit to Alicedale was perfect in every way.
The highlight of the visit there was however for me, the drive from their home through what I now call "The Real Africa" to Addo. During this memorable journey we were transported through the geography books of my childhood to the reality of this fascinating Eastern Cape where the Tumbleweed runs freely, - the "Nguni" cows command right of way when crossing roads - "Springbok" dance as freely in the fields as do our lambs at home, and numerous other delights which we would never have experienced had we stayed in the nearby Addo town. This leisurely drive was a wonderful introduction to the delights we were to then enjoy during our tour around a section of the huge National Park (which stretches to the coast line and boasts the approximate size of Wales,) and where we saw numerous animals in their national habitat. (Elephants, Zebras, Lions, Giraffes, Dung-beetles, Red Hartebeests, Warthogs, Impala, to name but a few). However their was an unexpected pleasure to follow :- the return journey - which was a time to savour and digest the delights of our day as we once more meandered peacefully through the magnificent country-side back to our little piece of heaven, "Addo Reach" and to John's welcoming bar, Eli's fabulous cooking, and a wonderful nights sleep between cool crisp cotton sheets. What more can I say other than if - and hopefully I will, ever return to that part of the world, I shall be booking in early to ensure I can return also to my new friends Eli and John. I highly recommend you search them out, you will not be disappointed and if you do visit them, please give them my love!

Room Tip: In The case of Addo Reach there aren't any tips needed as everything has been thoroughly researched for your comfort by Eli and John and to coin a phrase "You will want for Nothing".
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Moira I
Eli K, Owner at Addo Reach and Hein's Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Good morning!! You brought quite a tear to our eye and thank you for your generosity .... we enjoyed your company too, and look forward to your success in persuading 'your man' to venture to this beautiful part of our wonderful country in the not too distant future! All the warmest, Eli and John and Gran sends wishes too.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here for a golfing weekend with the family. Would highly recommend Eli's place. So much atention 2 detail and everything has been thought of. Enjoyed a few drinks and a nice chat at John's bar. Cherry on top was the lovely mince pies Eli made us for padkos. We will be back :-)

Room Tip: Please ignore coments on pool and fitness centre as there are none but i couldnt remove the comments for some reason
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Vanessa P
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We were lucky enough to stay at Addo Reach recently when touring with my family in South Africa. My sister had stayed there before and raved about it and she was completely right. From the minute we arrived to a much need cold drink to the minute we left it was just perfect. We stayed in Hein's cottage their self catering unit though we had breakfast in the house each day. The cottage was just wonderfull. We had a lovely sitting room and huge bedroom and bathroom. There was a great little private terrace outside with a built in BBQ and Eli and John organised 'braai packs' for us each evening with fantastic meats and salads, though John had to show us how to the light the thing the first time. Little silver coloured monkeys came to our terrace and birds with the most beautiful plummage. The high light of our trip was to go Addo with John as our guide. Eli prepared a picnic feast for us and John got us really up close to lots of Elephants and other beasts. He has a wealth of local knowledge. Addo is a little way from Alicedale but we saw some wondeful animals on the way including some giraffe right up next to the road. We also went to the Bornfree Foundation just a few minutes away. I don't know which I'll remember most, Eli's wonderful breakfasts with freshly baked muffins and fruit we never get to see in Ireland and the wonderful hospitality or just quaint little Alicedale with it's freindly locals who wave happily as we passed by. This was truely the highlight of our trip and all i say is JUST GO!. Thanks so much Eli, John and the gang. I hope we'll return someday. The kavanaghs, Donelgal Ireland.

Room Tip: If travelling as two couple one should take the cottage
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family