“We stop serving food at 3" - WHY FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE?”

Devonshire Arms Brasserie & Bar
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Bolton Abbey
Price range: US$26 - US$65
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The vibrant brasserie & bar has a riot of rich jewel colours and contemporary art, this together with the buzz of guests and locals makes this a really unique little spot. Ruth and her friendly team are sure to make your visit memorable and a warm welcome for everyone. A perfect place to catch up for lunch or to mingle with friends for dinner and enjoy a much deserved glass of wine after a hectic day. All of the dishes on the menu are available served at the bar, in the Brasserie or - weather-permitting - on the terrace. There is an impressive selection of wines, available by the glass or the bottle. A Sunday wouldn't be complete without a traditional Sunday roast with family and friends, so why not treat yourselves to one of the best places in Yorkshire to dine out.
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“We stop serving food at 3" - WHY FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE?”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stopped for a cuppa here and sat outside enjoying what has to be one of the best views anywhere, across the verdant hills of Wharfedale. We had a great time. On the next table a group of 6 people arrived and ordered drinks at 3.05pm - they asked for menus. "Sorry we stop serving at 3" said the waitress. OK then forget the drinks they said and left. Are we crazy in this country. This was a summer afternoon and a highly rated hotel - there was a wedding reception taking place so they could have provided food had they been bothered. The facts are that they could not be bothered to provide customer service - so typical of the UK. Perhaps not a full menu but they could have rustled up a snack of some sort snack or maybe a sandwich.
Message to the manager - I hope you read this and so something about it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank XRXM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A bit pricey but it was tasty and the setting is lovely”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Last time we were here there were helicopters landing and taking off as if it was quite normal. We were fascinated. No helicopters this time though but we decided to stay and eat anyway and we were glad we did. We enjoyed every last mouthful we had, even if I must agree with some other reviewers that some of the dishes are a wee bit overpriced.

I started with a lovely and perfectly cooked Risotto which came topped with Fried Shallot Rings. At £8.00 it was a little pricey but really delivered on taste. My Husband said that his Chicken Liver Parfait, was the best he had ever had (and he has eaten this dish all across the Northern hemisphere) he had been sceptical about the Toasted Sultana Brioche but was totally won over and felt the £8.00 it cost money well spent.

I thought the main courses although beautifully presented were a little on the meagre side especially when looking at the cost. Both the dishes we had were delicious and full of flavour but then they were both cheaper cuts of meat that should be flavoursome. I chose the Sticky Yorkshire Cider Middle White Pork Belly, which was served with Bacon & Garlic Cream Potato, Juniper-Buttered Kale and came in at a hefty £16.00. The potatoe and Kale were nothing more than garnishes really and I am glad we ordered a side of vegetables as well. My husband went for the Copper Dragon Braised Shin of Yorkshire Beef with Herb Buttered Chantenay Carrots, Shallot Puree, Wensleydale & Wood Sorrel Croquette, Braised Baby Onions which was priced at 17.00. Again the portions were small.

We had plenty of space left for deserts. I really enjoyed the Salted Caramel & Dark Chocolate Mousse, Crisps ‘n’ Nuts and my partner made short work of his Iced Lemon Parfait, Earl Grey Sorbet, and Ginger Poached Pear. But at £7.50 and £7.00 respectively I thought they were a tad expensive. I am not adverse for paying a little extra for a quality but as a Yorkshire woman I do expect value too.

But the real test is would we go again -well yes we would if only so My partner can relive the parfait.

Sleepy Hollow, New York
“eating at Bolton Abbey”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

food was well prepared and pretty nice but perhaps a bit over priced. but the setting and ground around the Brasserie are nice and overlook the cricket pitch.

Visited June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Pretentious”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This used to be a favourite haunt when the bread was free!! and we were able to eat well at a fair price... but we won't be going again I'm afraid - pretention has taken over. The 'Poached Forced Yorkshire Rhubarb' with 'Ginger Parkin Crumb' served on a slate just looked bitty and silly to us and the portions mean. We were underwhelmed. The colourful armchairs did look jolly years ago but now they look worn and I'm afraid we've always found them quite uncomfortable especially when having to stretch forward to eat. In summary we were really disappointed which is such a shame as we've always found the drive over and views unbeatable.

1 Thank llew96
Yorkshire
“Enjoy the chilled atmosphere at the brasserie.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Called in one evening on the off chance we would get a table. We did ! There was a lovely laid back ambience and the restaurant was almost full.
The staff are friendly and attentive.
The menu has a reasonable choice with specials .
We both ordered fish and chips with a side dish of green beans.
The presentation is fab, and the food was beautifully cooked.
We didn't have wine as we were both driving, so only tested the tap water!
We decided to have a dessert which at £7 each is steep.
I had rhubarb with homemade ice cream and my friend had a chocolate mousse with cinder toffee and ice cream.
Again the presentation was fab, and the tastes were subtle but at £7 they need to be!
The bill was quite hefty for what we had, but as a treat I'd recommend you give it a whirl.
The views of the Dales are lovely, and on warm summer evenings you can sit outside to have a drink, or enjoy a spot of lunch.
Yes it's expensive, but the food was delicious, and I really liked the decor and ambience.
Not somewhere you could afford to eat every week though!

1 Thank guccigirl10