“Diabolical Service - won't be back!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #35 of 49 Restaurants in Atherstone
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Hotel with large restaurant and bistro
Warwickshire, England
“Diabolical Service - won't be back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

On Thursday 26 June my husband & I made the unfortunate decision to have lunch at the Red Lion. It wasn't too busy (I was the only customer at the bar) and waitress "Lorraine" made it quite clear that she was sooo busy entering information into the till that I would have to wait to be served. I didn't have a problem with this initially & patiently waited - although a little bemused. Eventually, I ordered 2 drinks, a cooked lunch for my husband & a sandwich for myself.
Lorraine brought the meals to us & as she walked away my husband called her back & asked for some English mustard. She again made it quite clear that this was a real inconvenience to her due to being sooo busy. Again bemused by this as it really wasn't that busy, we found it quite amusing. However, when she returned with the mustard, I realised that I needed some mayo sauce. Lorraine's abrupt & rude response was "I'm sorry I'm too busy to get that" & started to walk off!! I said "excuse me, I'm only asking for some mayo???"
"You'll have to wait!!!" Was her response this time. So I offered to fetch the mayo myself & stood up to go & get some. Lorraine looked me square in the face & said in a very condescending tone "I HAVE TO FETCH IT - YOU CAN'T!!! I'LL GET IT WHEN I CAN!!!"
At this point we were gobsmacked at the diabolical service we were receiving as paying customers.
Eventually she brought the mayo & went over to an adjacent table to have a 5 minute chat to 2 women about how they were doing with their diet regime & shared experiences of their local Slimming Clubs. Obviously sooo busy indeed???!
Like a previous review on 26.06.14 we were made to feel that if we didn't like it - then go elsewhere!! That is exactly what we will do next time!!

7 Thank TidneyGirl

“supervisor very rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We ate here today could not believe the supervisor's rudeness. Also the has menu has changed, same price but now you get 1 fishcake instead of 2. I felt very sorry for the lovely waitress who served us. It was made quite clear by supervisor that you are not important or that you matter and in fact they would rather you were not there. Even though it was lunch time and they were not busy. Very sad as although service can be slow, never been subjected to such rudeness before

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank jenn t
Leicester
“Lovely welcoming pub and restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The red lion has many areas. There is a lovely library are where you can sit, read and enjoy a coffee and chat. There is the bar where I have sat during the day and had a nice lunch with friends. This area changes at night and you can have a lovely meal in romantic lighting. The Italian restaurant is well worth a visit great service and food.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good, clean well pepared food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

A nice menu selection with fair pricing is available throughout the day.
Food can be enjoyed in the airy lounge with glass roof so it is nice and bright and decorated nicely with plants,tress and flowers.
You can also eat in the library on the comfy leather settees/chairs and enjoy some reading about the rich local history of Atherstone and surrounding areas.
Food is fresh and cleanly prepared and served on warm plates with fair portions for the reasonable prices.
Wait staff are very attentive and friendly and food is served promptly.
Not a lot to complain about,so I won't!

• Visited December 2013
Coventry
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited on Saturday 27th July at approx. 3.30pm. In total there were 8 people in our party, of which 7 of us wanted food.

Upon arrival we headed to the conservatory area at the rear, past the bar, to notice that there was a sign saying it was reserved for a function. We retreated back in to the bar area, and found 2 tables next to each other to accommodate us all. After hunting around for a few more bar menus, the choice of which was satisfactory - a selection of salads, sandwiches, jacket potatoes and a small range of 'main meals'. Once all of us had decided we went to the bar to place our order. There was only one member of staff at the bar, but she was polite and served us all quickly and efficiently. All our food was ordered and paid for within 5 minutes (we were paying separately). My only criticism of the bar service is that the glasses were filthy, either the dishwasher is out of detergent or they are in desperate need of renovating.

The food started to arrive roughly 20minutes to half an hour later, with the first two meals out being the first two ordered - a bowl of vegetable soup, and a jacket potato with prawns. Both looked lovely, but unfortunately no cutlery was provided. Having looked around the immediate area where we were sat we were able to locate a soup spoon wrapped in a napkin with a knife, but had to ask at the bar for a knife and fork for the jacket potato. Wrongly I would have assumed this would have then prompted them to bring out cutlery for all of us that had ordered food.

We told our friends whose meals had arrived to start their food as we didn't want it to go cold. By the time the next meal came out the first two had been eaten. Though in rapid succession meals 3-6 were on the table - more jacket potatoes and a fish finger baguette. The jacket with chilli con carne had been described in the menu as being accompanied with creme freche, though this was no where to be seen. One of us went to the bar to ask for cutlery for a second time, and although the person asked could clearly see that there was food on the table, continued to polish forks with a rather manky looking tea towel, so was asked again a couple of minutes later. Cutlery for the remaining means was then bought over to us. At this point I had to ask for condiments to accompany my baguette - these had not been offered.

One member of our group was still without their food at this point, which I would say was possibly 45 minutes after ordering. It was at this point that a waiter came over and asked who had ordered the turkey sandwich. He then went on to explain that they had no turkey. She asked for her money back, as by this point she did not wish to wait another 30minutes for an alternative sandwich. The refund took approximately ten minutes to be delivered to the table, despite is sitting in close proximity to the bar. They did however also refund her drink.

Whilst we were eating our meal and member of staff started to hover behind the table and then attempted to remove a sign from hooks about our table - she struggled with this and at one point nearly dropped it - if it were to have fallen we were 99% confident that it would have hit potentially 2 members of our group. The same member of staff then came and started clearing plates from the tables, although not all of us had finished eating.

We left quite quickly after finishing our food, and I am glad I was looking where I was going as on the floor, in the walkway between the two tables where we had sat was a large chunk of a broken porcelain salt shaker. If I had stood on this I would have ended up injured as I only had flimsy summer shoes on.

All in all I won't be returning to the Red Lion in Atherstone, not even for a drink.

• Visited July 2013