Just returned from a lovely two-night stay at The Kenmore Club. Superb location with stunning lochside views. We had a warm and friendly check-in from the receptionist called Tina, who was helpful with travel advice too. Our lodge was beautifully appointed with tasteful and comfortable furnishings and we found our lodge to be clean and inclusive of all the things we would need from crisp, white towels to toiletries in each bathroom. We enjoyed walks in the surrounding area, including a little exploration trip to the beautiful and abandoned Taymouth Castle. The accommodation simply cannot be faulted - unfortunately the same cannot be said for the on-site restaurant.
If you are expecting a "fine dining" experience then you'll be disappointed, which is a shame because it's only walking distance away from the lodge and the prices lead one to expect a certain standard of service and food. We were seated in the conservatory for our evening meal, the chairs were of the patio/outdoor variety and not comfortable for any length of time. The music playing featured Rod Stewart for majority of time we were there, but they were kind enough to turn it down a little. The tomato soup was nicely done with clean flavours, however, the bread rolls were the "bought-in-bulk" types and the starter selection was rather restricted and didn't offer a balanced choice. One of my companions opted for garlic bread and onion rings as a starter though and he said they were rather nice. Menu choices for mains were limited too and surprisingly, there weren't many choices of fish or shellfish dishes for a lochside restaurant but if you like red meat, you won't struggle much with the selection from deer to pork to beef (done in different ways) to lamb, etc. My companions said the lamb dish was enjoyable but unimaginatively presented on a pile of mash. The fishcakes were sorely disappointing with more dried-out potato than any hint of fish and lacking in any flavour, even a slice of lemon wouldn't have gone amiss. When mentioning to the "manager" that the fishcakes appear to be more like potato cakes than fishcakes he responded (at about ten decibels louder than your average person) with, "are you asking me if there is any fish in the fishcakes"? We said, well, I suppose so, yes. He said, "I seen the chef make them myself and he used over 4 kgs of fish." He didn't say what the potato ratio was though, one could only imagine! One of my companions and I then simultaneously said that we were sorry but we couldn't eat the fishcakes because they were so dry and bland. The manager took them away, brought back the menu and we declined to reorder when he said he would not charge us for the fishcakes (again, he said it extremely loudly which was rather unsettling). Needless to say, we never opted to stay for desert and on our way out the restaurant past the bar on the left, we heard the staff in a singsong fashion saying, "is there any garlic in the garlic bread, is there any fish in the fishcakes" and then howls of laughter. We also laughed on our way out because it did seem rather comical. In summary, we would definitely return to The Kenmore Club for the location and accommodation but we will dine-in like we did the previous night or simply drive to another local restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kenmore Club is the perfect home away from home. Situated in one of the most picturesque Scottish villages, Kenmore is an area where visitors and residents are lulled by the calming waters of Loch Tay. Aside from being breathtakingly beautiful, the area is also quaint and picturesque. This is an area where street lighting is somewhat frowned upon, as residents prefer not to disrupt the light of the stars. The Kenmore Club's charming, cottage-style accommodations match perfectly with the local environment and allow you to feel completely at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Kenmore Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kenmore Club Hotel Kenmore
- The Kenmore Club Scotland