“Perfect getaway cottage for one or two...”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 8 reviews

Reviews from our community

kiwikjone...
“Perfect getaway cottage for one or two - everything you need”
Reviewed 27 May 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

Firstly, the owner was very flexible with my arrival time, considering I'd booked only that morning!
It was raining and late when I arrived by car in the small village of Peasedown St John. I received a phonecall from the owner who helped me find the location - it was a bit tricky to find as my GPS couldn't locate it exactly. We established I'd gone a little too far down the lane and Ruth volunteered to come down in her car. She's so friendly and hospitable and I appreciated her coming to get me!
I was ready for a retreat experience having traveled around for a few months, and that was exactly what I found. The place is cosy in size and with good heating; it has nice contemporary/farm decor with attractive little features; tv in the lounge and bedroom with a DVD player & a few movies, which I watched; a writing desk and awesome massage loungers! Loved the kitchen. I never used the dishwasher or freezer, but fridge and washer/dryer were perfect for my needs (and I had a lot of washing!). Powder was provided as was milk, tea and coffee. Great to have iron and ironing board too.
Bed was oh-so-cosy. Sigh. Just remembering the snuggly bed...
I loved that there was a wardrobe and drawers to put my stuff away in...even a jewellery box! The holland blind in the bedroom was a bit dickie as far as getting that up and down.
I appreciated the automatic lighting in the bathroom, and all the provided towels.

So the view. Early in the morning with a nice sunrise over the hills below, then sunset at night showed different colours in the landscape. I could easily have sat and looked at the view for a while each day. There are houses a little distance either side, so do be prepared to see someone...although only every now and then!

I spent a fair bit of time traveling around the local countryside and used the cottage as a base. Ruth has a good welcome folder of local attractions, and has even written some good - and not so good - restaurants and pubs to go to. I found this quite handy having not known anything about the area.

It's 40 minutes to most of the sites like Stonehenge and Salisbury cathedral. Also I visited Cirencester in an hour and Bath of course is only 20 mins away by car. There's a bus stop at the top of the lane on the main road and takes 5 minutes to walk down to the cottage, and I recommend using the bus as it can be a nuisance finding a carpark in Bath.

I recommend going to the Fox and Badger in Wellow. It's not far from Peasedown - only 15-20 mins drive - and an old pub with character and a well traveled and friendly proprietor called Eric.

Overall, an excellent stay and I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a quiet getaway, not too far from most tourist sites.

Date of stay: March 2012
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: All the amenities. I could hibernate and not need much else.
Liked least: The front door didn't lock very easily.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.