All reviewsthe beanvegetarian restauranttop floornon dairydaily weather forecastlarge tescost ivesevery morningbus stoplovely nightopened the doortea and coffee making facilitiesfirst floorfull englishtwin roombed and breakfasthome from home
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

The four of us took two rooms for the night. The room two of us had was quite small, but had a great view across the bay. It was clean, however the bath mat was wet. There was no one available to deal with this when we arrived. The other bedroom on the ground floor was larger. The breakfast was very good for a vegetarian, with a range of difficulty breads too. The breakfast room staff very friendly, helpful and efficient with our orders.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I booked two rooms at Coast B&B for two nights. We asked for a twin room for me and my adult daughter. On opening the door we were surprised at how close together the beds were, hardly any space around the beds to get to the make shift wardrobe, small table with cups, water jug and tea, at the end of their beds. The bathroom was so tiny it felt like a wardrobe converted into a shower space, with a toilet and minute wash basin. Basically everything was tired, old and scruffy. The ceiling light fitting was missing exposing bare wires and the window hinges were loose which meant it wasn't able to be opened just ajar, it just flew wide open which let in rain and/or left the room cold. We had to secure it with a belt in order to air the damp odour in the room. In fact, the whole house smelt slightly damp which was not good for my allergies. There was dust on several surfaces which gave us an uncomfortable feeling of not having been cleaned properly. One of the reasons we chose Coast was the vegan/ vegetarian restaurant attached, but unfortunately the breakfast didn't match our expectations. We also found the greeting service and general communications throughout our stay was rather impersonal. Overall, I feel the cost of 80 pounds per room, per night was excessive for the quality of service, size and cleaniliness.

Room Tip: Don"t know
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank PippaLlys
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at Coast just this last weekend (Thursday to Sunday) and were really pleased.

Easy to book online with no hassle at all.

We arrived at about 10pm and the restaurant; Bean Inn was in full swing which I have to say looked really nice and smelled lovely too! Check-in was fine, no issues.

I stayed in Sea Holly which was on the top floor and as soon as I opened the door the view was a definite "wow", huge window over looking Carbis bay and beyond! The room was quite small but for 1 person absolutely fine and I was more than comfortable. Little shower room again all I needed. Tea and coffee tray, hair dryer and extra pillows provided. Free wifi throughout the building.

My friend stayed in a room on the floor below which had a lovely window seat to over look the gardens and a slightly obscured sea view but still lovely nonetheless. There was a slight issue with her shower which was rectified immediately the following morning at breakfast so can't ask for more.

Breakfast was half self service for continental and a menu for hot items, I tried both the full English and banana pancakes - both great. It is vegetarian, but eggs are still on the menu and there's a choice of dairy and non-dairy milk and butter.

Parking outside was fine, we took the car each day and had no issue parking.

Gail at breakfast came round with the daily weather forecast and was able to provide guidance on things to do in addition to the information leaflets in the entrance.

The building is very old and beautiful but as you may imagine creaks and groans so if you want brand new, stay at an anonymous chain hotel.

It was about £7 into St Ives in a taxi (we used JK cars) but there is s bus stop almost right outside. We did walk back from the harbour one evening, not for the faint hearted it was a bit of a slog mostly uphill (but seemed like a good idea at the time!!) especially in the pouring rain!!

We spent our days at Portmeor beach which was about 10mins by car just across St Ives, but you could easily catch the bus.

There is a large Tesco just a minute or so down the road for any essentials.

We had a fab weekend and were made to feel so welcome by the ladies, what a gem of a B&B.

Thank-you!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenhg
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

I have visited The Bean Inn several times over the years and always wondered about the B&B. The downstairs decor and style is so pretty I always assumed the Bed & Breakfast matched.
After deciding to stay around St Ives for an extra night we looked on the Coast website to see if we could stay one night and it said two night minimum, but I saw on the calendar there were people staying Saturday and Sunday, with Friday night free so assumed it would surely do them a favour to plug the gap. I rang up and was given Gayles number, the lady who runs the B&B and rang her asking about a one night stay. She said 'yes we can do it if it helps us plug a gap'. She asked to call back after checking the calendar and how to process the booking on the system. She rang back and offered a twin room, with no offer of it being made into a double, but we were ok with that for one night. She then said 'the room will be £80, because there's a charge for a single night stay'. We felt a little irked by this as, we seemed to be paying more to help them out but, hey ho. Nonetheless we were excited to stay here and wanted a suitable vegan breakfast so we booked. When we arrived one of the chefs opened the door, gave us an envelope and said if we need anything just to ring Gayle or she would do her best to help. A little impersonal but practical all the same.
We went up the stairs and excitedly opened the door to our room Tree Mallow. The room was small, with a tree outside the window. The bathroom was a bit tight but I liked the pebble lino.

In all honesty the room decor felt a touch dated and the room felt a little unloved. The pattern on the divan base was showing, the yellows and beiges of the materials made it all look a touch dingy. There were cobwebs in the bathroom and shower and the top tiles were dirty. The light had exposed wiring. There was also a tea tray with milk and herbal teas and an empty jug, but no soya milk which I found a little odd for a place so amazing for catering to vegans. Im sure you could grab some at breakfast but perhaps on your arrival you could be given a little jug full as a suggestion although saying this, this is a no service bed and breakfast so unlikely.
The beds are comfortable and seeing the chef feed the seagulls was lovely. It's also a pleasure to give money to a vegetarian B&B and the location is fabulous. The breakfast experience is really great and there's a huge selection of cereals, fruit, and a toaster along with dairy and non dairy spreads and things. The cooked list is also great. We had the full English (vegan) which was two sausages, sautéed potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans and vegan sausages. It was lovely but would have preferred hash browns. The staff were also superbly lovely and helpful during breakfast and Gayle even prints off the weather for guests.
Overall, the room is ok, the staff are fantastic and the breakfast is A plus, but it's a touch overpriced, operates more like a hostel, and the room could do with a refresher and redecoration with inspiration from downstairs, because it could be wonderful.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2016

We stayed for a couple of nights at Coast.
First the good points:
Parking is fine and just outside the building(which for StIves is a big plus).
Location is good, not right on the road, and a nice (20min) walk into town, and a very close bus stop as well.
Food is very good (Vegetarian), particularly the Dinner menu.
Check in was effecient
Room was clean and brightly decorated
All staff were friendly and helpful
Wifi decent and free

No so good points:
Bathroom wass very small (shower only) and claustraphobic. Made by partitioning an area of the bedroom? If you are very large, you may struggle getting in the shower.
Curtains were not dark enough, once the sun was up it was quite bright in the room.

Room Tip: Front rooms have (distant) see view.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple