“Awful experience”

Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went today, 3 x adults and 2x children. Visit over in 10 minutes. Only 3 chimps and lots baboons doing not a lot £25 wasted and disappointed children. Could have been a great day out if staff had thought of putting on activities -get ur brains in gear, not even a cafe!

6  Thank Rhonwen B
in 14 reviews
"thank goodness"
"lovely visit"

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We called here on an of chance to find a well run sanctuary of monkeys which are well fed, clean and well looked after. Having had a rough start to life these animals, arriving from all over the world, show no sign of what they have been through.
Staff are most helpful answering questions and telling us much about individuals. Finished of with a coffee and cake in there little café.
Don't expect a massive place with hundreds of animals because this is on a much smaller scale but the work these people are putting into it makes it well worth the visit will definitely call again

1  Thank LJBCarmarthenshire
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband bought me a "Keeper for the Day" experience and it was the best present I've ever had.

First I'll address a couple of the negative comments before I review my amazing day. @Jo Dickinson - the animals have been rescued, from laboratories, from nightclubs in the far east where they've been performing and other neglectful settings. They're very well cared for in the sanctuary (not a zoo). Their is food in the cages BUT they are cleaned out at least daily (I know, we did it). They aren't fed the pellets that animals in zoos tend to have in the daytime so that the cages appear cleaner than they should really normally be. The owners take NO money from the charity, no wages and in fact have put considerable funds of their own into the zoo. The "gas guzzling" car is paid for from their own income.
@GrandmaD0 - the charity runs on minimal staff. It has to. There's simply not the funds to bring in a good charity director. I'm a charity director - I take a good salary. However I bring in at least 4 times my salary income into the charity. There's an economic crisis, its harder and harder to raise funds and unless a charity can support a director until funds start to come in its never going to work. The place is a PRIVATE sanctuary - it doesn't claim to be a catch all destination. If they didn't do this work they will be put to sleep and they're regularly asked to take animals. The costs of this are mainly met b entrance fees etc.

Right - now that my rant is over I'll move onto the good stuff. It is a relatively small place and is set on an old farm. At the entrance there's the charity shop where you can buy crisps, ice cream, fizzy drinks. If anyone is interested in the keeper day with an overnight stay there's a menu in the room for a pub/restaurant. I cant remember the name but it was really great.

On our tour, led by Nicola (who was truly informative and fabulous). We did so much in the day and when it ended I just wanted to do it again (we will be back!). We got to see racoons, porcupine, the farm dog but the real treats for me were the monkeys. Nicola told us about each animal, their history and their personalities. We got to see the baboons and the mandrill. It's clear from what she told us that their well being was paramount and an awful lot of work goes into making sure each animal is in the right friendship group and if not they're actively looking to do so.

We paid a visit to the chimps and Tubman seemed to take a shine to me, that's what I was told after I got mud thrown at me, twice. Apparently he likes feet and mine were on show (I got a foot tickle from him). I didn't care about the mud at all and had expected far more than that (I won't go into the detail!). I did get to give him a cup of tea and a food bar.

We got to prepare some of the food for some of the monkeys before getting to go in with them. We went in with the marmosets who were beautiful little things despite being a bit whiffy! Some of their stories were truly shocking so to see them being well cared for and rehabilitated was marvelous.

We went in with the Lemurs who I adore - I've had a few visits to the Lemurs and sponsor one. They were very cheeky taking their treats in the order that they liked them before discarding the stuff they didnt. It was lovely having the opportunity to stroke and feed these beautiful animals.

Next were the capuchins, again with horrific stories. I did fall in love with Luke who decided he'd sit on me for most of my visit. My husband had an altercation with Bert who decided to snatch the tub of monkey nuts for himself but then did pass the empty tub back.

It was a horrible wet day, I really didnt care. Nicola, our guide was patient while I asked countless questions. The keeper day is really such good value for money, particularly when compared to some of the zoos. It's not a commercial zoo with all the facilities, its a sanctuary and I'd really really recommend it. I can't wait to go back and we're now looking at dates for our next visit!

4  Thank JoGP70
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary and Study Centre is located in the Upper Swansea Valley, fourteen miles North of Swansea, in the Brecon Beacons National Park, South Wales, U.K. These are animals that have been in captivity and nobody else will take them. They face being put down if we don't have them