All reviews the main house at home cape town addo elephant park wonderful hosts great place fresh fruit guest house place to stay south african experience would highly recommend staying here very special place braai area stayed two nights within walking distance mince pies wonderful food
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were apparently the first people to camp here ever, but you wouldn't have known it.

Eli and John are simply the most welcoming and lovely people you could ever hope to meet. The helped us out in every way possible and welcomed us into their home.

The little bathroom built just for the campers is perfect, the grass is thick and even, the ground is flat, the neighbour's children came to help us put up the tent and John built a braai for us in the outdoor braai spot just to make life easier.

We were cycle touring through the area, and can thoroughly recommend it. There are miles and miles of beautiful, quiet dirt roads and lots of places worth going. Ask John and Eli for advice if you need it- they can pass you queries on to us.

Frankly, even if there were nothing to do here you couldn't help but have a wonderful time, because these guys are just so lovely.

Room tip: Try camping! The bathroom is lovely and the ground is very flat with lovely even grass.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed with Eli and John in March, and were treated to fantastic hospitality with lovely accommodation. We have been visiting Alicedale for the past 10 years - normally staying at Bushman Sands Hotel, but Addo Reach is a much more friendly and more comfortable. We didn't want to leave. Eli and John are the perfect hosts and lovely people.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My boyfriend, Peter and I, stayed at Addo Reach from 24 to 26 Feb 2014, so that we could visit the Addo Elephant Park. We were blown away by the great hospitality of John and Eli, who made sure that we felt at home there. The bed was so comfortable that we didn't feel like leaving it. The bath in the bathroom was lovely. The breakfast and dinner prepared by Eli were sumptuous and of generous portions! Peter and I were very delighted with the picnic lunch thoughtfully assembled by Eli, for our 1-day visit of Addo Elephant Park. We were also surprised that the food and drinks were very reasonably charged. Coupled with the great service, it was definitely a value-for-money B&B to stay in.

I'm a Singaporean, and was glad to be able to share snippets of Singapore with John, Eli and Gran, who had stayed in Singapore for a short while. We had lots of fun chatting over drinks. I was sad to leave Addo Reach, but will definitely go back there again to stay and catch up with them!

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy L
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Whilst travelling in South Africa last month with a friend I was lucky enough to stay in Alicedale at Eli & Johns place. Lucky for me because my friend had stayed there before and knew we would be in good hands - however nothing had prepared me for the level of care and hospitality which I was to experience. The welcome we received was both warm and genuine and from that first moment we were looked after as though we were V.I.P's (something I could easily get used to!!). Nothing was too much trouble and both Eli and John went over and above the call of duty to ensure our visit to Alicedale was perfect in every way.
The highlight of the visit there was however for me, the drive from their home through what I now call "The Real Africa" to Addo. During this memorable journey we were transported through the geography books of my childhood to the reality of this fascinating Eastern Cape where the Tumbleweed runs freely, - the "Nguni" cows command right of way when crossing roads - "Springbok" dance as freely in the fields as do our lambs at home, and numerous other delights which we would never have experienced had we stayed in the nearby Addo town. This leisurely drive was a wonderful introduction to the delights we were to then enjoy during our tour around a section of the huge National Park (which stretches to the coast line and boasts the approximate size of Wales,) and where we saw numerous animals in their national habitat. (Elephants, Zebras, Lions, Giraffes, Dung-beetles, Red Hartebeests, Warthogs, Impala, to name but a few). However their was an unexpected pleasure to follow :- the return journey - which was a time to savour and digest the delights of our day as we once more meandered peacefully through the magnificent country-side back to our little piece of heaven, "Addo Reach" and to John's welcoming bar, Eli's fabulous cooking, and a wonderful nights sleep between cool crisp cotton sheets. What more can I say other than if - and hopefully I will, ever return to that part of the world, I shall be booking in early to ensure I can return also to my new friends Eli and John. I highly recommend you search them out, you will not be disappointed and if you do visit them, please give them my love!

Room tip: In The case of Addo Reach there aren't any tips needed as everything has been thoroughly researched for your comfort by Eli and John and to coin a phrase "You will want for Nothing".
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Moira I
Eli K, Owner at Addo Reach and Hein's Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Good morning!! You brought quite a tear to our eye and thank you for your generosity .... we enjoyed your company too, and look forward to your success in persuading 'your man' to venture to this beautiful part of our wonderful country in the not too distant future! All the warmest, Eli and John and Gran sends wishes too.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here for a golfing weekend with the family. Would highly recommend Eli's place. So much atention 2 detail and everything has been thought of. Enjoyed a few drinks and a nice chat at John's bar. Cherry on top was the lovely mince pies Eli made us for padkos. We will be back :-)

Room tip: Please ignore coments on pool and fitness centre as there are none but i couldnt remove the comments for some reason
Date of stay: December 2012