“Overrated Alona Beach”

US$38.00*
and up
Bohol Panglao Island Tour
Reviewed 14 July 2014

There's really nothing wrong with this beach, it has whitesand, crystal clear water a lot if hotels and restaurant. Its similar to a little boracay but not quite. It can be very crowded too. The beach stretch is very limited that you walk from end to wnd in 10 minutes. The beachfront is not very swimmable because of sea grass. There are also a lot of boats on the shore. I would still prefer (dumaluan/bolod beach which has better and finer sand and clearer waterts)

Write a ReviewReviews (2,096)

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Alona beach is just like boracay and puerto galera when it comes to feel and look of the beach. Only when high tide Alona's shore line gets really small. Which makes it hard to swim. But the sand is fine and white, the water is very clear. Go to dumaluan for a day of beach bumming..

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Different kind of food to choose.love the band.kinda little bit crowded now.but we have great time spend dinner there,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I liked the general experience of my 2 weeks in Alona beach. Walking on the beach at sunrise with my fiancee was a great experience. Food was good, although a little more expensive than I was expecting . I love the people, ok they want your pesos, but I did not find them overly bothersome. After a few days a couple of the vendors would ask me with a smile, it was nearly a game. And when I actually did book the tour they were very surprised.

I didn't see any dolphins, but the Balicasag and Virgin Islands beauty made up for it. As for the evenings, I loved eating on the beach at the different restaurants. My fiancee actually got me to try some seafood, I never would of dared before, and I loved it.

So this year it will be off to Palawan, I hope I like it as much as my time at Alona beach.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had high hopes of finding a great beach town, but we're let down. Like others have said, the beach isn't the best for swimming, you have to deal with pushy vendors all day and night, and it is crowded. Cost is more expensive here for average food too. The beach has some pollution, but isn't too bad. We rented a motorbike and visited other beaches around the island and found beaches littered with broken glass and trash that we couldn't get into the water.

We also were very disappointed with the dolphin, Balicasag Island snorkeling and Virgin Island boat tour. We searched for a vendor who was selling the trip for a reasonable cost and wasn't too shady. We asked which boat was his and about all the additional costs for the trip, which there are many. The morning of the captain said he didn't have a full boat so we couldn't go. We pushed back and told us we could go on another boat but it would cost more, which weren't going to pay. This was the co on theme on the beach in the morning. It seemed like all groups were asking for money back and upset. After about a hour we finally joined another boat. Once we got to Balicasag our cost to enter the "marine sanctuary" increased from 150 to 200 pesos person. They row you about 100 ft off shore to snorkel when you could just swim out. To make it worse, we were disturbed by the amount of guides and tourist who were standing on the coral, no wonder there is so much dead coral! There are many better places to snorkel and this wouldn't be in my top ten list.

It is a shame that the Filipinos here don't realize that by not polluting and destroying their sea, they are just hurting their income by turning off tourists. Virgin Island was great and the tour was still great despite the bitter taste in our mouth.

For references, what we paid in July for the tour was PHP400 for tour with fins, most people we repaying at least an additional PHP100 for fins. The "entrance fee" was PHP200 which included the row boat in. We heard prices as high as PHP1000 which wouldn't include anything else. Just be warned, all the tour operators are scam artists so make sure you ask questions before agreeing to a tour.

1  Thank pistilloyd