“Lovely hotel - but the restaurants need some improvement”

The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great location. Friendly staff. Dog-friendly - our puppy loved it!
Comfortable room, great facilities. Lovely bar - including the Dog Bar.
Only criticism is reserved for the restaurants.The food in the Burlington restaurant was rather too fussy - and the portions were rather small. The food in the Brasserie was over-priced and much more could have been done with the layout and decor - given that there are great views up to the fells. The wall facing the fells should have been conservatory-style. The layout was a bit like a British Home Stores restaurant - which was a great shame.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the fells
1  Thank SBSevenoaks

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I booked a two night stay at the Devonshire Arms to celebrate my Mum's 89th birthday. We received a warm welcome when we arrived and our bags were whisked away to our room whilst we were given a tour of the hotel so that we could get our bearings.

Our 'Nidderdale' room was beautifully and comfortably furnished, with excellent views of the surrounding countryside. Bedroom and bathroom were well equipped as you would expect.

I chose the dinner, bed and breakfast option and due to Mum being limited in her choice of food, we decided to dine in the Brasserie on both evenings (also, the Burlington restaurant was closed on Mondays). There's a choice of dining in the vibrant bar area, or the adjoining smart brasserie restaurant. Although food and service perhaps might not meet the same standard as the renowned Burlington restaurant, they were both nonetheless excellent in the Brasserie.

Breakfast was served in the conservatory and was very good too, with lots of choice from both the cold buffet as well as the hot breakfasts which are cooked to order.

The location of the hotel is excellent and its lovely to walk down to the Abbey along the river, just half a mile away.

If access to wifi is important, check this with the hotel about your room before booking since some rooms don't pick up the wifi connection. This was a problem in room 33, but easily solved by sitting in one of the lovely lounges or lobby area. I also found it difficult to get Vodafone service inside the hotel.

I am very much looking forward to returning to this lovely hotel and to dining in both the Brasserie and Burlington restaurants next time.

1  Thank Foxymerlin
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The staff are fantastic throughout the hotel, and the tasting menu just gets better but that is made to shine by Nigel and his exceptional knowledge pairing of wines to the individual courses on the menu. It is simply fantastic and we can't wait until we return later in the year.
Karen and Bo Khan

Room Tip: They are all great we have tried various types
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a lovely, relaxing short break in early May at The Devonshire. It was a surprise break for my husband and the hotel kindly upgraded us to The Garden Room - the bed was amazing! You had a ladder to reach it!!!
The Burlington Restaurant provided the Taster Menu adapted to my vegetarian needs and with no fuss at all - we felt so special and happy. The bistro was more relaxed and noisy and great too, we were having such a good time that we invited our daughter and her fiancé to join us that second evening (they live only 20 minutes away).
We would highly recommend the Devonshire Arms.

Room Tip: The Garden Room
1  Thank nickyyb
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had such high expectations of this hotel, purely based on our friends experiences and also reading here on Trip Advisor however I have come home very disappointed. Let me start with what's really good, the Burlington restaurant is FANTASTIC and we had one of the best meals ever. We had the taster menu and it was really lovely, the service was excellent and our every need was attended to with a smile, it felt like nothing was too much trouble. Unfortunately that's were it ended. Our arrival was probably the best bit as the girl who showed us around was friendly and informative however we found the rest of the staff snooty and dismissive. Almost as if WE were lucky to be staying there? Our room was very small and really nothing special. We ordered breakfast in bed which arrived promptly at the time requested however my bacon was undercooked, the grilled tomato was hard and the sausage tasteless. When I rang to inform the front desk about the bacon I was asked if I wanted a replacement which I didn't, it was just feedback however the gentlemen abruptly ended the conversation by hanging up on me. When we checked out we were not asked whether we had enjoyed our stay or whether we had liked our room, really just things that should be a matter of course for any hotel establishment. When again I mentioned the breakfast I was told that the chef had been informed and that the 'tray charge' of 7.50 had been deducted from our bill. Honestly? Our total bill for one nights stay was over 400GDP. This was a special night away for us and I feel totally underwhelmed by our experience. The hotel itself is very pretty and of course the views are stunning but is it worth what we paid? Absolutely not and I would not recommend it at all for the accommodation, it's vastly overpriced and certainly not value for money however do visit the Burlington as it's top notch food!

4  Thank trixibelle1970
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Devonshire Arms and we were extremely impressed at every turn - the immediate welcome on our arrival, top level service, a very comfortable room and an absolutely stunning meal at the main restaurant. We had a great time.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I only googled and came accross the hotel , so it was not by anyones recommendation at all. I was celebrating my 40th birthday and wanted a hotel that had nice food, a spa and was dog friendly. This hotel ticked all the boxes.

We arrived to a warm welcome by the staff..was helped with your bags..and was given a tour round the hotel.

The room was gorgeous..overlooking the mazed garden and a view of the countryside..everything you needed was in there..even treats for our dog.

We had dinner the first evening at te Brassierie..food here was lovely..so so nice and plenty of choice..the food was also presented very well on the plate.

I visited the spa on my birthday..to which lunch was included in the package. I enjoyed my visit and the staff were very helpful and friendly. If we lived closer I think I would even become a member.

We had afternoon tea with bubbly which delightful..even though i was still full from the lovely breakfast (a lot of choice) and lunch at the spa.

We then had dinner at the burlington! One word...AMAZING! Nothing we had ever had before..and it didnt fail to disappoint..even though I dont think I could eat it every week. We then had cocktails in the lounge..lovely!

We have recommended this hotel to all our friends and family. The setting was idyllic..hotel was gorgeous..staff were always helpful...food was amazing...and they are such a dog friendly hotel..they made our dog so so welcome! I had an amazing birthday....one definately to remember...and that was helped by all the above. The one (small) negative we had was the wii fi wasnt very reliable..but have since received an apology from the manager to say its being fixed!

We would definately visit again because it was well worth the money..they have deals on their website which as so so worth it. Cant wait till my next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wharfedale rooms..lovely view overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Austwick
Rendezvous Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!