“Absolutely delicious, freshly caught food with friendly service”

The Crab & Lobster Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Bembridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious, freshly caught food with friendly service”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Came here as a party of ten whilst staying nearby and this place proved to be a fantastic find. We were a rowdy bunch but the staff catered for us so well we came back later in the week and had equally great service. Food was freshly caught fish and was delicious. View outside across the bay was something too. Special shout out to Charley behind the bar and the chef for their patience when we started ordering desserts at 10:45pm

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
West Lothian
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We had to try this place as we were staying almost next door to it.
Firstly you have to pay up front? Or give them your card to run a tab. Why would you hand over your bank card to someone behind a bar?? It's self service almost! I got a bottle of Pino, and was handed the bottle with 2 glasses? No wine cooler!
Starters were so bad we didn't stay for mains.
The crab & prawn tower was bland and tasteless with a chunk of bread just dumped on a plate the size of a tree trunk. The seafood mix my husband had was over cooked and tasteless with a side of tartar sauce in a paper thimble. My son got a side portion of onion rings which consisted of 4!! For £3.00!! 4! We knew then it was not going to be good.
The only positive thing I can say is the member of staff who came to clear our starters was lovely. She asked if everything was ok? To this I advised all the above. She was very apologetic and did listen to our complaint. My son got an ice cream and we got a glass of wine as a gogw. We were not after anything free! Just good food and service! Both fall very short. Too stuck in the old ways of customer service, very over priced for basic pub food.
So disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sharon M

Travellers are raving about these Bembridge hotels

London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was travelling with my two sons to visit my Aunt who lives in Bembridge. I had eaten at the Crab & Lobster Inn several times before and enjoyed the meal, so thought I would try the B&B accommodation. It seemed expensive, but it's near the beach and looking around at other places I thought they were all relatively expensive. I honestly don't like giving negative reviews as I think anyone who runs a pub and B&B works really hard, but my overall impression is that the landlady is really welcoming, works tremendously hard and was very friendly, but her staff are seriously letting her down. Our inter-joining rooms were nice, but had cobwebs and we didn't get toiletries replaced so had no shower gel/shampoo etc the second day. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and that was good food as usual. The breakfast however was really poor - I asked for tea which took 15 mins to arrive, my cup had tide marks from the previous tea drinker, and the tea was served with no milk or sugar - there was only the landlady serving and she was obviously very busy, so I had to go into the pub and ask for those. A man was hoovering while we had breakfast. There was supposed to be a fruit & yoghurt option, but that was not available (why could someone not just pop to Tesco if their delivery had failed?). The option I chose, scrambled eggs on a locally made muffin, turned up as scrambled eggs on white bread - no explanation as to why it was bread. The boys liked their cooked breakfast (they are 12 & 13 years old :-). There is little that the landlady can do about the last thing, other than have a think about how much she is charging - our rooms overlooked the carpark, and very early in the morning the bin men came and collected all the bottles, so we were woken up really early with lots of noise. Overall, I think the place needs a bit of investment to make it worth staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces onto the beach rather than the carpark if there are any.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pea-person
Reviewed 25 June 2014

the bar itself,where drinks are ordered is very small.waited ages for a very expensive Soda and Lime (£2.30). the food,my well be home made,but they do a good job of disguising the fact.I sat outside,the patio seating was falling to bits,literally. i moved to the sanctuary of the decking. waitress service was efficient. had a mezzie starter to share, (dont bother) and a calamari & whitebait light bite. cant really go wrong with the latter.... i was very,very disapointed.the food,imo,is certainly no better than a weatherspoon type pub chain,although the choice is much more varied. apologies if the review offends but the heartburn that kept me up all night has made me slightly bitter & twisted

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tonyburr
Southampton
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This pub is well advertised as somewhere worth making the effort to visit, especially for food. Put simply, it definitely is not.
With plenty of waitresses I was surprised to be told I had to order at the bar and that there were specials on the board, but they were behind the till. The result, loads of people crammed around the till trying to work out what they want. Then had to queue in a tight spot with people constantly squeezing uh as the drinks bar was cut off by the food queue. Couldn't order drinks with food as separate tills so have to queue twice!
Waitress didn't say what was not available so only when I got to the point of ordering was I told what I wanted was off so then had to quickly decide what to have instead, whilst people were waiting behind me in the long queue.
Food was ok, not bad but not special. Our daughters meal came out a good few minutes after ours, we were only told it was delayed when we chased it up.
View is ok outside but very limited seating so actually you might not get a chance to sit and enjoy it!
Not terrible but very ordinary and could so easily be improved by having the waitresses take orders at the table.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank B P
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Went with some friends for some drinks - Saturday night and found the place to be very quiet (9pm) and even quiet outside on a lovely balmy evening.
Staff pleasant and polite, but the place is just lacking in any care at all. Furniture falling apart outside, radiator in the Gents all rusty and looks like it's been like this for a long time. Bin in the gents overflowing with dirty paper, bar wet with spilt drinks and just dirty and the beer towels stank.
These are all things that should be done on a rotating basis by all floor staff - continually checking for things and keeping the place clean and tidy.
I even saw a Health & Safety window / wall poster on the floor !!
I will probably return and sit outside for a drink with some friends as that part of the business was fine, but with the cleanliness and lack of care as it is you wouldn't get me eating there that's for sure!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheekiebadger
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having heard that it is in the Good Pub Guide, we went just for dinner. It is a bit difficult to find but once there: the position is brilliant, overlooking the sea; the service was friendly and attentive; and the food was wonderful. We went for the seafood platter for two, and it did NOT disappoint! It was nicely cooked and beautifully presented. We left well satisfied. Thank you.

Room Tip: Not applicable because we did not stay there.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bembridge
Seaview Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bembridge
Harbourside View
Harbourside View
#1 of 11 in Bembridge

Been to The Crab & Lobster Inn? Share your experiences!