“Good fun break”

The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Atherstone
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A great overnight with a murder mystery to solve. Excellent value, including the entertainment. Fellow guests were very friendly and everyone got into the spirit of blood spilt on the carpet ... Delicious dinner. First rate breakfast, with eggs fried to perfection. Thanks to Trudie and her colleagues.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RamblingRose47

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed over after a visit to twycross zoo with my little daughter.
We checked in on the Saturday afternoon and it was a lovely sunny day.
We visited the local pubs and sat in the beer gardens.
Th elocal folk are very friendly and gave my daughter crisps, sweets, pop etc... like they had known us for years...
The Hotel itself is brilliant... its very clean and tidy, the bar is well stocked, and the rooms are clean and comfortable...
We ate at the hstelry in the evening and the food was excellent...
The portions are proper and the beer is tops...
My daughter and I had a brilliant time as the staff were very friendly...
Breakfast was also very nice and i had to rest for an hour afterwards.
The only down side was the room is adjacent to the high st so it gets a bit noisey.
I dont mind that, but If you like it quiet as to be booked at the back of the Hotel.
On the whole, I loved the place and will be going back again... no hesitation.
Thank you for a great time...

Ian

Room Tip: Front does get a little noisey...
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights and I got a really big room on the first floor. The room and the bathroom were clean, so everything was fine.

BUT

the walls of the room act only as a privacy shield. Every noise from the outside of the room was clearly noticeable.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the first floor. They are much bigger, then the rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Max S
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights when we attended a wedding nearby. We had a wheelchair user with us who was allocated a spacious room with excellent facilities. However,there was a a raised ledge in the doorway which tripped all the non wheelchair users at one point or other.
The other room allocated to our party was a very small double with barely enough room to walk around the bed. It was also extremely hot and the window would only open a little way. We were also surprised by how noisy it was during the night .We did not sleep well as a result.
The food was good but the service was slow in the evening and one party member was served before the rest and consequently the side orders arrived too late to be eaten with her meal!
The staff were all very friendly.The car park is quite small so you are not guaranteed a space!

1  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed with my wife and another couple for a murder mystery evening. This involved an evening meal and overnight stay with breakfast. During the evening meal actors played out a "whodunit" mystery and diners had to try to deduce who the murderer was. Although it was entertaining I've been to better murder mystery events and thought it could have been better organised. We were waiting for the event to start in an outer bar area and were assured that we'd be told when to come through to the dining room. We weren't. When we did go through, we were seated on a table with four others. The actors came to the table periodically and you were supposed to ask them questions. But as our party were effectively competing with the others on the table to find and present the best evidence this arrangement was not ideal. Also I did not like the fact that you had to keep getting up to read information that was posted at various points around the room.

The hotel staff did not seem to be very well organised. They couldn't find a wine list at first and when they did two of the bottles we chose were not available! The first one we actually ordered before they found they had none but to their credit they substituted a more expensive wine at the lower price. By the time we ordered the second bottle they must have worked out what they actually had as our second choice was unavailable. The room was small but adequate, although neither my wife nor I had a good night's sleep. Our room overlooked a side street and there was a lot of noise at times during the night. Breakfast was adequate without being anything special.

The hotel itself was interesting, being an old coaching inn, and the internal decor was very good. There were many pictures depicting scenes from the Battle of Bosworth, and the rooms were named after participants. However the car park is not large enough for the number of guests and on arrival it was full.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights, one dbl. room for us, one twin for kids.

The room and bathroom were cleaned to a good standard.

Rooms have been designed to accomodate the furniture and have a small walk way around, very compact, throw two people and a suitcase in and it gets a bit Laurel and Hardy at times.

We arrived at 8.30 PM and were left standing at the reception for quite a while as the Guy behind the bar received a very long winded complaint about a delay in food arriving. As a result of this we decided to eat elsewhere.

The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced, the matress is from a Hotel bedding supplier, so must have come from the budget end of their price list. It was so hard, I would have been just as comfortable on the floor. The other room was similar and family also staying shared our feelings.

There were no matress protectors fitted, I find this a bit stomach churning.

The hot water was close to tepid and at busy periods reduced to a dribble, again this was experienced in the other room. It was impossible to run a bath, however the shower being electric with only a cold water feed was fine.

At night with the window open, we could hear something like a noisy extractor running 24hrs. Combined with the matress we had a very poor nights sleep.

The highlight of the stay was the cooked to order breakfast on the Saturday morning, however on Sunday with the hotel being busier it reverted to a fairly standard buffet / serve yourself affair. A good deal more time could have been spent by whoever empties the dishwasher when checking the cleanliness of the crockery, one dirty cup and three plates rejected suggests there is an issue here.

There was more, but if the major points listed here were sorted I think the Red Lion would be reasonable for the price. As it stands, I couldn't recommend it and would not chose to stay again.

1  Thank DavidA689
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had our wedding day here and we could not fault one bit of the day. Everything ran smoothly and Gemma the duty manager that day was a star with her cool head and she made me feel very calm (I was a bit jittery) The rest of the staff were super too. The food for our wedding breakfast was amazing and everybody commented on how delicious it was. The braised blade of beef was to die for and it was all piping hot and everybody cleared their plates. The Capellos chocolate and amoretti roulade was gorgeous too. We made the right choice for the meals.
We had a four poster room and it was lovely. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and hit the spot. Again the staff in the morning were very nice and cheerful.
We had quite a few guests stay over that night and they all said their rooms were lovely and they commented it was very good value for money.
My husband and I have eaten here a couple of times and it was very tasty. I think what makes it feel nice is the staff, they are all cheery and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atherstone
Chapel House Restaurant with Rooms
#10 of 11 in Tamworth
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth

Been to The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!