1,932 results
All reviews sands restaurant private beach no lift beach bar building work sea view st ives secret escapes reception staff coastal path restaurant staff heated pool lovely hotel stunning location spa treatments wedding party travelzoo deal
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Part smart parts faded at the bottom of a steep hill. Not an easy walk up to the station or elsewhere. During our week weather too cold for swimming or enjoying the beach and strong wiffs of chlorine from the minuscule pool at the hotel! Staff helpful but responses formulaic, eg no problem, you are welcome, enjoy which got a bit wearing. Bored after six days we left. No concessions from the management. Two menus so ample choice and food good and menus imaginative. Too expensive for what is offered. Clientele mainly retired couples, not conversational

Room Tip: Four star with pretensions but sea/beach rooms pleasant
Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
CatherineD3617, Front Office Manager at Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear John,
We note your comments. It is not clear when you visited us but perhaps come again in the summer when you can enjoy our beautiful location more. There are so many wonderful places nearby to visit. Thank you for complimenting our food.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a little wedding anniversary treat for us - we booked it through Travelzoo for overnight stay with meals. The hotel looks across Carbis bay where we had a lovely swim and later in the evening saw dolphins. We had the most delicious three course meal in the evening in very posh surroundings. Breakfast in the morning was good too and all the staff are delightful. We had some problems with our room with the shower that overflowed onto the floor which meant you had to keep turning it off and stand there whilst the outflow caught up. Also we had a room which was over the industrial extractor fan for the kitchen which meant a horrible noise which lasted until 10pm and then woke us up at 7am - accompanied with the smell of food. Complained at reception on three occasions to no avail. Still it is a lovely place and all I would advise is to call them first and make sure you aren't in a room associated with noise.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jennifer,
Pleased to hear that overall you had a good stay with us and hope to se you again. We have a wide range of accommodation options and always try to resolve any issues as far as we can although this is more difficult at particularly times. Dolphins in the bay are just thrilling. Thank you for complimenting our food.
Best regards

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel & spa has the most wonderful setting, virtually on the sandy beach with a conservatory and outside seating overlooking the bay. The food and service was top notch. The only downside for us was the climb up a steep hill to get to the railway station with our luggage! There's a lovely coastal walk to the pretty resort of St Ives.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your great review. We are just a 25 minute stroll from all the galleries and attractions in St Ives on the South West Coast Path which runs right through our grounds. Just perfect as no passing traffic and so peaceful. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

The hotel itself is great. The setting and views of the bay are incredible. The reception staff are very friendly, gave us a tour around the hotel when we arrived. Our room was small but nice. I've heard mixed reviews about the room so i think down to luck of the draw.

The pool and spa area is probably the greatest selling point. The heated pool and jacuzzi with views of the sea was great.

The Sands restaurant food is OK, i was expecting better quality from such a nice hotel maybe my expectations were set too high. The breakfast service was slow, took a while for someone to come over and take our order.

I would probably stay again but I would go for dinner elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex H

Dear Alex,
Thank you for your review and do come again. Perhaps try our Gannet Inn, also in Carbis Bay or our lovely waterfront Beach Club Restaurant.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

It was a lovely lunch but I have to say it was a shame to see that the view from the restaurant is now obstructed by a large construction site soon to be the new restaurant over looking the beach. I miss the old Carbis bay very much but what do I know !!!!!! The greatest part for me was the pianist Tom. Tom is clearly a very talented pianist his playing was a pleasure to listen to and he made our brief stay over looking the concrete construction of the future just about bareable if I closed my eyes it felt as if I was back to a time of excellence (Thank you Tom). Well I wish the Carbis bay all the best for the future but if I want to pay through the nose to stay at a Hotel which to my mind has completely gone off the rails I will be back but I doubt it !!!!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark H

Dear Mark,
We do still have beautiful views, as will our new venue which will be amazing. We hope you might return at a later date and perhaps enjoy what we are creating. Thank you for complimenting Tom.
Best regards