“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Devonshire Arms and we were extremely impressed at every turn - the immediate welcome on our arrival, top level service, a very comfortable room and an absolutely stunning meal at the main restaurant. We had a great time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I only googled and came accross the hotel , so it was not by anyones recommendation at all. I was celebrating my 40th birthday and wanted a hotel that had nice food, a spa and was dog friendly. This hotel ticked all the boxes.

We arrived to a warm welcome by the staff..was helped with your bags..and was given a tour round the hotel.

The room was gorgeous..overlooking the mazed garden and a view of the countryside..everything you needed was in there..even treats for our dog.

We had dinner the first evening at te Brassierie..food here was lovely..so so nice and plenty of choice..the food was also presented very well on the plate.

I visited the spa on my birthday..to which lunch was included in the package. I enjoyed my visit and the staff were very helpful and friendly. If we lived closer I think I would even become a member.

We had afternoon tea with bubbly which delightful..even though i was still full from the lovely breakfast (a lot of choice) and lunch at the spa.

We then had dinner at the burlington! One word...AMAZING! Nothing we had ever had before..and it didnt fail to disappoint..even though I dont think I could eat it every week. We then had cocktails in the lounge..lovely!

We have recommended this hotel to all our friends and family. The setting was idyllic..hotel was gorgeous..staff were always helpful...food was amazing...and they are such a dog friendly hotel..they made our dog so so welcome! I had an amazing birthday....one definately to remember...and that was helped by all the above. The one (small) negative we had was the wii fi wasnt very reliable..but have since received an apology from the manager to say its being fixed!

We would definately visit again because it was well worth the money..they have deals on their website which as so so worth it. Cant wait till my next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wharfedale rooms..lovely view overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Its amazing, try it for yourself, the staff are friendly, the location is amazing and the rooms very comfortable. This hotel is a must.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The staff greeted us in the car park and carried our bags, the lobby was fantastic with a large log fire burning. The staff were very nice and the accommodation perfect. I travel worldwide and this must be one of the best hotels I have stayed in over a 20 year period.

I was a little reluctant to write this as its a perfect hotel for relaxation and I would rather keep it to myself however if you can and if you enjoy a quality hotel then look no further.

1 Thank Steve C
Deux-Sevres, France
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had the afternoon 'fizz' tea and it was truly scrumptious!!!!! A beautiful place, very elegant and most discreet but attentive service. Well worth a visit for that special occasion. Even made better watching the helicopter landing!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ParisChristina
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We return here every five years or so, and the standard never changes. It really is the best hotel I have ever stayed at, the rooms are lovely, the food stunning and the service exceptional, only slight downside is that wifi is only reliable in front of the roaring fires in the hotel lounges.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charned S
leicester
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just returned from a one night stay inc breakfast and dinner in the Burlington (not to be confused with the brasserie!).

The hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of the country out side of the Cotswolds (slightly biased!). The idyllic Bolton Abbey can be accessed from a beautiful (and easy!) walk through the manicured gardens and through open rolling fields following a wide babbling river. This has to be one of the most splendid locations for a hotel and spa.

On walking in through the front doors the staff are excellent and attentive. A quick guided tour will help guide the small labyrinth and end in your room. The rooms are well managed and a good use of space for a small room. However they don't have a mini bar so don't expect to be able to chill that bottle of Verve you brought along!

I can only describe the dinner for you in a few select words and any more would jeopardise the experience. The hotel used to have one or two Michelin stars and is in the process of obtaining them again as they only lost them due to the head chef moving on.

Dinner is; fantastic, magical, brilliant, beautiful and honestly the best meal I have ever had. If I lost the ability to taste tomorrow I would forever remember the mysteries of the culinary masterpiece served that evening and would always have a smile on my face!

However, dont expect the same for breakfast. This needs to be worked on if they have any hope to reach that elusive Michelin star classification. The buffet is nice but the cooked breakfast is a little disappointing to say the least. The Yorkshire sausage was small and tasteless (no Gloucester old spot!) black pudding wasn't cooked after sending it back and it still came out uncooked. The eggs were not local. Local good quality produce may improve this as well as a closer attention to detail.

The spa is great, although small and will allow you the basic in relaxation. Pool is nice, however the jacuzzi is heavily chlorinated and will leave your eyes stinging all evening. Sauna and steam are nice but the plunge pool was out of service. However speaking to a local member it has been this way for many months. One good factor is children are welcome in the spa I think from open to 12 and 3 till 6.

The hotel is overall excellent and would sit firmly in the realms of Limewood, Barnsley House and other top spa hotels. Just needs a small amount of attention to detail.

Oh and if you are into your wine this has to hold not only the greatest wine collection and largest menu but also boasts it's own wine sommelier who will help you choose with great passion. (Whiskey list could do with a small expansion! Include some Japanese whiskys!)

You won't regret your stay!

Room Tip: There are some great deals on the website but only eat in the Burlington not the brasserie! Unless y...
1 Thank kellyandollie
The Traddock
#1 of 1 in Austwick
Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!