“Paradise...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Panglao Island
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Paradise...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

What can I say, we spent quite a few nights at Boracay. It was nice, but i was begining to get tired of the same old restaurants and bars.

My wife and I have been here for 5 hours and I must say I'm delighted at the quality and service of the Golden Palm Resort and of the Alona beachfront. Yes I can judge a place in just a few hours. We have extensively travelled the world and stayed at many resorts from budget to luxurious. I've never felt this at home, and relaxed and that is not because of the extemely cheap and well made cocktails that the bar staff can make.

I have instantly fell in love with this resort which has only happened once before and that was at the Excellence Resort in Riviera Maya (Cancun- a 5* ultra AI resort).

The room is immaculate and of a very high standard. It is like the pictures on the website.

If visiting Alona beach I would highly recommend this resort. No, it is not beach front, and quite frankly that is a bonus. The pool area is lovely and well maintained. It is a 2min walk to the beach, which brings you out at the end of Alona, just next to Philippine fun divers and Lost Horizon resort. From here you get to enjoy the serenity of the resort and excellent bar area, yet are just a short stroll to the beach and the extensive choice of restaurants.

There are afew dogs which live here, but are extremely friendly and well behaved (i am a cat person) If you pet them you will have a friend for life.

oh yeh, the music at the bar is pretty good too :)

(photos to follow)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tynanrw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights and four days at the resort's superior deluxe room which was just steps away from the pool. Our kids swam to their heart's content while my husband and I relaxed. We felt like we were guests at someone's house.

The resort was very private and quiet, very much what we wanted. The grounds had beautiful landscaping. The bar/ restaurant was quite inviting. Everone at the resort including husband and wife owners were constantly busy cleaning and sprucing up the place. Everyone was friendly and welcoming including their three active dogs.

The rooms were clean and simple and quite modern.
We will definitely come back and stay at this resort again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank cbmaria
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

Our main concern when looking for accomodation is that the room is clean - it doesn't have to be fancy just simple and clean. We stayed in the Presidential Suite for 4 nights and it is an amazing room. Very clean, big and comfortable. It's on the top floor of the building, so you have to walk up some stairs. The building is brand new and very well constructed. The room was so relaxing to stay in.

The Suite has two large beds (for up to 4 people, though there were only 2 of us) and the bathroom has two sinks. The floor of the room has large white tiles giving you a feeling of lightness and cleanliness. There is also a balcony that overlooks the swimming pool (you have to share the balcony with the room next door).

We usually ate out for lunch and dinner, but did have breakfast at the resort, which was very nice. As the resort is small, it didn't feel overcrowded - it was nice and peaceful. Some resorts along the beach may be quite noisy as there seems to be more live music. I agree with one of the other reviewerss - that it was like staying in someone's home - a luxurious one at that!

It's a short walk to the beach (down some steps) and through another resort (only 2 - 3 minutes), so the location was perfect for us.

The owner (Tata) and all the staff were friendly and polite. They have two lovely dogs as well.

We hope we can stay there again (for our 7th visit to Panglao)!

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kwaibigmonkey
vallejo, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

I spent a lot of times researching where to stay in Bohol and this hotel got my attention because of the first reviewer. I checked their website and I like everything that I saw so I decided to stay here. We arranged for a pickup from the hotel which was a good idea since outside the airport can get really chaotic and its very reasonable. We were met promptly and driven about 30 minutes to the resort. We were very happy to see the resort was almost brand new and the rooms were very clean and modern. The bed sheets were very clean and pillows very comfy. The bathroom was also contemporary in design and towels were large and soft. The hotel has no reception area and you conduct all your business in the pool area. We met Barry and Tata who were the resort owners and they treat you like long time friends and it feels like I was staying in their house instead of a hotel. It was later on that I found out that it was really their house too. lol. The resort is just a few steps away from the beach and we would normally have dinner on the beach but eat breakfast at the hotel. Don't be intimidated when you see the 2 dogs since they are both very very friendly. I arranged all my trips through them which is the same price elsewhere. The only concern that I have is the screen on one of the side windows which does not completely block the view of the inside of room at night specially when the lights are on. Overall I was very very happy with my decision to stay here and experience the true Filipino hospitality by staying here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eyo322
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

Thanks to the previous contributer I heard about the Golden Palm Resort and stayed there recently . It's a true boutique hotel, nestling amidst delightful grounds and only a very short walk from Alona Beach and it's multitude of beach restaurants, diving shops and nightlife . This hotel raises the bar in the Phils for other hotel owners and demonstrates what can be achieved .
Barry and Felicia, the charming and attentive owners, have created the perfect small resort hotel, paying great attention to the design detail and the comfort of their guests . The hotel building is pleasing on the eye and offers excellent rooms, all with either terraces or balconies, luxuriant shower rooms, smart bedrooms, flat screen tv, comfy beds and solid wood doors, excellent wardrobe space as well . The pool is more than ample, plenty of sun beds, a really cosy bar/restaurant and well tended lawn .
Sheryll and Katerina run the bar and restaurant with a wonderfully friendly attitude and this is followed by the rest of the staff with smiles and good manners, nothing here is too much trouble .
Everything about this place is has been so cleverly thought out and wherever one looks, from the soft thick bath towels to the smart coving on the ceilings and well stocked grounds, one can only admire the dedication of the owners . However, make sure you don't tell anyone as I would love to keep this gem for myself !
We took a banca to Pamilacan Island (1hr) and spent the day snorkelling, eating on the beach and exploring this island paradise . Lots to do on Panglao and Bohol, already well visited yet not crowded and I feel certain that tourists will flock here in even greater numbers as it's so much nicer than the vastly overrated Boracay !

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank PutneySW
Metro Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

My family decided it was time go on a vacation somewhere down south of the Philippines. And we decided to spend it in Bohol. The awesome stories about this beautiful place was too difficult to resist. Stories about the world famous Chocolate Hills, the smallest primate in the world - the Philippine Tarsier fondly called "Mamag" by the locals, the beautiful centuries-old churches, the warm hospitality of the Boholanos and so much more.

Of course, accommodations is always the first concern that comes into mind. My mind that is. And being nit picky Manilenos, we put the wagon before the horse - that we wont enjoy our vacation again because of the lousy accommodations.

Lo and behold! We found ourselves in the most beautiful, luxurious, comfortable and spanking clean resort in Bohol. The lawn was well manicured, the pool sparkling in the summer sun, the sheets all fresh and white, the AC works efficiently, the bathroom very spacious and very clean. More over, it's got all the electronic gadgets we needed, like a big plasma TV. It's also WiFi! Woohooo!

And I'm not done yet. It's just walking distance to the beach. The view is a picture perfect appetizer before one starts picking up small sea shells by the shore, snorkeling or scuba diving. Or even swimming with the dolphins.

But the cherry on the sundae is the wonderful and courteous staff. They were always ready to offer assistance to whatever we needed. That warm attention given to my family and I made this vacation truly memorable.

It has been four months since that awesome trip to Beautiful Bohol. But it would have been forgotten easily if not for the "Golden Service With a Smile" at the Golden Palm Resort.

3 Thank ponchmedina