“Wonderful but expensive!”

The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The the we stayed here to mark a special celebration and we weren't disappointed. This place is fantastic in every way but be prepared to pay the price! The taster menu in the restaurant is a little overpowering for the palete. Service is excellent.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here yesterday on a travel zoo voucher. Stunning setting Arrived to porters taking your bags for you . On check in they gave us a free upgrade to a four poster bed , bottle of champagne and a lovely card for our 30th wedding anniversary ( thankyou )We strolled to bolton abbey 1/2 mile away and chilled by the river , Had a lovely meal in the brasserie . And again a lovely breakfast . Some one had booked the trike tour outside the hotel a must next time looks fab. This hotel has it all and could show other hotels how things should be done . We will returning soon for another overnight stay. Thanks to all the staff For a lovely stay... Angus and Gill.

Room Tip: All rooms look lovely
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had booked a room for the night as we had been bought a gift voucher for the tasting menu in The Burlington Restaurant. The staff in the bar and reataurant were all extremely knowledgeable and helpful and the food in the restaurant was exceptional. We have eaten in many 2 &3 starred Michelin restaurants and enjoyed the food here just as much. Whoever their pastry chef is they should be complemented as their Macarons absolutely melt in the mouth and were the best I have ever tasted. We also had afternoon tea in the conservatory the following day and again the cakes and pastries were beautiful.
The Hotel is in a fabulous setting and guests receive a complimentary parking pass for parking on more of the Devonshire land situated further along the road past the Abbey. This allows parking alongside the River Wharfe by the coffee and gift shop with lots of lovely scenic walks.
Our room was a Wharfedale room overlooking the Italian box garden. The room was quite small and only had one chair which meant one of us had to sit on the bed. Unfortunately the first time I sat on the bed I nearly fell off as whoever had made the bed up had done so with the mattress topper hanging off one side by at least six inches which meant that as you sat on the edge it collapsed beneath you. I did ask the receptionist to arrange for the bed to be remade whilst we were at dinner but it was a nuisance and I expected more from this quality hotel. I think due to the topper it was the spongiest bed that I have ever slept on and Neither my husband or myself had a good night. (Maybe the more expensive rooms are roomier with bigger beds).
We would definitely go back to this hotel for the food as both the staff and restaurant were lovely but I'm not sure whether I would stay overnight again. We would probably eat enroute to another destination.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at the delightful Devonshire Arms for our anniversary treat. From the moment we arrived and were warmly welcomed and shown to our room by Eddie we knew that we had made the right choice. Our room was really lovely, spotlessly clean with wonderful views. Chilled champagne awaited us and Eddie kindly went to fetch us a vase for the flowers that I had brought with us. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the Devonshire Arms. After a leisurely stroll by the river to the Abbey we returned to the hotel, got changed and went down for our meal. Again everything was perfect from the delicious canapés served in the lounge area with a refreshing G&T, to the meal itself which was absolutely excellent and made all the better for the superb service from David & co. Everything was really impressive including our choice of wine (white Rijoca) which wasn’t actually on the wine list but which the knowledgeable wine waiter produced with aplomb. We really appreciated this and the fact that it was very reasonably priced too. The following morning we had breakfast in our room and again it was absolutely perfect. We then asked Eddie if he could recommend one of the walks from the book of local walks that he has produced for The Devonshire Arms and the one he suggested was absolutely wonderful. Bravo to all the staff at The Devonshire Arms!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Devonshire this weekend with my wife to celebrate her birthday and our wedding anniversary. At the time of booking I did not realise that Le Grand Depart was underway this weekend and that it was going virtually straight past the hotel. Once I realised I contacted the hotel who were tremendously helpful, and I decided we would aim to get to the hotel before any road closures came in (8am guidance from the hotel). We arrived in great time, pitching up just after 6am. From the point of arrival the staff were exceptional. Clearly our room wasn't ready, but we were invited into one of the lounges, provided with tea, cookies and offered a bacon butty (which we turned down). We decided to take a walk up to the abbey and on our return used the spa. We then took a breakfast at the brasserie (in spite of us being just after service finished they fitted us in). A walk up the hill got us to a great vantage point for the tour coming through, after which we popped back for some fizz and cake. As we were celebrating the hotel graciously upgraded our room, up to the Shepherd - which was great, 4-poster splendour. Supper was in the burlington - something else! Great night sleep, stonking breakfast (I had the smoked haddock, tremendous), and then on to the spa for a couple of treatments and a swim. The place is extraordinary. Wonderful setting, attentive and intelligent staff who deliver consistent, effecient and exceptional service. Go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Shepherd room was great (and complimentary upgrade). Think it is the biggest room in the hotel.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our family had a fabulous stay at the Devonshire Arms. With a relaxed atmosphere, where children and families were welcome, it provided a great base to explore the area. The staff were exceptionally helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated. We could not have asked for more. Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were booked in for dinner in the Burlington and an overnight stay. And I must say we found all aspects excellent. Reading previous reviews, reception staff have either been retrained or replaced. From carrying the bags from the car, to booking in to a brief guided tour of the general areas, the staff were all friendly and efficient. Although our upgraded room was a little small, it was perfectly adequate and comfortable, with a wonderful view from the window looking over the fields towards the river. Dinner in the Burlington was excellent. We were sat in the conservatory area which, unlike Le Manoir which we had visited fairly recently, was quiet with wonderful views. The staff could not do enough for us, although occasionally we did struggle to understand them (some strong foreign accents!). We went for the taster menu and my inability to eat fish was no problem for them. In the event, there was a difference of only three dishes between what my partner and I ate. Every single course was excellent in presentation, taste and texture. And after a good night's sleep, breakfast was excellent as well. Overall, this was an extremely pleasant stay and I would strongly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Austwick
Rendezvous Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!