“A bit of a treat for birthday-boy”

The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My wife booked us an overnight stay here together with the tasting menu and wine pack. I suspect that we could eat for a month on what it cost but it certainly does seem to live up to its reputation earned so far - including the rare, but not unknown, policy of adding a discretionary service charge. I have come across this in New York restaurants but not in the UK. My advice would be, if you're not happy to pay it then decline it and, perhaps, be prepared to offer a reason why not.
The room was fine - comfortable, good shower, china, tea, coffee and kettle etc. and the hotel is in a beautiful Wharfedale setting.
The tasting menu is a triumph; a seamless procession of dishes seen only by this reviewer on telly, together with a glass of wine appropriate to each dish.
I hadn't noticed another reviewer's reference to 'snooty' staff at the hotel until I sat down to write this. Looking back to our stay, I can only guess that the snooty people had been sacked or given the day off. Everyone was unfailingly polite, smiling and friendly.
I have to end with a special mention of our dinner waiter Ben (from Barnsley). He is/was a model of unstuffy but attentive efficiency. Glasses appeared on time, wine was poured at correct temperatures and explanations about the wine, where it was sourced and how each had been selected to complement its course were offered. He detected that we had some knowledge of the subject and pitched his delivery accordingly - a masterclass in how to deal properly with paying customers. I hope his employers read this review and credit him accordingly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelandjoanna
DevonshireHotels, Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Michael and Joanna

Thank you for your review. It is greatly appreciated and gratifying to know that you enjoyed your special weekend here. I have informed both Ben, department manager and general manager of your comments which are testament to our current and continual training in both service and products as well as commitment to standards of service.

We hope that you will make a return visit soon

There are newer reviews for The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed overnight in this hotel for the second time, we wanted to eat in the Michelin starred Burlington here and this was the reason for the overnight stay.
The hotel is set in a lovely spot in the countryside and has the feel of a real country house hotel.
First the good points; the room was superb, a four poster bed that was really comfortable, spotlessly clean and very elegant, the bathroom had Temple Spa products a plenty, my wife was very happy about that. The hotel in general had some lovely touches, nice art and an open fire set the real country feel, absolutely no complaints in this department. We had afternoon tea with a glass of champagne which was excellent, the service was very good too. We ate in the Burlington restaurant in the evening ( I've reviewed that separately, 5*).
The niggles; we arrived at 3pm and the room wasn't ready, no big deal because we wanted afternoon tea, but it really should have been ready. There was also a wedding reception in progress and the guests were all through the hotel, I understand that weddings are money makers for this type of hotel and venue these days but when confronted by gaggles of drunken guests ( all drinking pints, including the women), several of whom were using foul language, didn't create the ideal atmosphere for afternoon tea next to the open fire.
We really enjoyed the stay, the Burlington restaurant was excellent and I'm sure we will be back. I would suggest you tell prospective guests that there is a wedding reception at the hotel when they enquire though as it's clear it can have an effect on someones stay.

2  Thank David G

Dear David G
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on TripAdvisor. All feedback is valuable to us to help maintain the high standards of service for which we are both known for and proud of.
In response to your comments, we try to ensure and maintain the comfort of all our guests I would like to apologise for the disturbance that you experienced by the wedding party.
I have spoken to the relevant departments to implement measures to ensure future wedding parties will not impose on resident guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future

All at The Devonshire Arms Hotel

Reviewed 3 January 2013

we arrived on the friday afternoon for a family wedding the following day and the staff could,nt have been friendlier and helpful we had a meal in the Brasserie(21 of us)which was excellent.On the day of the wedding everyone was really helpful and we all had a really great day from the moment the ceremony started to the reception ended .All in all a fantastic day thank you to everyone at the Devonshire Arms

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Liz H

It is with great delight to read your review of the hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind regards
All the staff at the Devonshire Arms Hotel

Reviewed 2 January 2013

This was the third time we had stayed at the Devonshire Arms. The location is fantastic, and the local walks are really excellent from pushchair friendly to much more challenging. The previous two times we could not fault the place. The food was excellent (though pricey) in the main restaurant. The wine list is a bit scary unless you have very deep pockets, but you can find good wines that won't bankrupt you. The spa is excellent and a great way to unwind. This time we got an excellent deal which included dinner in the Brassiere. But there were a number of things that we felt need attention:
The Bar and Brassiere has no Bar. All the tables are set for dinner. So there is no where to sit and have a drink before dinner.
The service is a bit amateur - the hotel sets itself out as a luxury country hotel but that means you know that you do not clear away one person's plate while the other is still eating, and you do know the difference between a kipper and haddock.
The room was cold, This we were told was because they were trying new thermostats that keep breaking so as each one breaks they convert the room back to old style radiator thermostats - I admire the honesty but doesn't that mean that paying guests are being asked to help you sort out your maintenance problems?
The TV in the room didn't work.
As we got a great deal I was not too bothered, but I would not pay full price again.

Room Tip: There are two kinds of rooms - feature rooms - expensive but luxurious. Standard rooms - ordinary ho...
1  Thank ParcyWiltshire

Dear ParcyWiltshire
Thank you for your recent review on the Devonshire Arms Hotel. Firstly, it is pleasing to know that you have stayed with us previous occasions, however I would like to apologise on this occasion for the substandard service that you received on this particular stay with us.
We have had a few recent problems with the heating levels in the recent cold spell, as the building dates back to the 18th century and a listed building some problems require slightly more time and planning. I can assure you now this has been resolved.
We recommend the cocktail lounge to our guest for pre-dinner drinks whether they are dining in the Burlington or Brasserie restaurant; however I have passed on your remarks to the relevant departments.
I hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future so that you can once again fully enjoy our hotel and facilities.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't have been friendlier - always a good start. The room very comfortable and well equiped - we were in the 'Cartoon Room', which added a touch of interest and fun. We chose to eat in the Brasserie, as we expected the formal dining room (where we're sure the food is excellent) was relatively empty, whereas the Brassserie had plenty of atmosphere, the staff were again attentive and the food excellent. Do take advantage of the Spa, the pool is not too small and well heated and we had a lovely pre-breakfast swim; there are steam and sauna rooms (too hot for me!) and a cold plunge pool. Breakfast was ample and there was an interesting choice beyond the traditional 'full Yorkshire' to choose from. The combination of open fires and log burners, with comfy chairs to relax on, help give ths hotel a calm and welcoming ambience. The Devonshire isn't cheap, even as we were on a 'deal', but it's a great palce to go an relax and indulge in a bit of good living. You are also given a car park pass to use at Bolton Abbey and explore the surroundng landscape - sadly it was too wet to do any walking, but in better weather this would have been a great way to finish your stay in this picturesque area. There were nice touches in the rooms, such as real coffee, which was replenished whilst we were out; but it is the friendly staff who make you feel at home and so likely to want to come again and enjoy a warm welcome in the Yorkshire Dales.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
DevonshireHotels, Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Merlin York

Your positive review of the Hotel is grealty recieved and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back, when I hope the weather will allow you to enjoy our beautiful locations

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I must have passed the Devonshire Arms at least 100 times in my life, but had never visited until recently. I had heard so many good reports from friends, that my expectations were sky high when I visited early in December. It is a quintessential country house hotel set in a stunning part of the country, the attention to detail around the hotel creates a lovely warm atmosphere, from the wellington boots lined up in the entrance lobby to the roaring fire in the reception area.

I'd have to describe the service as inconsistent, it ranged from very attentive to quite indifferent. There seemed to be a problem in the kitchen at breakfast, i don't know whether the chef was ill or just late, but some cooked dishes were not available and those that were available -in my case - war burnt.

The food served in the private dining room during the evening was superb in every respect and the gentleman who looked after us during the evening was discrete, but there when needed.

On balance I had expected more from my visit and I had anticipated the whole experience would have been in line with what I regard as the benchmark for luxury hotels - Rudding Park Harrogate.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank djslippers

To DjSlippers.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the season we had a few staffing issue in the kitchen as all personnel have to remain of work for at least 48 hours if feeling under the weather.

On behalf of the Hotel I apologise for the substandard level of service you received and we have introduced measures to ensure such an incident will not occur again.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We had a lovely time on boxing day with some friends. The food was very good, but the service was truly appalling. I have eaten here several times and it is always the same, The girls just stand by the till with their backs to the customers talking to each other. They then automatically add a 12.5 % service charge on the bill. We also ordered 4 cups of coffee which came in a pot that did not hold enough. When i pointed this out to the waitress she told me it was my fault for putting too much in the cups. They did not get paid the service charge.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank marc s

Dear Marc S

On behalf of the Hotel I would like to start by offering my apologies for the level of service that you experienced at The Devonshire Arms Hotel.
We strive to ensure each customer receives the upmost care and attention whilst at the Hotel and it is disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not meet those values, and this matter has been passed through to the relevant department for immediate attention.

I hope that you will make a return visit to the hotel and Brasserie Restaurant for a more enjoyable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Abbey
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
The Traddock
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Austwick

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!