“A great weekend but poor entertainment.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel

Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bembridge
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A great weekend but poor entertainment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stay at Warner hotels on a regular basis and we found Bembridge to be one of the best that we have stayed in. A patio room with lovely sea views which was kept immaculately clean by Terri, thank you Terri. A nice airy dining room with very nice food, unfortunately our waitress Grace was not always accurate with ordering and we received drinks that were not what we had ordered or got our wine in time for dessert because she had forgotten to order it! Due to allergies I have to be careful what I eat and the chef came every morning to discuss what would be best for me and if there had been nothing that I was able or liked to eat he would have been quite happy to make me something else but that wasn't necessary as there was always something that was fine for me but what service.
For us the worst bit of the holiday was the entertainment. We love to see the cabaret shows with the dancers and the band but we had unknowingly hit on a Motown Weekend and with the exception of one short dance performance on the Friday night and the band for a short while on the Sunday it was all singers and not particularly good ones at that and as for the DJ, well we could hardly hear a word he was saying. This was so disappointing as one of the main reasons for us going to Warners is the evening entertainment and this weekend as far as we were concerned it scored about 2 out of 10.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms don't get afternoon sun but have great views.
1 Thank Silvertraveller33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

As a group of 4 couples we have visited Warners for the past 6 years and on every occasion by one our rooms have always been apart. I requested this on booking to be all together and low floor as I do not use lifts.
We booked as we left Littlecootes last year and I was told we can have rooms together, I was never told that we needed to pay £10 per couple for this !!! ( would never pay this as it is outrageous)
On arriving we were all on second floor ( previous enquiries was told 1st floor) two were together, one at end of corridor and other one round the corner!!!
Why do we never get rooms together?
First impressions always stick in your mind, so not a good start.
But everything else was excellent, entertainment, staff food (although salad was poor ) . It's a shame Warners always let's us down with the rooms.

1 Thank _thekohls
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We chose Warners at Bembridge (having stayed at Cortons twice) for my birthday weekend. What a lovely setting with stunning sea views and ducks roaming around the terraces. There was a mix up with our Concierge membership which was immediately taken over and sorted out by the wonderful Lorraine. She was so incredibly attentive and after a long journey and my boyfriend so wanting to make it a special weekend, she took care of us over and beyond, making sure we liked our table for dinner and that we had everything we needed. This was the beginning of a great experience with the staff.
Glitches: Only one little glitch on Sunday night when the restaurant service and quality of food was really not good. But overall, great food, lovely porridge and a good variety of well cooked carvery meats. Worst was the Duck on Sunday night which was inedible, tough and cut too thick and best was the Carvery Lamb and gorgeous mint sauce. Veg's were a bit over cooked and fried eggs in morning were hard and cold, so 'to whom it may concern ....Warners in Corton have got this so so right, (their eggs are amazzzing) - along with much better salads at dinner too! - maybe give them a call and ask them how they do it.
Room: We had a wonderful room with a patio (though facing the sea, no sun in the afternoon) and it was spotlessly clean with a great shower. We loved our table in the dining room and our VIP table for my birthday in the ballroom.
Entertainment: Fabulous seeing Glad Its Night and the amazing and totally awesome dancers - The Pips' was top class. Loved the opportunity to dance and dance and dance - one of the main reasons we come to Warners - and then later was blown away in the Late Lounge by the voice and class and personality of the gorgeous Nya King. Nya also entertained us on Sunday evening and again amazed us. Gee Bello was also very good on Friday evening. The entertainments team were great fun and only one comment, we never got to walk a mile because it was not announced and we could never figure out where it went from. Great barbecue and entertainment for Sunday lunch too. So so good guys we are coming back for August Bank Holiday and hope for the same standards - because we have asked for a different room with afternoon sunshine (and better eggs) on our next visit.
Waiter: Thanks to our polite and friendly waiter Matt.
Also: Wine and drinks far too expensive. Bit silly really because if you charged much less we would have bought more. It's so annoying paying £20 for a bottle of wine thats £3.99 at Lidl or Asda.
Must Sees: Both sides of the beach! Gorgeous walks along the sand and stones. Bring Wellies as it gets very damp or at least waterproof shoes. Also Osborne House. Never seen anything like it and Queen Victoria and I share the same birthday (along with Bob Dylan) so it was great to go there on her birthday and mine.
Finally: For anyone who thinks Warners is all about walking sticks and zimmers - well, yes it is and well catered for to boot, but so what? It could be any of us. I am 56, love being away from noisy kids. Been there done that. And I really enjoy old fashioned courtesies, good manners and the quality of company that comes with age and experience. I also love the freedom of that we all have over 50 to 'dance like no one is watching'. So I am looking forward to fun and much more dancing at the next Motown weekend in August. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Patio rooms great for morning coffee or evening drinks. Upstairs rooms better if you don't like...
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We last visited this hotel last May, and my review was less than enthusiastic. This time, things have changed.
Reception staff were enthusiastic and welcoming, and the food was a lot more interesting than last time.
I recall that a year ago, my thoughts were that although the food was ok, it was bland and uninteresting, but this year, it was totally different. Both carvery food and specials were tasty and inviting, and the breakfast food was tastier too.
We stayed for a Friday to Monday weekend, and had a thoroughly enjoyable time; we even had no problem parking in the car park this time.
We had a Signature room which looks very like a Premier Inn room. If I have a small gripe it is that the bed, whilst being nice and wide, is only 6' 6" long, so my 6' 8" body lies with feet hanging off the end. (Premier Inn have longer beds.
My only other gripe is the cost of a gin and tonic. Gin £2.90 ok small bottle of tonic water £1.80; when you can buy 4 litres of the stuff in Asda for £1.20.
Still that aside, heaps to do by way of leisure activities, and other entertainment. Yes, a lot of the clientele are elderly and infirm, but good luck to them; it is good that they feel this is a place that they can go to and be looked after; it certainly didn't spoil our enjoyment.
Well Done BCH and Warners, and thank you.

1 Thank David M
Phil_at_Bembridge, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Wow - Thank you so much for your complimentary review following your return visit to us this year. We constantly strive to improve all areas of the holiday experience and we have paid particular attention to our Menu's this year. I am so glad you noticed the difference. I'm sure next time it will be even better. Kind Regards Phil
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

What a lovely place first of all, but what a shame it was spoilt by misrepresentation and poor customer service by some staff which let down the rest. I have complained on line, wrote again to ask why they had not responded and am still waiting, hence my review now. I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt because if you are at least 70+, it's a wonderful place. We, however, are early 50's. The adverts say it's for adults and I expected people in their 60's but the majority on our visit were easily in their 80's. I have read some of the responses the manager has given to other customers who have mentioned this but this needs to go to national level, not local. The clientèle really are much older than the adverts portray.

I could have put up with this if everything else was good but alas... We chose our wine when we arrived and fully expected it to be ready for us, especially after the palarva we had to actually order it as the lad didn't really know how to explain the list or know what he was doing. It took 3 reminders during the meal and I had half finished my cold meal when it arrived and was plonked on the table. Then the waiter turned just walked away, he didn't even open the bottle.

My partner went to the carvery and they had packed it away! He got some food but by the time he returned, I was almost finished. Our waiter Mat was very very good but the wine waiter could benefit from going to Butlins, yes Butlins for training. (Customer service at Minehead is outstanding and puts Warner's to shame). I was told they were short staffed on Mondays as it was the new influx (this is not the guest's problem, there are staff agencies out there).

The breakfast was good for choice but again, cold (perhaps it had been sitting out waiting for service). Whilst we were still eating, they began hoovering near us! This was unacceptable, especially as we were not late down.

The room was a good size and although clean, the decor was due for an update. Oh, except for the dusty window sill that then fell off in my hand. The cleaning lady could have been more pleasant and the tea and coffee in the room was barely adequate in quantity, take your own supply.

The shooting was fun and where we met the only other guests under 60. It was a little drawn out and I got bored before the end as there was too much waiting around but the chap leading the group was nice. I would rather have spent less time doing it but had more goes at once.

Evening entertainment was rather good on the Monday night but this was the only one we saw. Very entertaining and nice music to sing along to.

Very comfortable two night's sleep and very quiet. No banging doors at all.

I am so disappointed that no one has bothered to write back to me as I now have a worse impression and it was not a good memory of what should have been a special birthday. Warners is not a cheap place to stay but do go if the age group suites you and just hope the food is hot this time!

Room Tip: Views South was fairly pleasant and we looked over the fountain and near the car park. The front roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JollyGoodHoliday
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here as a last minute booking, so had a very good deal. my allocated room was ok, with a lovely view. however, it was rather tired looking. the bed base was fraying badly and the mattress and pillows were really uncomfortable. the wash basin was cracked and the bathroom was grubby with 'mould' on the bath seal. the supplied non-slip rubber bath mat was awful, with black mould ingrained. I wouldn't use it as it was so disgusting. it needs throwing away and replacing immediately. the extractor fan in the bathroom runs permanently, with or without the light on, which disturbed sleep quality, needing the use of earplugs. There was a high pitch 'screaming' from the plumbing in an adjacent bathroom which was very disturbing, both daytime and evenings (maybe the shower?) That said, the overall ambience of the hotel is excellent. the food as always was great as was the in house entertainment. I was sad to hear that Charlie, one of the excellent and enthusiatic female dancers has left and that Mikey, a fabulous lead male singer, is moving to another Warners at the end of this month. They will both leave a massive hole in the team. the main downside of the weekend was the Star Break entertainment by Sheila Ferguson. It was a bit of a farce, with the sound deafening, off key singing, forgotten words and missed cues. Not the hotels fault though, they can't control what the act they book is like on the day. the swimming pool water was warm and the steam room has been upgraded, although having to take towels to and from the room to the pool was annoying, as towels are no longer provided at the poolside. The weather was wonderful, allowing lots of time to enjoy the sea views, outdoor entertainments and quiet times in the Spanish Garden listening to nothing but the birdsong. I look forward to my next visit, when I hope these defects will have been rectified. I took photos but am unable to show any here as I am not computer savvy and cant work out how to do it.

Room Tip: a room on the top floor, accessible by lift, eliminates the irritating creaking of floorboards when...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank r0ses447
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I am glad you are looking forward to your next visit. I know our guest liaison team have been in touch with you directly and apologised for the fall in standards you experienced in your room. Rest Assured guest feedback such as yours is hugely important to us and has been acted upon immediately. I was pleased to hear we have successfully resolved your issues and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Wishes Phil
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Room, location, food and leisure facilities were first class. The daytime activities were very good with a number of external speakers providing interesting events. However we feel that the evening entertainment needs a rethink.
Warner appear to believe that their ‘mature’ guests must have Bingo EVERY evening, must have an inane audience participation game EVERY evening and also must have several dancing sessions EVERY evening. All this is followed at about 10.00 pm with a very good show from the Entertainment team. What guests actually want is good quality entertainment in addition to the show, and Warner do provide this but at the wrong time. Each evening there was a cabaret style performance by a member of the Entertainment team between 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm which was very good, but generally had an audience of about 10 as guests were having dinner. Similarly there were late evening performances by a Country and Western singer etc which could not start until the show had finished, ie approaching 11.00 pm, when most people were on the way to bed.
As an experiment why not have the current dinner and late evening cabarets between 7.00pm and 9.00 pm, with the show at 9.00 pm, which could followed by dancing. The small number of guests who took part in the bingo could easily be accommodated in another room if necessary.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank a c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bembridge
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 54 in Shanklin
Seaview Hotel
Seaview Hotel
#1 of 2 in Seaview

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!