We had a one night stay at the hotel for a birthday treat as we both enjoy fine dining and wanted to try The Burlington Restaurant (reviewed separately).
Our first impressions of the hotel were friendly staff, a welcoming fire, all rooms were beautifully furnished with lovely paintings and antiques and cushions which are regularly plumped giving a feel of luxury. We had a short guided tour which was nice and we spent a bit of time looking at the wine collection which is extensive. My partner had his eye on a bottle of 1982 Petrus for later but at around the £2000 price mark I think he’ll have to wait for that!
We were taken to our room when it was ready and our bags were already there. The room was in the newer part of the hotel (which from the outside is not in keeping with the rest of the hotel or the surrounding area, reminding us of a cheap Travelodge) and was quite small for the price but it was furnished to a high standard and spotless. We were quite shocked to hear the television quite loudly from the next room and coughing from the occupants. The bed was rather soft, but ok for the one night.
The breakfast was amazing and such a treat. Everything we had was absolutely delicious.
The staff wouldn’t take tips during our stay and we didn’t mind at all paying the service charge on the bill as the staff work very hard and deserve every penny.
We didn’t have time to try the spa so can’t comment on that.
There are no grounds or gardens to speak of which I was expecting going to a country house hotel, but it is on the doorstep of Bolton Abbey and there is a lovely walk along the river to it.
All in all I think the rooms are overpriced for the size and we had a nice break but we probably wouldn’t return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 30,000 acres of land on the Bolton Abbey Estate, this impressive 4-star country house hotel boasts an award-winning restaurant, an adult-only spa, a gym and an indoor pool. Skipton is just 5.8 miles away and Harrogate is 16.2 miles away. Each elegant room has a spacious seating area and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player ans satellite channels. All rooms offer different views of The Dales, River Wharfe and Italian Garden, and all rooms feature a luxury bathroom. Situated in the very heart of the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Hotel has a luxurious spa featuring a sauna, steam room, swimming pool and whirlpool. A range of treatments and massages are available and the property also has outdoor tennis courts. Clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry displays are all possible within the Bolton Abbey Estate. The award-winning Burlington Restaurant offers a seasonal menu using the finest local produce. Guests can enjoy the ever-popular afternoon tea, and there is also a lounge bar. The Brasserie offers guests a more modern gastro-menu featuring some of Yorkshire's favourite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel Bolton Abbey
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel And Spa
- Devonshire Arms Country Skipton
- Devonshire Arms Country Hotel
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire