“Past comments were all true”

Alona Golden Palm Resort
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed 19 September 2010

All the past comments were true. We ve enjoyed our stay here and they also surprised us by placing flower petals in our bed (wedding anniv)...Just a few tips, if you have concerns in the hotel go directly to tata,mariz, geneva , the boys, barry. Never go to this staff, she accomodates your concern but doesnt really act immediately. For example i was asking for an umbrella coz i think it was going to rain, she said all their umbrella were big, good thing tata overheard this and said to her it doest matter if its small or large, you get our umbrella immediately...another incident with this same person, our cable won't work, sad to say it was her on the front desk again(the kubo or bar is also there front desk), she look at the transmitter and said it looks like its broke and it would take a day to fix it bec its already night time and tagbilaran is far from here, good thing my wife calmly said go get someone who knows how to fix it...Two suggestions to tata (the owner), get a trained receptionist ,coz when we arrived (10am) ,we understand that our room hasn't been clean yet bec we were early, however nobody entertained us, we were just in the "kubo" with no one to talk to or even greet us welcome to our place..we were really turned off and even looked for other hotels in the area(we left our bag and went to the beachfront to scout for other hotel accomodation)...Good thing when we came back tata came out, she was already helping in cleaning the rooms, very apologetically talking to us...If we wern't able to talk to her we would have left the place...2nd, i think they should avail a generator, during our 2nd day of stay, by some freak incident it started to rain hard with strong winds resulting to a major black out in the area, hotels in the beachfront has generators while in goldenpalm there were no electricity, although i must admit despite the candles and torches in the hotel,the place was still very lovely. But i still think they should get a generator.......Buy your groceries at tagbilaran (BQ supermarket), very expensive at panglao in general. The price of drinks at the hotel are more cheaper than the sari sari store outside.....Other than what i have mentioned, this hotel is perfect, we've enjoyed our stay and i would still highly recommend this place.....Last tip, buy your souvenirs at the tagbilaran market and for the peanut kisses and other delicaciesat BQ supermarket...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DokGrey
There are newer reviews for Alona Golden Palm Resort

Reviewed 8 August 2010

I can only second the reviews here. This resort is a wonderful choice for people who want a little bit of luxury, and not to be in the hustle and bustle.
This resort feels more like staying at a friend's home - no wonder because as a vacation home it was originally conceived. The staff is wonderful, always helpful. The rooms are very spacious and clean, in every sense of the word - hygenically, but also decoration-wise. For us, that worked.
And if you like to get in with the party, Alona beach is only a stone-throw away. The only little ruffle in the otherwise great picture, is that the way to the beach is not glorious, it goes via relatively steep stairs and through the back of a beach-front resort. But that did not bother us. Quite the opposite - we felt like we stayed in a secret hide-away.
One more comment on Alona beach: We stayed here 7 years ago, and it was beautiful. Since then it has gotten more busy. The beachfront is now crowded with more resorts and restaurants, the water is quite busy with (dive) boats, and occasionally has sea grass. The latter is taken care of by the locals over night efficiently though. The good thing of this development is of course that there is plenty of things to do for all ages (watersports, excursions, massage, several good restaurants and bars). But if you look for a deserted and pristine white beach, Alona is no longer for you. No worries, there is plenty left in the Philippines.
All in all - we will be back !!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TRTL
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We recently went to Panglao and bought property. We have stayed at several resorts. This one is our favorite, we enjoyed every minute there. I agree with the previous reviews, this is off Alona beach which is a real plus. A short stroll and you are on Alona beach. At night you can retire to the quiet and peaceful Alona Golden Palm.

The staff is friendly, the dogs also. The pool is great, better then swimming in the ocean. The rooms are comfortable and have a modern decor. All rooms have satellite, and flat screen TV.

We stayed there for my birthday and it really is a home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skyride99
Reviewed 13 June 2010

What can I say, we spent quite a few nights at Boracay. It was nice, but i was begining to get tired of the same old restaurants and bars.

My wife and I have been here for 5 hours and I must say I'm delighted at the quality and service of the Golden Palm Resort and of the Alona beachfront. Yes I can judge a place in just a few hours. We have extensively travelled the world and stayed at many resorts from budget to luxurious. I've never felt this at home, and relaxed and that is not because of the extemely cheap and well made cocktails that the bar staff can make.

I have instantly fell in love with this resort which has only happened once before and that was at the Excellence Resort in Riviera Maya (Cancun- a 5* ultra AI resort).

The room is immaculate and of a very high standard. It is like the pictures on the website.

If visiting Alona beach I would highly recommend this resort. No, it is not beach front, and quite frankly that is a bonus. The pool area is lovely and well maintained. It is a 2min walk to the beach, which brings you out at the end of Alona, just next to Philippine fun divers and Lost Horizon resort. From here you get to enjoy the serenity of the resort and excellent bar area, yet are just a short stroll to the beach and the extensive choice of restaurants.

There are afew dogs which live here, but are extremely friendly and well behaved (i am a cat person) If you pet them you will have a friend for life.

oh yeh, the music at the bar is pretty good too :)

(photos to follow)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tynanrw
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights and four days at the resort's superior deluxe room which was just steps away from the pool. Our kids swam to their heart's content while my husband and I relaxed. We felt like we were guests at someone's house.

The resort was very private and quiet, very much what we wanted. The grounds had beautiful landscaping. The bar/ restaurant was quite inviting. Everone at the resort including husband and wife owners were constantly busy cleaning and sprucing up the place. Everyone was friendly and welcoming including their three active dogs.

The rooms were clean and simple and quite modern.
We will definitely come back and stay at this resort again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cbmaria
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Our main concern when looking for accomodation is that the room is clean - it doesn't have to be fancy just simple and clean. We stayed in the Presidential Suite for 4 nights and it is an amazing room. Very clean, big and comfortable. It's on the top floor of the building, so you have to walk up some stairs. The building is brand new and very well constructed. The room was so relaxing to stay in.

The Suite has two large beds (for up to 4 people, though there were only 2 of us) and the bathroom has two sinks. The floor of the room has large white tiles giving you a feeling of lightness and cleanliness. There is also a balcony that overlooks the swimming pool (you have to share the balcony with the room next door).

We usually ate out for lunch and dinner, but did have breakfast at the resort, which was very nice. As the resort is small, it didn't feel overcrowded - it was nice and peaceful. Some resorts along the beach may be quite noisy as there seems to be more live music. I agree with one of the other reviewerss - that it was like staying in someone's home - a luxurious one at that!

It's a short walk to the beach (down some steps) and through another resort (only 2 - 3 minutes), so the location was perfect for us.

The owner (Tata) and all the staff were friendly and polite. They have two lovely dogs as well.

We hope we can stay there again (for our 7th visit to Panglao)!

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kwaibigmonkey
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I spent a lot of times researching where to stay in Bohol and this hotel got my attention because of the first reviewer. I checked their website and I like everything that I saw so I decided to stay here. We arranged for a pickup from the hotel which was a good idea since outside the airport can get really chaotic and its very reasonable. We were met promptly and driven about 30 minutes to the resort. We were very happy to see the resort was almost brand new and the rooms were very clean and modern. The bed sheets were very clean and pillows very comfy. The bathroom was also contemporary in design and towels were large and soft. The hotel has no reception area and you conduct all your business in the pool area. We met Barry and Tata who were the resort owners and they treat you like long time friends and it feels like I was staying in their house instead of a hotel. It was later on that I found out that it was really their house too. lol. The resort is just a few steps away from the beach and we would normally have dinner on the beach but eat breakfast at the hotel. Don't be intimidated when you see the 2 dogs since they are both very very friendly. I arranged all my trips through them which is the same price elsewhere. The only concern that I have is the screen on one of the side windows which does not completely block the view of the inside of room at night specially when the lights are on. Overall I was very very happy with my decision to stay here and experience the true Filipino hospitality by staying here.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple