“Loved it!!”

The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Devonshire Arms on a Tuesday evening in late October. We had come for one night on a Special Occasions package. As we pulled into the car park we were met at the car by the Porter/Concierge who took our luggage. Check-in was sorted whilst we sat by the roaring log fire in reception. We were shown to our room which was undeniably smaller than I had anticipated but no less comfortable. The Laurent Perrier was on ice (part of the deal) and the view was spectacular. Then it was off to one the very inviting bars for a few pre-dinner cocktails. Dinner in the Burlington Restaurant was fabulous as was the service, so nice to go to an upmarket restaurant where the waiters have a sense of humour! Breakfast the next day was just as good. All in all a thoroughly lovely place, full of country charm and character yet totally unpretentious. Very welcoming and helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had heard that the afternoon tea's were fantastic here so whilst we were visiting Skipton I thought I would treat my partner to A/T at the Devonshire Arms. I had phoned first to check if dogs were allowed and I was advised "yes" however I would need to have my food in a separate room - I totally understand and booked a table for when they first started serving afternoon tea. On the day,we arrived at the Hotel some 30 minutes early - we checked in were advised that we were 30 minutes early and could not be served for 30 minutes - we totally understood this and were prepared to wait 30 minutes. We were shown to the "dog lounge" and sat there whilst serving staff just ignored us !! After 30 mins we managed to attract attention and asked if we could order Afternoon Tea - the reply was that they do not serve A/T for another 30 mins so we would have to wait !! - we had already waited 30 mins and were not prepared to wait another 30 mins so left. Had I been given correct information when I first phoned and also when we checked in then we would have spent longer in Skipton. Unfortunately, we did not get the opportunity to sample the afternoon tea so, Devonshire Arms Managers please ensure that ALL your staff are aware of the correct timings for service and they deliver consistent information to your customer. As nice as the building is - I do not want to wait in a room for 60 mins before being served !!.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kikimac31
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We decided to return to the Devonshire Arms to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We got married at the hotel in 2012 so it holds great memories for us.

The team at the Devonshire went above and beyond to ensure we had a fabulous anniversary.

We got upgraded to the Herbert Royal Suite which was immaculately clean and superbly decorated.

The staff were so helpful and responsive and ensured every need was met.

We ate at the Burlington which was amazing and really good value for the number of courses consumed. There was also reasonably priced wine on the menu too.

We will definitely return to the Devonshire. It's a fantastic hotel with brilliant staff

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This 4 star hotel & spa is set in the North Yorkshire countryside on the Bolton Abbey Estate. It is one of the most welcoming hotels I have ever stayed at. If you are a dog lover then this is a fabulous place to spend a weekend. Dogs are not only allowed but positively welcomed by everyone. There are log fires in most of the cosy lounges and two restaurants to dine in. One is a brasserie and the other a Michelin starred restaurant. I think that probably says it all as regards the standards of this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Another fantastic visit to The Dev - situated in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales it's quiet and so relaxing, luxurious in a terribly understated way. I love it that dogs are welcome although I could never take ours (he's too boisterous and naughty), the staff are so welcoming and helpful. We love the Spa although it is small and if it is primarily a spa experience you are going for then you may be disappointed - The Devonshire is more of a luxury hotel with a small beauty salon/swimming pool/gym rather than a grand spa.
The bedrooms and en suite are tasteful and I can't say the bathroom is small at all.
We dined at the Burlington - a memorable experience (see review)
The only slightly down side was breakfast - they only serve until 930am and we had to wait firstly for a table and then service was incredibly slow although the food as ever was amazing and staff were working flat out. I would suggest they consider extending the breakfast times so the restaurant gets less congested but that's only a very small niggle.
It's the only place we go back to again and again and again and a couple of days here is so relaxing we always feel like we have been away for a week.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I returned on Thursday for my girlie afternoon tea at the devonshire , having had a familly lunch and stay over on sunday ( see review) and once again was not disappointed under the supervision of the French maitre 'd it was the best afternoon tea ever fabulous delicate and plentiful also beautifully presented. Shona looked after us wonderfully as ever and we were all impressed. Thank you all at the devonshire . This hotel is so cosy welcoming set in the most scenic area and an absolute treat as we all live in Ilkley we feel it a privilege to have the devonshire on our doorstep

Room Tip: Photograph room fabulous
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The food for our party was exactly as I ordered it and having a private dining room is special. The bedrooms are fine but the bathrooms are very small, not suitable for anyone who is rather over weight. Dogs are welcome which gives a nice homely feel. There is swimming pool in the spa and we had a relaxing massage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the gardens otherwise you are looking out into the carpark
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Beck Hall Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 1 in Malham

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!