My wife booked us an overnight stay here together with the tasting menu and wine pack. I suspect that we could eat for a month on what it cost but it certainly does seem to live up to its reputation earned so far - including the rare, but not unknown, policy of adding a discretionary service charge. I have come across this in New York restaurants but not in the UK. My advice would be, if you're not happy to pay it then decline it and, perhaps, be prepared to offer a reason why not.
The room was fine - comfortable, good shower, china, tea, coffee and kettle etc. and the hotel is in a beautiful Wharfedale setting.
The tasting menu is a triumph; a seamless procession of dishes seen only by this reviewer on telly, together with a glass of wine appropriate to each dish.
I hadn't noticed another reviewer's reference to 'snooty' staff at the hotel until I sat down to write this. Looking back to our stay, I can only guess that the snooty people had been sacked or given the day off. Everyone was unfailingly polite, smiling and friendly.
I have to end with a special mention of our dinner waiter Ben (from Barnsley). He is/was a model of unstuffy but attentive efficiency. Glasses appeared on time, wine was poured at correct temperatures and explanations about the wine, where it was sourced and how each had been selected to complement its course were offered. He detected that we had some knowledge of the subject and pitched his delivery accordingly - a masterclass in how to deal properly with paying customers. I hope his employers read this review and credit him accordingly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 30,000 acres of land on the Bolton Abbey Estate, this impressive 4-star country house hotel boasts an award-winning restaurant, an adult-only spa, a gym and an indoor pool. Skipton is just 5.8 miles away and Harrogate is 16.2 miles away. Each elegant room has a spacious seating area and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player ans satellite channels. All rooms offer different views of The Dales, River Wharfe and Italian Garden, and all rooms feature a luxury bathroom. Situated in the very heart of the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Hotel has a luxurious spa featuring a sauna, steam room, swimming pool and whirlpool. A range of treatments and massages are available and the property also has outdoor tennis courts. Clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry displays are all possible within the Bolton Abbey Estate. The award-winning Burlington Restaurant offers a seasonal menu using the finest local produce. Guests can enjoy the ever-popular afternoon tea, and there is also a lounge bar. The Brasserie offers guests a more modern gastro-menu featuring some of Yorkshire's favourite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, LateRooms and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel Bolton Abbey
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel And Spa
- Devonshire Arms Country Skipton
- Devonshire Arms Country Hotel
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire