“A luxurious escape to the country.”

The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We had a one night stay at the hotel for a birthday treat as we both enjoy fine dining and wanted to try The Burlington Restaurant (reviewed separately).
Our first impressions of the hotel were friendly staff, a welcoming fire, all rooms were beautifully furnished with lovely paintings and antiques and cushions which are regularly plumped giving a feel of luxury. We had a short guided tour which was nice and we spent a bit of time looking at the wine collection which is extensive. My partner had his eye on a bottle of 1982 Petrus for later but at around the £2000 price mark I think he’ll have to wait for that!
We were taken to our room when it was ready and our bags were already there. The room was in the newer part of the hotel (which from the outside is not in keeping with the rest of the hotel or the surrounding area, reminding us of a cheap Travelodge) and was quite small for the price but it was furnished to a high standard and spotless. We were quite shocked to hear the television quite loudly from the next room and coughing from the occupants. The bed was rather soft, but ok for the one night.
The breakfast was amazing and such a treat. Everything we had was absolutely delicious.
The staff wouldn’t take tips during our stay and we didn’t mind at all paying the service charge on the bill as the staff work very hard and deserve every penny.
We didn’t have time to try the spa so can’t comment on that.
There are no grounds or gardens to speak of which I was expecting going to a country house hotel, but it is on the doorstep of Bolton Abbey and there is a lovely walk along the river to it.
All in all I think the rooms are overpriced for the size and we had a nice break but we probably wouldn’t return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bellebaby2
DevonshireHotels, Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your two reviews, we were pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that your breakfast was “amazing”; your comments have been passed on to the team. We were disappointed to read about the negative aspects of your stay including the fact that you were able to hear the guests next door. We are always bitterly disappointed when we do not exceed guests’ expectations and we are sorry that you do not think you will return to The Devonshire Arms.

From all at The Devonshire Arms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We returned yesterday from a two night stay at the Devonshire Arms where we celebrated my 60th birthday. Our room, though large, was very plain with certainly no luxurious feel to it even though it was in the second most expensive category and the bathroom was tiny. Our room also overlooked the main road which was noisy and my husband had requested a quiet location so we found this a bit odd. In their defence most of the rooms in this category have four poster beds which we don't like. Fishermans is NOT the room to have.

Unfortunately the main restaurant is not open on a Monday and the Brasserie was very disappointing. My husband was given the wrong starter (parfait instead of terrine) and was told half way through that there had been a mistake and he could change if he wanted. His main course of Beef Wellington was so dark brown that it was almost burnt and the beef therefore overdone. The Brasserie itself is more like a pub restaurant and was very casual.
As we had come away for a very special event and paid a huge amount of money this was disappointing.

The second evening we had a meal in the Burlington restaurant which was SUPERB. The food was incredible and the staff very attentive. It was so different from the previous night that you could easily believe that you were in two separate hotels! The only downside was that my husband had told me that the Burlington's dress code was 'smart casual, no jeans or trainers' and I felt that the new dress I had bought for the occasion would be inappropriate. This was not the case, as it turned out, but I had taken something else. The dress code should say 'jacket required'. A restaurant of this calibre deserves nothing less.

I had a wonderful massage in the Spa which I would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RJT06

Thank you for choosing The Devonshire Arms for your 60th birthday celebrations. We were very sorry to read that you did not like your bedroom. We are proud that every one of our bedrooms is individual in style, so should you choose to stay with us again, please tell the reservationist that you do not like four poster beds and they will be delighted to find a bedroom which is more suited to your taste. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal in The Devonshire Brasserie, but were pleased that your stay was somewhat redeemed by an enjoyable meal in the Burlington and a pleasurable spa treatment.

With kind regards,
From all the team at The Devonshire Arms

Reviewed 20 April 2012

A break from the kids (courtesy of my parents!) gave us the chance to steal away to The Devonshire on a lastminute.com deal for two nights. The price on lastminute wasn't 'cheap', although about half the price quoted on the Devonshire's website. We felt we had a bargain!

While the room was very clean and well kept, it lacked basic facilities one would expect in a hotel at such a price. There were no facilities to play one's iPod, no radio (even on the TV) and just a DVD player through which to play music. When we asked what CDs reception might have we were told they didn't really have any, as they'd all been stolen. Really not good enough. We didn't come away to watch TV, but a bit of background music would have been nice. Had we wanted TV, there were about 7 channels to watch through a poorly tuned television (no TV on demand and a limited catalogue of films - although plenty of children's films which would be great if we'd had the kids). Fortunately, one of the porters came to our rescue and loaned us music from his own personal collection - above and beyond the call of duty for which we were very grateful.

The apples offered in the room were past their best, offering no crunch at all.

There was no fridge or mini bar in the room. While I appreciate the efforts that The Devonshire is going to to reduce its environmental impact, it's nice to have small comforts to hand and not to have to continually bother concierge for small items such as milk....

The spa is great, we had a lovely afternoon lounging in the hot tub, pool and steam room, although again the facilities are a little lacking. My wife felt the make-up area was poor, no hair straighteners etc and it was a little untidy. Whilst in the spa area was the only time we felt the staff were a little uninterested, in the main hotel (bar, restaurant and brasserie included) the staff were warm, helpful and attentive, less so in the spa.

FIRE ALARM! We were woken up at about 6am on Sunday with the fire alarm (we couldn't believe our rotten luck, we'd come away to get our first lie in for two years!). While we accept that these things happen and can't be helped, there was no apology the next morning. Had I been in charge, I'd have offered all the guests affected a free coffee and token petits fours the next afternoon....

Breakfast was great, the full English (or 'Yorkshire') breakfast was good, but the next morning both the poached haddock with mustard sauce and the corned beef hash with poached egg were excellent.

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds as part of the Bolton Abbey estate, a really wonderful part of the country and a stone's throw from Skipton and Ilkley. It's a wonderful location, the staff are really great, but paying that amount I'd expect much better from the hotel owners.

Tired is how we felt on Sunday morning (!) and overall how the hotel feels, a team of warm, attentive staff do well in a hotel that needs to update its facilities.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beatentracks
DevonshireHotels, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

I was pleased to read your many positive comments, especially about our wonderful team, however I was obviously disappointed to read that you found the hotel to be “tired”. We do invest in refurbishing the hotel, most recently including the function rooms, “Old House” bedrooms and The Devonshire Brasserie, and we appreciate any feedback with regards to future improvements. With regards to the fire alarm, I apologise that you were unable to enjoy your well-deserved lie in, and I am sorry that you did not feel that we did enough to make-up for this the next morning.

Andrew Mackay, General Manager

Reviewed 11 April 2012

The title says it all.......we stayed for one night on Good Friday, with a table reservation in the Burlington Restaurant in the evening.

The room was situated in The Wharfedale Wing, and overlooked the countryside at the back of the hotel...............beautiful........a room with a view, a place to sit and have a cup of tea in a comfy armchair, reading a book and taking in the view!!!

Room was beautifully furnished and luxuriously comfortable, quite contemporary but also quite elegant.

The meal in The Burlington was out of this world.......we both opted for the taster menu - which delivered on every level.......a sensory explosion for your eyes, nose and mouth. Staff were all very attentive without been too intrusive of your space. The wine list was extensive, starting at reasonable prices and increasing to mega money (if fine vintage wines are your thing this is the place to go). We also indulged in a couple of champagne cocktails...verrrrrrrrrrrry nice!!!

We pre-ordered our breakfast for the following morning, leaving it on the outside of the door for staff to collect. In the morning we got a call to our room to say that our breakfast was on the way..........well, what can I say - a fabulous breakfast once again taking in the lovely views....how decadent!!!!!

It can be a little pricey, but goodness me it is certainly worth the indulgence...........the only downside was having to check out and go home!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

What a fantastic review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay; fantastic comments such as yours are a real motivator for the whole team. We are very proud of the hotel and the Burlington restaurant and are delighted that you enjoyed your meal. We hope to welcome you back to The Devonshire Arms very soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I had a wonderful two days, the weather was glorious which helped, but the welcome and service was brilliant. My dog isn't the best greeting other people but the staff really were dog-friendly and she took to everyone. It was great to be able to have her at my feet in the lounge instead of being relegated to the bedroom. The bedroom I had (a Nidderdale one) was beautifully decorated with a fantastic view of the river and fields. Dinner in the Burlington was a treat, I was looked after without the service being oppressive, as can sometimes happen. The portions were small and beautifully presented, but I was well fed by the end even though I chose the shortest menu. The Brasserie was a different experience, good solid food without frills (and no problem with putting the surplus into a doggy bag). Yes it is expensive, but I felt it was good value for money, particularly as I got two nights for the price of one. I didn't use the spa as the dog preferred the river.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Roo L

Thank you for this wonderful review, we are delighted that you and your dog enjoyed your stay. We do hope that you’ll return again soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We were so looking forward to celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary at the Devonshire Arms Hotel. We had passed it many times over the years during our trips to Bolton Abbey and often thought it would be the perfect place for a special occasion.

To be fair we booked it quite last minute and secured a 50% discount off the accommodation.

We arrived early, and as our room wasn’t ready – which we didn’t expect- we were shown round the hotel by one of the male reception staff. – It was everything we had hoped it would be - lots of lovely sitting areas to relax in after a long walk, 2 restaurants and the staff were incredibly welcoming to our 2 golden retrievers – the was even a supply of wellies and wax jackets to borrow.

When we returned to the hotel after a gentle walk round the gorgeous countryside, we checked into the room – one my husband had upgraded to a suite – Lismore Castle – a ground floor suite with a small lounge area, larger bedroom with 4 poster bed and bathroom with Jacuzzi and separate shower. The views were across the fields – so just lovely.

This is when things weren't quite as we'd hoped they might be for our celebration – we had hoped that there might be some flowers or something to acknowledge our anniversary in the room – but no, not even a congratulatory handshake upon check-in. Even though at the time of booking my husband had mentioned that he was upgrading because it was our silver wedding anniverasary and then followed it up with an email a couple of days later.

Having unpacked, we went for a drink in the bar – only to find out that draught beer had to be bought in the Brasserie – no problem, we walked round to the brassiere, bought a pint of beer and glass of prosecco and went back into the cocktail lounge as the dogs were welcome in there rather than the Brasserie. Unfortunately my husband’s beer was off and when he gently mentioned this to the bar tender of the cocktail bar she advised that draught beer wasn’t available in the cocktail bar and did he really want her to go and get him a fresh one from the Brasserie, in a tone which portrayed ‘Do you REALLY want me to and I will if I have to’ Not wanting to put the lady to any trouble he settled for a bottled beer.

Later in the afternoon my husband needed some ice for an ankle injury he had sustained the week before, which had been aggravated by our walk, and whilst waiting in reception I was invited to sit down - on a £4000 worth Chippendale chair – as I probably wouldn’t have seen one before never mind had the opportunity to sit on one.............

Later we decided to have a pre dinner drink and sat in the ‘dog lounge’ outside the main restaurant. I ordered as glass of presecco – to which the reply was “oh we don’t serve Prosecco here, only champagne” Errrr I’d had one earlier in the afternoon – for what we were paying for the room we should have been able to have whatever we wanted wherever we wanted. We were made to feel cheapskates then for only ordering wine.

Still no mention of our anniversary.

We quickly drank up in what could only have been described as a room with the same ambience as a library and made our way to the Brasserie. We had chosen the Brasserie, not because the Resteraunt was extremely expensive, but because the menu was not to our taste.

We enjoyed the food in the Brasserie, but the atmosphere was quiet and disappointment was really setting in by this stage – not even a complimentary glass of wine with our meal – although lady on the table behind us had a beautiful birthday cake brought out for her.

The rest of our stay passed without incident except for the 10% + service charge being added to the final bill but I look back on our Silver Anniversary with disappointment.

The feeling of disappointment remained with me and so I rang the hotel the following day – I spoke to the General manager and whilst had no intention of complaining, merely bringing something to his attention, it became such. Whilst he acknowledged that something had slipped through the system and there should have been a card in our room (!) he informed me that as at least 25% of his guests were always there celebrating something such as a birthday or anniversary, it would be unfeasible to provide wine or flowers etc for each party there celebrating an event. I asked him whether he thought a Silver Anniversary – 25 years of marriage – was just an ordinary celebration. I made suggestions of how other hotels over the years had surpassed our expectations – even the smallest thing like strawberries dipped in chocolate and delivered to our room- was poo-pooed as being too costly.

We have stayed at many 5 star hotels over the years and never have we been treated with such contempt.

The Hilton in Manchester fell over backwards for us for our 20th Anniversary - , the BodyHoliday in St Lucia couldn’t do enough for us for my husband’s 50th and Crystal Cove’s service in Barbados for our 15th Anniversay was second to none.

To sum up the Devonshire Arms – if you want to go somewhere for an extra special occasion and are pushing the boat out for 1 night – don’t bother as you are not extra special.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wherecanwego
Reviewed 9 April 2012

if you want to get away from it all this is the place.
rooms so comfortable,nothing is too much trouble.
coffee served with homemade biscuits to die for.
spa treatments amazing.
we ate in the burlington a bit too fancy for me will eat in the brasserie next time.
cooked breakfast lovely could eat two!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

This is a wonderful review, thank you! We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Abbey
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
Beck Hall Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 1 in Malham

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!