“Overpriced and confusing service offer.”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Rode
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The pub tries to establish itself as an upmarket 'pub', with average mains that demand restaurant prices, the desserts leave little in the way of pleasure - cuts have been made and prices are sky high, not what you expect from this type of establishment. In other areas, the service provided is excellent, in particular the staff are very friendly and attentive to customers. Whilst I would not recommend the desserts, I'm sure a meal would be fine, but don't expect much change or anything too fancy.

1  Thank douglaseggleton

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Had a lovely roast dinner here on Sunday, all beautifully cooked and we only had to wait about 10 minutes! Also enjoyed a wonderful pudding of sticky toffee....eyes were bigger than our belly! Very friendly staff.

1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We went to The Bell last night as we fancied a change from our usual eateries. The staff were welcoming and pleasant although they appeared to call everyone "guys". The menu was simple and the food "OK" I can't honestly say that it's as great as some of the reviews state (the main reason we chose to go here) and whilst I can't say we would never go back I personally think it will be a while. Sorry "guys"!

1  Thank familyivory
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked at the last minute for a table for 14, and everyone was extremely helpful in allowing us to get there early to dress the table for a celebration of a 50th Wedding anniversary. When we arrived we were made very welcome and the staff all happy, smiling and extremely welcoming. Once we were all seated and had managed to sort out who wanted what to drink and looked as though we were settled we were given our menus. I was surprised at the good range of meals available and the fact that they sounded as if they were all freshly made on site, which has to be a bonus in these days of freezers and microwaves (nothing worse than paying through the nose for little more than a microwaved previously prepared and frozen meal).

Once we had all ordered (even making allowances for those with unusual requests or who needed meals altered to suit their palettes) there was a little wait to be served, which did reinforce that the meals were all freshly prepared and cooked. Out of 14 meals we did not find one main course where anyone said anything unfavorable, which is a rare occurrence in this age of constant whining. My wife ordered a medium steak meal, and was expecting it to be the usual tasteless meat that seems to be the norm for meat obtained from local supermarkets and butchers. She was pleasantly surprised when the meat was superb and we are now going to try a few farm shops to see if we can find some steak that will taste half as good as this meal.

The choice of deserts was good and with 14 people all wanting them it was large enough to find something to suit everyone, all agreed they had large portions and that the deserts were really good value for money compared to other pubs and restaurants in the area.

We all had a very pleasant evening and returned home fully sated and eager to return for a further sampling of their menu. I might even try a steak next time to see just what my wife was raving about.

2  Thank Eddie B
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I visited The Bell last month with a friend for dinner. The pub was very quiet (Monday night) and there were only a couple of staff visible. We ordered drinks and took menus and went and sat by the window. The first thing I noticed were the dirty tables, and then the flies. We made our choices and ordered at the bar and then we waited. There seemed to be two teenage boys in the kitchen and two teenage girls behind the bar. We waited far longer than I would like for our dinner to arrive but when it did it was very nice. The food wasn't an issue but the service was. Once our dinner had been served the staff seemed to dismiss us. We were not asked if we wanted any sauces, we weren't offered any more drinks, we weren't given a desert menu and no one offered us coffee. We sat at our table (with the flies and the remainder of our meals on dirty plates) hoping someone would at least clear the plates so we could ask for the bill... In the end we paid at the bar and left. Had they asked, I wold have had more drinks, desert AND coffee so they missed a trick! I won't be going back which is a shame because the pub itself is really lovely. The Castle in Bradford on Avon is a fabulous place, it's a shame The Bell can't match it.

2  Thank J P