“Rustic ambience and a breathtaking view.”
Review of Amarela Resort

Amarela Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Panglao Island
Manila, Philippines
“Rustic ambience and a breathtaking view.”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed at Amarela for the last night of our Panglao trip. I booked Amarela based on a few comments from friends and reviews online, since I liked romantic and homey the look of the place.
The rooms were lovely, and I am guessing the owners are very particular with how they live - there was a provision for everything and anything. Since I travelled with the husby, three daughters ages 10, 9, and 3 plus the nanny we requested for an adjoining room. At first they said we would have to wait a few hours to get the adjoining room due to a wedding happening the next day. Later on they were able to transfer us ASAP. I kind of had to talk to the room boy to hasten the transfer since the front desk kept giving me excuses.
The beach front was beautiful and private, the size was just right and my kids really enjoyed playing in the powdery white beach. If only for this post card perfect beach, our stay here was so worth it.They had a pool with a lifeguard, which the kids loved as well.
FOOD: For lunch we at at the cabana near the pool. Food prices were like Manila prices. As for the taste - it was ok, but nothing remarkable. But don't take my advise, my husband is a NY trained chef, so our excitement level for food is rather high.
In the evening we had dinner at the ground floor resto, as usual my husband ordered practically the whole menu. Food quality was alright, but not quite memorable. If you want to leave the resort to eat out, you can pay a hotel van (PhP500 or USD10) to take you to the local restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Toccata100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Walnut, California
Reviewed 20 May 2011

One of our best stop. It is very relaxing the room and food are great. The staff are really nice, helpful and friendly. This is the place to stop if you are looking to relax.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dannie65_95
Reviewed 2 May 2011

it's worth the price. the food is great. staff are very friendly and handled our booking/requests quite well. i love the room and the bathroom's real clean and nice. the dvd collection which was free to borrow was a treat as well. the infinity pool's not quite infinity looking but it was still a good pool, and the beach was heavenly as well. views from the hotel's top floor are breathtaking. everything looks just as how you see it in their website-- nice, nice, nice! perfect place to unwind.

Room Tip: call the hotel
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mariantler
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I had been in the resort for 5 days. It was really a peaceful vacation. The rooms were a bit small but cozy and peaceful.

Nice environment, friendly staffs, very helpful. There is a DVD library, can bring videos to the room without any additional charges. A perfect way for leisure.

The good part is that they have their private boat and guide who can bring you to the nice spot in the sea where you can feed fishes. Its a remarkable experiences. I am a SCUBA diver but is convinced about the marine life near the beach, my family really enjoyed feeding fishes. But be careful of sea urchins on the beach.

However, travelers who wants to enjoy crowd and night life, this place might not be of good choice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debojyoti_DJ
Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I was totally satisfied with my recent stay at the Amarela. Their service was above was was expected -- from the complimentary airport pick-up and drop-off to day-to-day interactions with the hotel staff -- everyone was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. Upon check-in, we were given complimentary drinks and taken on a room tour by one of the hotel staff. The room was very clean and comfortable. Since we arrived early in the day, we had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and were happy with the menu options. The fruit shakes were delicious and the English breakfast is a great way to get one's vacation day started. I especially enjoyed the hotel details: from the traditional wood carved decorations in each room to the upstairs balcony and library, all public areas within the Amarela felt like we were in a home, not in a hotel. It was very comfortable and I felt relaxed immediately upon entering the resort.

The pool facilities were very nice and a good place to sunbathe, but my favorite part of the hotel was the stretch of private beach. The hotel's location (east of the more crowded and built-up resort areas of Panglao Island) allowed us to enjoy the beach without interruption. For the most part, my friends and I were the only guests on the beach and in the water -- it really felt like we had the place to ourselves. We definitely preferred this over the hustle and bustle towards the western tip of the island. Even better are the kayaks and hammocks which can be used by hotel guests -- coming in from an ocean swim and taking an undisturbed nap on a hammock = amazing!

It was easy to arrange activities through the front desk staff: island hopping, dolphin watching, trip to the Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella, etc. They offer a wide-range of activity options at decent prices and with trusted drivers to take you wherever you need to go.

Traveling with friends for a 3-day holiday, my priority was to spend as much time relaxing on the beach and that was easily facilitated the Amarela. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a beach getaway.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank shsiao05
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I've always loved going to Bohol. It never fails to rest a weary heart like mine. For the past years, I would always make sure that I'd stay in Amarela. Nothing beats the peacefulness and the feeling that you're just at home.

Cleanliness has always been an issue for Amarela. I was able to talk to the owner's wife, and she said that, cleanliness is something that she's very strict about as it showcases the person, place or even thing.

Service I would say is very great as they are extremely helpful. They call, and text me to confirm of our itinerary and reservations. I also asked if they could help me out get a better rate as we had some selected destinations and didn't need the full tour.

I gave location a high grade as I don't need to go clubbing in Bohol. If I wanted to, I would just go to Boracay instead. It can be difficult when you have guests with you, who have never been to Bohol, as they would want to see the Alona side.

For Value, yes, the meals are a bit steep. I would say the rooms were just perfect, and by golly, the restrooms were the best ones I've ever seen.

My friends were always wanting to go back to the room and sleep.. that itself shows how comfortable their rooms are. I will always go back to Amarela.

Thank God their wifi is so much better now! I remember going before and always had a hard time. As for the slowness like what other people have said, it's the province, everyone's slow. :)

You have to order their herb chicken! It's the best! Sadly, we weren't able to try it as we were in a hurry to have lunch. :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank margauxie
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I am a very stressed and weary worker and traveller, and I just needed a place to relax, have some peace and quiet, away from the crowd, simple yet sophisticated atmosphere, great food, warm people, and voila - i found them all here at Amarela - just the place that i have been looking for!

I could literally live here! It is just perfect. I have been to many places and countries and I have never felt so home until I found Amarela.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends